PDA

View Full Version : Network Recorder Experience

mikeh49
2011-08-30, 05:39 PM
I've been testing mvallevand's new Network Recorder quite successfully using firewire from my Motorola cable box prior to it being released into the "wild". Now that it's out (in the wiki under plug-ins) and I've installed the production version, here's a report.

Martin helped me clear out some debris from the previous test version. Also, he provided an updated version of Network Recorder that requires a slight work around to install and configure. Here are his instructions:

Stop the NPVR recording service
Delete npvr.db3 to start with a clean database
Start NPVR and add and configure Network Recorder
Start the recording service

This worked OK for me as I was setting up a new NPVR install; if you don't want to delete your database, submit a post for advice.

I use Schedules Direct and it imported my lineup with no problems (I only have the channels of interest enabled in the SD lineup, a total of 27). I didn't even have to map the channels as I kept the same channel numbers as the cable box.

For firewire, one uses SageGraphRecorder (SGR) to interface between the firewire drivers and the Network Recorder plug-in. The firewire drivers are from TimMMoore and are quite old, but work fine in Win7 as long as it is 32 bit; there are no 64 bit firewire drivers. Also, the Win7 firewire driver has to be rolled back to the legacy version in Device Manager before installing the timmmoore drivers. You can google on exdeus to get an updated installer of the drivers and good instructions, or just go to this link: http://home.comcast.net/~exdeus/stbfirewire/

You also need to create a graph using Graphedit on your machine for SGR to use. It needs only two filters: the firewire tuner and the NPVR file writer.

The firewire drivers package also includes a firewire channel changer that works great, at least for me. However, you need to call it from SGR using a batch file as it requires more arguments than SGR wants to provide. My install pops up the command window for a few seconds when it runs, but there are ways to hide it, I understand.

So, how does it work? In a word, great! Solid recordings and live TV. In particular, live TV is very good with no audio-video sync or choppy issues for me. It pauses and rewinds just fine. This is probably due to Sub's work on the NPVR file writer and TS reader.

This removes the final holdup for me moving to NPVR, so I'm happy. Note that my cableco has all the channels of interest in the clear, no 5C or copy protections. YMMV.

Thanks Martin for the good work on this.

mvallevand
2011-08-30, 09:19 PM
Thanks mikeh49 for the update, I pretty much just joined the dots of some proven technology, NPVR is still doing the heavy lifting, with DirectShow (just like in NPVR) doing it's piece. It's good that you use the NPVR TS Writer since you will get the indexed TS files which add to the NPVR experience. Also if you want to use the NPVR rolling file (which uses less disk space for LiveTV you might want this setting.

<RollingFile>true</RollingFile>

Martin

JP23
2011-08-31, 12:39 PM
A couple of questions regarding this plugin...

Am I right in thinking that this makes it possible to share tuners between two NPVR machines?
If I scheduled a recording on PC A using a tuner from PC B, would this then be added to the database of just PC A, or of both?

Secondly, is it possible that this plugin could ptoentially allow the use of a Dreambox as a network tuner?
I have a DM800 which is capable of streaming across the LAN. It's fully network-controllable and outputs .ts streams, which I can play in VLC and on my egreat m34a. Each channel can be launched with an http link which starts the stream. Being able to use this in NPVR would be fantastic.

mvallevand
2011-08-31, 03:44 PM
Am I right in thinking that this makes it possible to share tuners between two NPVR machines?
If I scheduled a recording on PC A using a tuner from PC B, would this then be added to the database of just PC A, or of both?

You could share tuners, the link is the new streaming live tv url only database A is updated, to B it is just live tv and the tuner is in use.

Secondly, is it possible that this plugin could ptoentially allow the use of a Dreambox as a network tuner?
I have a DM800 which is capable of streaming across the LAN. It's fully network-controllable and outputs .ts streams, which I can play in VLC and on my egreat m34a. Each channel can be launched with an http link which starts the stream. Being able to use this in NPVR would be fantastic.

Yes this should be possible, and very easy to implement. Oen a new thread and provide more information on the URL

Martin

epelic
2012-09-25, 02:49 AM
I've been testing mvallevand's new Network Recorder quite successfully using firewire from my Motorola cable box prior to it being released into the "wild". Now that it's out (in the wiki under plug-ins) and I've installed the production version, here's a report.

Martin helped me clear out some debris from the previous test version. Also, he provided an updated version of Network Recorder that requires a slight work around to install and configure. Here are his instructions:

Stop the NPVR recording service
Delete npvr.db3 to start with a clean database
Start NPVR and add and configure Network Recorder
Start the recording service

This worked OK for me as I was setting up a new NPVR install; if you don't want to delete your database, submit a post for advice.

I use Schedules Direct and it imported my lineup with no problems (I only have the channels of interest enabled in the SD lineup, a total of 27). I didn't even have to map the channels as I kept the same channel numbers as the cable box.

For firewire, one uses SageGraphRecorder (SGR) to interface between the firewire drivers and the Network Recorder plug-in. The firewire drivers are from TimMMoore and are quite old, but work fine in Win7 as long as it is 32 bit; there are no 64 bit firewire drivers. Also, the Win7 firewire driver has to be rolled back to the legacy version in Device Manager before installing the timmmoore drivers. You can google on exdeus to get an updated installer of the drivers and good instructions, or just go to this link: http://home.comcast.net/~exdeus/stbfirewire/

You also need to create a graph using Graphedit on your machine for SGR to use. It needs only two filters: the firewire tuner and the NPVR file writer.

The firewire drivers package also includes a firewire channel changer that works great, at least for me. However, you need to call it from SGR using a batch file as it requires more arguments than SGR wants to provide. My install pops up the command window for a few seconds when it runs, but there are ways to hide it, I understand.

So, how does it work? In a word, great! Solid recordings and live TV. In particular, live TV is very good with no audio-video sync or choppy issues for me. It pauses and rewinds just fine. This is probably due to Sub's work on the NPVR file writer and TS reader.

This removes the final holdup for me moving to NPVR, so I'm happy. Note that my cableco has all the channels of interest in the clear, no 5C or copy protections. YMMV.

Thanks Martin for the good work on this.

I have attempted to implement this set of steps ... thank you for the valuable information. However, I am having one problem. The problem is with the execution of the batch file to change the channels. It is not working for me. I was unable to locate a copy of "channel.exe" and instead have been using "SageChanger" which works in a similar manner. The batch file I have created works well when executed as a batch file at the MS-DOS prompt (as a test). I have indicated this batch file in the SGR configuration file. The file seems to execute (no error in the SGR debug window), but it does not change the channel on the STB.

Can you please provide the channel.exe and batch file you are using?

Thanks.

mvallevand
2012-09-25, 11:35 AM
If you are using NetworkRecorder with SageRecorder to perform firewire tuning on 32bit Windows you want the Timmmoore drivers http://home.comcast.net/~timmmoore/wsb/html/view.cgi-showresources.html-TopRes-STB-20Firewire.html and channel.exe What does you SGraphRecorder.ini file look like?

Martin

epelic
2012-09-25, 10:58 PM
If you are using NetworkRecorder with SageRecorder to perform firewire tuning on 32bit Windows you want the Timmmoore drivers http://home.comcast.net/~timmmoore/wsb/html/view.cgi-showresources.html-TopRes-STB-20Firewire.html and channel.exe What does you SGraphRecorder.ini file look like?

Martin

Martin,

Thanks for the quick response. My request is for the "channel.exe" program file and the batch (.bat) file referenced that executes the "channel.exe" program. I am requesting these in an attempt to implement the exact elements described by Mike above.

Since I posted this request I have thought about the problem I am experiencing a bit more. I am now beginning to believe the problem is that SGraphRecorder (SGR) is not actually executing the program/batch file that I have specified with the ExeTunerPath. Although the logging within the SGR debug window indicates the batch file that I created is being executed ("Running: C:\Program Files\Sage\ChangeChannel.bat 108"), there is no MS-DOS window which appears and the task manager does not indicate a process is running. And, of course, the channel does not change. I have run the batch file manually many times successfully within a MS-DOS window and it worked each time in chaning the STB channel. So I am confident the batch file is correct.

I researched this a good deal (forums, etc.) and there were several steps I did NOT take because I concluded (perhaps in error) they did not apply. In summary:

I did not copy any dll files as part of the installation of Graph Edit.
I did not "register" anything (e.g. Regedit, etc.).
I did not apply any Network Recorder patches.

Again, these may the cause of the issue but I didn't think the steps applied because the senarios described were different. I am just calling them out to provide complete information.

Here is the section of the SGR configuration file:

[ExeTuner]
UseExeTuner=1
ExeTunerPath=C:\Program Files\Sage\ChangeChannel.bat

The ChangeChannel.bat file is a batch file with the following statement:

"C:\Program Files\Sage\SageChanger" -n 92515dfeff102200 -p -c 00%1 -f 6 -v

Just to be clear, I can capture video from the STB using the NextPVR UI successfully (i.e. the Graph is functional), so my only issue is the inability to change the channel on the STB.

Your insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

mvallevand
2012-09-25, 11:10 PM
Do you have a space after the ".bat" in the ini file? Also if you are running win7 or vista make sure that uac didn't impact you install of the batch file

Martin

mikeh49
2012-09-25, 11:19 PM
I'll try to get my batch file later today. IIRC, it looks just like yours, but I'm using the channel.exe that comes with the timmmoore firewire drivers, or with the exdeus installer. But, if yours runs from a command window, it seems like it should run from SGR. Do the quotes in the command line need to be around the parameters? I can never remember exactly how to place the quotes.

mvallevand
2012-09-25, 11:36 PM
I've run channel.exe from both the batch file and direct and my batch file has quotes which is pretty standard with lfn's but the ini file doesn't need them.

Martin

epelic
2012-09-25, 11:37 PM
Do you have a space after the ".bat" in the ini file? Also if you are running win7 or vista make sure that uac didn't impact you install of the batch file

Martin

There is no space after the ".bat" in the ini file. Based upon your question I wasn't sure if there was supposed to be, or not so I tryed both ... which made no difference.

I am running Windows XP SP3. Sorry I didn't mention that earlier.

Thanks.

mvallevand
2012-09-26, 12:16 AM
SageChanger looks cool, I'm going to give it a try. I'm lucky my 4250hd doesn't turn off except after a power outage, but its a good safety. Have you tried to telnet to sgr to test it?

Martin

epelic
2012-09-26, 12:48 AM
SageChanger looks cool, I'm going to give it a try. I'm lucky my 4250hd doesn't turn off except after a power outage, but its a good safety. Have you tried to telnet to sgr to test it?

Martin

I am not sure how to do this. I assume I would issue the MS-DOS command "telnet 6969" ... 6969 being the SGR port number, but then what?

mvallevand
2012-09-26, 01:02 AM
I tried SageChannel and it worked ok for me. Have you tried adding .exe the the file in the ini file just in case something else is being opened

for telnet it is

telnet ip 6969
then

SWITCH #

to see if tuning to channel # is working

Martin

epelic
2012-09-26, 01:17 AM
I tried SageChannel and it worked ok for me. Have you tried adding .exe the the file in the ini file just in case something else is being opened

for telnet it is

telnet ip 6969
then

SWITCH #

to see if tuning to channel # is working

Martin

I tried adding the ".exe". No effect.

Telnet command response:

SWITCH 111 8:58:18 PM
Running: C:\Program Files\Sage\ChangeChannel.bat 111

so it does launch the program with the channel number ... 111 in this case. But it does not change the channel.

I tried a couple of other things ... most importantly, I put a "pause" in the batch file. I could then tell that the batch file is in fact being executed, because a very quick MS-DOS window appears ... much to quick to read, since it just flashes. Then I tried routing the output to an output text file. Executing the batch file manually does route the output info, but no output from executing the batch file through SGR.

Quite a mystery to me as to what is going (or not going) on.

mvallevand
2012-09-26, 01:28 AM
If you put a pause in it should wait for the any key. It always flashes a cmd window for me that's not the pause

Martin

epelic
2012-09-26, 01:36 AM
If you put a pause in it should wait for the any key. It always flashes a cmd window for me that's not the pause

Martin

Interesting. Although I added a "pause", it did not actually pause. Maybe for some reason SageChannel fails when executed from SGR ... memory, etc.? I don't know. I have to give it up for tonight, now. Tomorrow I can try channel.exe and the associated batch file, once Mike provides it. I don't see how that will change anything to be honest, but since I can't seem to understand what is happening with SageChannel ... maybe it will make a difference.

Martin ... thanks so much for the help!

mvallevand
2012-09-26, 01:50 AM
As I wrote I called sagechannel.exe from sgr via a batch file with no issue

Good luck, I'm happy to help.

Martin

mikeh49
2012-09-26, 11:32 PM
Here is the text from my channel changer batch file:

echo off
echo %date% %time% %1 >> channel.log
"C:\Program Files\Timmmoore\MCE 2005 STB Controller\channelw.exe" -n 2e3ea1feff711300 %1

The filename is channel.bat and it logs each channel change to channel.log. I had this logging for initial setup, and never removed it.

SGraphRecorer ini is attached. Extension changed to txt for forum rules.

channelw.exe is the non-interactive version of timmmoore's firewire channel changer. I use this with a Motorola STB.

epelic
2012-09-27, 01:35 AM
Here is the text from my channel changer batch file:

echo off
echo %date% %time% %1 >> channel.log
"C:\Program Files\Timmmoore\MCE 2005 STB Controller\channelw.exe" -n 2e3ea1feff711300 %1

The filename is channel.bat and it logs each channel change to channel.log. I had this logging for initial setup, and never removed it.

SGraphRecorer ini is attached. Extension changed to txt for forum rules.

channelw.exe is the non-interactive version of timmmoore's firewire channel changer. I use this with a Motorola STB.

Thanks, Mike. I have now concluded that there is something with my system (configuration, etc.) that is preventing SGR from executing a program/batch file. I don't know what it is, but I have tried a vast number of things. Basically, Windows (XP) is terminating the MS-DOS (comand) from executing a program. I changed the batch file to only contain "pause" and the invoked session still fails. Unless I can figure out the cause, I will be unable to automate the channel change ... which for me would really diminish the value of NextPVR, since I can manually record without NextPVR.

I don't know how long or if I can figure this out. But ... thanks for your help.

epelic
2012-09-28, 02:10 AM
Martin, Mike:

I have identifed and solved the problem. I will spare you the very long story. The problem is that the external tuner path name had a space in it:

ExeTunerPath=C:\Program Files\SageChanger\ChangeChannel.bat

The space was between "Program" and "Files". It made no difference if the path was specified with quotes (") around it in the SGR ini file. I am guessing that the SGR issues a MS-DOS command statement which chokes when it attempts to execute "C:\Program" (because it stops at the space and treats the rest of the command line as parameters). Anyway, I created another directory "C:\Program_Files", copyed the batch file to it, and changed the path in the ini file and it works! So the very important piece of documentation is that ... the ExeTunerPath must NOT have any spaces in it ... good to know!

I want to thank you both again for your help. It was by reviewing Mikes ini file (segment) provided I reached this realization.

Now I have to address the issue that if the channel number is less than 100, the channel is not changed by SageChanger. Unlike Channel.exe or Channelw.exe it does not allow setting a time delay. But this problem seem much easier to fix.

mikeh49
2012-09-28, 02:21 AM
Glad you figured it out. Long names in batch files have tripped me up too many times. I try to use only the 8.3 short name format although my channel.bat does not adhere to that. It must have worked the first time. :)

Put a comment in your ini file to remind you that no spaces are allowed.

I'm surprised that SageChanger does not handle channel numbers less than 100. Have you tried the "force single digits" setting? You might see if the author is still around the Sage forum. He seemed pretty responsive when the program was first released.

Good luck.

epelic
2012-09-29, 08:08 PM
I did some experimenting and discovered that the "-f 7" parameter works to change the channel (1 to 3 digits). I was using the "-f 5" because the documentation indicated that was the setting I should use for my STB. So, with the "-f 7" setting I am in business!

Karyudo
2013-01-16, 05:42 AM
I'm trying to get NetworkRecorder going. I've installed version 0 from the wiki page, and followed the instructions. I don't see anything new in the Settings. What am I doing wrong?

mvallevand
2013-01-16, 05:46 AM
The wiki is not clear that the NetworkRecord.dll needs to go in Plugins\NetworkRecorder folder with the xml. Stop the Recording Service before putting it in there though.

martin

Karyudo
2013-01-16, 05:51 AM
Thanks for the amazingly quick reply! Turns out that's not the problem, though: it's that I duplicated almost the whole .xml file, instead of just the <NetworkRecorder> block. I'm now seeing two NetworkRecorder devices. Haven't set them up yet, but it's a step in the right direction....

mvallevand
2013-01-16, 05:57 AM
Are you creating two or more graphs?

Martin

Karyudo
2013-01-16, 06:01 AM
Uhh... I don't know! Am I?

In the NetworkRecorder.xml file, there are two devices, and one's been labelled '25' and instance '1', and the other '26' and instance '2'. No sign of any place to put the unique IDs from SGraphRecorder or anything.

Not sure what I'm doing!

mvallevand
2013-01-16, 11:40 AM
NetworkRecorder is network driven so you talk to the various interfaces using http. SGraphRecorder listens on a socket and acts like a server http://www.nolberger.se/Sage/GraphRecorder/ . The NetworkRecorder.xml file points to the server so you need to configure the IP (which if it is the same machine is 127.0.0.1) and the port defaults to 6969. These are the unique ids. If you had used the default on the wiki it would communicate properly with SGraphRecorder defaults. Some of the examples out there are for the SageDCT process that can have 3 or 4 tuners running where each CableCard tuner uses its own port.

What you do at this point is at the channels that you want to use. The protocol defines how NetworkRecorder passes channel information to the server. Assuming you are using SchedulesDirect just select SD as the channel source and tick the channels you want. You don't have to do them all at once. Once the channels are added to the tuner, follow the normal NextPVR configuration of mapping the channels to the EPG data. If you modify the channel list you will need to restart the service for it to take effect. If you want to get guide data you need to run Update EPG in NextPVR.

Martin

Karyudo
2013-01-18, 05:08 AM
I'm now able to get video through Network Recorder, and channel changes through FireWire. Yay, me. However, I'm now pretty hopelessly tangled up in my channel lineups, devices, guide info, and recording priorities. I'll sort that out this weekend.

Reddwarf
2013-02-20, 09:49 PM
Martin, I'm struggling to get NetworkRecorder installed on my main htpc, since two tuners died I thought I'd use it as an intermidiate solution while I order new ones. I'v copied the files to the folder under Plugins, when I start NextPVR it asks me to add missing device a couple of times, when I go into settings I can see the NetworkRecorder but if I try to set it up I get the familiar "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" message. Next time I go into settings->devices there are two NetworkRecorders, one present and one not. What am I doing wrong? I'm sure it is a simple mistake, but I cannot figure it out...

mvallevand
2013-02-20, 10:02 PM
You must not have followed the steps on the wiki for the correct process to stop the recording service. Revert to the backup of npvr.db3 that you made, email me the NetworkRecorder.xml and delete the folder from Plugins.

Martin

Reddwarf
2013-02-20, 10:21 PM
So I delete the folder from plugins, restart the recording service, then stop it, copy the folder back to plugins and start NextPVR? Hope it's ok to just post the .xml here?

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<Settings>
<PluginSettings>
<NetworkRecorder id="35" instance="1">
<FriendlyName>Graph Recorder</FriendlyName>
<host>192.168.1.2</host>
<port>8866</port>
<delay>4000</delay>
<RemoteNPVR>true</RemoteNPVR>
<RollingFile>true</RollingFile>
<h264Mode>2</h264Mode>
</NetworkRecorder>
</PluginSettings>
</Settings>

Another question, can I have two instances of the recorder? The remote computer (which is on the local network) has two capture sources.

mvallevand
2013-02-20, 10:36 PM
Stop the recording service, copy the good db3 file and remove id="35" instance="1" from the xml file and reset the service. The plugin for the http interface doesn't talk to the tuner it will ask for whatever channels you add.

Martin

Reddwarf
2013-02-20, 11:38 PM
Thanks a lot! What about multidec and NetworkRecorder? Or can I add another instance of it?

mvallevand
2013-02-20, 11:57 PM
I don't support mult-rec, but you can a second duplicate instance and if the host supports it, it should in theory work. If you copy the block don't copy the arguments that you just removed.

Martin

Reddwarf
2013-02-23, 10:30 AM
Having two instances of the graph recorder does not work. If I have a recording going on the first and then start a recording or live session on the second, the first gets interrupted but the first recorder beleives that it is still recording. My guess is that the recorders don't identify themself unique to the remote npvr computer.

Edit: It seem as the remote treats the two recorders as one client, and when the second recording starts it believes that the client is just changing channel.

mvallevand
2013-02-23, 06:05 PM
Yes, you are right, if http streaming support multi-rec I'd need to add a client id.

Martin

Reddwarf
2013-02-23, 07:02 PM
Yes, you are right, if http streaming support multi-rec I'd need to add a client id.

MartinAny chance you'll give it a try in the first half of the nearest future? :)

mvallevand
2013-02-23, 09:05 PM
Do a test and confirm that the http interface uses multi-rec and I'll add it.

Martin

Reddwarf
2013-02-23, 09:10 PM
Do a test and confirm that the http interface uses multi-rec and I'll add it.

MartinHow should I do the test? I seem to remember a post saying it works from VLC if you add a client id, so should work from the network recorder too?

mvallevand
2013-02-23, 11:00 PM
Open the following in two instances of http video player on a multirec channel ##

http:/ip:8866/live?channel=##&client=1
http:/ip:8866/live?channel=##&client=2

Previous discussion was having multiple clients working with live tv in vlc, but I don't know if multirec is also working

Martin

Reddwarf
2013-02-23, 11:50 PM
Open the following in two instances of http video player on a multirec channel ##

http:/ip:8866/live?channel=##&client=1
http:/ip:8866/live?channel=##&client=2

Previous discussion was having multiple clients working with live tv in vlc, but I don't know if multirec is also working

MartinI don't know exactly how to activate http video player, but I asked IE to download two streams from channels 60 and 61 (as in your example) and I could see it downloading in both windows, and Ntray's status also told me that both tuners on that computer was active running live tv from the respective channels. So it appears to work.

mvallevand
2013-02-23, 11:53 PM
But you wanted to test multi-rec and not multiple tuners right? Sorry I just reread yourfirst post it was multidec.

Martin

Reddwarf
2013-02-24, 12:10 AM
But you wanted to test multi-rec and not multiple tuners right? Sorry I just reread yourfirst post it was multidec.

MartinI might have said multirec, but my actual goal was to utilize both tuners on the remote npvr computer since I have only one dvb-c and one dvb-t tuner left on my main htpc, the other two dvb-c tuners both died during a couple of days last week. However I did a new test selecting two channels on the same frequency and it is now using multirec :)

mvallevand
2013-02-24, 12:52 AM
Ok thanks for checking, I'll post an update when I remove some experimental stuff in the next few days.

Martin

Reddwarf
2013-02-24, 01:00 AM
Ok thanks for checking, I'll post an update when I remove some experimental stuff in the next few days.

MartinThanks, looking forward to that :)

mvallevand
2013-02-24, 03:57 AM
Give this a trial and let me know if it helps.

Martin

Reddwarf
2013-02-24, 02:36 PM
Give this a trial and let me know if it helps.

MartinInstalled the new version and added another instance of the NetworkRecorder. Both instances actually records during testing but only for about one half hour, then Nrecord crashes. No error message in the log but I noticed a lot of debug messages from NR. I then started Nrecord from a command prompt and let it run until next crash. Windows just says that Nrecord has stopped working and will be closed. Attached is the last I was able to salvage from the console output and Nrecord.log.

mvallevand
2013-02-24, 02:49 PM
Ok some of the experimental debug message stuff was still there.

Martin

Reddwarf
2013-02-24, 02:59 PM
Ok some of the experimental debug message stuff was still there.

MartinCould that be the cause of the crash?

mvallevand
2013-02-24, 03:02 PM
Yes, as soon as the file transfer hits 2.2GB it would crash.

Martin

Reddwarf
2013-02-24, 03:04 PM
Yes, as soon as the file transfer hits 2.2GB it would crash.

MartinOk, I'll do more testing a bit later today.

Reddwarf
2013-02-24, 06:28 PM
I'v completed one recording of about an hour without problems, but I noticed that there is no Timing.info in that recording. Will there never be when recording from the NR or is something gone wrong?

mvallevand
2013-02-24, 07:06 PM
I'v completed one recording of about an hour without problems, but I noticed that there is no Timing.info in that recording. Will there never be when recording from the NR or is something gone wrong?

Ok good the recording is simple saved as streamed by NextPVR. If you need it for quality skipping, I wrote a standalone utility called writeTime that can generate Timing.Info in post processing. The mode that you are using only has limited practical use and that will probably be sufficient.

Martin

Reddwarf
2013-02-24, 07:14 PM
Ok good the recording is simple saved as streamed by NextPVR. If you need it for quality skipping, I wrote a standalone utility called writeTime that can generate Timing.Info in post processing. The mode that you are using only has limited practical use and that will probably be sufficient.

MartinYeah I'v already used WriteTime to generate timing.info to some recordings that would not skip (got exception "attempt to divide by zero") so I can put some lines in PostProcessing that check the recorder id (it's the 4th parameter to PostProcessing right?) and if it is a network recorder it runs writeTime.

Reddwarf
2013-02-25, 06:12 PM
Two NetworkRecorders seems to be working excellent now, thank you very much! Something that perhaps should be mentioned on the wiki, when streaming HD over a network one should be aware of the bandwith and make sure it is enough. With a gigabit network it is barely enough for two HD channels, and if there is other traffic the transfer from the remote npvr to the host can be held up, so to ensure that a recording is not cut off before all data is actually streamed I had to set the post padding to around 20 minutes.

mvallevand
2013-02-25, 09:49 PM
Can you watch live tv? Even in 100Mb you should be able to record 4 or more HD broadcast quality streams. There might be a small problem if I don't flush to socket when NextPVR tells me to stop recording, but I can't imagine it would cache 20 min.

Martin

Reddwarf
2013-02-25, 11:10 PM
Live tv is a bit shaky, sometimes it works ok, but most of the time I get audio but no video, don't know why. I can watch in-progress recordings with no problems. I know, 100Mb should be enough in theory, but it turns out that the speed in real world is far less, maybe I have something in my network that causes a lot of retransmission.

mvallevand
2013-02-25, 11:17 PM
If you need live tv try increasing the delay in seconds (1000ms) until it improves. Sounds like you need a little bit more buffering. Restart the recording service for the change to take effect.

Martin

Reddwarf
2013-02-25, 11:22 PM
If you need live tv try increasing the delay in seconds (1000ms) until it improves. Sounds like you need a little bit more buffering. Restart the recording service for the change to take effect.

MartinI have the delay set to 10000. Correction: Live tv never works on the server, I get half a second video and the screen turns black, but on my laptop client it works every time, that is from the network recorders. The laptop is running the same OS and using the same decoders as the server. The server has all the latest patches, the client does not.

mvallevand
2013-02-25, 11:46 PM
The client doesn't really know the server is capturing using network recorder, any difference would be decoders afaik.

Martin

Reddwarf
2013-02-25, 11:52 PM
The client doesn't really know the server is capturing using network recorder, any difference would be decoders afaik.

MartinIt is puzzeling, since they are using exactly the same decoders. I'll try some other decoders on the server tomorrow.

Reddwarf
2013-02-27, 06:25 AM
Well I'm no closer as to why live tv works on the client but not on the server with network recorder. But I'v found that is is absolutely vital to use WriteTime to generate timing.info. Without it jumping is random at best, forward skips goes both backwards and forward in random sized skips. With timing info skipping and comskip jumps works normal. IMHO worth mentioning on the wiki too.

Reddwarf
2013-03-02, 06:34 PM
Something strange has occured, after updating all systems to post-R2 the network recorders won't record two different channels from the remote anymore. Here's the logs from the remote npvr machine. It seems like Nrecord thinks the requested channels are on the same frequency even they are not. Any ideas?

mvallevand
2013-03-02, 06:44 PM
It looks like a server issue not related to network recorder.

2013-03-02 20:29:34.716 [DEBUG][6] Calling LockChannel()
2013-03-02 20:29:34.716 [DEBUG][6] locked=0, present=0, strength=0, quality=0 (took 0ms to check)
2013-03-02 20:29:34.716 [DEBUG][6] DigitalRecorderDVBC::Tune() tuning done
2013-03-02 20:29:34.739 [DEBUG][6] File size is 0

Martin

Reddwarf
2013-03-02, 06:48 PM
A job for Sub, in other words? Btw, don't mind the locked=0 etc, the Cinergy card has never given out the correct status.

mvallevand
2013-03-02, 08:04 PM
I am not sure then, I don't see the client id in the URLin web.log which could mean you have the wrong plugin, but that might just be how it is logged too.

Martin

Reddwarf
2013-03-02, 08:23 PM
I am not sure then, I don't see the client id in the URLin web.log which could mean you have the wrong plugin, but that might just be how it is logged too.

MartinThe date of NetworkRecorder.dll is 24.02.2013 so should be the latest version. Perhaps Sub could add some more logging to find out what's going wrong. I could test with two ordinary clients also once tonight's recordings are finished, I had to reconfigure in a hurry to rescue tonight's scheduled recordings.

Reddwarf
2013-03-03, 08:33 AM
Just did a test with live tv using NR, here's a snippet from web.log:

2013-03-03 10:25:08.011 [DEBUG][17] About to delete temp file: D:\NPVR\live-NRK1Østnytt-6248-11.ts
2013-03-03 10:25:08.012 [DEBUG][17] Cleaning up: D:\NPVR\live-NRK1Østnytt-6248-11.ts
2013-03-03 10:28:33.308 [DEBUG][17] Got Web Request (192.168.1.5): /live channel=5
2013-03-03 10:28:33.308 [DEBUG][17] StreamNative@1
2013-03-03 10:28:33.308 [DEBUG][17] StreamNative@2
2013-03-03 10:28:33.308 [DEBUG][17] StreamNative@3
2013-03-03 10:28:33.308 [DEBUG][17] StreamNative@4
2013-03-03 10:28:33.308 [DEBUG][17] StreamNative@5
2013-03-03 10:28:33.326 [DEBUG][17] StreamNative@6
2013-03-03 10:28:33.326 [DEBUG][17] StreamNative@7
2013-03-03 10:28:33.326 [DEBUG][17] StreamNative@8
2013-03-03 10:28:36.112 [DEBUG][17] StartStream(7411:TV 2 (N), LIVE&D:\NPVR\live-TV2(N)-6248-12.ts) allocated handle: 1703952
2013-03-03 10:28:36.112 [DEBUG][17] Handle: 1A0010
2013-03-03 10:28:36.113 [DEBUG][17] StreamNative@9 (storing stream handle: 1703952)
2013-03-03 10:28:36.113 [DEBUG][17] clientHandle[default] = 1703952 *
2013-03-03 10:28:36.313 [DEBUG][17] StreamNative@10
2013-03-03 10:28:36.313 [DEBUG][17] RollingFile(D:\NPVR\live-TV2(N)-6248-12.ts)..
2013-03-03 10:28:36.313 [DEBUG][17] SharedMemoryHelper::Open()
2013-03-03 10:28:36.313 [DEBUG][17] Got file mapping
2013-03-03 10:28:36.313 [DEBUG][17] got shared memory helper
2013-03-03 10:28:36.715 [DEBUG][17] <Files>
<Length>83860</Length>
<File offset="0">D:\NPVR\live-TV2(N)-6248-12.ts</File>
<Duration>499</Duration>
<Complete>0</Complete>
</Files>

2013-03-03 10:28:36.715 [DEBUG][17] about to read 50000 from location 0 (current length = 83848)
2013-03-03 10:28:36.715 [DEBUG][17] About to send 50000 bytes
2013-03-03 10:28:36.715 [DEBUG][17] Sent 50000 bytes

Should there not be a client id listed? If I should test with VLC, would the correct syntax be:
http://Sirius:8866/live?channel=86&clientid=12

mvallevand
2013-03-03, 02:32 PM
Ok I seenow that I didn't append the client to live tv. Try this

Martin

Reddwarf
2013-03-03, 04:00 PM
Ok I seenow that I didn't append the client to live tv. Try this

MartinGreat! Now I can see it uses both devices on the remote npvr computer :)

Reddwarf
2013-03-03, 04:05 PM
BTW: I found out why live tv was not working on the main htpc, it was set to "use alternate OSD when missing video", for some reason it worked with the native capturedevices but not with the network recorders.

Edit: And the WAF has risen from 0.4 to 0.998 :D

mvallevand
2013-03-03, 11:30 PM
Good to hear. So are you using this to link one NextPVR server with another because you are out of pci slots?

Marti

Reddwarf
2013-03-04, 09:31 AM
Good to hear. So are you using this to link one NextPVR server with another because you are out of pci slots?

MartiPartly, must mostly because two of my dvb-c usb tuners died (see my thread in Hardware forum) and I haven't got the funds to buy new ones yet.

mvallevand
2013-03-04, 04:41 PM
That's the part I don't get, using Network Recorder doesn't give you any more devices.. To me it makes more sense to replace the failed devices with the working devices from the other server.

Martin.

Reddwarf
2013-03-04, 04:54 PM
That's the part I don't get, using Network Recorder doesn't give you any more devices.. To me it makes more sense to replace the failed devices with the working devices from the other server.

Martin.I know, but the main htpc is out of pci slots and the devices in the kitchen computer are both pci. So with the current NR I can use them without having to maintain schedule on two different computers. The livingroom computer has one free PCIe slot and I'm considering buying a twin tuner PCIe capturecard. I really appreciate your effort Martin, thanks a lot again.