PDA

View Full Version : LiveTV Pause and Remote Problems

pthielen
2004-02-11, 12:20 AM
First off, thanks for such a great program. I really like the user interface and the integration of all the features. I have a few issues I would like to try to work out.

Initially I could not get LiveTV working, but after reading the forum and registering those files suggested in another thread LiveTV started working. When I try to pause LiveTV, a few issues come up. Pausing works fine, but if I restart playing and then try to fast forward the file seems to restart playing at the point I paused. If I hit play while fast forwarding it again goes back to the pause point and starts playing normally from there. Occasionally, I will lose the audio stream as well. Playing a prerecorded file seems to work fine.

The second issue is in regard to the Hauppauge remote. I do not normally use the Hauppauge remote software. From the documentation it appeared that GB-PVR would handle the remote interface without the Hauppauge software running. For me, the remote only works if I run the Hauppauge remote software. Is this normal or is this feature not implemented yet? Maybe I did quite understand what was being said in the documentation.

I have been using this program for less than a day so I apologize if I have missed some obvious things, but I browsed and searched the forums and haven't seen anything related posted. Thanks for the help.

-PeteT

sub
2004-02-11, 01:20 AM
*Sorry, no warranty on ffw/rrw when watching LiveTV. Lots more work to be done in this area sorry...

If you have a PVR350, and are using the TV out, then GB-PVR will use directly communicate with the Hauppauge remote. I did it in this situation, so that GB-PVR did not need to be in the foreground (it could just be minimized. The normal mechamism (not direct) has the Hauppuage irremote.exe sending keystrokes to the foreground application, this wasn't going to work for the minimized GB-PVR which was being view via the PVR.

Why do you not normally run the Hauppauge irremote.exe? The only other time I've heard this, was because the user was running Girder to talk directly to Hauppauge remote. If you're in the same boat, one of the other users (msm) has made available a girder definition file ( http://www.gbpvr.com/downloads.htm ) which can be used to control GB-PVR.

pthielen
2004-02-11, 02:47 AM
Thanks for the quick reply.

No worry about the ffw/rrw, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't something that I was screwing up or something particular to my install.

In regard to the remote software, in the past I have only used wintvcap and do not use wintv so I have no need for the remote so I didn't want to run an extra program in the background. Now that I am looking at the running processes, I only see "IR.EXE" when I am running the Hauppuage remote software. Are we talking about two different things or maybe I am running an old version? Anyway, I have a 250 and didn't realize the feature was geared more to people using the TV-out on the 350. I don't use girder either but thanks for the information. I don't know how the feature is supposed to work, but it might be nice to still be able to control GB-PVR if the focus happens to shift to another application even when using a 250 with the display on the computer monitor.

Again, great application and thanks for all the hard work you must have put into it.

P.S. One more question. I have a hardware and software firewall. From the software firewall, I have noticed that GB-PVR wants to make an outgoing connection and also to act as a server. I don't quite understand the purpose of these connections. I'm just curious.

-PeteT

sub
2004-02-11, 03:19 AM
Yes, I meant IR.EXE. I'm at work, so couldn't check the name. I'll add an option to enable the Hauppauge direct remote support in the next release.

The GBPVR Recording Service listens as a server, and the GB-PVR Client/GUI connects to it using TCP/IP to schedule recording etc. Also, when running GB-PVR as an MVP server, it listens on a UDP port and a couple of TCP ports. Other than this there is no network communication.