Thread: Hauppauge alternatives?

Hauppauge alternatives?

Been runing GBPVR for a few months now with a PVR-150. Thinking of adding another tuner and am looking at the options. Obviously another 150 or even a 500 should be easy to add. But just wondering does anyone use or considered this card:

http://www.club-3d.nl/distri/product...ode=ZAP-TV1100

It also uses a conexant chip. Could it be used by GBPVR?

Nah I wouldnt get that. For analog cards, I'd pretty much only recommand a Hauppauge card, ATI 550 pro or Sapphire 550 pro.

That card looks like it might be a clone of the Sapphire 550, but I dont know for sure.

The Zap 1100 seems to be a Conexant Falcon-II on a fancy PCB. No way to know how good the drivers are but on a hardware level it should be similar if not identical quality to the PVR-150.

Cheers for the info lads.

Presumably there is not much difference between the PVR 150 and the ATI 550 in term of hardware encoding? Perhaps ATI have better software drivers though.

The main difference is that the ati 550 processes it's sound onboard as opposed to having the audio software encoded, which means you totally avoid any possible sync problems that might arise with a desynced audio clock. However, The latest PVR150 drivers are meant to cure any sync problems anyway.

The Hauppauge cards also have hardware audio encoding. The same cant be said for the Plextor device, which require software audio encoders to be installed.