Thread: Overlay and timer glitch

When watching a video playback, i get a small pause every time the timer on the OSD updates.

Thanks,
    Paul

What do you mean by 'timer'? If the OSD is not showing, does it run without this glitch?

If you have a slow machine, generating the OSD and playing video (thru software decode) might be a bit much for the machine for short periods.

The play time on the OSD. It is a 1ghz VIA C3 with 384mb of RAM. It is glitch free with no OSD on the screen. I am using the VMR9 setting of the Hauppauge decoder. Is there a more efficient decoder? I have heard of people using the decoder that comes with PowerDVD. Are there other decoders available out there? Anyone got a list of good ones?

Thanks,
    Paul

The decoder that comes with PowerDVD *5* seems a reasonably good job, and will use the MPEG hardware decoder assist functionality in these Via EPIA M series boards. This will definitly lower the CPU usage and may give you a little more CPU head room for OSD processing.

That said, the .net graphics I use for drawing all the images do seem particularly CPU intensive so it may still be a problem on these slow CPUs.

Actually, it's not an Epia, it's just a C3 on an ASUS board. It's not a nemiah either, so it has pretty poor floating point. I am using a Radeon 7000 for TV output. I'll have to try the PowerDVD 5 decoder.

Thanks,
    Paul