Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Padding issue

Padding issue

I have 3 tuners in my machine - Hauppage HVR-1100 (nova-t drivers), Nova-t -500 (dual DVB tuner). So I can record 3 channels at one time. I have this little problem which happens all the time when recording More4.

My padding is set to 3 before and 10 after. But a one hour problem (I only record the one program on more4) only records for 97 minutes. It happens all the time, even though it says the recording is from 9-10pm. Normally the recording time should 1:12.56 for a one hour recording.

Anyone seen this before? quite a pain missing the last few minutes of a program. Not sure if it's a padding issue or not, another thing I though it might be doing is stopping the recording early so it can record another program on another channel using the same tuner instead of using another tuner.

Any thoughts?
    Windows XP SP2 | Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G | ATI Radeon HD3200 (HDMI Out) | AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ (3.2 GHz) | 1TB Hard Drive | 2GB RAM

we have been noticing the padding isnt working aswell as it used
    seems to not always be taken notice of

Quote Originally Posted by stustunz View Post
    we have been noticing the padding isnt working aswell as it used
    seems to not always be taken notice of
    Bollocks. I've not changed anything relating to the padding, and not seen any posts that make think there is a problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by jonb1974 View Post
    I have 3 tuners in my machine - Hauppage HVR-1100 (nova-t drivers), Nova-t -500 (dual DVB tuner). So I can record 3 channels at one time. I have this little problem which happens all the time when recording More4.

My padding is set to 3 before and 10 after. But a one hour problem (I only record the one program on more4) only records for 97 minutes. It happens all the time, even though it says the recording is from 9-10pm. Normally the recording time should 1:12.56 for a one hour recording.

Anyone seen this before? quite a pain missing the last few minutes of a program. Not sure if it's a padding issue or not, another thing I though it might be doing is stopping the recording early so it can record another program on another channel using the same tuner instead of using another tuner.

Any thoughts?
    By default GB-PVR tries to economize on its use of capture sources, and packs the recordings in as tightly as possible, minimizing the risk of conflicts etc. This can mean that two back to back recordings will be scheduled for the same capture source though, with the padding between the two not applied. To tell GB-PVR to keep use different capture sources in this scenario, to try to retain padding for both, set the following in config.xml:

<PreferAlternatingCaptureSources>true</PreferAlternatingCaptureSources>

This can become more complicated though if you have a mix of digital and analog tuners, with a different set of channels available on each.

The "97 minutes" you mention above doesnt add up regardless of how I do the sums though, so reproduce the problem, then zip and attach the logs and I'll take a look. Include a brief description of what happen to help me out when I look in the logs.

ok maybe the listings have been wrong i dunno just seems to be missing the ends and ive noticed the recording has been 30mins long when it should be 36
    i have bigger problems at the moment anyway with this other tuner terminating but ill keep posting on the other post about that

Quote Originally Posted by stustunz View Post
    ok maybe the listings have been wrong i dunno just seems to be missing the ends and ive noticed the recording has been 30mins long when it should be 36
    I'm quite happy to look at your logs to see what times the recordings started and stopped if you think padding isnt being applied.

ill keep an eye on it and make some notes if it happens again
    may have been when a recording was cancelled after it had been schedulled after the program (if that makes any sense)
    sometimes the other half deletes things without telling me
    now that i know you havent changed anything ill keep looking

Likewise, thanks heaps. I assumed 97 minutes because the nest program had 3 minute pre-padding.
    Windows XP SP2 | Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H 780G | ATI Radeon HD3200 (HDMI Out) | AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ (3.2 GHz) | 1TB Hard Drive | 2GB RAM

heres my logs shotland street was only 31mins long it should have been 37
    1 minute pre and 6min post

It seems to behaving the way I'd expect. It starts the shortland st recording at 18:59, which is the one minue pre padding, then records until 19:30 at which time it finds there is another recording scheduled to use that tuner so it stops the recording and starts the new one.

Setting the <PreferAlternatingCaptureSources>true</PreferAlternatingCaptureSources> setting I mentioned above will probably help, but keep in mind it wont effect recordings already scheduled in pending list, only new ones that get added in future.

Even with that setting though, its still possible to end up with the occassional recording scheduled for the same tuner at the time the padding was due to kick in, but this relatively rare and only happens when lots of recordings are packed into a short period and the user created scheduled recordings in a certain order.

This logic is exactly the same in previous relases though, so nothing new for 1.0.16.