Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: setting up gbpvr

setting up gbpvr

hey guys.

i was just wondering if i could get a little help setting up GBPVR release 1.1.5 (i think, the most recent one). i am new to computers in general and just wanted the best player for the WinTV Nova-t-500 as the software that comes with it seems a bit rubbish.
    i say this as there isn't a guide for programs that you can see while having the program on, it seems slow and simply that the reviews and screenshots for GBPVR seem so much better.

i started by downloading the new release but as i am new to this, i was expecting a desktop icon maybe to just click for example. when this wasn't there i clicked many of the parts that now registered in the 'all programs' menu but the ones i clicked on seemed to be trying to configure or set something up and all came back with an error such as 1706 saying that it couldn't find something or other.

i would be grateful for help such as do i need to uninstall any of the hauppauge software before downloading? what do i set in any configure screens? how do i get the main user interface?

i have seen mention of net framework which i have installed right the way up to 3.0.

i appologise for how much help on this i seem to need but it seems that i need the most basic of beginners guides.

Welcome to the forums Have you seen our wiki? Unless you have, that is a really good place to start. http://www.gbpvr.com/pmwiki
    You have installed .net runtime, that is good. Did you also see that you need to install http://www.gbpvr.com/vcredist_x86.zip. to get things to work?

Check out the wiki, and post any questions you have after that
    I'm not always right
    GB-PVR 1.2.9
    Accent HT-400 Case, AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 1024MB, 1TB+300GB+180GB, WinXP Pro-SP2, NVidia 7600GT
    Nova-T USB2, PVR-350 recording from Dilog 355 DVB-T box, USB-UIRT (receiving & transmitting)

Advice from someone who also has limited computer experience

Once you read the thread, http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.php?p=239294 from start to finish, and do things set out in that thread (which it sounds like you have), you can click on the file http://www.gbpvr.com/GBPVR10105.msi Once it downloads, you should get a "Windows installer" screen. If you don't, it might mean that you have some program in place like "flashgot" which is trying to protect you from installation of programs that you didn't intend to install. If so, save the "msi" file to disk and then click on the "msi" file (it will be on your desktop as long as you download it to the desktop). An "msi" file is a windows installer file and it will create the proper directories. Generally, there will be a directory called devns and a subdirectory of that directory called gbpvr and many files as directories under that. This is where the key files exist to make the program work.

Welcome. Like you, my experience with computers is limited to using the programs and not creating them. There are lots of people here who will help you when things don't go as planned. Look at this page on the forum http://forums.gbpvr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7 and in particular, the "sticky survival guide": it describes the solutions to the main problems that others have had. Also, read the sticky "posting support" questions. There are things you can do to make it easier for others to help you if you have problems (maybe you won't). Also, try to remember to post your support questions under the subheading "support" and not under "gbpvr announcements" because otherwise it gets confusing.

Another thing that I found helpful was to edit your "signature" on the forum to list the key bits of computer that you have so that others will know what kind of help you need. For example, I am assuming you are using WindowXP: I don't know whether there is something special you have to do if with the "msi" file if you are using a MAC or what kind of video card you have, etc. If you don't know where to find this information, just ask.

Last piece of advice: ignore the extra plugins for now. Once you have the program working and you are ready for new challenges, you can start on them- there are lots of fun additions, but once you have installed them, you can't always be sure whether a new problem is the plugin or the main program. If this sounds scary, it isn't meant to be: take it one step at a time and it will work out fine.
    PVRx2 v1.4.7|Hauppauge 150 with 45 button remote & HVR1600|Cyberlink for DVD and BDA multiplexer|
    evga nvidia gforce 6200: Pentium(R)4 cpu 2.4 GHz 3 Gb ram|Windows XP: 1 MVP

Thumbs up Tip regarding 1.15 and .Net runtimes

Folks,

I was getting a problem installing GB-PVR v1.15. It was reporting a dialog box on install of "Error 1904: ... C:\Program Files\devnz\gbpvr\GBPVRWriter.ax failed to register. HRESULT -2147010895..." and several other .ax files too.

I realized that you need the MS Visual Studio .NET Framework version 3.0 contrary to a couple of posts that say 2.0 will do the trick. I am sure those posts will get updated.

Anyhow, once I did that I was away to the races! This release looks great! Thanks Sub and all who help out!

Quote Originally Posted by sh00tr View Post
    Folks,

I was getting a problem installing GB-PVR v1.15. It was reporting a dialog box on install of "Error 1904: ... C:\Program Files\devnz\gbpvr\GBPVRWriter.ax failed to register. HRESULT -2147010895..." and several other .ax files too.

I realized that you need the MS Visual Studio .NET Framework version 3.0 contrary to a couple of posts that say 2.0 will do the trick. I am sure those posts will get updated.
    Sorry, this is incorrect. You only need .net 2.0. If you read the release announcement carefully though, you'll find you overlooked the important part about requiring the vcredist_x86 runtime to be installed: http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.php?t=31113

You only need .net 3.0 if you want to try out EVR on XP. However my instinct tell me that Microsoft requires VS 2005 for this, so they included the runtime.

Martin

[IMG][/IMG]
    this seems to be saying that i dont have a card in my system but the drivers are definately on there?
    also, should i uninstall any of the software that came with the card from hauppauge?

also, am i on the right track?
    do i have to set 2 seperate capture sources as it is a dual digital card and would this be something like 'NOVA-T-500 #1 and NOVA-T-500 #2'?
    what tv guide would i set for england?
    sorry for so many questions
    Last edited by marc.knuckle; 2007-11-18 at 08:03 PM.

also, am i on the right track?
    Sort of, but you need to select the 'bda recording plugin' instead of the 'direct recording plugin'.

do i have to set 2 seperate capture sources as it is a dual digital card and would this be something like 'NOVA-T-500 #1 and NOVA-T-500 #2'?
    Yes.

what tv guide would i set for england?
    Most UK users use the xmltv grabber from here: http://www.birtles.org.uk/xmltv/

cheers sub.

i have got to here, [IMG][/IMG]
    but i dont get any channels when pressing update EPG. i downloaded that file for XMLTV but probably haven't put it correctly into the capture source part right. i went onto the EPG settings tab but couldn't fine the file even when i went into the XMLTV folder so i typer in XMLTV GUI that then came up XMLTV GUI.url. is this correct?
    [IMG][/IMG]

I've never used that xmltv software myself, so cant give you alot of details, but basically you need to run it so that it'll produce an xml file containing your tv listings. You then configure you capture sources to use the 'xmltv epg source' and point it at the xml file containing those listings.