Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 0.97.13 cannot communicate with recording service

0.97.13 cannot communicate with recording service

Hi sub and all other deverlopers,

it's me again.

Since I upgraded to 0.97.13 I've seen the following problem for at least two times:
    • I do the programming of a show via the tv guide
    • the machine goes down to hibernate
    • the machine does not wake up to wake the programmed show
    • if I wake up the machine manually, the gbpvr frontend says that the show will be "soon recording", even when the begin time has already passed
    • if I try to cancel the programmed (but not recording) show via the tv guide (in order to do the programming once again), an error message occurs "cannot communicate with recording service"
    • if I look in the system tray, gbpvr's recording service says, all tuners are "sleeping"
    • if I say "restart recording service" via the system tray icon's menu, the missed recording starts normally (if the show is still on air)

This phenomenon never ever happened with the older version 0.93.10; this version never ever failed doing the recording (without any exception).

Will this problem be gone, when I have updated to the recent version?

Will it help to restart the recording service every time the machine comes from hibernate (at the moment, I only start the frontend in order to make my XCard work)?

Isn't it very strange that the wake-up from hibernate didn't work?

Greetings, Alex
    AOpen i855GMEm-LFS, Celeron M 360, 512 MB DDR-333, 1xSamsung 160GB IDE HDD (System+Archive), 1xSeagate 500 GB IDE HDD (Data), LiteOn SOHW-1653SX extern DVD drive, 2xHauppauge PVR150, Sigma XCard, fanless 350 W power supply, WinXP Pro SP2, ParaLED Plugin & self-built LED status monitor (sexy )

0.97.13 cannot communicate with recording service
    This is nearly always because the recording service has died. There is only one known problem that causes this, and it affects all the .net 2.0 builds (including v0.97.13 and v0.98.8). It relates to an incompatibility with your antivirus or firewall software.

Read about it and fix in the sticky 'v0.98.8 survival guide' thread: http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.php?t=19525

Thank you sub.
    It relates to an incompatibility with your antivirus or firewall software.
    I have no antivirus software (my machine is not connected to the internet).
    I have no special firewall but only the firewall software that comes with windows XP. Can this software also be the reason for this problem?

Alex
    AOpen i855GMEm-LFS, Celeron M 360, 512 MB DDR-333, 1xSamsung 160GB IDE HDD (System+Archive), 1xSeagate 500 GB IDE HDD (Data), LiteOn SOHW-1653SX extern DVD drive, 2xHauppauge PVR150, Sigma XCard, fanless 350 W power supply, WinXP Pro SP2, ParaLED Plugin & self-built LED status monitor (sexy )

No, the build in windows firewall wont cause this.

Next time it happens, check in the task list to see if GBPVRRecordingService.exe is listed as running. If it isnt, then it has crashed, and you should check the Windows Event Viewer for details about what caused the crash. Post this info along with the GBPVRRecordingService.exe.log and I'll take a look.

Hi sub,

check in the task list to see if GBPVRRecordingService.exe is listed as running
    I tried this out: a recording didn't start, so I had a look in the task list. GBPVRRecordingService.exe was still listed! The tray icom was still there, too. Does this mean the recording service did not die?

I attach a zip of my logs, I saw that gbpvr.exe.log reports an error at 28.09.2006 23:51:23.328. Hopefully you can find out what's happening.

Alex

Sorry, but... which show didn't start, and when did you expect it to start recording?
    I'm not always right
    GB-PVR 1.2.9
    Accent HT-400 Case, AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 1024MB, 1TB+300GB+180GB, WinXP Pro-SP2, NVidia 7600GT
    Nova-T USB2, PVR-350 recording from Dilog 355 DVB-T box, USB-UIRT (receiving & transmitting)

Sorry, I dont know. I had a good look at the logs but cant see any obvious case. Maybe try upgrading to v0.98.8.

Quote Originally Posted by stefan
    Sorry, but... which show didn't start, and when did you expect it to start recording?
    In order to reproduce the problem, I did the programming for a show that was already running, see log file GBPPVR.exe.log

28.09.2006 23:51:10.062 VERBOSE [1] Looking for capture source to record: Little Britain

Then I saw that the recording did not start, tried to delete it in the TV guide, and then the error message occured.

28.09.2006 23:51:23.328 VERBOSE [1] exception: GBPVR.Backend.Common.GbpvrException: Failed to communicate with the Recording Service.

Do you have any idea?

Alex

Nah... sorry, but I have no ideas...
    I'm not always right
    GB-PVR 1.2.9
    Accent HT-400 Case, AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 1024MB, 1TB+300GB+180GB, WinXP Pro-SP2, NVidia 7600GT
    Nova-T USB2, PVR-350 recording from Dilog 355 DVB-T box, USB-UIRT (receiving & transmitting)

Hi again,

perhaps I have new news: I realized some strange behaviour of the tv guide (i could explain, if necessary) - so I had the idea to hit the "empty epg"-button in the config. I did this sperately for both of my capture sources.

After that I thought that there shouldn't be ANY scheduled recordings anymore (as was written in the warning that I had to confirm after pressing the "empty epg"-button).

But: there was still ONE scheduled recording. Obviously my tv guide is completely puzzled, perhaps anybody can find out, why? What can I do to flush the tvguide completely? I have not changed to sqlite yet.

Alex
    Last edited by alex060670; 2006-10-01 at 04:38 PM.