Thread: Recording & still using PC for internet

Recording & still using PC for internet

Hi all,

I'm looking at building a PVR to replace my Tivo (UK, so a Series1 ) and after reading lots of pages I think that GB PVR will be the software I will use. I have alot of the components already in my present PC and my main hardware would be the following:

P4 2.8ghz
    1gb DDR 2700
    200gb HDD
    Nova-T DVB Tv Card
    and...
    Asus P4RD1-MX motherboard

The case I'm looking at will only allow 1 PCI/AGP card and obviously this would be used by the Nova-T TV card, hence the motherboard has onboard VGA and sound. The onboard VGA uses Radeon X300 (DX9 support). I've done loads of searches via google but cannot find any reviews of this motherboard

My main question is would this setup be sufficent to record in the background and still use the PC for internet surfing and downloading at the same time without causing the video to be jerky or suffer pops in the sound etc

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions gratefully received
    Ian

i'm using a rather antique system (pvr only). but sometimes while watching a movie and i find myself wondering 'i _know_ this actor from somwhere...' i fire up a browser (with a wireless keyboard normally hidden in a drawer) and go to imdb.com

i did this once while i was watching something and recording two other things at the same time.

live tv began to stutter a bit (while the browser was started), but the recordings did not suffer any 'damage' at all.

so you most certainly will not experience any trouble.
    AMD 1600mHz, 512 M RAM, 20+160 GB drive, Hauppauge PVR-350 + PVR-150 + PVR-150MCE, Win XP Pro SP3, using software decoding.

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

(The Restaurant at the End of the Universe)

Welcome to the board. Since the capture card has hardware compression, and hence does all the work when recording, the only thing the computer does (well, almost, at least) is put the mpeg down on the disk, so you should be ok, just as betlit says.
    I'm not always right
    GB-PVR 1.2.9
    Accent HT-400 Case, AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 1024MB, 1TB+300GB+180GB, WinXP Pro-SP2, NVidia 7600GT
    Nova-T USB2, PVR-350 recording from Dilog 355 DVB-T box, USB-UIRT (receiving & transmitting)

--> Iangale welcome to the board. I think you should be more than fine. However, you have to worry about how are you going to output your signal to the TV (does your onboard video support s-video or something similar? or does your TV support db15?)

--> Betlit what video decoder do you use? I use a 1.4 Ghz system (AMD, I know, shame on me) and a single PVR-150 exclusively for GBPVR and I notice it sometimes is jerkey in playback and live tv. Thanks!
    Setup: AMD 1.4 GHz, 256 MB RAM, 128 MB Video Card, 200 GB HDD, PVR-150 MCE

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger11
    --> Betlit what video decoder do you use? I use a 1.4 Ghz system (AMD, I know, shame on me) and a single PVR-150 exclusively for GBPVR and I notice it sometimes is jerkey in playback and live tv.
    shame on you? why? i have amd and intel machines here.. i do not think one can define itself by the cpu he's using... (or car, or motorcycle, etc. *g*)
    i use the intervideo noncss video decoder (i think they come with the hauppauge drivers).
    AMD 1600mHz, 512 M RAM, 20+160 GB drive, Hauppauge PVR-350 + PVR-150 + PVR-150MCE, Win XP Pro SP3, using software decoding.

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

(The Restaurant at the End of the Universe)

Quote Originally Posted by betlit
    shame on you? why? i have amd and intel machines here.. i do not think one can define itself by the cpu he's using... (or car, or motorcycle, etc. *g*)
    i use the intervideo noncss video decoder (i think they come with the hauppauge drivers).
    Thanks for the info.

Shame on me: lol that is an insight joke. You see I have always prevented my friends from buying AMDs, telling them they suck, but then found a terrific deal on a used AMD so I bought it, hence 'shame on me'.
    Setup: AMD 1.4 GHz, 256 MB RAM, 128 MB Video Card, 200 GB HDD, PVR-150 MCE