Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36

Thread: Introducing mvpmc

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    HK - Pal I
    Posts
    2,919
    Hi martin

    Wow, extraordinary piece of work-in-a-Dongle. Kudos. 1
    I have queries & suggestion (10 Feb 07 Daily Build). I played around with a few of the other menus, changed VLC server IP (even though I don't run a aVLC server, yet ..)

    1. The Music Client does not seem ready yet, just a funny sort of screen and when I went back out one time it crashed?
    2. I power off each night so the next Recording Widget on the MVP doesn't disturb GBPVR IF I run GBPVR on the PC. When you power off it goes through the loading application stuff each time (maybe an option to hide the ugly stuff at some stage and just have a progress bar with "loading application" :-). The first time it reconnected to GBPVR immediately, 2nd time on attempt 18/30, 16/30 on the third. That whole process seems to take longer than the native dongle?
    3. Any possibility that you can set it default to emulation mode, so wife can turn it on with green button and it just finds the GBPVR server, rather than manually choosing emulation mode (not sure how you'd change it back OUT of that, though... SCRAP THAT, I see you've done it in the Web Part...SO Darn GOOD, it has to become the default dongle!!

    Just some thoughts..

    k.

    btw how good is that Web-access!! It's GREAT. I static-IP my MediaMVP (WRT54GS with Thibor 15c) to an IP that I give a name http://mediamvp.lounge/ ... Awesome!
    Last edited by jksmurf; 2008-04-27 at 02:25 PM.
    ASUS P5K-PRO Q9300 @ 2.5GHz | Win7 x64 | 6GB RAM | ATI Radeon HD3400 PCIe Video Card | 1 x PVR-150 | 2 x WinTV DMB-TH | Various HD's | AC66U | USB-UIRT | PCH-A100 |
    If you've ever become frustrated because something in GBPVR or NPVR is not working, take a moment and consider this and this and this and this and this and this. Credit where credit's due; for one guy (with a wife and two kids), most problems are solved outrageously quickly. Patience.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    20,742
    Quote Originally Posted by jksmurf View Post
    1. The Music Client does not seem ready yet, just a funny sort of screen and when I went back out one time it crashed?
    MClient is the Interface to SlimServer which might not be what you are looking for. I will pass on your comments to the developer, he just put a change into the nightlies.

    The interface to multimedia files is just the file system browser. For this to be useful you would need to have files on a share or a UPnP server, but in /usr/share/playlist there is a file default.m3u that has some native streaming examples.

    2. I power off each night so the next Recording Widget on the MVP doesn't disturb GBPVR IF I run GBPVR on the PC. When you power off it goes through the loading application stuff each time (maybe an option to hide the ugly stuff at some stage and just have a progress bar with "loading application" :-). The first time it reconnected to GBPVR immediately, 2nd time on attempt 18/30, 16/30 on the third. That whole process seems to take longer than the native dongle?
    I'm not sure what is too bad about the login info. The nightlies do have on long string of data
    to identify the source code so it can be rebuilt, if we find a problem. For a normal release it is just the release number.

    One thing I would like to do is compare the login timings, do you run the dongle that sub distributes?

    3. Any possibility that you can set it default to emulation mode, so wife can turn it on with green button and it just finds the GBPVR server, rather than manually choosing emulation mode (not sure how you'd change it back OUT of that, though...
    I posted some instructions on this in the install thread, but no promises about the WAF yet.

    Martin

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    HK - Pal I
    Posts
    2,919
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallevand View Post
    MClient is the Interface to SlimServer which might not be what you are looking for. I will pass on your comments to the developer, he just put a change into the nightlies.

    The interface to multimedia files is just the file system browser. For this to be useful you would need to have files on a share or a UPnP server, but in /usr/share/playlist there is a file default.m3u that has some native streaming examples.
    Cheers, yeah I wouldn't use it, just an observation.

    Quote Originally Posted by mvallevand View Post
    I'm not sure what is too bad about the login info. The nightlies do have on long string of data to identify the source code so it can be rebuilt, if we find a problem. For a normal release it is just the release number.
    Don't get me wrong it's just reducing it so WAF is not affected.... :-)

    Quote Originally Posted by mvallevand View Post
    One thing I would like to do is compare the login timings, do you run the dongle that sub distributes?
    Nope, the latest shs version...

    Quote Originally Posted by mvallevand View Post
    I posted some instructions on this in the install thread, but no promises about the WAF yet.
    No worries about WAF, but those instructions about modifying the bin look a bot scary...any chance of that becoming web-page configurable?

    k.
    Last edited by jksmurf; 2007-02-11 at 05:41 AM.
    ASUS P5K-PRO Q9300 @ 2.5GHz | Win7 x64 | 6GB RAM | ATI Radeon HD3400 PCIe Video Card | 1 x PVR-150 | 2 x WinTV DMB-TH | Various HD's | AC66U | USB-UIRT | PCH-A100 |
    If you've ever become frustrated because something in GBPVR or NPVR is not working, take a moment and consider this and this and this and this and this and this. Credit where credit's due; for one guy (with a wife and two kids), most problems are solved outrageously quickly. Patience.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    20,742
    Quote Originally Posted by jksmurf View Post
    The first time it reconnected to GBPVR immediately, 2nd time on attempt 18/30, 16/30 on the third. That whole process seems to take longer than the native dongle?
    I just thought of something about this, planning on how I was going to test this tomorrow. Are you saying that the Hauppauge dongle immediately reconnects to GB-PVR after a power off/power on for you? For me, the GB-PVR MVP Server always waits 20 seconds until I get one of these in the logs

    MVP data taking too long, connection must have been dropped!

    Anytime after these first 20 seconds, the connection is the typical 1 or 2 seconds.

    Martin

  5. #15
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    20,742
    Quote Originally Posted by jksmurf View Post
    No worries about WAF, but those instructions about modifying the bin look a bot scary...any chance of that becoming web-page configurable?
    Actually you don't modify the bin, you just create a text file dongle.bin.config with a one line entry

    mvpmc --startup emulate --emulate ?

    In any case it is also web configurable. In the option "Startup Item:" select Emulation and then push the "Update Config" button. The trouble with this is it doesn't get saved and it is lost on a hard reboot. I have talked with the Hauppauge developers and we will be able to store all the mvpmc configuration options in flash, but it will be tested a lot before users will see it.

    Martin

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    HK - Pal I
    Posts
    2,919
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallevand View Post
    Are you saying that the Hauppauge dongle immediately reconnects to GB-PVR after a power off/power on for you?
    It's reasonably quick tbh. The later H dongles have an server IP you choose. But yours worked well the first time and was also very quickafter restarting GBPVR. It was just subsequent loads. I was testing this as I use power off every day.

    k.
    ASUS P5K-PRO Q9300 @ 2.5GHz | Win7 x64 | 6GB RAM | ATI Radeon HD3400 PCIe Video Card | 1 x PVR-150 | 2 x WinTV DMB-TH | Various HD's | AC66U | USB-UIRT | PCH-A100 |
    If you've ever become frustrated because something in GBPVR or NPVR is not working, take a moment and consider this and this and this and this and this and this. Credit where credit's due; for one guy (with a wife and two kids), most problems are solved outrageously quickly. Patience.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    HK - Pal I
    Posts
    2,919
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallevand View Post
    Actually you don't modify the bin, you just create a text file dongle.bin.config with a one line entry

    mvpmc --startup emulate --emulate ?
    Ah ... OK. I'm just thinking for "general use" for an easy way to achieve this...

    Quote Originally Posted by mvallevand View Post
    In any case it is also web configurable. In the option "Startup Item:" select Emulation and then push the "Update Config" button. The trouble with this is it doesn't get saved and it is lost on a hard reboot.
    Yes, I saw and I tried this. It looked like the business.... (teh cat's pyajamas actually) but. it didn't save...

    Quote Originally Posted by mvallevand View Post
    I have talked with the Hauppauge developers and we will be able to store all the mvpmc configuration options in flash, but it will be tested a lot before users will see it. Martin
    Wow, Coolio!!

    k.
    ASUS P5K-PRO Q9300 @ 2.5GHz | Win7 x64 | 6GB RAM | ATI Radeon HD3400 PCIe Video Card | 1 x PVR-150 | 2 x WinTV DMB-TH | Various HD's | AC66U | USB-UIRT | PCH-A100 |
    If you've ever become frustrated because something in GBPVR or NPVR is not working, take a moment and consider this and this and this and this and this and this. Credit where credit's due; for one guy (with a wife and two kids), most problems are solved outrageously quickly. Patience.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    20,742
    Quote Originally Posted by jksmurf View Post
    It's reasonably quick tbh. The later H dongles have an server IP you choose. But yours worked well the first time and was also very quickafter restarting GBPVR. It was just subsequent loads. I was testing this as I use power off every day.
    I don't see this quick restart at all, using the 1.51 dongle on an older model I get the Contacting Server message for the 20 second period it takes gb-pvr to reset. On the model H it is actually worse because once I get a failed to contact gui message. I end up in the setup screen which requires a key press to get out of the preferred server screen, which would even delay longer if I hit Ok and not Back because it writes to flash, and then I have to press even more keys to select Go on a wMVP.

    This is really a theoretical problem because in reality there aren't many times that you will want to power off and on in the 20 second window but it is interesting how we see such different behaviour with the Hauppauge dongle.

    Martin

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Camborne, Porirua, NZ
    Posts
    1,228
    I'm trying the latest nightly on a Vista m/c. The dongle loads OK and I can navigate around the menu but many functions don't work. LiveTV (reboots), music (nothing happens) , videos (reboots) don't work. Displaying photos, TV Guide, Find does work.

    After a reboot, the first button press is swallowed.

    But it does communicate under Vista which is a plus! However, the above problems don't make it a likely replacement just yet, unfortunately.
    C2Duo E8400, 4GB, GE8600GT, PCH A-100, HVR2200, NPVR 1.5.31, Win 7 x64.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    20,742
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallevand View Post
    I don't see this quick restart at all, using the 1.51 dongle on an older model I get the Contacting Server message for the 20 second period it takes gb-pvr to reset. On the model H it is actually worse because once I get a failed to contact gui message. I end up in the setup screen which requires a key press to get out of the preferred server screen, which would even delay longer if I hit Ok and not Back because it writes to flash, and then I have to press even more keys to select Go on a wMVP.
    jksmurf, as a follow up, when I configure gbpvr to auto start more then one server even the added 20 second delay goes away so I am not sure why you are seeing the problem you do.

    Martin

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •