PDA

View Full Version : New - Need Help Please

BebopperAZ
2005-09-09, 03:46 PM
:confused:

My objective is to be able to use PVR functionality with a TV, and I'm trying to fully understand what components I need and how to connect the PC and TV.

I have an IBM Netvista 1 Ghz PC with 512 MB and a 30 GB hard drive. I'm planning to use GB-PVR. I'm going to have this PC connected to my home network (802.11b) for internet access. I'm assuming I need this in order to obtain programming guides and download music, but I need to have this confirmed.

I'd like to use my free-to-air satellite as a source, and a WinTV PVR 350 card. I'm favoring this card because of its TV out feature. Are there any compatability issues with this plan? Are there other cards with this feature that I should consider?

I'm thinking I need to install the TV card, connect the source, install GB-PVR, connect the card to the TV and learn how to operate the GB-PVR system. Am I looking at this process too simply?

I've only been researching this for the past week, and I can't find any diagrams that show how this all links together. I want to know more before purchasing the TV card. I'd also like to know other options I should consider in order to obtain the desired functionality. I'm sure I will eventually want to burn DVDs and play mp3s.

Also, are the remotes that come with the different cards compatible with GB-PVR or do I need something else. I don't want to use a keyboard and mouse.

Bottom line is: I need a tutorial for do-it-yourself PVR. I'm sure this basic information is on the site, but I haven't quite figured out how to find it. If someone could direct me, I'd be most appreciative. Thanks.

Darx-starz
2005-09-09, 05:38 PM
:confused:

My objective is to be able to use PVR functionality with a TV, and I'm trying to fully understand what components I need and how to connect the PC and TV.

Yup thats whats it for.

:
I have an IBM Netvista 1 Ghz PC with 512 MB and a 30 GB hard drive. I'm planning to use GB-PVR. I'm going to have this PC connected to my home network (802.11b) for internet access. I'm assuming I need this in order to obtain programming guides and download music, but I need to have this confirmed..

Drive is a bit small but it will do for a start.

:
I'd like to use my free-to-air satellite as a source, and a WinTV PVR 350 card. I'm favoring this card because of its TV out feature. Are there any compatability issues with this plan? Are there other cards with this feature that I should consider?

Nova-S will do this. I would not get a PVR350 as it has a few issues. The Xcard is the same but in there day they were mustard. You could use a graphics card that has a TV Out and connect your TV direct to it. This is about the only way that you can play DVD's with ease.

:
I'm thinking I need to install the TV card, connect the source, install GB-PVR, connect the card to the TV and learn how to operate the GB-PVR system. Am I looking at this process too simply? .

No that sounds about right. You will need an XMLTV grabber. If you are in the UK this will be bleb or xmltv radio times. The latter is better. If in the US I guess its Zap2it. Everywhere else just plain old xmltv.

:
I've only been researching this for the past week, and I can't find any diagrams that show how this all links together. I want to know more before purchasing the TV card. I'd also like to know other options I should consider in order to obtain the desired functionality. I'm sure I will eventually want to burn DVDs and play mp3s. .

You can do all this and more.

:
Also, are the remotes that come with the different cards compatible with GB-PVR or do I need something else. I don't want to use a keyboard and mouse.

Use the remote that comes with the TV card. If you use a Hauppauge product then its nativly supported.

:
Bottom line is: I need a tutorial for do-it-yourself PVR. I'm sure this basic information is on the site, but I haven't quite figured out how to find it. If someone could direct me, I'd be most appreciative. Thanks

Not sure if you need this as your questions have answered them selves.

BigT
2005-09-09, 07:25 PM
I have GBPVR running on an AMD 1.13 ghz with 512 megs of ram, a 40 gig hard drive for the OS and programs and a 200 gig hard drive for recording. I also have a Hauppauge PVR150 card with cable tv and my FTA satellite box going into it. I have an old ATI video card with 32 megs of ram going to my TV. I also went with a cat5 cable to my router. In the couple of months I have been running GBPVR I have been very impressed with it. GBPVR does everything I want to and then some more. I even cancelled my ReplayTV. Thanks to everyone that is involved in making and keeping GBPVR the best.

Tom

BebopperAZ
2005-09-10, 04:54 AM
Darx-Straz & BigT....

Thanks for responding. I'm felling more confident now and will do a little more research on the options you shared with me. I sincerely appreciate your time and assistance.

BebopperAZ

dgeezer
2005-09-10, 11:48 AM
Here is a very informative site- http://forum.byopvr.com/dvr/index.php

I based my setup on this article- http://www.byopvr.com/Sections+index-req-viewarticle-artid-10-page-1.html

I have had my system running for about 8 months now and it works just about flawlessly. It would work flawlessly if I would quit messing around with the plugins etc. I had little knowledge of computers before I started this project. With help from this site and byopvr it really is much simpler to setup and run GBpvr than you would think.

My wife actually commented that the new auto commercial skipping is very cool!

BebopperAZ
2005-09-10, 03:55 PM
dgeezer.... Thanks for this info. It's most helpful. What a great companion site. I can't wait to put my system together. I'm going to go with the PVR 150 iand a video card with TV out instead of the PVR 350. It seems the PVR 150 is a more stable and reliable device that serves everyone well. Thanks again for your help.