Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Direct TV?

Direct TV?

After spending countless hours trying to get my new htpc/gbpvr to work, i made it to the live tv portion, and i get nothing but static picture on every channel. I am extremely new to everything here. I tried everything i could find in the forums to date, but nothing has worked. I am afraid it may be because i have direct tv, being as there are a million channels on direct tv and the tuner card (hauppauge 350) is good for 125.

Even in the hauppauge programs i only get channel 3, yay. I have also noticed that in all the configs and settings for gbpvr and wintv2000 i get the choice of cable and antenna, no satallite. So i guess my question is "can gbpvr work with direct tv satallite?"

I have tried the tuning assistant, and that got nothing only told me there were 158 channels with static...

I am also concerned it could be all of setting, video playback/decoding and such. Like i said i am new to this...

Any help would be great, thanks in advance.

Yes

Hang in there... I am a complete newbie too and it works fine with my Directv. Someone will come along here and solve your problems... I will let the experts try first, and if you don't get much response, I will dive in with my novice thoughts based on my experience.

any help at all, novice or expert, all i want is a picture...hehehe

kdobson99 - i would appreciate any input

You Directtv box will only ever be outputting the one channel that the box is current set to. You can get that single channel by either the svideo connection or composite connection, or true the tuner set to channel three.

You can add a IR Blaster to your setup so that GB-PVR can automatically force the directtv box to change channels when it needs to (for recordings etc).

You cant just tune in all the directtv channels. Directtv just doesnt work that way.

hmmm

makes sence..

i have the hauppauge (45 button) remote, so how exactly do i set of the ir blaster to change the channel from the direct tv box

thank you very much for your help sub

Only the PVR150 comes with an IR Blaster. Its basically an LED on the end of a long wire. Your PVR350 will not include the IR blaster.

well

well, my pvr 350 did come with a led attached to the end of a wire which plugs into the hauppauge card...is that different?

and also now i have noticed that with or without the coaxile cable from the direct tv box connected to the tv port on the pvr350, i still get static. I know this is beyond newb, but now i wonder if i even have it hooked up right

well, my pvr 350 did come with a led attached to the end of a wire which plugs into the hauppauge card...is that different?
    Yes, thats just the receiver for the IR remote.

and also now i have noticed that with or without the coaxile cable from the direct tv box connected to the tv port on the pvr350, i still get static. I know this is beyond newb, but now i wonder if i even have it hooked up right
    Most people would connect from the direct tv box using the composite or svideo cables (and set their capture source to use this input), but you should also be to use the RF cable (coax).

If you do use the RF cable, you'll probably need set your capture source to use the 'fixed channel, external tuner' option, with the 'constant channel' set to 3. I cant remember whether it needs to be set to cable or antenna, so try both.

sweet

sub, thank you so much, it works now...

luckily i will be heading back up to school soon, and all we get is cable, so i won't have that direct tv problem.

thanks again

I'm having the same problem here. Sorry but I can't get it to work.
    I have the 350 card as well.
    I have Direct TV in NJ.
    I have the RG cable from the wall into sat/box.
    The output from the box into a splitter. One goes directly to the tv and the other to the RG input of the 350 card.
    I've tried to configure it with internal tuner, and fixed channel with both cable and antenna but for some reason it doesn't work.
    I have the correct EPG setup and with wintv32 under composite 2, I do see video from the sat/box. and when I change channels with the remote to the sat/box it changes channels in wintv32. So I know there is signal going into the computer but I can't get it to view in gbpvr.

help please...
    TIA