Thread: Network Video Stream

Is it possible to play an mpeg network video stream, in a similar way to being able to play the internet radio streams.

If this is currently supported, or could be included, I could then write a plugin to remotely control a VideoLan server to play dvd's, divx, and many other media types.

That sounds a brilliant idea I *presume* the play function takes in a filename, wouldn't have thought it would be too hard to accept the stream rather than the filename.

Any chance of this??

I have been messing around with the VLC media player to produce an MPEG stream transcoded from a DIVX file, and also tried a usb webcam. The transcoding process works great, and at very high quality, utilising much less CPU than the hauppauge software seems to use.

The application can be controlled via a web interface so it should be very easy for me to write a GBPVR plugin to control what files/streams/webcams are played, and to control palyback.

The data can be streamed using a variety of protocols, including HTTP, MMS, UDP etc. Would it be possible to incorporate support for any of these formats?

If there was a chance that support could be included I could make a start on the plugin.

This sounds like a good solution to enable the playing of DivX on a MVP (something I added to the wishlist topic earlier). I too would be really interested if any thought has gone into this idea of playing video files through a network stream.

just add the network directory to you directories in config and away you go, it works now, watching one a remote file as we, well i type

aslong as the remote pc is setup in your windows network it should work

Is that not just for watching files from a network share. I don't think you can add a network stream in the same way. By stream I am refering to connecting to a video stream URL eg. MMS://192.168.0.4:1234.

Basically the same sort of stream that your are talking about in this thread
    http://gbpvr.com/cgi-bin....3;t=319

oh now i get you, apparently the latest release of the picture viewer plugin can stream internet videos if you just dump the url in an text file with the extension .url