PDA

View Full Version : MPEG2 Playback position

Tiger11
2005-10-18, 06:06 PM
Hello all,

My adventures with my new hobby continues. I managed to get GBPVR work with my old WinTV card (temporary solution until I find a good deal on PVR-150, nowadays broke :D ). It works great on my machine with no problems. I guess because it is also a faster machine It is not really draining CPU as much as it used to on my older machine to record something via software encoder and watch something else.

Ok so the problem with MVP is that regardless of what value I put for X and Y offset in the config files, all MPEG2 files, whether recorded via GBPVR or downloaded, seem to have a 1 inch black bar to the right (i.e. shifted to the left). Has anyone experienced that? What could be the solution?

WMV and Divx do not seem to have this problem.

My MVP is the older one with the 35 button remote.

Thanks!

sub
2005-10-22, 07:18 PM
Ok so the problem with MVP is that regardless of what value I put for X and Y offset in the config files, all MPEG2 files, whether recorded via GBPVR or downloaded, seem to have a 1 inch black bar to the right (i.e. shifted to the left). Has anyone experienced that? The offset xy etc settings only control the position of the menus and OSD. GB-PVR has no control over the position of the video.

Jeff
2005-10-23, 07:16 PM
I have the opposite problem. My playback is full screen, but the farthest I can get GBPVR to move to the right leaves a one inch black bar on the right hand side. If I make the MVPOffsetX value less than 24, rather than moving farther to thr right the picture just gets cropped off and the 1 inch back bar stays there. I have taken to using a very dark background so that the black bar is not obvious when you look at GBPVR> As I say, when I play videos everything fills the screen so I know the MVP can do so.

Here are my settings, if it helps:

<MVPWidth>656</MVPWidth>
<MVPHeight>456</MVPHeight>
<MVPOffsetX>24</MVPOffsetX>
<MVPOffsetY>12</MVPOffsetY>

Jeff

sub
2005-10-23, 07:53 PM
If you set the following setting, you'll see the biggest picture GB-PVR can produce:

<MVPWidth>720</MVPWidth>
<MVPHeight>480</MVPHeight>
<MVPOffsetX>0</MVPOffsetX>
<MVPOffsetY>0</MVPOffsetY>

It'll not be possible for GB-PVR to go beyond these bounds.

Major Hostility
2005-10-23, 07:59 PM
My configuration worked the best when I left the generic settings alone, and then input the custom MVP settings into a MAC block specifically for that unit:

<MVPWidth>720</MVPWidth>
<MVPHeight>480</MVPHeight>
<MVPOffsetX>0</MVPOffsetX>
<MVPOffsetY>0</MVPOffsetY>
<MAC-000DFE003591>
<MVPWidth>636</MVPWidth>
<MVPHeight>424</MVPHeight>
<MVPOffsetX>28</MVPOffsetX>
<MVPOffsetY>24</MVPOffsetY>
</MAC-000DFE003591>I had some odd problems when I only tried changing the generic values. Have you tried the MVPScreenPosition plugin?

Tiger11
2005-10-25, 12:38 AM
Thanks Sub. You are right, changing settings changed only GBPVR, not the actual MPEG files position on the screen.

Even with the native MediaMVP interface, still the MPEGs are shifted to the left. It is kinda annoying to be honest. Is my MediaMVP defective? Mine is revision D3a... is this a faulty one? Anyonw knows how to update the firmware of it?

Thanks

Lucas_24
2005-10-25, 12:52 AM
In previous firmware versions, my MVP video would stretch, almost like the MVP was trying to output standard viseo as widescreen. The only way to fix it was to unplug the MVP and have ot reload the firmware. Havn'r noticed this in a while though. I just use the firmware that's shipped with GBPVR. To reload the firmware simply unplug the MVp and plug it in again. It reloads the firmware froim the server on poer up.

Tiger11
2005-10-25, 02:57 PM
Thanks Lucas. I unplugged the MVP many times and plugged it in again, still the same. Could it be because I am using a direct connection via crossover cable rather than a switch?

This is really an annoying problem, my GBPVR is perfect, even the menus look awsome and are in place, but why am I seeing a 1 inch black bar to the right of the screen?

And the funny part, it doesn't appear when playing Divx videos!! Divx plays decent

Lucas_24
2005-10-25, 04:48 PM
cross over VS. Switch would not affect this. Maybe the playback is not the problem but the capture is. Do the MPEG's look OK when playing them on the PC? Also you say you're using the WinTV card, not the hardware encoded type card. Maybe you should investigate the MPEG fiels themselves to make sure they are OK. Or try viewing an MPEG that was not captured from your tuner to see if that displays correctly on the MVP.

Tiger11
2005-10-25, 06:05 PM
cross over VS. Switch would not affect this. Maybe the playback is not the problem but the capture is. Do the MPEG's look OK when playing them on the PC? Also you say you're using the WinTV card, not the hardware encoded type card. Maybe you should investigate the MPEG fiels themselves to make sure they are OK. Or try viewing an MPEG that was not captured from your tuner to see if that displays correctly on the MVP.
Thanks Lucas. Yes, the files play excellent on the PC. I noticed this problem even with existing MPEG2 files that I have (music videos.. etc..), they still play fine on the PC, shifted on the MVP.

Tiger11
2005-11-02, 07:47 PM
Here is an update: I downloaded an MPEG2 video and tried to play it on MediaMVP. To my surprise, it worked! It was placed correctly on the screen, not stretched, not misplaced.

This leads me to think that MediaMVP is a bit more sensitive to MPEG2 encoding details than a normal PC. I will try to mess around the downloaded video and see what is so special in it that makes it the ONLY video that works correctly on MVP.

Perhaps that explains why I don't have this problem with DIVX and WMV files; they are being encoded on the fly to MPEG2, the correct MPEG2 that is.

LilY0da
2005-11-02, 08:05 PM
not sure if it helps, but videos in non standard formats are letterboxed
formats not letterboxed for NTSC are:
640*480
480*480 (haven't tried it myself, but heard it works)
352*480 (works well in MPEG2, not very well in AVI)
352*240
I'm not sure if 720*480 is LB'ed in MPEG2 playback (I've never recorded anything with settings that high), it definitely is when it's a AVI that's being transcoded on the fly

Tiger11
2005-11-02, 08:30 PM
not sure if it helps, but videos in non standard formats are letterboxed
formats not letterboxed for NTSC are:
640*480
480*480 (haven't tried it myself, but heard it works)
352*480 (works well in MPEG2, not very well in AVI)
352*240
I'm not sure if 720*480 is LB'ed in MPEG2 playback (I've never recorded anything with settings that high), it definitely is when it's a AVI that's being transcoded on the fly
Actually, this is very helpful. I will look at the various video sizes and how they play on MVP.

Thanks!