Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Recording Service CPU usage

I don't have firewalls active and while the recording service isn't crashing, it is using at lot of CPU and live tv etc gets real jerky. Once I restart the service things return normal.

Suggestions on tracking down the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Codiak View Post
    I don't have firewalls active and while the recording service isn't crashing, it is using at lot of CPU and live tv etc gets real jerky. Once I restart the service things return normal.

Suggestions on tracking down the issue?
    How much CPU is it using, and what is it doing at the time?

23% as reported by Perfmon system utilized and 11% after service restart.
    I'm running WinXP Pro 32bit on a Dual Xeon 3.6 Nocona system so 23% is significant.

At the time of the measurement there all usage was idle, with a single show scheduled for recording 12hour into the future.

I cant really think of any reason off hand. It wasnt the hour it normaly does the EPG update?

If you've got the web server enabled, try disabling it to see if it helps.

No EPG update was scheduled for hours previously. I do have the web server enabled a will disable it for a while (Though the the web service is one of the features I love about GBPVR

As a side note... I do use the GB-PVR MediaMVP Server as well... I just noticed that while watching CNN and starting the MediaMVP server there was a playback stall, and audio got out of sync. Exiting playback and resolicting the show cleared up the audio issue. Not sure if thing are related but I hate when I only get part of the story

I do have the web server enabled a will disable it for a while (Though the the web service is one of the features I love about GBPVR
    It was more of a suggestion to temporarily disable it to check if it was the cause. I mentioned it because in the past a couple of people have had problem with the web support causing high CPU usage.

What plugins are you using? Sometimes they can cause big spikes in CPU usage. You may want to disable them, then monitor the usage and see if there is any difference.
    Server= Asus M3A78-EM, 4 gigs ram, AMD A64 5200+, Windows 7 home premium 32, 1 HVR-1800, 1 PCH A-100, Test Rig, Biostar 880g+, AMD X2 260, 4 gb ram, Windows, 7 Home Premium 32, 1 DCR-2650 cablecard tuner

Only plug in I have is for weather and this behavior preexisted the plugin.

Checking the system today showed the same higher then expected CPU usage... 22% restarting the recording service was 12%

Did you try my suggestion of disbaling the web server?