PDA

View Full Version : [Plugin] MusicMonkey: music playback via MediaMonkey

cncb
2011-12-12, 08:50 PM
This is the support thread for the MusicMonkey plugin as described in the wiki: http://www.gbpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Plugin.MusicMonkey

The plugin allows you to browse and play back your local music collection through the MediaMonkey (http://www.mediamonkey.com) software while controlling it in NPVR.

Grampz
2011-12-13, 07:34 PM
Is this an alternative to Music box?

cncb
2011-12-13, 07:45 PM
Is this an alternative to Music box?

I guess it could be depending on how you use MusicBox. This plugin relies on an external application (MediaMonkey) for playback and to maintain the metadata database, playlists, etc. whereas (as I understand it) MusicBox does all this internally in NPVR so does not require any additional software and can be used on extenders.

gEd
2011-12-13, 07:48 PM
Wow, that looks really fantastic. Well done.
I use J. River Media Center myself (launched via remote control macro) so this isn't for me but this looks like a significant addition to music playback for nextpvr users.

Just to clarify (for others) does it work with the free, rather than the paid version of MediaMonkey?

cncb
2011-12-13, 08:03 PM
Just to clarify (for others) does it work with the free, rather than the paid version of MediaMonkey?

Yes, it does work with the free version.

I actually just recently switched to MediaMonkey after using JRMC exclusively for several years.

gEd
2011-12-15, 11:28 PM
I tested musicmonkey out (just to take a peek) and it works very well indeed. I had no problems at all getting it up and running. Definitely recommended.

just my 2c...
Personally I would prefer it if it scrolled top to bottom rather than left to right as it would scroll through my collection faster.
It would be good if it could show the playback timeline (like in the screensaver) by default at the bottom of the screen.
I struggled to create a Recent Albums view, showing album icons ordered by the files created date

cncb
2011-12-16, 12:09 AM
Personally I would prefer it if it scrolled top to bottom rather than left to right as it would scroll through my collection faster.
It would be good if it could show the playback timeline (like in the screensaver) by default at the bottom of the screen.
I struggled to create a Recent Albums view, showing album icons ordered by the files created date

-Unfortunately, the list scrolling is controlled by NPVR and only scrolls horizontally for the "icon grid" list type.
-I will consider this for the future.
-Can you explain this in more detail? How are trying to create this "view"?

gEd
2011-12-16, 10:18 PM
-Can you explain this in more detail? How are trying to create this "view"?

I wanted to show Albums with the most recently added to the library listed first. (basically replicate JRMC's "recent" option)
I tried Date;Album and it says "error, press escape"
FileModified;Album shows folders with a strange number under them such as 39376.455793761 with nothing inside when I select them.

cncb
2011-12-16, 10:45 PM
I wanted to show Albums with the most recently added to the library listed first. (basically replicate JRMC's "recent" option)

As you have seen, the "Library Items" feature I added is nowhere near as complete as the "View Schemes" in JRMC. I just offered it up for a little flexibility to customize viewing different fields with some filtering/grouping. You can't do what you want since I don't offer any formatting or sorting options for the Fields. The best you can do at the moment is view the "Recently Added" auto playlist which by default will show you the tracks added in the last 30 days sorted by descending date added.

Lao Pan
2012-02-12, 07:00 AM
Is it possible to use the visualizations that Mediamonkey can use with this plugin?
I used to use mediamonkey a few years ago, was thinking of using Morfyre as a replacement for R4 in winamp which seems to have developed memory leaks recently.
It would be great to be able to use this plugin direct from NPVR with full screen Vizualizations - best plasma screen conditioner you could wish for :D

cncb
2012-02-12, 01:59 PM
Unfortunately I don't see any way to display the Visualization window via the MediaMonkey API or global hotkeys. So, you would have to send keypresses to the MediaMonkey main window to display the Visualization window (Ctl+Alt+v to show window and Alt+Enter to make it full screen). At this point you would have to make sure NPVR gets focus when you close the visualization window. Sorry, I don't see any easy way to do it from NPVR.

Lao Pan
2012-02-13, 04:56 PM
Thanks for having a look - - - if ever it becomes available ;)
Maybe we need a plugin to run winamp plugins in NPVR - I think mediaportal :eek: does.

It does seem that mediamonkey is less leaky than Winamp so may use it instead - standalone if vizualisations are required - your plugin otherwise.

cncb
2012-08-10, 05:09 PM
v1.1 changes:

Can add tracks to existing playlists and create new playlists
Shows progress bar and playback time at bottom of browsing screen
Now Playing list management (remove, reorder)
Pandora stations (feed) and internet radio favorites can be browsed and launched in external browser
Screensaver text can be customized and skins were tweaked to better handle longer titles

Also note the following to avoid some potential annoyances with recent versions of MediaMonkey:

Disable file re-association: Tools | Options | General | OS Integration > Uncheck 'Re-associate File Types on startup' to avoid occasional UAC dialogs for 'COM Elevator' popping up behind NPVR and making it look frozen.
Add the same file to a playlist twice and respond to the duplicate dialog and set it to not show again or it might pop up over NPVR forcing you to respond with a mouse.