Thread: MVP Problems

MVP Problems

Hi all, hoping you can help me out a little.

After much anticipation and consideration i took the plunge and purchased the components to make use of an existing PC as a PVR using the MVP. The PC is reasonably spec'd

P4 3.0ghz with HT
    512 PC 3200
    40gig HD
    1gbit Onboard NIC
    PVR150

Belkin Wireless Modem Router
    2 x 85mbps Homeplugs (one for the router one for the MVP)

Whilst I appreaciate the RAM and HD are lacking (especially as the HD is from Athlon 750 days) I still anticipated it to run correctly and intended to upgrade these features after checking network performance.

The Hauppauge MVP software worked out of the box, although I didnt have any suitable recordings to test at the time, it worked successfully with WMA audio files.

I keenly installed GBPVR last night and my problems have escalated from there. Aside from the slow interface (which i didnt expect as i read a thread saying that processor speed would solve that) it frequently drops back to the contacting server menu. Live TV and recording playback both failed - both with huge stutters. Internet radio worked initially but often caused the MVP to drop back to the connecting to server screen.

I initially assumed these were network issues so looked up the Tipsters top tips this morning and applied them - no luck - if anything it is less stable and cannot managed internet radio at all now. Additionally Live TV jumps to a blank screen and the MVP stops responding.

I'm desperate to find the root of these problems and fix it. Having read so many good stories about the MVP and GBPVR I can only assume I have poor harware or poor configuration.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Aside from the slow interface (which i didnt expect as i read a thread saying that processor speed would solve that) it frequently drops back to the contacting server menu.

Live TV and recording playback both failed - both with huge stutters.
    Both of those points make me think you're not getting good throughput on your Homeplugs. Try pluging in a cable temporarily to see if it is better.

Thanks for getting back to me Sub.

I thought exactly the same, however I've been blaming my Belkin router coz it caused problems initially with my wireless connectino so now gets blamed for everything lol!

Just tried the standard Hauppauge software and it streamed the same video without any glitches however, so considering the severity of the difference I'm inclined to think its a GBPVR issue? (although I've no idea what it could be)

Steve

Ok, I've got no idea then.

Hey Danger ... I would be reluctant to say it's GBPVR, and do this not because I'm a total huge fan (which I am) but because I have little response issues. You suggest a "modest" hardware setup in your first post:
    Quote Originally Posted by DangerMouse
    P4 3.0ghz with HT
    512 PC 3200
    40gig HD
    1gbit Onboard NIC
    PVR150
    In comparison, here is mine -- and I'm not sure what mine is if yours is modest

Cel 1.2Ghz (PowerLeap Tuatalin Slot 1 Upgrade)
    256 PC100
    250gig HD
    10/100Mb Onboard NIC
    PVR150 & PVR150MCE

So, I have a Lada and you an Aston Martin (not one from the 80's though).

The Lada has run pretty much non-stop for over a year, records TV, plays it back and has a very high WAF. Big difference is the PC talks to the MVP over wires (Cat3 actually).

Although I know little of such things, I'm suggesting it's not the box or the software -- it's the network. I'm led to believe that the reason the MVP goes back to "contacting servers" is because the server is not responding in a set time (8 sec I think).

I'd do what Sub suggested and eliminate the network as the cause first -- use wires and prove it's not. After that, it would be a mystery.

I am having similar problems with MVP and GBPVR.

The interface comes up fine and I can navigate it but when I try to play back anything GBPVR crashes on the server and I get a black screen OR the "looking for server" screen on the MVP. This is with GBPVR .94.13 and I had the same problem with a couple previous versions of GBPVR I have tried. I have not tried the newest version yet. I am building a new GBPVR box and will try the new GBPVR then.

I am running this over a 100Mb connection and the server is slow (600Mhz Celeron) but it works perfectly with the default MVP software.

Thanks for the responses, just to let you all know I've know solved my problem.

I still have no idea what caused it, but I was using a version of GBPVR from a month or so back, uninstalled, upgraded and it now works perfectly.

Well from the masses of PVR threads that I've read I did think that the system spec would be more than adequate, was only concerned about HD speed tbh - it seems to be a bit of a bottle neck atm on system boot etc. But now its all working I can report that it even manages pausing LiveTV and playing back, all via the MVP with only minor glitches.

I'm very impressed with the results whilst I can think of loads of opportunities to increase the functionality(things that have not been done in other PVR apps btw) its an amazing piece of software considering its free the cost, I'd like to pass on my thanks.

Cheers

Steve