PDA

View Full Version : Plex Channel for NextPVR

psycik
2013-09-03, 09:53 AM
Allows basic recordings access to nextpvr.

Has two views, a what's new and a recordings view.

One this I have found is that if a recording is in progress It will play. But it never gets an updated time so it will stop.

On the pc version I did manage to get live TV working. So I'm not sure if I can add that later.

I've designed it so it will use the transcoding capabilities of plex. So I've been able to get our 1080i H.264 video working on an iPhone, Roku, Plex/Web and Plex Home Theatre. I did have PLexConnect working, but it seems to have stopped.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/03/umagadum.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/03/evavequ9.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/03/e6u4ery3.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/09/03/tejeve2e.jpg

EDIT: 21-April-2014- includes live tv, and should get metadata from nextpvr.

psycik
2013-09-03, 09:58 AM
Link here on Github: https://github.com/psyciknz/NextPVR-Plex
Installed on your Plex Server

stustunz
2013-09-04, 08:13 AM
I tried it I like the way it shows recordings
But
What's new causes error doesn't show any recordings
Recordings shows the recordings and I can browse them but they cause a error when I try to play

All recordings play fine from normal folder shares in plex

psycik
2013-09-04, 09:10 AM
I tried it I like the way it shows recordings
But
What's new causes error doesn't show any recordings
Recordings shows the recordings and I can browse them but they cause a error when I try to play

All recordings play fine from normal folder shares in plex

Ahh yeah...I think I saw that today, the recordings/what's new was using the url with the server that you save in your settings, but the recordings were still hard coded.

Just pushed an update to git hub

stustunz
2013-09-04, 11:22 AM
sorry but new version doesn't even load
doesn't show in plex

if I revert to old version it shows

psycik
2013-09-04, 11:29 AM
There's a log in the plex directory \logs\PMS Plugin logs\
called
com.dcSoftware.plexapp.nextpvr.log

PLugins look like:
Plug-ins\NextPVR.bundle\Contents with a code/resources and a string direcotory under that.

Post the com.dcSoftware.plexapp.nextpvr.log if you can find it.

psycik
2013-09-04, 11:37 AM
Oh and I just found another small bug where url didn't get posted properly.

I reloaded mine from git hub and saw it.

Basically the zip comes down and you want to take the NextPVR.bundle and copy that to the Pluguns directory.

stustunz
2013-09-04, 11:44 AM
yeah I was doing it right your file is screwed

psycik
2013-09-04, 11:48 AM
Still? I pushed a new init.py file to GitHub just before that last reply.

See if you can find that log for me.

stustunz
2013-09-04, 11:49 AM
ok loaded the next version
whats new still doesn't load
and files still don't play

looking for logs

stustunz
2013-09-04, 11:56 AM
logs

psycik
2013-09-04, 10:14 PM
it could be this

2013-09-04 22:49:07,197 (2468) : CRITICAL (core:561) - Exception (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\stuart\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Plug-ins\Framework.bundle\Contents\Resources\Versions\2 \Python\Framework\components\runtime.py", line 840, in handle_request
result = f(**d)
File "C:\Users\stuart\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Plug-ins\NextPVR.bundle\Contents\Code\__init__.py", line 126, in WhatsNewRecordingsMenu
descr = recording.find('desc').text.strip()
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'strip'

when the Whats new screen is being generated. Looks like a description is missing, so I'll figure out how to test for nothing and skip it.

Edit: removed test not needed....

There's a new version pushed to git hub....I've tested with mine, but I can't test something with an empty description, so hopefully yours will do that. And by new version I mean the NextPVR.bundle\Contents\Code\_init.py has changed. You can just download that one file to save yourself the hassle of unzipping.

stustunz
2013-09-04, 11:34 PM
Why do my mpeg (dvb-s NZ) recordings show as h264
Is this why they don't play

I have not tried new version at time of writing this

psycik
2013-09-04, 11:51 PM
Why do my mpeg (dvb-s NZ) recordings show as h264
Is this why they don't play

I have not tried new version at time of writing this

Because when I first wrote it, it was one of the things I had to explicity set to get it to transcode properly. I believe I can now turn this off - as I have with the audio.

I'll do this change now (i just wont be able to test it too much on my different clients). What client are you using, one of the samsung devices?

psycik
2013-09-05, 12:06 AM
Ok, is up there. I tested a program off Four and TV2. And they transcoded for the iphone

stustunz
2013-09-05, 12:13 AM
I tried on server last night
Tried iPhone the other night
Tried Samsung the other night

Figured I wouldn't bother on clients anymore untill server played the files

Won't be able to try till late tonight

psycik
2013-09-05, 12:50 AM
I tried on server last night
Tried iPhone the other night
Tried Samsung the other night

Figured I wouldn't bother on clients anymore untill server played the files

Won't be able to try till late tonight

No problems. Any help is good. I'm not expecting a lot of use, it solves a problem for me, so if someone else wants to use it then fair game.

stustunz
2013-09-05, 12:53 AM
I don't know if you have following the thread about the Samsung 6500 but it will be interesting if the transcoding in your plex channel would help with the skipping problem it has

psycik
2013-09-05, 12:58 AM
I don't know if you have following the thread about the Samsung 6500 but it will be interesting if the transcoding in your plex channel would help with the skipping problem it has

Yeah maybe, depends if plex decides if that device needs it transcoded or not. if it's too capable (like a PC is) then plex will say here you go, and not transcode it.

stustunz
2013-09-05, 08:02 AM
Whats new still not working
but recordings is working great and I can play files :)

so far tested on iphone and server pc
testing on Samsung Bluray soon

psycik
2013-09-05, 08:59 AM
Progress at least.

Can you fire me that log again, or at least just dump out any error you see when doing a what's new.

I just did a what's new on my iphone and it worked (was a completed recording, not in progress).

stustunz
2013-09-05, 09:14 AM
I don't even get listings in whats new

works on Samsung bluray players ,transcodes so that means skipping isn't instant and you cant use fast play (x2 x4 etc) but at least the 6500 model can be used
plex sucks at naming so it will be better on ipad for the little fella to watch bob the builder also

psycik
2013-09-05, 09:17 AM
Ok. So it could still have issues with a blank field somewhere and which how I'm dealing with it.

So that log will be useful again. I might have to fudge my db to force these conditions

stustunz
2013-09-05, 09:19 AM
do you want my db file also

psycik
2013-09-05, 09:31 AM
do you want my db file also

Yeah why not, I can run that on a spare nextpvr system I have.

stustunz
2013-09-05, 09:36 AM
logs 5/9/2013

stustunz
2013-09-05, 09:40 AM
Data Base

psycik
2013-09-05, 10:38 AM
weird, your db looked mostly empty.

I've changed how recordings are added (consolidated the code), and found that teh way I was handling errors was wrong (damn this not properly knowing python).

Posted back up to github

stustunz
2013-09-05, 08:52 PM
That is strange all my recordings have descriptions(about 150 I think atm)
What's new still saying server returned error

psycik
2013-09-05, 08:59 PM
That is strange all my recordings have descriptions(about 150 I think atm)
What's new still saying server returned error

Same error in the nextpvr channel log?

stustunz
2013-09-05, 09:08 PM
Same error in the nextpvr channel log?

2013-09-05 23:11:51,500 (1dbc) : CRITICAL (core:561) - Exception (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\stuart\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Plug-ins\Framework.bundle\Contents\Resources\Versions\2 \Python\Framework\components\runtime.py", line 840, in handle_request
result = f(**d)
File "C:\Users\stuart\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Plug-ins\NextPVR.bundle\Contents\Code\__init__.py", line 111, in WhatsNewRecordingsMenu
oc.add(ConvertRecordingToEpisode(recording,dateasn ame=False))
File "C:\Users\stuart\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Plug-ins\NextPVR.bundle\Contents\Code\__init__.py", line 244, in ConvertRecordingToEpisode
Warning('ConvertRecordingToEpisode: Recording: "%s", Descr error, Unexpected error: %s' % showname)
TypeError: not enough arguments for format string

psycik
2013-09-05, 09:49 PM
2013-09-05 23:11:51,500 (1dbc) : CRITICAL (core:561) - Exception (most recent call last):
result = f(**d)
File "C:\Users\stuart\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Plug-ins\NextPVR.bundle\Contents\Code\__init__.py", line 111, in WhatsNewRecordingsMenu
oc.add(ConvertRecordingToEpisode(recording,dateasn ame=False))
File "C:\Users\stuart\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Plug-ins\NextPVR.bundle\Contents\Code\__init__.py", line 244, in ConvertRecordingToEpisode
Warning('ConvertRecordingToEpisode: Recording: "%s", Descr error, Unexpected error: %s' % showname)
TypeError: not enough arguments for format string

Ok. Found that. Stupid error. Wish this thing did compilation checks rather than interpreting only as it needed. So I fudged around in my db and set the duration as 0 and cleared out a description to force the errors.

And it seems to display what I expect now.

Also the What's New Days in the config wasn't implemented properly, and now should be.

Back on github - only the init.py has changed.

Can you open the init.py and look for this string "Warning('ConvertRecordingToEpisode: Recording: "%s", Descr error," and then remove

mvallevand
2013-09-06, 12:17 AM
Until you add live tv is there advantage to this over just running PMS on the NextPVR backend and scanning folders? It seems to simply add an extra http relay

Martin

psycik
2013-09-06, 12:23 AM
Until you add live tv is there advantage to this over just running PMS on the NextPVR backend and scanning folders? It seems to simply add an extra http relay

Martin

I didn't find the adding off the recordings to PMS to be all that good. First adding the metadata (and the actual TS files) was fairly unreliable - it for a bunch of shows it was ok, and would stack them properly. BUt others would create a new show (as opposed an episode) each time.

And the media scanner would crash fairly often on our recordings, meaning until you cleared the app crash, it wouldn't scan.

SO yeah there's some advantage in adding it via recordings for offline access, but I'm actually finding this channel more effectively.

I guess if the metadata was more reliable (I was taking it from the XML - since we can't use the S0xE02 type descriptors to get from the TVBD), and the app crash was fixed (I'd been trying to months to get Plex to fix that, was some ffmepg error in creating the thumbnails) then I'd revisit it.

stustunz
2013-09-06, 12:49 AM
With NZ tv descriptions plex gives the files stupid names
This app makes it really easy to find your recordings without all the bull shit plex has
Ie no stupid eye candy when all you really want is a simple list
You get the description from next pvr

I think it's great , (well once we get whats new working )

mvallevand
2013-09-06, 12:58 AM
Fair enough. Thinking about it the only bad time I had with matching show metadata was this summer with the NZ show "Top of the Lake" since there was no subtitle. Fortunately the EPG original air date was the American date not Canadian or I couldn't never have matched.

Martin

psycik
2013-09-06, 01:09 AM
With NZ tv descriptions plex gives the files stupid names
This app makes it really easy to find your recordings without all the bull shit plex has
Ie no stupid eye candy when all you really want is a simple list
You get the description from next pvr

I think it's great , (well once we get whats new working )

You being DVB-S based, you could probably use teh scanner/agent combo I made for plex and run your recordings into plex that way.

And given I knew a bit more about python, I might revisit them. I only had issues with the DVB-T side.

psycik
2013-09-06, 01:35 AM
Just so you can have a look. Here is the Scanner and agent I made.

It reads the format of files we have (the showname_yyyymmdd-starttime-endtime.ts) files in...and if you have the XML data being created for each recording, the agent reads that to populate plex.

See how that works for you. Maybe it would be better than the channel.

So when you add the new Section, call it whatever you want, and set the directory, but then Set the scanner to be "Recording Series Scanner2" and the Metadata agent to be NPVR. XML Agent.

If the zip file is installed properly they should both show up.

The zip file is from the Plex Media Server directory and so should plonk themselves where they need to be

psycik
2013-09-06, 01:39 AM
The agent looks for poster.jpg or folder.jpg for the art.

stustunz
2013-09-06, 06:46 AM
Ok. Found that. Stupid error. Wish this thing did compilation checks rather than interpreting only as it needed. So I fudged around in my db and set the duration as 0 and cleared out a description to force the errors.

And it seems to display what I expect now.

Also the What's New Days in the config wasn't implemented properly, and now should be.

Back on github - only the init.py has changed.

Can you open the init.py and look for this string "Warning('ConvertRecordingToEpisode: Recording: "%s", Descr error," and then remove

What's new works
But if I remove the line you said it breaks it I don't have a file editor so was just using note pad
Does it break anything if I just leave in there

stustunz
2013-09-06, 06:48 AM
Ok it won't play so I guess that's what the line does
I will find a program to edit

works fine on ipad which is the main thing
get error 404 on pc

stustunz
2013-09-06, 08:13 AM
ok I removed the line files still wont play
if you go back to previous version the files play
but then "whats new" doesn't populate

psycik
2013-09-06, 08:25 AM
Ok. Today with latest github version I tried from iPhone. But didn't try plex/web or roku.

Ill try soon.

psycik
2013-09-06, 10:10 AM
Ok, yes, something Ive been dong broke plex/web (trying to get plex connect going). I've reverted that. Hopefully now your what's new works.

Did you have a go with teh scanner and agent?

stustunz
2013-09-06, 10:16 AM
I havnt looked at scanner yet very tired will have a play over the weekend
The wife really likes the whats new and recordings on her ipad though (because its more like what is on nextpvr)

stustunz
2013-09-06, 10:21 AM
I think we have a winner ...... it all works :)

psycik
2013-09-06, 10:28 AM
I think we have a winner ...... it all works :)

Ok good. I guess I shoul dlearn how to branch so i can fiddle with teh Apple TV stuff without affecting the channel.

Thanks for all your efforts.

johnsonx42
2013-09-06, 07:18 PM
ok, so I'm not sure I know what I'm doing here. I downloaded NextPVR.Bundle from github, and put it in C:\Users\Dave\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Plug-ins. Is that what I was supposed to do? NextPVR now shows up under "Channels" on the media manager home screen. I clicked the gear icon and set the name of my NPVR server (which is the same machine); I tried both the name "tv" and localhost ip address 127.0.0.1. However when I select "Recordings" or "What's New" I just get a grey sad-face screen with the message "The media server responded with an error".

edit: wait a moment, it seems my npvr web server isn't working for some reason. I'll get that fixed and report back.

johnsonx42
2013-09-06, 07:57 PM
ok, figured out the web server issue, didn't have windows firewall configured right.

now when I go into Recordings I do get a list of all shows, but when I select any show to get a list of episodes, I get :( "this channel is currently unavailable". when I try "What's New" I get the same :( "The media server responded with an error" as before.

Would this be happening because I'm running a version of NPVR much more recent than 2.6.2 (and NEWA newer than 1.34)? Or am I doing something else wrong?

johnsonx42
2013-09-06, 08:07 PM
ok, learning as I go...

found the log you need, attached.

looks like it is gagging on some date/time responses from the web server, and this is one area that I think did have to change in the latest versions of NPVR and NEWA. If that is indeed the issue, I can wait until the public release. Or you can ask sub for early access if you don't have it already.

psycik
2013-09-06, 09:08 PM
Hi thanks for starting to look into it.

Here's the command that's run to get the list: http://127.0.0.1:8866/services?method=recording.list&filter=Ready&sid=plex

Can you run that on your machine and send the xml. It seems to be falling over an arrow episode - id 268161 to start with, like it's not calculating the duration.

Also you're the first with Non NZ dates.

johnsonx42
2013-09-06, 10:54 PM
attached

psycik
2013-09-07, 05:50 AM
That xml read through for me with no problems as all, both What's New and Recordings.

Looks like it was complaining about a duration being empty. I've added a special if to check if it's empty or not.

I've just attached the init.py rather than pushing to github all the time.

psycik
2013-09-07, 06:38 AM
I've pushed this code to github...also because I added Channel logos where possible to videos. Not quite sure what it will do if you don't have one. Probably fall over :D

johnsonx42
2013-09-07, 07:01 AM
no change in behavior with the updated __init__.py

psycik
2013-09-07, 07:05 AM
Strange. I couldn't get it to fail. Can you have a look at the error again?

stustunz
2013-09-07, 11:20 AM
Icons are looking good

johnsonx42
2013-09-07, 04:47 PM
here's all the log files I have, looks like the same error every time, no matter what show I select. the latest log file in the bunch was after I exited and restarted the plex media server, just to be sure I wasn't getting cached results.

edit: just for giggles, I just tried pulling the package from github again, put it in the plugin directory, and then restarted Plex Media Server. No change.

mvallevand
2013-09-07, 07:34 PM
I suspect the problem is the PMS that johnsonx42 is using is not running python 2.7

'datetime.timedelta' object has no attribute 'total_seconds'

Martin

johnsonx42
2013-09-07, 07:42 PM
My PMS says it's up to date, 0.9.7.28.

Is there a later version I need to be running, or is there something I need to add?

mvallevand
2013-09-07, 07:54 PM
How did you install python?

Martin

johnsonx42
2013-09-08, 12:57 AM
I didn't do anything with Python that I recall... was I supposed to? I simply installed Plex Media Server.

johnsonx42
2013-09-08, 01:00 AM
I do notice now though that despite Plex telling me that it's up to date, the version on the plex website (0.9.8.6.175) is a later version than what I have. When I get a chance (much later tonight or tomorrow) I'll try updating.

psycik
2013-09-08, 01:03 AM
It shouldn't be a factor. But I'm in the latest.

Python is installs as part of plex (or plex handles it internally)

johnsonx42
2013-09-08, 07:25 AM
Updating to the latest version solved the problem, now it works fine. Odd, the version I was running was only downloaded 3 weeks ago, it's not like it was ancient!

psycik
2013-09-08, 07:45 AM
How weird It had an effect.

There were a number of differences between the .9.7 and .9.8 but I didn't think anything in this area.

mvallevand
2013-09-08, 01:04 PM
What's to understand? The python error for the use of an unsupported function was causing your code to generate an exception.

Martin

JonnyCam
2013-09-17, 11:54 PM
Psycik,

Do you have any control over when something is streamed or transcoded?
I have a relatively slow linux server running my unraid & plex

If I play the files through my plex client on my samsung bluray (bd-e6500) they direct play, but through your channel they transcode.

psycik
2013-09-17, 11:58 PM
Psycik,

Do you have any control over when something is streamed or transcoded?
I have a relatively slow linux server running my unraid & plex

If I play the files through my plex client on my samsung bluray (bd-e6500) they direct play, but through your channel they transcode.

No, that's controlled by plex. I just give the client the file, and plex decides depending on the clients abilities whether to transcode or not.

I wonder what the difference is.

Can you send a PMS and nextpvr channel log showing playback from the plex client and then via the channel. Basically want to see the messages that get sent to see if we can work it out.

Cpoc
2013-12-19, 03:28 AM
I have installed your channel plugin in plex server and I'm impressed it works very well. I have given up on XBMC as its way too buggy. The windows has broken repositories and I'm not even going to get into the ARM port. Plex is done right with a client server module and upports transcoding for weaker devices. Works very well in ARM. Are you planning on adding Live TV support that would make it amazing. I'm using NextPVR for Hauppage H2PVR-2 and it works very well. Its the only PVR backend that supports it well.

You got to add Live TV support with trancoding via plex.

psycik
2014-01-31, 07:41 AM
I have installed your channel plugin in plex server and I'm impressed it works very well. I have given up on XBMC as its way too buggy. The windows has broken repositories and I'm not even going to get into the ARM port. Plex is done right with a client server module and upports transcoding for weaker devices. Works very well in ARM. Are you planning on adding Live TV support that would make it amazing. I'm using NextPVR for Hauppage H2PVR-2 and it works very well. Its the only PVR backend that supports it well.

You got to add Live TV support with trancoding via plex.

Your wish is my command.

I have a live branch on git hub. It has a version that I've successfully tested live tv (from my dvb-t tuner h.264/ac3/AACaudio) on a roku 3, iPad and Apple TV via plex connect.

Would love to see if someone else can get it working.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dgeezer
2014-02-01, 11:10 PM
I had a few minutes to look at this today. It did seem to work. I have a core I3 running windows 8 which is both my npvr install and my plex server. I'm in the US and use Npvr for OTA ATSC broadcast TV. This is all mpeg2 in a .ts container. I was able to get playback to work on my plex server pc with the Plex for Home Theatre. It buffered for a few seconds and then played fine. I'm not sure if it was transcoding or playing directly.

I also got playback to work on my Roku 3. Some of the stations seemed clear and some were blocky. Probably something to do with my transcoding settings.

I will try and put this to more of a real test tomorrow.

psycik
2014-02-01, 11:46 PM
I had a few minutes to look at this today. It did seem to work. I have a core I3 running windows 8 which is both my npvr install and my plex server. I'm in the US and use Npvr for OTA ATSC broadcast TV. This is all mpeg2 in a .ts container. I was able to get playback to work on my plex server pc with the Plex for Home Theatre. It buffered for a few seconds and then played fine. I'm not sure if it was transcoding or playing directly.

I also got playback to work on my Roku 3. Some of the stations seemed clear and some were blocky. Probably something to do with my transcoding settings.

I will try and put this to more of a real test tomorrow.

Mpeg2 most likely it's being transcoded. As most devices, Apple TV, iOS, android etc all prefer h.264.

The buffering is plex waiting for the live file to exist before it starts to transcode it. I'll look at making the duration of the live tv configurable. Currently it's 1 hour. And for an in progress recording it's the same as the recording data from nextpvr doesn't seem to specify and end time so I can't calculate it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

raxxy
2014-02-03, 11:20 PM
I have installed this on my network.

NextPVR (Latest, 4th feb) Running on Windows 7 Ultimate x64. Not the same physical (or virtual) machine as the plex server.
Tuner: Avermedia Twinstar 825 (http://avertv.avermedia.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?Id=491)
Plex Server: 0.9.8.18 (Linux)

List of Clients:
4x Raspberry Pi's using RASPLEX 9.9.19. All 4 have bought and paid mpg2 licenses (previously used nextpvr under xbmc until my library got too large, moved to plex and dropped live-tv)
2x Raspberry Pi's using RASPLEX 9.9.19. These 2 don't have the licenses.
3x Android remotes
1x iPhone (4s)
7x PC webuis (both plex.tv/web and server built-in)
1x PlexHT on Windows 8.1

This works on:
All RPI's that _HAVE_ the mpg2 license.
All android remotes
Mostly flawless on iphone (stuttered once in 1min)
Built-in PC Webui ONLY (bundled with plex server on http://plex.server.ip:32400/web)
PlexHT on Windows 8.1

Does not work on:
plex.tv/web PC browser UI.
Rasplex/RPI's without the mpg2 license (need to find a way to force server transcoding to x264 - will ask devs) - result is no video, but audio works fine.

Discovered problems:
Previously, when using nextpvr with XBMC's back end, i would have no problem playing two separate channels (tuner supported) on seperate xbmc clients, under the plex integration it terminates the first playback to start a second one, but still uses the second tuner for the new stream.

because rPI's don't support MPG2 out of the box (must pay the licence fee), i believe you should find a way to force x264 transcoding via the server for all clients (minimal penalty here, but it guarantees full support for every single type of receiver) Also going to file an enhancement request with rasplex to see if they can find a way to do it.

do note that this doesn't attempt to transcode anything at all to devices that have direct-play enabled (thus us handing the data directly from the nextpvr machine to the end-client, skipping the server. this will prevent remote-play over the internet as the nextpvr machine (even if installed on same plex server) won't be able to get through the NAT's on both ends).

I appreciate your work, looking forward to new developments :)

Crosslinking something I added to the rasplex git list; just incase something can be done to solve the mpg2 problem from their side: https://github.com/RasPlex/RasPlex/issues/133

W3bbo
2014-02-06, 03:18 PM
Absolutely loving the Plex channel, extending NextPVR out to additional clients is fantastic.

I'm currently testing out the Live TV functionality (I've also changed the code slightly to show the next programme name instead of channel name on the Live TV listing - looks like the code was already in place for this, is there any reason it wasn't originally used?) and have found an interesting situation.

I have two DVB-T tuners with the same channel lineup and have found that if one tuner is in use recording, I can view Live TV for any other channels on the same mux, however if I attempt to watch a channel on a separate mux (which would require using the second tuner) the Plex channel generates the error "The operation could not be completed. An unknown error occurred (-12880).

My understanding is limited but from the code it appears that the channel simply calls to a URL using the NEWA port on the server so I suspect the issue may be there rather than the channel itself?

I'll continue to test (potentially trying reversing the device order for live TV) to see if this helps but any guidance would be gratefully received!

Update: Looks like during my testing one of the tuners became unresponsive which I suspect was what was causing the error - will test further to see if I can reproduce.

raxxy
2014-02-15, 06:10 AM
Had any progress mate?

Rasplex devs have said that there's nothing they can do in regards to forcing x264 transcoding..

psycik
2014-02-16, 07:18 AM
So I've update the Live branch wth:
Added the summary and show name to the live menu
Added a unique identifier to teh PVR call which should force a new tuner to be used. I haven't tested this yet baring accessing the live menu to make sure it stll works.

Not quite sure whats up with the plex/web, nor how to force transcoding for all clients.

chip33az
2014-02-26, 02:35 PM
Hi,

I've been using NextPVR for about a year and recently purchased a ROKU 3. I found this channel and really like it. I'm intending on purchasing the new HDTC-2US for the h264 transcoding. For about the past week we've been using this channel to watch the shows we've recorded.

My only question - is there an easy way to delete a recording? Currently after we watch a show, I go to the computer, launch NextPVR and delete it. It would be great if this channel would offer a delete option (perhaps it does and I've overlooked it).

Thanks for your hard work on this channel.

psycik
2014-02-26, 06:10 PM
Not as yet. I'm not sure if plex gives us the options of a dialog, or a way of attaching an action.

I know it does have delete option for videos in sections, but I've not seen anything in a channel.

chip33az
2014-02-26, 06:50 PM
Thank you.

I thought it would be something simple (I'm not a programmer) as just creating a new item in the menu for the selected item and then somehow calling the NextPVR api to delete the program and then returning to the folder or upper folder.

Thanks again for answering the question and for writing this fantastic channel!!

raxxy
2014-03-19, 07:50 AM
Cheers mate; late reply.

Rasplex recently started using a profiler to force-transcode unsupported codecs, so now I have the best of both worlds.

MrFusion
2014-04-07, 12:29 PM
Hi,

First, many thanks indeed for writing this channel!

Got a small problem though...

Over the last week I've installed the latest Plex, NextPVR, Plex app on Samsung BD-H6500, Plex app on Android mobile, Plex app on iPad, and NextPVR channel (from the Live branch).

Issue I'm seeing at the moment with the NextPVR channel is that I can see both live and recorded TV on the Android and iPad, but can only see recorded TV on the Sammy. When I try to start live TV I get the spinny dots for a while, and then get a "file not found" error.

Any hints and/or suggestions for where to start looking?

Thanks!!

psycik
2014-04-07, 07:34 PM
Have a dig around in the plex settings and see if you can force transcoding.

Something else you can try is what happens when you try watchng a recording that us in progress?

If could be a fault in how long your samsung waits for a file to exist. As with live everything has to wait until the file has some cibtent. And maybe your blue ray is a little impatient.

smacrae
2014-04-08, 04:20 AM
Hi psycik....this channel passed my attention...so wow...you really have playing back of Recorded and Live TV? Just deletions and adding recording is done va the Web Interface from ones tablet or computer right?

Really cool...could I see a few screen grabs? Pretty please....

Just wondering also:

1. Is the latest on GITHUB Live TV enabled?
2. My NextPVR has a password, is your plug-in able to use this?
3. When I tried to go in to preferences from PHT it doesn't allow me to access...do I have to manually edited?

psycik
2014-04-08, 04:40 AM
Hi psycik....this channel passed my attention...so wow...you really have playing back of Recorded and Live TV? Just deletions and adding recording is done va the Web Interface from ones tablet or computer right?

Really cool...could I see a few screen grabs? Pretty please....

Just wondering also:

3. When I tried to go in to preferences from PHT it doesn't allow me to access...do I have to manually edited?

Um, not sure if I have any screen caps anywhere apart from what might be in this thread. And I'm actually between houses at the moment so the NextPVR server has gone into storage.

Regarding your questions.

Should be if I've done it right. I made a Live fork, but I believe I've moved it back - if not, check the live fork.

EDIT; Looks like no - I'll need to figure out how to merge the fork and the master.

Probably not, it's not something I have on my local instance....you mean your nextpvr has a password even on local network?

It should go. To be honest most of my testing was via IOS app and Plex/Web - but the settings were done pretty early and I'd not had any reason to change them.

I'll start up a VM with a basic NextPVR install on it, so I can at least test functionality and a couple of basic updates (and verify that the latest nextpvr hasn't introduced a bug I'm unaware of.

psycik
2014-04-08, 04:41 AM
Probably worth starting a thread in 3rd party threads for support, unless you're happy to keep using the one thread for resolving problems.

smacrae
2014-04-20, 06:58 AM
I am failing to find the latest version...what I have is from GIT hub on the first post which doesn't have Live TV....any change a link can be posted here to the latest version that have Live TV?

Also, just wondering the feature set...does 'resume' partially watched programs work? If this and Live TV worked and a way of having the metadata show better that would be great....remember here in Australia the metadata in the EPG doesn't include season/episode etc....so just grabbing what is in the EPG for titles and summary would be good enough....

psycik
2014-04-20, 07:24 AM
I thought I'd promoted the live branch to be the master,. When I looked at it, it seemed to have the new code as I expected. Is this not the case?

I did have some issues getting plex to tell nextpvr a recording had been partially watched. Not sure if it works the other way though. Channels are not like normal plex videos, so don't expect to start at a certain point.

psycik
2014-04-20, 07:25 AM
Also like you we don't have season/episode info, so it should be taking from nextpvr metadata.

smacrae
2014-04-21, 05:58 AM
Thanks psycik, I have the latest from the GIT HUB that you have provided a link to in the first post on this thread and only "What's New" and "Recordings" show, not Live TV or EPG options...also on the date of a program one it is selected is shown, no metadata for summary etc.

-SM

smacrae
2014-04-21, 06:06 AM
Scrap that...I decided to download the latest master and it's working...thanks....

Still finding that metadata on the summary of a program isn't rendered, also in PHT a pre-play screen is shown....or in this case is just grey and one presses the P button to get it to play....do you know what I mean?

psycik
2014-04-21, 09:01 AM
Scrap that...I decided to download the latest master and it's working...thanks....

Still finding that metadata on the summary of a program isn't rendered, also in PHT a pre-play screen is shown....or in this case is just grey and one presses the P button to get it to play....do you know what I mean?

Is this on live or recordings?

I don't have a nextpvr setup currently (that can record) so can't test live. But I checked a recording (not a what's new) and hitting the info button got the summary info from nextpvr.

smacrae
2014-04-22, 12:37 AM
On Recordings...If I start watching a recording, watch for 5minutes for example and then click on stop....try playing again or moving out of the folder and back in the program won't resume...just starts playing from the beginning...

smacrae
2014-04-24, 02:13 AM
Just to add I can get the Info before playing a file and it says "last position etc." but will always start from the beginning not offering a 'resume'....this is from "Recordings" not "What's New".

Also, in terms of PMT with the new Skin by the Plex teams...they have the pre-play screens that render information about the selected program...can your plug-in be made aware of this as currently with PHT you can only see the name of the program/date now summary at the list view before the pre-play screen and if you select the program it just goes to a blank grey sreen...one can then press play 'p' but it is not very good for the WAF....

Please see screenshots of what I mean.

-SM

jam_zhou
2014-07-15, 02:14 PM
Any updates on smacrae's problem? I am seeing the same thing. I thought it was broken until I found this thread.

psycik
2014-07-15, 09:03 PM
I've got a system now (bought a hd home run and have a virtualised Nextpvr system). So I'll be able to start looking at some of this stuff again.

So the two main issues are resuming and the PHT summaries?

So about the resume....I don't think with a channel I can set the start position (remember channels are designed for streaming video). Which I think is why I post the Last Playback position in the Summary description. As it's a manual action.

REgarding the summary info. What should be on that last page?

In fact make a new thread and we'll carry it on there (just post a link here and we can handle it independantly)

jam_zhou
2014-07-18, 04:23 AM
Here's a screen cap of what it looks like.

psycik
2014-07-18, 08:14 AM
So when I ask for information on live tv I get the following (ios client)http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/18/hyqyne4y.jpg

Same on the web version. Does yours (where put does not). Trying to figure out if they've done something new in pht.

cpucrust
2014-08-16, 07:22 PM
Hi, thanks for the effort that is going into this plugin.

I have installed the bundle onto my Plex server running on Windows 7.
I have NextPVR installed onto this same computer.

1) I can successfully playback recorded content and LiveTV content on my Android Nexus4 with the Android Plex client when selecting the NextPVR channel
2) I can successfully playback recorded content and LiveTV content on any PC with a web browser at "http://192.168.11.189:32400/web" and when selecting the NextPVR channel

However, none of my Windows 7 PC's with PHT (running on my LAN) can playback the recorded content or LiveTV content:

1) On PHT (running on separate Windows 7 PC's), when the "Channels" is selected, I see the "NextPVR" channel plugin icon.
2) When the NextPVR icon is selected, nothing happens, except a quick flashing of "Please Wait" in the bottom right corner of PHT.

Is there something in PHT running on the windows PC that I need to configure?
Is there something in PMS running on the server windows PC that I need to configure? I tried searching in the bundle for some kind of config settings...

PHT version installed on client PC's: 1.2.1.314-7cb0133e

Thanks.

psycik
2014-08-16, 09:08 PM
Hi, thanks for the effort that is going into this plugin.

I have installed the bundle onto my Plex server running on Windows 7.
I have NextPVR installed onto this same computer.

1) I can successfully playback recorded content and LiveTV content on my Android Nexus4 with the Android Plex client when selecting the NextPVR channel
2) I can successfully playback recorded content and LiveTV content on any PC with a web browser at "http://192.168.11.189:32400/web" and when selecting the NextPVR channel

However, none of my Windows 7 PC's with PHT (running on my LAN) can playback the recorded content or LiveTV content:

1) On PHT (running on separate Windows 7 PC's), when the "Channels" is selected, I see the "NextPVR" channel plugin icon.
2) When the NextPVR icon is selected, nothing happens, except a quick flashing of "Please Wait" in the bottom right corner of PHT.

Is there something in PHT running on the windows PC that I need to configure?
Is there something in PMS running on the server windows PC that I need to configure? I tried searching in the bundle for some kind of config settings...

PHT version installed on client PC's: 1.2.1.314-7cb0133e

Thanks.

There should be no extra setting to play with.

Have you tried plex/web on your computers?

cpucrust
2014-08-17, 05:29 PM
There should be no extra setting to play with.

Have you tried plex/web on your computers?

It turned out that I had an old version of Plex Home Theater installed on my Windows PC - even though I did all the updates.

Solution on the Plex client PC:
1) I uninstalled PHT - it did not uninstall cleanly
2) Manually removed APPDATA\Plex
3) Manually removed Program Files x86\Plex
4) Installed the latest stable as of today: 1.2.1.314-7cb0133e
5) NextPVR plugin now works!

Thanks!

psycik
2014-08-17, 08:22 PM
It turned out that I had an old version of Plex Home Theater installed on my Windows PC - even though I did all the updates.

Solution on the Plex client PC:
1) I uninstalled PHT - it did not uninstall cleanly
2) Manually removed APPDATA\Plex
3) Manually removed Program Files x86\Plex
4) Installed the latest stable as of today: 1.2.1.314-7cb0133e
5) NextPVR plugin now works!

Thanks!

you also should have been able to try http://plexserver:32400/web to test it also (not the nextpvr EWA address).

cpucrust
2014-08-19, 12:21 AM
Yes. The web access worked perfectly. It was an older Plex Home Theater which stayed around, even though the updates were applied.

Are there any plans to add reading of the NPVR EPG data to the Plex-NPVR channel?

Awesome plugin and thanks.

psycik
2014-08-19, 12:39 AM
Yes. The web access worked perfectly. It was an older Plex Home Theater which stayed around, even though the updates were applied.

Are there any plans to add reading of the NPVR EPG data to the Plex-NPVR channel?

Awesome plugin and thanks.

I keep thinking about that, and setting recordings etc. But the UI for channels really doesn't lend itself well to operations other than just straight playback. Even figuring out deleting is hard enough.

cpucrust
2014-08-19, 02:11 AM
Is it because the Plex Channel API is limited in some way(s)?
I just browsed the source code in Github out of preliminary interest to see what could be done, but unfortunately I'm not fluent in Python at all (spend all my time as C++/C# developer).
Of course, I suspect a thorough understanding of the NextPVR API would also be necessary.

psycik
2014-08-19, 09:33 AM
Is it because the Plex Channel API is limited in some way(s)?
I just browsed the source code in Github out of preliminary interest to see what could be done, but unfortunately I'm not fluent in Python at all (spend all my time as C++/C# developer).
Of course, I suspect a thorough understanding of the NextPVR API would also be necessary.

Yeah. The channel api is quite different from the media API in terms of capabilities. So it a matter of working around it.

That's how I learnt. I've not seen any python before I wrote that channel. Like you schooled in C# only.

EmptyInTheHead
2014-10-27, 04:44 PM
I noticed that the latest version of NextPVR 3.3.9 breaks the this Plex plugin if you specify the new NextPVR multi-part channel option. For example, in NextPVR you can now specify a channel number as 3.1 instead of just 3. If you do this the channel doesn't get the additional digit and just asks Plex for channel # 3, probably because it doesn't know how to get the additional part. You can work around this by not using the multi-part channel number, or if you already changed them, you can change them back by specifying zero (0) as the second part.

psycik
2014-10-27, 06:34 PM
Ok I'll have to have a look and see what's happening.

Have a look in Your logs (plex.log) in with the rest of the NextPVR logs and send them through, and I'll see if I can see what you're passing to the channel.

skl111
2014-10-30, 02:38 AM
Yeah. The channel api is quite different from the media API in terms of capabilities. So it a matter of working around it.

That's how I learnt. I've not seen any python before I wrote that channel. Like you schooled in C# only.

Any chance you would change your mind and put in and EPG Listing?

EmptyInTheHead
2014-11-19, 11:06 PM
I get this error only from my Android client (Nexus 7). I can't seem to attach a log, but this is a clip that seems relevant from the NextPVR plugin log.

2014-11-19 15:57:21,367 (2e8c) : INFO (logkit:16) - LiveMenu: URL set to http://127.0.0.1:8866/live?channel=61&sid=plex&client=1d214f67959008f-com-plexapp-plex
2014-11-19 15:57:21,367 (2e8c) : INFO (logkit:16) - CreateVideoClipObject: Playvideo: http://127.0.0.1:8866/live?channel=61&sid=plex&client=1d214f67959008f-com-plexapp-plex
2014-11-19 15:57:21,368 (2e8c) : WARNING (objectkit:200) - Media part has no streams - attempting to synthesize
2014-11-19 15:57:21,375 (2e8c) : DEBUG (runtime:106) - Sending packed state data (111 bytes)
2014-11-19 15:57:21,375 (2e8c) : DEBUG (runtime:918) - Response: [200] MediaContainer, 13933 bytes
2014-11-19 15:57:29,789 (2458) : DEBUG (runtime:717) - Handling request GET /video/nextpvr/videoclipobject?channel=7153&container=mp2ts&include_container=True&includeRelated=1&includeRelatedCount=0&rating_key=3&summary=A%20Dentist's%20Dilemma%3A%20My%20Ex-Wife%20and%20Ex-Girlfriend%20Are%20Plotting%20Against%20Me!%3A%20R ick%20says%20his%20ex-wife%20and%20ex-girlfriend%20have%20teamed%20up%20to%20ruin%20his% 20life%20by%20keeping%20him%20away%20from%20his%20 child%3B%20they%20say%20he%20is%20controlling%20an d%20abusive%2C%20and%20they%20fear%20he%20is%20a%2 0danger.&title=KTVK-HD%20%3A%20Dr.%20Phil&url=http%3A%2F%2F127.0.0.1%3A8866%2Flive%3Fchannel %3D3%26sid%3Dplex%26client%3D1d214f67959008f-com-plexapp-plex
2014-11-19 15:57:29,792 (2458) : DEBUG (runtime:814) - Found route matching /video/nextpvr/videoclipobject
2014-11-19 15:57:29,792 (2458) : CRITICAL (core:572) - Exception (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Plug-ins\Framework.bundle\Contents\Resources\Versions\2 \Python\Framework\components\runtime.py", line 843, in handle_request
result = f(**d)
TypeError: CreateVideoClipObject() got an unexpected keyword argument 'includeRelated'

2014-11-19 15:57:29,795 (2458) : DEBUG (runtime:106) - Sending packed state data (111 bytes)
2014-11-19 15:57:29,795 (2458) : DEBUG (runtime:918) - Response: [500] 518 bytes
2014-11-19 15:57:29,957 (2390) : DEBUG (runtime:717) - Handling request GET /video/nextpvr/videoclipobject?channel=7153&container=mp2ts&include_container=True&includeRelated=1&includeRelatedCount=0&rating_key=3&summary=A%20Dentist's%20Dilemma%3A%20My%20Ex-Wife%20and%20Ex-Girlfriend%20Are%20Plotting%20Against%20Me!%3A%20R ick%20says%20his%20ex-wife%20and%20ex-girlfriend%20have%20teamed%20up%20to%20ruin%20his% 20life%20by%20keeping%20him%20away%20from%20his%20 child%3B%20they%20say%20he%20is%20controlling%20an d%20abusive%2C%20and%20they%20fear%20he%20is%20a%2 0danger.&title=KTVK-HD%20%3A%20Dr.%20Phil&url=http%3A%2F%2F127.0.0.1%3A8866%2Flive%3Fchannel %3D3%26sid%3Dplex%26client%3D1d214f67959008f-com-plexapp-plex
2014-11-19 15:57:29,959 (2390) : DEBUG (runtime:814) - Found route matching /video/nextpvr/videoclipobject
2014-11-19 15:57:29,959 (2390) : CRITICAL (core:572) - Exception (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\admin\AppData\Local\Plex Media Server\Plug-ins\Framework.bundle\Contents\Resources\Versions\2 \Python\Framework\components\runtime.py", line 843, in handle_request
result = f(**d)
TypeError: CreateVideoClipObject() got an unexpected keyword argument 'includeRelated'

2014-11-19 15:57:29,960 (2390) : DEBUG (runtime:106) - Sending packed state data (111 bytes)
2014-11-19 15:57:29,960 (2390) : DEBUG (runtime:918) - Response: [500] 518 bytes

psycik
2014-11-19, 11:17 PM
Hmm not sure what to suggest there. The includeRelated parameter it seems to be stumbling over is not one that I set when creating the video clip. And as you said, your other clients do not seem affected.

Are you on the latest Plex server? Maybe they changed an api call somewhere?