Thread: Old Recordings Now Gone From GBPVR DB

Exclamation Old Recordings Now Gone From GBPVR DB

Just accessed GBPVR for the first time in 2006.....It appears all my entries in the DB that had a 2005 recrding date are now gone from the DB. The recordings are still there but the entries in the DB are gone.

I am assuming this is a bug.....has anyone else experienced this?

Its nothing new, but if GB-PVR could not find the recordings at the location they were listed in the database, it'll delete these recordings from database on the assumption that you've manually deleted the video files so there is no point having the records in the database.

This logic has been in the application since the very beginning, and generally works very well, but it has tripped a couple of people up over this time. I suspect somehow you have fallen fowl of this logic.

Maybe you've been moving files around on your hard drive, or possibly they were on a network or removeable drive that was unavailable while GB-PVR was running? I think also a specific defragging tool can make the filesystem inaccessible causing GB-PVR to not be able to find the videos.

Quote Originally Posted by sub
    Its nothing new, but if GB-PVR could not find the recordings at the location they were listed in the database, it'll delete these recordings from database on the assumption that you've manually deleted the video files so there is no point having the records in the database.

This logic has been in the application since the very beginning, and generally works very well, but it has tripped a couple of people up over this time. I suspect somehow you have fallen fowl of this logic.

Maybe you've been moving files around on your hard drive, or possibly they were on a network or removeable drive that was unavailable while GB-PVR was running? I think also a specific defragging tool can make the filesystem inaccessible causing GB-PVR to not be able to find the videos.
    Nope....recordings are....and always have been on a fixed drive on the server. They were there as of 10:00 P.M. on 12/31.......then they were gone when I checked them a little while ago. I was able to recover since I had a backup.

Not sure what would have caused GBPVR not to be able to find the recodings since they are on a fixed disk on the server.

As a bit of a newbie, I just ran into a similar issue. I had a couple of files recorded from the previous day and then had to re-install GBPVR (due to some other issues). This was enough to cause the database to lose info even though the actual recordings are still in the directory. Is there any kind of description about how the database operates or any way to re-sync it? I searched around on the forum and the wiki and this was the closest I came to a similar conversation.

I had a couple of files recorded from the previous day and then had to re-install GBPVR (due to some other issues). This was enough to cause the database to lose info even though the actual recordings are still in the directory.
    If you uninstall and reinstall then of course you will loose the contents of your database. This is effectively starting again from scratch.

If you have at least one recording in the database (make one if you have to), click the 'export recordings' button in the config app. It'll create and XML file that lists you're recording(s). Use this file a template to add XML for your other recordings, then click the 'import recordings' to get them listed in the database.