Thread: What is the difference between DVB-S and DVB-T ?

What is the difference between DVB-S and DVB-T ?

Hi there, I apologise in advance for asking such a n00b question....

What is the difference between DVB-S and DVB-T. I read previously that DVB-S is satellite and DVB-T is terrestrial - but what does this mean?

I don't know whether to get the Hauppauge NOVA-T or NOVA-S as I do not understand the difference at the moment

I am based in the UK and I currently have a subscription to Sky Digital

I am looking for a TV card that will receive freeview or work best with my Sky box to enable me to capture shows to my PC

( I was also planning to buy a WinTV PVR 150 or 500MCE, along with one of the above NOVA cards )

DVB-t is digital terrestrial - i.e. via an aerial. The brand-name for the digital terrestrial service in the UK is Freeview. All Freeview channels are unencrypted and so can be received with a Nova-t.

DVB-s is digital satellite - i.e. via a digital satellite dish. Sky monopolise digital satellite in the UK, and you will not be able to receive ITV1, Channel 4 or Five with a DVB-s card (unless you use a special CAM, but these break T&C with Sky and they can terminate your subscription). So if you want to capture Sky you need a Sky box and a PVR-150 card (only get PVR-500 if you have two Sky boxes). For best quality from Sky you'll need an RGB to S-Video converter box (~£30) since most boxes, except the Sky+ boxes, only have Composite and RGB whereas the PVR cards have Composite and S-Video.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris.Day
    Sky monopolise digital satellite in the UK, and you will not be able to receive ITV1
    Just to correct you on this - ALL ITV1 regions are in fact free-to-air, and you WILL be able to receive them using a DVB-S card without a CAM.

funkybro
    Receiving UK DVB-T from Rowridge and DVB-S from Astra 28.2

PC: 3GHz AMD, 1GB RAM, XP Pro SP2.
    TV stuff: Nova-T 909, Nova-T 90002, TwinHan clone TechniSat Skystar, 2xMVP.
    Wireless link PC->router
    Wired link router->MVP1
    Wireless link router->Edimax EW-7206 54g Access Point->MVP2

Issues:
    - Rubbish reception, due to dodgy set-top aerial
    - MVP occasionally losing connection with PC

Thanks for the replies.
    Think I'll get a Nova-T and PVR-150.
    I'll let you know how I get on