PDA

View Full Version : Weather

jsteele
2005-06-22, 03:34 PM
For the past week or so I've been having a problem with the Weather plugin. It APPEARS that after GBPVR has been running for a day or so if I check the weather I get an error message 'Sorry - unable to retrieve information' (or words to that effect.) I can try the weather selection several times all with the same result. If I exit and restart GBPVR the weather shows up fine.

Anyone seen this before?

Jeff
2005-06-22, 05:17 PM
Try pressing the red button on the remote (control R). This will reload the weather.

capone
2005-06-22, 07:30 PM
I just put the TV near a window, so I have a backup for seeing the current conditions. I even added a mod, and opened the window so I could get the temp.

Sry...was dying for a distraction. ;)

jsteele
2005-06-22, 07:44 PM
I just put the TV near a window, so I have a backup for seeing the current conditions. I even added a mod, and opened the window so I could get the temp.

Sry...was dying for a distraction. ;)

It is always good to have a backup system :-)

reboot
2005-06-22, 09:41 PM
MSNBC weather is so far behind, if I forget what it was like yesterday, I can always check. For current weather, I look outside :)

mvandere
2005-06-22, 10:21 PM
MSNBC weather is so far behind, if I forget what it was like yesterday, I can always check. For current weather, I look outside :)

Which is why I asked if the weather plugin could be changed to use weather.com

I haven't heard whether weather is being worked on, or whether changing weather was decided not to be a good idea.

Any comments?

jsteele
2005-06-23, 12:22 AM
mvandere
I'll second that, weather.com or accuweather.com.

tieke
2005-06-23, 01:33 AM
Just had a look at those two - AccuWeather seems slightly the better of the two for non-US forecasts (well, New Zealand and Fiji were the two I checked - can you guess which one was higher? :) ) but I am not too sure how easy it is to change the plugin. I think Jeff was working on the plugin, but I don't know whether he wants to make any wholescale changes!

Jeff
2005-06-23, 01:45 AM
Changing the weather source is a big change since it effects all the parsing of the forecast data and the associate with icons and would also require changes to the new features I added to all you to add and remove locations at run time. For where I live the weather report is fairly accurate so going to all this effort is not a personal high priority item. I am more interested in working on changes that add new functionality. That said, if someone wants to rewrite the code I have been posting all the source code updates to the wiki site so what is up there is the "latest and greatest". The only change I am thinking about right now is changing SI pressure display from kPa to HPa, which is a simple divide by 10.

Jeff

mvandere
2005-06-23, 02:17 AM
Changing the weather source is a big change since it effects all the parsing of the forecast data and the associate with icons and would also require changes to the new features I added to all you to add and remove locations at run time. ..... That said, if someone wants to rewrite the code I have been posting all the source code updates to the wiki site so what is up there is the "latest and greatest".
Jeff
I was kind of hoping that Weather.com would use the same format as MSNBC, since 'MSNBC gets its data from weather.com', hence the changes wouldn't be too much.

Unfortunately I'm not into .net programming at the moment, and given the progress (principally the lack thereof) of my last couple of programmig projects, simply due to the 24hours in a day restriction, I don't know that I'll get much time to look at this.

Mark

capone
2005-06-23, 04:20 AM
http://www.intellicast.com is also good.

Old Dog
2005-07-09, 08:50 PM
Changing the weather source is a big change since it effects all the parsing of the forecast data and the associate with icons and would also require changes to the new features I added to all you to add and remove locations at run time. For where I live the weather report is fairly accurate so going to all this effort is not a personal high priority item. I am more interested in working on changes that add new functionality. That said, if someone wants to rewrite the code I have been posting all the source code updates to the wiki site so what is up there is the "latest and greatest". The only change I am thinking about right now is changing SI pressure display from kPa to HPa, which is a simple divide by 10.

Jeff

FYI:

This looks like it may be MSNBC's source. The layout looks programmer friendly.

http://mobile.wunderground.com/

More information can be found at: http://www.wunderground.com/about/background.asp

Regards,
David

cbett1
2005-07-14, 04:36 PM
How about other issues like -
1) I'm not able to see "next city"
2) Forecast shows the HI:xx is shifted to the left - like maybe it needs a space between the ":" and the temp "xx"