Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Issues using S/PDIF

Issues using S/PDIF

With the switch to PVRX2, and the associated ability to use GBPVR to play DVDs (which I couldn't with my Hauppauge 350 card), I got myself an optical cable to hook the SPDIF output from my PVR to my A/V amp.

But I can't *quite* get it to work - the A/V amp reports that it is getting a digital signal, but no sound comes out. It plays 2 channel music files just fine over the SPDIF cable, tho. When I look at the audio options in the GBPVR config, I either can't see any SPDIF options, or they're greyed out.

Can anyone give any advice on getting SPDIF working?

Thanks in advance

Champ

What audio decoder are you using?

My sound card is an M-Audio Transit. That's an external USB device. I have to set the audio renderer to default wave device. You might try that.

Quote Originally Posted by scb147 View Post
    What audio decoder are you using?
    In the GBPVR config, it's set to Intervideo Non-CC Audio Decoder

My audio driver is AC97.

nvidia audio decoder is the best for getting the output you want
    ac3 filter may work aswell
    i have never been able to get cyberlink to work
    and intervideo isnt much better strange as they work fine when you use them with player they came with

Quote Originally Posted by stustunz View Post
    nvidia audio decoder is the best for getting the output you want
    OK, I've downloaded the Nvidia trial, and got some wierd results.

Under WMP11, if I turn on the NVidia SPDIF option, the sound disappears, even tho the A/V amp reports that it is getting digital input.

Under PVRX2, behaviour seems very erratic. I've spent a couple of hours trying different options, many of which cause PVRX2 to hang, but I never get consistent results. The bottom line is that I can't play DVDs with SPDIF sound output with PVRX2 either.

Given that the problem occurs in WMP11, it clearly isn't a GBPVR problem. However, I'd still like to fix it!

Any other ideas?

My sound card is built into the motherboard and it has SPDIF. The drivers for it has some settings pertaining to SPDIF output. I have to disable a bunch of Dolby crap and only have Enable SPDIF Digital Output in order for it to work.

Currently, I use the regular MPEG Audio Decoder for LiveTV/Recordings and Cyberlink Audio Decoder for DVDs.

i think the mpeg audio decoder only does 2 channel output
    ita ages since i played with spdif it was always hit and miss getting it to work
    you need to find a setting like passthrough
    then us ethe decoder just cause nvidia had no sound doesnt mean it didnt work it just means it couldnt get to the part of your system it needed to
    so what ever one you use set the decoder(spdif) to work then try different settings in your hardware ie the passthrough (stops the hardware doing anything to the signal)
    i dont know if the trial nvidia purevideo will do spdif properly anyway

do a search on ac3 filter or start a thread asking how do i set up ac3 filter.....someone will tell you

I have the M-audio Card and in it's control panel their is a option for SPDIF output.
    Does WINDVD have Digital output? or PowerDVD playing outside of PVRX2?. If you do then i had to do a Reg Edit and include them in PVRX2 and then i was able to get SPDIF output. I use Windvd and included the registry entry's that are in windvd into PVRX2.

Quote Originally Posted by stustunz View Post
    i think the mpeg audio decoder only does 2 channel output
    That's correct, but my LiveTV and Recordings are all from analog cable, so I only need 2 channels... So the MPEG Audio Decoder works for me

Oh, and I had to do the registry patch for Cyberlink to get the SPDIF to work correctly with my DVDs.
    Last edited by scb147; 2007-11-14 at 06:42 PM. Reason: Forgot to comment about Cyberlink reg patch