PDA

View Full Version : Record Season

Dai
2004-03-01, 11:15 AM
Could anyone tell me what the Record Season option does in the TV guide. I imagine it is there so that you can record all the episodes of a program but I mean how does it actually work.

Does it just record the same time on the same day every week or does it reocrd everything with the same title in the schedule or something else?

Be grateful for any info

Thanks, Dai

sub
2004-03-01, 02:44 PM
At the moment it means it will record all shows with the same title on the same channel.

colin
2004-03-01, 03:19 PM
Sub,

this is an excellent feature. And it even schedules the next set of recordings automatically after updaing the EPG.

Its also good in that you can cancel some of the recordings scheduled without having to cancel the whole season,

nice:)

Colin.

Dai
2004-03-01, 04:04 PM
Thanks, that sounds useful.

Dai

colin
2004-03-03, 12:10 AM
Sub,

I scheduled a "season record", updated to a new EPG and the next set of programs got scheduled automatically. Though they are not highlighted in the TV Guide. Not a big issue but would be nice to have them highlighted:)

Cheers,
Colin.

2004-03-03, 03:05 AM
Could you please add support to this feature that will check with previously recorded shows so it does not schedule the reruns to record.

Thanks,
Rock

RockTheThird
2004-03-03, 03:06 AM
sorry forgot to login in http://gbpvr.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

sub
2004-03-03, 03:33 AM
Unfortunately, I dont have any reliable way to see if a show is a rerun yet. Unfortunately in most places in the world XMLTV only gives you the name of the show and quite often a generic show description that is always the same. To tell if it was a rerun I'd need to have an episode number or unique show description or similar that I could rely on. Anyone got any really good ideas?

Dai
2004-03-03, 09:11 AM
In the UK data I'm getting from bleb, individual episodes of programs do have unique descriptions, there is also a sub-title field which is unique.. It would be nice to use this if it is available but, as you say, it won't work for everyone.

I think that the simplest thing to do otherwise is to have a configurable time period for each seasonal recording. The show must fall in this time period for it to be recorded. The time period could be automatically calculated from the times of the first show.

I.e., If Friends is running at 10:00 -10:30 but is repeated at 01:00-01:30 the next day. You select a 10:00 to 10:30 episode and chose to record season. It creates a time period for this show of 09:30-11:00 (just in case they start it early or late one week). The amount of variance allowed could be set up in the configuration tool. From then on, it will only record the late evening shows (which fall in this time slot) and not the early morning ones.

The idea of the above is to avoid having to set up anything complex using the remote control.

I think this would work well for the way they do things in the UK, I don't know about elsewhere.

Well, theres my thought for you!

Dai

Dai
2004-03-03, 09:17 AM
Must say, the record season option is very useful even how it is, I found I was recording the same things each week anyway and this means that I don't have to remember to find each episode, as long as I keep the EPG data up to date, it automatically schedules them all. Good feature http://gbpvr.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

colin
2004-03-03, 11:55 AM
To offer the greatest flexibility would be to extend Dia's idea and use a rule based system so that each user could define how to detect a season. It would require a bit of work to do the UI for this and depending on how the backend storage works this could be a bit of work for parsing.

But seeing as most EPG guides are only for two weeks, its not a big hassle to record a season and go through the scheduled recordings and delete some of the entries.

Sub, in the Recordings area where it shows "Available" and "Scheduled" can these be ordered on the date of recording. It looks like currently they are ordered on when they are selected,

Cheers,
Colin.

RockTheThird
2004-03-07, 04:47 AM
What I ask cant be that difficult to add. I was thinking of something that would check the show discription and compare it to any already recorded. Yes some shows dont have a discriptions but when this occurs just have them scheduled anyway. No current functionallity lost just a helpfull feature added!!!

You are right that a few weeks of shows is not hard to go through but when I have like 20 shows to go through every couple of days and only 8 are originals that can get annoying after a while.

http://gbpvr.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif Side note: cant anyone else with the pvr250 get the thumbnails to work???

sub, this feature would be sooooo helpful even if some others dont care about it.

sub
2004-03-07, 04:58 AM
RockTheThird, I'd definitly like to do it but it wouldn't work here and probably not many other places either. Most of our shows do have a description, but they're the same generic description each time. It impossible to spot those that are repeats and those that just have a generic description. I'll come up with something, but its behind a few other things on the priority list.

I dont get what you mean about the PVR250 and thumbnails?

2004-03-08, 07:18 AM
i think the solution to configure (manual or automatic) a season send standard time (eg: 10.00 to 10:30) is an easy way to get rid of the replays (eg 7:30-8:00 next day)

sub
2004-03-09, 06:01 AM
Yes, I think it'll have to be done based on the approximate time of day, channel, and program name.

RockTheThird
2004-03-14, 05:00 PM
the thumbnails of recorded video from my 250 does not have a picture of the first frame in it only the generic windows media player icon in the middle.

sub
2004-03-14, 05:40 PM
Sorry, cant help you on that one. Its not something I've ever looked at. Someone from http://www.shspvr.com/forum may be able to help.

mission
2004-04-05, 01:19 PM
Hya all,

I have used snapstream beyond tv in the past, only i can't get it to record in stereo http://gbpvr.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif .

So i checked for an alternative, gb-pvr sounds like an real good alternative, only 1 thing, is it possible to auto update the epg info ?

With snapstream i pulled with xmltv every nigth the new epg data, snapstream automaticaly updated the epg info. So an season recording will record indeed an complete season without any interaction from me.

If it doesnt do it now is there anyway to automate it ??.

I am away from home sometimes for more then 2 weeks, and i loved it when i got home that it recorded all my favorite shows on my media server.

Thnx in advance,

Dai
2004-04-05, 01:35 PM
I believe that GBPVR automatically updates its EPG data from the local XMLTV file every night (early in the morning). You just need to make sure that the file is updated periodically using some scheduled job to grab the data from wherever you normally get it.

bitter_old_man
2004-04-05, 02:17 PM
To have GB-PVR update the guide every time you start it, use the command line switch -UpdateEPG

Barry