PDA

View Full Version : Hauppauge MVP-HD

SFX Group
2011-01-25, 01:52 AM
Hi

Has anyone used the Hauppauge MVP-HD unit with NPVR?

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_mediamvp-hd.html

http://hauppauge.lightpath.net/manuals/man-mediamvp-hd.pdf

mvallevand
2011-01-25, 02:17 AM
Unless sub know's something, not too much has changed since we danced around the extender topic http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.php?45340-Idiot-question-here-(MVP-amp-NMT-tab) except mvpmcx2 continues to improve and the market is now saturated with other players that will play content without having the interface. Extenders need firmware updates and frankly Hauppauge is not doing a good job with the MediaMVP HD

Martin

SFX Group
2011-01-25, 02:22 AM
:(

Pilot
2011-02-04, 05:24 PM
I was looking at this, too, as the Hauppauge MVP-HD is only $79 now.

I don't actively use GBPVR anymore (had to...sigh....move on to the DirecTV DVR, and now have two of them -- man, do I miss GBPVR!), but I still like the familiar GBPVR (now NPVR) interface/GUI for serving downloaded movies and TV shows.

I'd hate to think of this as just one step closer to completely having GBPVR/NPVR out of my life! :(

mvallevand
2011-02-04, 05:55 PM
What is so wrong with the PopcornHour for you guys? Is it the $105 price or the fact that it is refurbished? I could understand if the MediaMVP-HD was a great player but it isn't, just like the MVP wasn't. I suspect it was GBPVR that made you like your MVP but you get that on the PopcornHour so I am baffled.

Martin

Pilot
2011-02-04, 09:33 PM
I can only speak for myself on this.

I vaguely remember reading some tidbits here or there in the GBPVR forums about "PopcornHour", but I don't think I ever really looked into it, probably because I never had a problem with the original MediaMVP.

I can imagine that at least some of my lack of interest had to be price -- if PopcornHour is currently selling refurbished models for $110 now, I can only imagine how much the new ones must've been back when the MVP was still in production. I likely searched for it, found the price, and went right back to the MVP. Part of that problem was that although I paid close to full MSRP for my first MVP, I only paid $39 for about a dozen more MVPs when RadioShack (apparently erroneously) put them at a closeout price back when Hauppauge released the wireless MVP. Hauppauge continued to produce the original wired MVP for quite a while after that, so I was able to resell most of the ones I bought for $39 as "sealed and new" on eBay for over double what I paid for them, which easily paid for the three MVPs that I kept (including the overpriced first one), as well as help pay for quite a few upgrades to my HTPC.

I actually used my original MVP right out of the box without GBPVR and was happy with that at the time. I found GBPVR by way of the Hauppauge support site, and then it snowballed into a full DVR system for me. I've since moved on to DirecTV and I'm using two of their HD-DVRs that I received for "free". After our local cable company went completely digital/HD, I just couldn't justify the hardware expense to upgrade GBPVR to being a HD-DVR, and having to put an HD receiver on each one of my three tuner cards wasn't exactly causing an increase in the WAF.

I'm still happy with my MVPs, and my two youngest kids still use them to watch SD content via GBPVR. For watching HD downloads, I use either the Playstation 3 or my Samsung DVD player which has a USB port on it and will play Divx. Copying things to a thumbdrive is getting a little old, and every once in a while the Playstation 3 networking hiccups and it can't see my PC so I'm stuck thumbdriving again. So, when I recently received an ad in my email listing the MVP-HD for $79, it seemed like a good deal to me.

I just Googled "PopcornHour" and they're at least 3x that price. $79 is borderline for whether or not I'm willing to just keep tolerating the thumbdrive method, but I'm not really interested in paying more than that, especially not for something refurbished.

Frankly, I'm a little surprised and disappointed that GBPVR/NPVR doesn't seem to support the MVP-HD when GBPVR and the original MVP made such a great marriage (at least for me). I think the fact that there's been a MVP section on the forum practically since the beginning pretty much says it all.

Again, just my opinion/experience. I don't mean to offend anyone.

mvallevand
2011-02-04, 10:02 PM
I can only speak for myself on this.

Thanks for taking the time to respond, I really appreciate it and I was never offended. It is really good feedback. I spend a lot of time, perhaps too much, working on the PCH client and it is important for me to know that the a $80 client, a $105 client or $220 client (my original new PCH w shipping) are too much for GBPVR users.

Martin

Sheik Yerbouti
2011-02-05, 06:39 AM
If the price of a popcorn hour is too much, you can always buy an egreat. I bought mine for a 100 Euro's. The only downside is the remote, but I'm using a Logitech Harmony.

Chris