PDA

View Full Version : This reminds me of Geoworks.

Tulex
2005-03-31, 05:59 PM
Anyone out there remember an os called Geos? VERY strong app that ran on dos, but worked like windows. What it came with was VERY strong, but was very limited due to lack of outside support, just couldn't compete with windows, but had a dedicated forum and dedicated user/programmers that came up with apps and ways to add to the main program. They offered a SDK, but was way too advanced for the average user like me. Geos eventually went other directions, left the desktop unsupported, and sold that to newdeal, and that even died I think. This seems kind of like Geos, in that it is up against all the prepackaged apps that come with hardware, and some well know established names, yet is stronger at the core. It would be very cool if someone could create a kind of SDK for GB that would make it possible to give this the outside support it deserves. I know we can all go learn programming, but if there was a template like program, that would make it possible for anyone that wanted to play with it.

sub
2005-03-31, 06:09 PM
It would be very cool if someone could create a kind of SDK for GB that would make it possible to give this the outside support it deserves.
What do you think all the developers are writing their plugins with? An SDK loosely exists, and its a set of API and sample plugins - comics, DVD Ripper etc were developed as these samples.

or is this not what you're talking about?

Tulex
2005-03-31, 06:17 PM
Well, I think the key word in your reply is developers. I'm assuming one has to have a knowledge of progamming to use the API. I'm thinking more of an app for users to make plugins that is template based, or at least a template based skin app. As I know little about programming, I probably don't know how difficult that would be. But, a lot of programs use templates to get people started.

mikerm19
2005-03-31, 06:28 PM
I used to have GEOS for my Commodore 64.

sub
2005-03-31, 06:31 PM
No, sorry I dont think this is going to happen. If you want to produce plugins you'll need to be a developer. I realise the current approach wont meet everyone's needs, but there are certainly plenty of people out there that have the skills to produce great work using the existing approach. Just look at the plugins produced by jrock, reven, etc.

Sorry, but I just think making a plugin framework targeted at non-developers would just be too much work for very little benefit. This doesnt represent any impediment to the future of the project as there are countless thousands of .net programmers out there.

Tulex
2005-03-31, 06:55 PM
Understood. Guess it's time to learn .net

Spartan
2005-04-01, 01:28 AM
I used to have GEOS for my Commodore 64.

Same here! :D

http://toastytech.com/guis/thumbgeos.gif

Pioneer4x4
2005-04-01, 01:38 AM
I have a manual, and one disk for it somewhere. I found it when I found the Commodore SX-64 I picked up at a 'thrift shop'.

jasonf
2005-04-01, 08:39 PM
I, too, was a veteran of both the Commie version of GEOS (all that goodness running on a 1MHz proc with 64K of RAM!) and also the PC GeoWorks. Many fond memories, and GeoWorks was actually a far better product (IMHO) than Windows 3.1.