Thread: Show info and renaming confusion

Show info and renaming confusion

I do not understand where all the info for a show is stored and how the filename of the recording and the database play into it all. Maybe someone can help me understand. It may help if you know what it is I'd like to do...

First thing I'd like is a way to quickly change the filename of the file, manually (while sitting at the PC...no MVP requirement), to something more meaningful to me...but have it still work with GBPVR. My worry is if I change the filename it will be lost...the db will no longer know where it is or what its called...is this true or not?

Second...in case I need help with determining a new name for the file I'd like to "view show info" to remember a bit about the episode...then I can rename it.

I am fine with doing this all through windows explorer for now, but ultimately through GBPVR would be great...or through something like Slim's tray utility...that would be really sweet!!

First thing I'd like is a way to quickly change the filename of the file, manually (while sitting at the PC...no MVP requirement), to something more meaningful to me...but have it still work with GBPVR. My worry is if I change the filename it will be lost...the db will no longer know where it is or what its called...is this true or not?
    Unfortunately thats correct. GB-PVR stores all the show info in its database, and references the recording by filename. If you change the filename, and the database isnt updated, then GB-PVR no longer has that link.

There is no renaming functionality currently built into GB-PVR.

there are two utilities that will rename the file automatically after the recording is complete. check out addepisode and renamerecording on the wiki under utilities. they will not allow you to rename each file differently, but addepisode does allow quite a bit of customization.

if this does not fit your needs and you still want to rename each file selectively, you will have to both rename the actual file, and change the filename in the database. You can get a free sqlite database editor after a short search on google...