Thread: Decoding into mpeg

Question Decoding into mpeg

Hi,

In the config of gbpvr it's written that if I want my recordings to be decoded into mpeg I need to have ceyberlink or ati decoder.
    I just want to know that if what I download would do the job.
    I downloaded this pack of codecs:
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/...oDecS_Pack.htm
    Will it do the job?
    Where else can i download the codecs I need for the decoding?

Decoding _what_ into MPEG? The hardware encoder cards supported by GB-PVR usually produce MPEG-2 files as output.

Digital TV (e.g. ATSC, not sure about DVB-T) tuners also copy encoded MPEG data to files but multiplexed differently, e.g. dvr-ms files.

welcome!

if you want to play recordings that you have made in MPEG format, then you need an mpeg decoder such as cyberlink or ATI MPEG decoder. Or try this one

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/MPV_Decoder.htm

I would not install that codec "pack" on my HTPC. I only install what I know I need, not everything there is!
    Silverstone LC17 Case,
    ASUS P5Q, Intel E7200, 4GB RAM
    Blackgold DVB-T2, ATI 7750, Windows 7 64-bit
    SAF codec pack,Sony 40" Z5500

Quote Originally Posted by Braklet View Post
    Decoding _what_ into MPEG? The hardware encoder cards supported by GB-PVR usually produce MPEG-2 files as output.

Digital TV (e.g. ATSC, not sure about DVB-T) tuners also copy encoded MPEG data to files but multiplexed differently, e.g. dvr-ms files.
    Ohhh didn't know that...
    I've just recorded with my vmc, not with gbpvr (yet). And vmc produced dvr-ms files.
    10x for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by gEd View Post
    welcome!

if you want to play recordings that you have made in MPEG format, then you need an mpeg decoder such as cyberlink or ATI MPEG decoder. Or try this one

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/MPV_Decoder.htm

I would not install that codec "pack" on my HTPC. I only install what I know I need, not everything there is!
    Well, install all those codecs isn't so smart, isn't it.... well.... lucky me that I haven't downloaded the codecs pack yet.
    Anyway.... Isn't it written in the config that MPV plugin isn't supported by vista?! Should I be worry?
    One more thing.... the files that I downloaded (from the link you gave me) are*.ax files, and I don't know how to operate them, so how can I use these files?
    Last edited by tzafrirs; 2007-09-11 at 04:14 PM.

Copied from another forum..

For Registering/Unregistering Codecs
    This is the method to register a codec/driver:

Copy the driver file (e.g xxxxx.ax) and place it in the \WINDOWS\system32 directory.

At the command prompt, register the driver using "regsvr32 <file-name>" (for example, 'regsvr32 xxxxx.ax' ).

[Note: It's not required that the the file be in the system32 folder if you specify the right file path (e.g.' regsvr32 c:\program files\common\xxxxx.ax')]
    Generally, regsvr32 is used to register libraries (.dll), but it can also be used to individually register audio/video codecs (.ax).

For unregistering the same *.ax file goto cmd and type the same command alongwith a "/u" .. i.e 'regsvr32 /u xxxxx.ax'
    GBpvr PC: Intel Celeron 1.8 Ghz. 768 Mb WinXp Home Sp2
    Video: Diamond 128 Mb 9550
    Capture Cards: PVR-150 & PVR-150 MCE w/fm + 2x MVP
    Author of: BurnDVDX2 and Skiptool

Quote Originally Posted by tzafrirs View Post
    And vmc produced dvr-ms files.
    Ah, now I see where you're coming from.

Various shareware utilities can be used to re-multiplex dvr-ms files into regular mpg files. I use my native MPEG-2 editor (VideoReDo) to do this when I want to burn a dvr-ms video to DVD.

Free programs may also convert dvr-ms to mpg but I never looked for them.

Normally I don't need to do anything else to play dvr-ms files; my copy of GB-PVR uses the native Microsoft multiplexer to split these into video and audio streams, just like Windows Media Player.

If you can double-click a dvr-ms file and play it successfully in WMP you should be OK. You'll probably have to have a legitimate MPEG-2 decoder in the system already; that is where you might benefit from some of the free-codecs.com links.

I agree with the previous posters that installing a bunch of codecs at once is a Bad Idea and only useful for making your system less stable.

Quote Originally Posted by pastro View Post
    Copied from another forum..

For Registering/Unregistering Codecs
    This is the method to register a codec/driver:

Copy the driver file (e.g xxxxx.ax) and place it in the \WINDOWS\system32 directory.

At the command prompt, register the driver using "regsvr32 <file-name>" (for example, 'regsvr32 xxxxx.ax' ).

[Note: It's not required that the the file be in the system32 folder if you specify the right file path (e.g.' regsvr32 c:\program files\common\xxxxx.ax')]
    Generally, regsvr32 is used to register libraries (.dll), but it can also be used to individually register audio/video codecs (.ax).

For unregistering the same *.ax file goto cmd and type the same command alongwith a "/u" .. i.e 'regsvr32 /u xxxxx.ax'
    I tried to do it, but I don't know what to do here:
    http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d5...eg_problem.jpg
    ?

When you have copied it into the system32 dir:
    - click start-run
    -then type: regsvr32 mpeg2decfilter.ax

Now it should be registered and ready for use.
    AMD Athlon 64 3000, HDD: 80, 120, 200 GB, Hauppauge 350 + 150, MVP, Asus 6000L Laptop client, Asus X50sl client,
    Fritz!box 7140 modem/router, GBPVR 1.3.7.