Hi,

I am currently setting up a gb-pvr setup. My configuration so far is;

Hardware

P III
256 Meg memory
Haupaugge 150
40 GB disk
Haupaugge MVP

The box I am using at the moment is a temporary box, as its both slow and has insufficent disk space. However it is sufficent ( I think) to prove out the configuration I am looking to setup.

Basically I have two questions.

1. Getting wireless TV signal to TV card.
2. Getting MVP talking to the GV-PVR box.

Question 1. Getting wireless TV signal to TV card.

I don't want to run coax around the house if possible. So I figured I could get a digisender and move the signal that way. As the digisender receiver as only a SCART output, I figured I needed a RF Modulator to convert the signal between SCART and coax. I have this done and it works.

However my problem is when I scan for signals ( using winTV - walking before I run !! ) I only see one channel.
I think the reason for this is as follows; I am taking the analog signal into a VCR, and then taking the SCART output from that and piping it to the digisender transmitter. I have verified that only the current channel being displayed on the VCR is transmitted by simply changing channel on the VCR and and signal on the PC changed too.
So I think I need to pipe the coax signal before it goes through the VCR. Now the reason I took it at this point is the digisender has a scart input.

Do I need another RF converter at the transmitter side ? Has anyone setup something similar..

2. Getting MVP talking to the GV-PVR box.

I am sorting out the tv signal at the moment, but have being thinking about this and would like some feedback.

Basically my network configuration is as follows;

broadband <-> wireless hub/firewall <-> internal network

Now the wireless hub/firewall ( A netgear WGT624 ) nats all traffic, and acts as a DHCP server.

My query is how the MVP will interact with this. I understand that it is a dhcp client, and will look for both dhcp, but am unsure of what happens with GB-PVR regarding providing DHCP.

Does GB-PVR act as a dhcp server for the MVP client ?

It may receive a dhcp lease from the firewall. If so, what happens at that point ?

Tks. ( excuse the longwinded ramblings ).

onestar
2005-06-11, 11:07 PM
Hi,

Question 1. Getting wireless TV signal to TV card.

I don't want to run coax around the house if possible. So I figured I could get a digisender and move the signal that way. As the digisender receiver as only a SCART output, I figured I needed a RF Modulator to convert the signal between SCART and coax. I have this done and it works.

However my problem is when I scan for signals ( using winTV - walking before I run !! ) I only see one channel.
I think the reason for this is as follows; I am taking the analog signal into a VCR, and then taking the SCART output from that and piping it to the digisender transmitter. I have verified that only the current channel being displayed on the VCR is transmitted by simply changing channel on the VCR and and signal on the PC changed too.
So I think I need to pipe the coax signal before it goes through the VCR. Now the reason I took it at this point is the digisender has a scart input.

Do I need another RF converter at the transmitter side ? Has anyone setup something similar..

The digisender (any) will not transmit the entire coax RF signal across. Any RF convertor (Tuner) will tune to a channel, and that could be transmitted. What you want is an antenna at the tv card end (like the one on your roof) I'm afraid. If you live in an area of strong signal strength, you might be able to use a indoor portable one?

Now the wireless hub/firewall ( A netgear WGT624 ) nats all traffic, and acts as a DHCP server.

My query is how the MVP will interact with this. I understand that it is a dhcp client, and will look for both dhcp, but am unsure of what happens with GB-PVR regarding providing DHCP.

Does GB-PVR act as a dhcp server for the MVP client ?

It may receive a dhcp lease from the firewall. If so, what happens at that point ?

Tks. ( excuse the longwinded ramblings ).

GBPVR only acts as a server for the MVP not as a DHCP server. The firewall will give the MVP an address. Assuming your server has also got an address on the same subnet, then the MVP will look for a server (GBPVR) and connect to that, download the OS, and connect to GBPVR as a client. You have to make sure the either you did not install the hauppauge MVP server, or switch it off if you did.

cadence
2005-06-12, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the responce.

You have cleared up the digisender issue. Because I am getting the signal from cable, it looks like I will have to split the signal and run a cable to the TV card.

As for the MVP. I have not looked at that yet. But from what you are saying I should be able to simply connect to my network and away I go !! I'll check it out shortly.

Tks,

cadence

onestar
2005-06-12, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the responce.

You have cleared up the digisender issue. Because I am getting the signal from cable, it looks like I will have to split the signal and run a cable to the TV card.

As for the MVP. I have not looked at that yet. But from what you are saying I should be able to simply connect to my network and away I go !! I'll check it out shortly.

Tks,

cadence

Yep just remember to "switch on" the MVP servers in the playback tab of the config app

cadence
2005-06-12, 10:23 PM
pliugged in the mvp and it worked fine first time. I can see and browse the pvr app. I downloaded the weather app and this works fine. I tried the net radio, and this works, if asomewhat choppy, but that is to be expected.
I got some avi files and plaed them directly on the PVR server. They played fine. When playing them through the mvp however, the screen stapy blank, and when I checked the server, the MVP server daemon gave an error, which looking at event viewer turns out to be a Dr. Watson error. SO, while it looks ok, the main function, ie streaming video - causes a dump !!

sub
2005-06-12, 11:11 PM
The MVP does a pretty shit job with AVI files, but you should fair much better with MPEG2 video files, like those recorded by GB-PVR.