Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: converting files for Creative Zen Vision: M

converting files for Creative Zen Vision: M

I just recently got a Zen Vision: M (competator to IPod Video) and wanted some suggestions on how to convert the video files so that it will play them. if i just drag and drop the files onto the player, the player says that it can not play the files due to the bitrate. so obviously i need to convert them. i know there is a conversion setting in the config. how does this work? also, i've tried to transcode my files in the video library, but when i hit "transcode" and select my output and hit start, nothing happens. some suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

You have a ton of different options. First off, be sure you understand the Vision:M playback abilities

Codecs:
    • MPEG-1,
      Resolution - 640 x 480
      Framerate - Up to 30fps
      Bitrate - 1.15 Mbps
      Audio - 384 Kbps MP2
    • MPEG-2,
      Resolution - 640 x 480
      Framerate - Up to 30fps
      Bitrate - 2.5 Mbps
      Audio - 160 Kbps MP3
    • MPEG-4-SP, Divx, Xvid
      Resolution - 640 x 480
      Framerate - Up to 30 fps
      Bitrate - 2.0 Mbps
      Audio - 320 Kbps MP3
    • Windows Media Video (WMV) 9
      Resolution - 320 x 240
      Framerate - Up to 30fps
      Bitrate - 736 Kbps*
      Audio - 160 Kbps WMA*

So with all that, your options are:

1. The CD that came with your Zen should have a converting utility that will transcode your files to WMV. If you use this program, make sure you use the highest quality setting.

2. You can use the files that GBPVR creates without any transcoding by ensuring that the recording settings meet the MPEG-2 requirements above. I have not yet had a problem transfering my GBPVR recordings to my Zen VisionM.

3. You can convert to MP4. I preffer the Xvid codec as opposed to Divx or WMV. There is a program called AutoGK to convert mpg to an .avi encoded with Xvid. Just make sure your resolution doesnt exceed 640x480, and you use a quality setting around 50-75%.

4. There are other transcoding aps out there like Windows Media Encoder, Nero Recode, Gordian Knott (More advanced version of AutoGK), Divx encoding apps, etc...

thanks for all the helpful tips. so i think i realize what the problem is, but i'm not sure how to fix it. when i look at the original mpeg file that is created by gbpvr the resolution is 720x480 not the normal 640x480. i don't know why or how to change it... thanks for the help!

Be aware that autogk is well known to contain spyware.

See here: http://www.divx-digest.com/software/autogk.html

I have used this program, but why not use stattiks transcoding plugin. I am planning on setting it up to convert files for my archos 604 in the next few days.
    SageTV Refugee

BTW, 720x480 is the normal resolution for ntsc TV.
    SageTV Refugee

ok, so forgive me for my noobish questions. what is the bitrate that is outputed by gbpvr? i initially put the recorded shows on my vision: m, but it would not play them b/c of the bit rate. i was hoping to just drag and drop my recordings w/o having to do any conversion. is this possible?

Quote Originally Posted by Iootnega View Post
    2. You can use the files that GBPVR creates without any transcoding by ensuring that the recording settings meet the MPEG-2 requirements above. I have not yet had a problem transfering my GBPVR recordings to my Zen VisionM.
    Where do you set the setting to 640 X 480? So do you setup one of the GB-PVR recording profiles for files you are going to copy to the Vision:M? The closest setting I have is 480 X 480, which doesn't seem like it would scale well.

I had the Vision:M and ended up returning it. I tried to drag and drop a recorded file from GB-PVR and it would say the format is not supported. I would then let it try an convert the file through Creative's converter and it would give one of those real helpful error messages... 'conversion failed' or something like that... no seriously, that error was real helpful. It like that one screen shot I've seen that says "Error loading error message."

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like alot of work to record Conan in the overnight, throw it on the player to watch on my way into work, but to also have the option of burning the show to DVD if he has good guests.

Quote Originally Posted by dgeezer View Post
    Be aware that autogk is well known to contain spyware.

See here: http://www.divx-digest.com/software/autogk.html

I have used this program, but why not use stattiks transcoding plugin. I am planning on setting it up to convert files for my archos 604 in the next few days.
    No, it has not had any spyware since version 2. Its a clean program.

Quote Originally Posted by FirstTeamOPS View Post
    Where do you set the setting to 640 X 480? So do you setup one of the GB-PVR recording profiles for files you are going to copy to the Vision:M? The closest setting I have is 480 X 480, which doesn't seem like it would scale well.

I had the Vision:M and ended up returning it. I tried to drag and drop a recorded file from GB-PVR and it would say the format is not supported. I would then let it try an convert the file through Creative's converter and it would give one of those real helpful error messages... 'conversion failed' or something like that... no seriously, that error was real helpful. It like that one screen shot I've seen that says "Error loading error message."

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like alot of work to record Conan in the overnight, throw it on the player to watch on my way into work, but to also have the option of burning the show to DVD if he has good guests.

Yes, I have a recording profile set up just for things I want to put on my Zen. For resolution, the Zen is capable of playing up to 640x480, the screen itself is only 320x240, so for things that I only want to put on the Zen, using a high res isnt necessary.

Ah, OK... just wondered if there was some neat trick I wasn't aware of.