Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teletext or DVB Subtitles - how to get them working?

Teletext or DVB Subtitles - how to get them working?

Hello!

I've been using Media Portal for a while and it seems the DVB-subtitles are a never ending story for MP-team. So I decided to try out GBPVR and seems to work mostly fine.

But after a couple of hours of torturing itself with the configuration utility, I see still no subtitles of any kind. No teletext or DVB subtitles. Things I have tried so far:

-Enabling DVB-subtitles in configuration utility
    -Setting subtitles language to "fin" in config.xml
    -Switching different renderers like VMR9 and overlay manager
    -Smashing a concrete wall =)

So, no results and if I press CTRL +Y it leads to an error: "Trying to read or write protected memory..."

Any suggestions on this issue would be nice, please let me know if you have got subs working or if they worked with any previous version. Should I post some logs or configs files in order to help figuring things out? Thank you for your time!

where do you live?

Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    -Setting subtitles language to "fin" in config.xml
    From this I would assume Finland.

Yeah, thats true, I live in Finland...

From this thread you can see that sub is looking into this as soon as NZ-broadcast of DVB-T has started.

From the post it should have been a while ago (early may) but nothing new on any work being performed on this yet.

I see two likely scenarios:

• a) It's actually part of the (very soon to be released?) 1.0.x
    • b) Due to whatever reason (no NZ-DVB-T transmissions still, time spent on other features for a), problems in beta causing it to be pulled ) subtitles are postponed for later release

Short answer however is, that in the current version there is no subtitle support.

Keep fingers crossed for a) above

/Niels
    Happy user since October 2004
    ESXi 5 on SuperMicro X9SCM-F | Xeon E3-1230 | Windows 7 (on ESXi) | nPVR 3.2.9
    2*HDHomeRun | XBMC on PC and RaspPI | Remote: Logitech Harmony 900 | Storage: unRAID file server 17TB+ |

Teletext or DVB Subtitles - how to get them working?
    Teletext subtitles should work ok in the current release. With teletext enabled, have you entered the page numbers on the capture source channel?

Unfortunately you wont fare aswell with DVB Subtitle. We dont have DVB Subtitles in NZ, so its only really had minimal time spent on it. It used to sort of work for live tv (not recordings) but somewhere along the way got broken. I hope to fix it again in a future release. I'll be honest though, its not a big priority for me.

Quote Originally Posted by nia View Post
    From this thread you can see that sub is looking into this as soon as NZ-broadcast of DVB-T has started.

From the post it should have been a while ago (early may) but nothing new on any work being performed on this yet.

I see two likely scenarios:
    • a) It's actually part of the (very soon to be released?) 1.0.x
    • b) Due to whatever reason (no NZ-DVB-T transmissions still, time spent on other features for a), problems in beta causing it to be pulled ) subtitles are postponed for later release
    Short answer however is, that in the current version there is no subtitle support.
    Unfortunately, DVB Subtitles didnt materialise with the launch of the New Zealand Freeview service. Unfortunately they had been saying 'DVB Subtitles' but actually meaning 'Teletext Subtitles'.

So this means no change on this front for 1.0.x. Sorry.

Oh... that's a pitty, but teletext subtitles? I mentioned them in the title but didn't test more than just putting the page number there. Do they work with my digital card Terratec 2400i DT because I entered page number there n d no results. I thought they were analog only, could it be the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Reko View Post
    Oh... that's a pitty, but teletext subtitles? I mentioned them in the title but didn't test more than just putting the page number there. Do they work with my digital card Terratec 2400i DT because I entered page number there n d no results. I thought they were analog only, could it be the problem?
    It depends what system is used by your broadcaster. Some countries chose to use teletext subtitles with DVB instead of moving to DVB Subtitles (for example, NZ, Sweden, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by sub View Post
    Unfortunately, DVB Subtitles didnt materialise with the launch of the New Zealand Freeview service. Unfortunately they had been saying 'DVB Subtitles' but actually meaning 'Teletext Subtitles'.

So this means no change on this front for 1.0.x. Sorry.
    That brings me back to an 'offer' made also by others ealier: I would be more than happy to provide you with whatever transport stream you would need in order for you to analyze. And of course also test any resulting alpha/beta code

Just say the word.

For many where English (or whatever other language a show is broadcast in) is the second/third/... language; subtitles are somewhere between nice to have and an absolute necessity!

Although I understand this is not a priority for native English speaking people like you, I hope it makes it to someplace not too low on the list

Brgds,
    Niels
    Happy user since October 2004
    ESXi 5 on SuperMicro X9SCM-F | Xeon E3-1230 | Windows 7 (on ESXi) | nPVR 3.2.9
    2*HDHomeRun | XBMC on PC and RaspPI | Remote: Logitech Harmony 900 | Storage: unRAID file server 17TB+ |