Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Restarting Recording Service and Logging Out

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    136

    Restarting Recording Service and Logging Out

    Hi
    One of the reasons for my installing SlimmGBPVR was because I've been having quite a few unexplained recording service crashes recently and I thought that I'd try it to see if it could restart it. Unfortunatly I can't get it to work, when my recording service crashes SlimmGBPVR then stops responding too. I can get the Slimm menu up but as soon as you select anything that requires a call to GBPVR is stops responding and I have to kill the process and restart GBPVR manually. If I kill the recording service to test the restart the same thing happens. If the recording service is not running when Slimm is started then it starts it OK. Can you think of anything I need to check? I'm runing 1.08. I've attached some logs but can't see anything except the restarts that happen when slimm is first loaded and the recording service is not running.
    I would have persisted with it but something else was bugging me. Why does it prevent you logging out of Windows if something is recording? The recording service is a service so that won't be affected so why does it stop the log out? I'm sure there is a sensible answer, but I couldn't think was it was.
    Thanks for any help you can give.
    Simon
    Attachment 12054

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Coventry, England, UK
    Posts
    434

    Arrow Bug fixes ahoy!

    Quote Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
    One of the reasons for my installing SlimmGBPVR was because I've been having quite a few unexplained recording service crashes recently and I thought that I'd try it to see if it could restart it. Unfortunatly I can't get it to work, when my recording service crashes SlimmGBPVR then stops responding too. I can get the Slimm menu up but as soon as you select anything that requires a call to GBPVR is stops responding and I have to kill the process and restart GBPVR manually. If I kill the recording service to test the restart the same thing happens. If the recording service is not running when Slimm is started then it starts it OK. Can you think of anything I need to check? I'm runing 1.08. I've attached some logs but can't see anything except the restarts that happen when slimm is first loaded and the recording service is not running.
    While looking for some clues to this I came across the fact that the Tools->Restart Recording Service menu option didn't work! I've fixed that.

    I tried stopping my recording service (you don't have to end process it, simply open a command window Start->Run->"cmd" and type "net stop "GB-PVR Recording Service"") and Slimm restarted it for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
    I would have persisted with it but something else was bugging me. Why does it prevent you logging out of Windows if something is recording? The recording service is a service so that won't be affected so why does it stop the log out? I'm sure there is a sensible answer, but I couldn't think was it was.
    There is a sensible answer. The thought didn't cross my mind that the recording service was hosted by the System and not the current user. So now you should be able to log off while a recording is in progress.

    I have incorporated these bug fixes and issued a new release: bug fix announcement post and download link.

    Please let me know if these have helped with either of your issues. Thanks.

    PS: I need to escape from a small room that is slowly flooding but have only some ear wax and belly button fluff. Can you help?
    Akasa Zen case, AMD Phenom II X3 720, 4.00Gb Ram, Sapphire ATI Radeon 4890, Terratec Terratec Cinergy 2400i Twin Digital Tuner, 1050Gb storage, Windows 7 Home Premium.
    See my blog for releases, HD wallpapers, movie, game and anime reviews and more.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Hamilton New Zealand
    Posts
    4,439
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Slimm View Post
    PS: I need to escape from a small room that is slowly flooding but have only some ear wax and belly button fluff. Can you help?
    i was like wtf
    then cracked up
    you forgot about the 20 cent coin
    Last edited by Mister Slimm; 2007-08-04 at 09:35 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    487
    Quote Originally Posted by stustunz View Post
    i was like wtf
    then cracked up
    you forgot about the 20 cent coin
    OK, you got me here, what game is it??
    Space Quest? Commander Keen?
    -[Arjan]-
    ___________________________
    -I'm not a pessimist, just realistic-

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Coventry, England, UK
    Posts
    434
    Quote Originally Posted by SuMo View Post
    OK, you got me here, what game is it??
    Space Quest? Commander Keen?
    This thread was started by a dude named Macgyver.
    Akasa Zen case, AMD Phenom II X3 720, 4.00Gb Ram, Sapphire ATI Radeon 4890, Terratec Terratec Cinergy 2400i Twin Digital Tuner, 1050Gb storage, Windows 7 Home Premium.
    See my blog for releases, HD wallpapers, movie, game and anime reviews and more.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    136
    I've just installed your latest beta and can now log out, thanks.
    The restarting is still an issue. If I shut the Recording Service nicely, using net stop, then it restarts it. If the service crashes (or I end it) it doesn't. I've noticed, however, that it starts responding again and then does restart the recording service if I end all pvrx2 processes, of which there are 5 running as MVP servers. Net stop obviously shuts all the pvrx2 process also.
    Does that shed any light on it?

    Hope you got out of the flooding room OK, got the nickname from being able to get just about any car fixed by the side of the road, using whatever was to hand obviously. Knicker elastic was a good one for a replacement throttle return spring, but there have been many more over the years of (very) cheap motoring in various vehicles in the 'if it's not essential, it doesn't work' fleet.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Coventry, England, UK
    Posts
    434

    Unhappy

    Quote Originally Posted by macgyver View Post
    I've just installed your latest beta and can now log out, thanks.
    The restarting is still an issue. If I shut the Recording Service nicely, using net stop, then it restarts it. If the service crashes (or I end it) it doesn't. I've noticed, however, that it starts responding again and then does restart the recording service if I end all pvrx2 processes, of which there are 5 running as MVP servers. Net stop obviously shuts all the pvrx2 process also.
    Does that shed any light on it?
    It doesn't help me know what is causing the problem. It does tell me that I cannot reproduce the error here as I do not use PVXR2 (I need GB-PVR on a second screen) and I am not running MVP servers. This means that, sadly, I probably can't help any further.

    When I had an issue with the recording service crashing sub was able to stop it by having me set the following (original thread):
    For immediate relief, you can set <BDAUsePsiParser>false</BDAUsePsiParser> in config.xml. You'd need to remember to reenable it if you need to scan for channels in future. You also need to know that this "false" option is incompatible with the DVB EPG option.
    Though please don't hit me if anything goes wrong. I'm just saying what happened with my setup.

    Out of interest, you could tell me what happens when you select Tools->Tuner Status after the recording service has crashed. The information there is the information I use to detect a recording service crash.

    Can you also confirm that AutoRestartRecordingService registry key is set to True? Though it must be, because it restarts it upon startup. The exact location of the key is contained in the Slimm GB-PVR documentation.

    You should be able to set the GB-PVR Recording Service to restart itself when it crashes by going into the Recovery tab on GB-PVR Recording Service Properties page in your computer Service management console. I am not too sure how well that works though but perhaps it will help.
    Akasa Zen case, AMD Phenom II X3 720, 4.00Gb Ram, Sapphire ATI Radeon 4890, Terratec Terratec Cinergy 2400i Twin Digital Tuner, 1050Gb storage, Windows 7 Home Premium.
    See my blog for releases, HD wallpapers, movie, game and anime reviews and more.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    136
    I had a feeling you'd say you didn't run MVPs. Never mind, thanks anyway.
    If the service crashes and I try to select 'Tuner Status' Slimm stops responding, no messages, no window. The only thing I can get it to do is show the 'GBPVR status' bubble when I hover on the icon, right-click does nothing. I've just tried again and as soon as I kill the PVRX2 processes it fires up again and does a restart. You could presumably test this for yourself by enabling 1 MVP server in the GBPVR config.
    I thought I had set the recording service to auto-restart but it wasn't. Maybe it got reset during an update or re-install. I've set it now so we'll see what happens.
    Thanks again, I do like the app and use it even more than I thought I would.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •