PDA

View Full Version : System: Support Thread

imilne
2012-02-25, 09:07 AM
This is the (new) support thread for the System (http://www.gbpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Plugin.System)plugin, which provides a system overview of recordings, connected drives (including network drives), active tuners, basic hardware monitoring, and power related options.

If posting bug reports, please ensure to include the log files from either C:\Users\Public\NPVR\Logs or C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\NPVR\Logs.

Iain

ElihuRozen
2012-02-25, 06:31 PM
Wishlist item: Display estimate of storage required for pending recordings. Thye user would have to configure the ratio in Settings for this to be shown. Select someting like MB/minute or GB/hour and default it to zero. If the user changes it to say 7.5 for GB/hour, then you would add the minutes scheduled, divide it by 60 and multiply that by 7.5 for display.

Although, I looked at what some of my recordings take & I'm all over the place. Some HD is over 7 GB/hr, some is half that & the SD is half that.

Grampz
2012-02-26, 09:28 AM
Unable to view left status icons, nor upper buttons with the BlueretroVE+ 3.7 skin. Fine with the default skin, Log attached..

Greg

Jaggy
2012-02-26, 09:32 AM
Unable to view left status icons, nor upper buttons with the BlueretroVE+ 3.7 skin. Fine with the default skin, Log attached..

Greg

Give me a chance........, the System plugin update version was only posted on the wiki today!!
But having said that I have already done the necessary BRVE+ skin modifications for it to work & I will be uploading them to the wiki in about 12 hours.

Grampz
2012-02-26, 09:55 AM
Give me a chance........, the System plugin update version was only posted on the wiki today!!

Sorry, I didn't know that this issue has been noticed nor addressed.. Jeez!

Greg

Jaggy
2012-02-26, 10:44 PM
Sorry, I didn't know that this issue has been noticed nor addressed.. Jeez! Greg

Iain was really nice & let the skinners know in advance that the new version was not going to work with their current skins so we had a head start to get the update done ;)

Update released now
http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.php?47170-BlueRetroVE-skin-for-NPVR&p=432153#post432153

Grampz
2012-02-26, 11:54 PM
Thanks for the update. Awesome work!

Greg

Jaggy
2012-03-01, 10:35 PM
Something I just noticed yesterday while answering a question from bgowland where I needed to look at my config.xml is that when I update my EPG trough the System plugin the "recording-backup.xml" & "recurring-backup.xml" don't get updated whereas doing an update through settings-channels-UpDateEPG they do get updated??

I finally got a free few seconds to update to the wiki version but the problem with the -backup's not updating is still there.

imilne
2012-03-02, 08:24 AM
I finally got a free few seconds to update to the wiki version but the problem with the -backup's not updating is still there.

I'll look into it tonight if I can. It might be one for sub to answer though, unless there's something specific I can do to make NPVR create those files after requesting an EPG update. That's literally all I do - request an update, and ask for a reload after it's done. Other than that it's all in NPVR's hands.

Edit: Actually I think I see how to do it. I'll double-check for sure later...

Iain

imilne
2012-03-02, 05:50 PM
New version now on the wiki (http://www.gbpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Plugin.System)that will ensure the backup files will update after a manual EPG update...

Iain

Lao Pan
2012-03-03, 07:57 PM
Hi Iain
A few people were asking the other day if you could put cpu temp etc. in the plugin.
I have been using Core Temp (http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/)for a while which seems to give good results - well at least temps are somewhere close to what I would expect.
The latest version has options for plugin developers and there are sidebar gadgets and a media centre plugin available so probably do-able, if you ever get the time :D

Intel and AMD supported

imilne
2012-03-04, 05:33 PM
Thanks Lao Pan, looks interesting. I'll see what's possible but I won't make any promises, mainly because I'm not massively keen on the idea in the first place, especially if it means the System plugin ends up relying on third party functionality that might not be installed. It'll all depend on how it links in...

Iain

imilne
2012-03-04, 07:34 PM
Ok, that was easier than expected. Try the attached and see how you get on.

You need CoreTemp installed and running, but their code works well enough that it doesn't cause problems if it's not there. In System's case, it simply just doesn't display the temperature value.

The value that is displayed is the maximum temperature found across all CPUs/cores. I'm not going to do anything fancy and try to display more than that. The choice of Celsius or Fahrenheit is made within CoreTemp itself, not the System plugin.

I've tested it successfully on a mobile Core 2 Duo and an i3, but it won't work on everything. From their docs:

Core Temp supports all AMD processors starting with the Athlon64 family.
Intel processors are supported starting with the Core series. Pentium 4, D, M and older processors do not
have the required digital sensor integrated to allow Core Temp to properly function.
Same goes for the Xeon processors, only CPUs starting the Xeon LV (Yonah core), Xeon 3000 series and
Xeon 5100 series and up are supported.

I've also no idea what the licence implications of this are yet...

Iain

Lao Pan
2012-03-05, 06:19 PM
Damn that was fast!

Thanks Iain working well on AMD Brisbane 5600 - only reading to the nearest .25 of a degree though :D

Reddwarf
2012-03-05, 09:35 PM
Ok, that was easier than expected. Try the attached and see how you get on.

You need CoreTemp installed and running, but their code works well enough that it doesn't cause problems if it's not there. In System's case, it simply just doesn't display the temperature value.

The value that is displayed is the maximum temperature found across all CPUs/cores. I'm not going to do anything fancy and try to display more than that. The choice of Celsius or Fahrenheit is made within CoreTemp itself, not the System plugin.

I've tested it successfully on a mobile Core 2 Duo and an i3, but it won't work on everything. From their docs:

Core Temp supports all AMD processors starting with the Athlon64 family.
Intel processors are supported starting with the Core series. Pentium 4, D, M and older processors do not
have the required digital sensor integrated to allow Core Temp to properly function.
Same goes for the Xeon processors, only CPUs starting the Xeon LV (Yonah core), Xeon 3000 series and
Xeon 5100 series and up are supported.

I've also no idea what the licence implications of this are yet...

IainWonderful!! Would it maybe be possible to set an alarm for high cpu temperature? Please? :)

imilne
2012-03-06, 03:12 PM
Wonderful!! Would it maybe be possible to set an alarm for high cpu temperature? Please? :)

And have it do what if the trigger is reached (serious question)?

Iain

Lao Pan
2012-03-08, 01:42 PM
If you are tinkering with the code for the temperature reading would it not be better if the decimal points of a degree were ignored - it would stop the cpu usage / temperature dancing around as the text length changes - definitely only cosmetic, not important.

imilne
2012-03-08, 01:48 PM
If you are tinkering with the code for the temperature reading would it not be better if the decimal points of a degree were ignored - it would stop the cpu usage / temperature dancing around as the text length changes - definitely only cosmetic, not important.

I'd only seen to the nearest 10th of a degree (in F) in my limited testing (and only ever integers with C), so didn't bother formatting the string, but if you're seeing all kinds of crazy then I'll add that in. I guess it's cpu dependant.

Iain

Graham
2012-03-08, 02:01 PM
I guess it's cpu dependant.

It varies from none to 3 decimal places on my system with an AMD A6.

Lao Pan
2012-03-08, 02:09 PM
AMD 5600 Brisbane gets the nearest .25 deg C - e.g. 52C / 52.25C / 52.5C / 52.75C so centred text is dancing about a bit

imilne
2012-03-08, 02:33 PM
Here you go...

Iain

Graham
2012-03-08, 02:44 PM
Here you go

That took more than 20 minutes. Did you have to stop for tea? :)

imilne
2012-03-08, 02:57 PM
That took more than 20 minutes. Did you have to stop for tea? :)

It was more a case of waiting for my boss to go for tea...

Iain

Lao Pan
2012-03-08, 04:56 PM
Rushed home and installed with no problems - thanks Iain

Reddwarf coretemp has overheat protection - you can set anything from a balloon tip (don't know if NPVR stay on top will hide it) or a shutdown or run a program of your choice.

Jaggy
2012-03-09, 07:49 PM
Hmmm... "works" fine for me on this old snail PC ;) & it also now produces the backup files when I do an EPG update, thanks....

The only small issue I have if for the temp display unlike the screenshot you posted in post#13 I don't see the small degree symbol or the big C for me it's the temp followed by a small box like the symbol is missing from the font... I have tested this with both the default skin & my own skin (which uses Arial for that font) & it's the same for both.

imilne
2012-03-09, 08:00 PM
Are you using XP, Vista or 7? I just did a search for the unicode for those symbols and they worked fine for me (on 7). To be honest, I'm not that keen on them anyway because the little degree symbol rises above the rest of the text (and that was annoying me :)) so I might just go back to using a big C or F and thing else, especially if it's not going to work everywhere.

Iain

Jaggy
2012-03-09, 08:45 PM
I'm on XP & looking at the Arial font info it does show the degree symbol as unicode U+00B0... But I'm quite happy to just have to big C ;)

Reddwarf
2012-03-10, 12:02 PM
Rushed home and installed with no problems - thanks Iain

Reddwarf coretemp has overheat protection - you can set anything from a balloon tip (don't know if NPVR stay on top will hide it) or a shutdown or run a program of your choice.Just discovered that too, thanks :)

imilne
2012-03-10, 12:48 PM
Wiki page updated again with a proper release containing the coretemp monitoring stuff. I've also found a better degrees symbol that seems to work across XP and 7 (although what's the bet it'll now be shafted on Vista :)).

Iain

Jaggy
2012-03-10, 08:19 PM
Yep that's much much better on XP & way better than the box :)