PDA

View Full Version : What name do you prefer...

Pages : [1] 2

sub
2010-09-18, 06:40 PM
I think we're getting close to being able to remove that "Beta" status from NPVR, and at the same time I want to finalise the name the project will use going forward.

The options are nextpvr or g3pvr. What is your preference for the official name? I own both the nextpvr.com and g3pvr.com domain names.

"nextpvr" was originally a working name for the next pvr application I was creating, but its hard to change a name once you start using it.

"g3pvr" was a suggestion by bgowland a few months back which I really liked, since its similar to gbpvr, but also implies 3rd generation etc.

Fatman_do
2010-09-18, 08:16 PM
I think the nPVR considered Networked PVR by most techies, but branding can change that perception. I chose g3pvr for no other reason.

sub
2010-09-18, 08:25 PM
I chose g3pvr for no other reason.People are free to post other name suggestions if they want, but they'd have to be pretty popular to get chosen at this late stage.

McBainUK
2010-09-18, 08:32 PM
I think the nPVR considered Networked PVR by most techies, but branding can change that perception. I chose g3pvr for no other reason.
+1

sub
2010-09-18, 08:40 PM
It was going to offically be "nextpvr", not "npvr", since I didnt have npvr.com and the general term npvr has been used before. As "nextpvr", it probably would have continued to be abreviated to "npvr" to save on typing during forum posts though.

BigMoose
2010-09-18, 08:50 PM
I voted for g3pvr as if you call it "nextpvr" whatever do you call the "next" one?! (in as many years to come as it might be!)

b00sfuk
2010-09-18, 08:53 PM
Though I prefer G3PVR I have one reservation in that it might be a little confusing for upgraders. For example will the directory be G3PVR and if so this could lead to unnecessary difficulty in spotting typos for persons moving from GBPVR.

sub
2010-09-18, 09:04 PM
Though I prefer G3PVR I have one reservation in that it might be a little confusing for upgraders. For example will the directory be G3PVR and if so this could lead to unnecessary difficulty in spotting typos for persons moving from GBPVR.To be honest, I dont think thats worth worrying about. It might trip a few people up, but most would be ok, a new users wouldnt know any different.

Hairy
2010-09-18, 09:27 PM
You're killing me here people, I've already done a logo for Next PVR :D

dshoup
2010-09-18, 09:46 PM
Given the choices, I vote G3PVR. To be honest, I don't see what is wrong with GBPVR v 3.0, but I guess I'm kind of a boring guy that way:). Staying with GBPVR would allow the same web page and avoid all kinds of potential misunderstandings and shows the longer heritage of the project.

martint123
2010-09-18, 10:05 PM
I'd really like it to be LastPVR ;) but other than that, I guess NextPVR would be my choice.

soccerdad
2010-09-18, 10:06 PM
I like nPVR, but am not thrilled with NextPVR. Given that, G3PVR is what I picked. My bet is on the forum many will shorten it to G3. If G3PVR is chosen, I would keep the GBPVR "brand" with G3 as the latest product. Therefore I would consider keeping the GBPVR forum and homepage.

johnsonx42
2010-09-18, 10:08 PM
torn I am. I like NextPVR/NPVR, but G3PVR does have a certain appeal. I think I will vote for NextPVR, but it's hardly an overwhelming choice.

sub
2010-09-18, 10:12 PM
For the couple of users that have mentioned keeping the GBPVR branding...

There is long standing ownership issues around the GBPVR code base and possibly the name, and I'm trying to move away from those problem. Its best to move away from "GBPVR" so it doesnt come back to bite us later. As mentioned in the first 1.5 release announcement, this was a key reason for rewriting the entire application.

I will of course keep gbpvr.com pointing to the same location though when the even new domain name comes live.

sub
2010-09-18, 10:33 PM
Shameless bump to bring this thread back to the top.

nia
2010-09-18, 10:47 PM
I'm favoring NextPVR for a couple of reasons.

- It's easy and unambigous to pronounce - how do you say G3PVR?

- What when G3PVR becomes G4PVR?

I'm sure whatever is chosen, we'll adopt and adapt...

stustunz
2010-09-18, 11:27 PM
Just asked the mrs and she said g3 sounds like political summit ie" the G8 summit "
now im not sure

ewiemann
2010-09-19, 12:03 AM
I like g3pvr.

The graphic image is good, it makes you stop and say "Hey that is not an e its a three!".
It makes you notice and wonder. I like it.

(I know, its not gepvr - but that is how it is pronounced.)

siliconaudio
2010-09-19, 01:07 AM
I did prefer G3PVR, but I have warmed to NextPVR over the last couple of months to the point where I prefer it. If getting away from the GBPVR name is important, I think G3PVR is too close.

Jaggy
2010-09-19, 01:26 AM
I went for G3PVR not that I particularly like it but primarily because sub has the domain name for it & even if it is shortened to G3 for common use a google search is always going to find it (at the top of the list?) where as nextpvr isn't going to be at the top of the list when searching for the shortened npvr name as there is also an npvr domain name that sub doesn't have.

mulletback
2010-09-19, 01:32 AM
NextPVR, without a doubt. Make a clean break from the old code base and the old name.

steeb
2010-09-19, 02:48 AM
People are free to post other name suggestions if they want, but they'd have to be pretty popular to get chosen at this late stage.

I wish someone had.

G3PVR really means nothing but seems good for techies but certainly no-one else that I have chatted to (particularly ladies about this)

NPVR or nPVR whatever seems more logical but still really lights no fires

I know that many domain names have been taken which makes the process more difficult but as someone else said we'll all adjust and I wish in a way I hadn't posted this, but I have, and I'm not voting for either, bit like that re-make of the film Brewster's Millions. I vote for none of the above

johnsonx42
2010-09-19, 05:31 AM
I guess the important question about "G3PVR" is this: is the similarity to GB-PVR an asset or liability? It's probably both, so which outweighs the other?

johnsonx42
2010-09-19, 05:37 AM
of course we could also try for a third alternative... sub, do you have a middle initial we could play around with? :D

johnsonx42
2010-09-19, 05:41 AM
I just checked with my wife, she suggested "STMHWTMTO-PVR"; that's the short version of course, the full name would be "Stupid Thing My Husband Wastes Too Much Time On-PVR"

whurlston
2010-09-19, 06:43 AM
While I like G3PVR for sentimental reasons, NextPVR gets my vote for a few reasons:

It's grown on me.
The need to make a clean break.
This new version is pretty radically different from the old software and deserves a new name.
Although G3PVR does have a certain appeal, some will consider it |3375p34k (which irritates the **** out of me).
I cringe at the thought of G4PVR (G6PVR could be GbPVR with the right font though). NextPVR works for all versions.
Hairy made a logo already.
I'm still partial to Nextenders even though Martin's a traitor to the cause.

johnsonx42
2010-09-19, 06:47 AM
I just noticed you can click on the vote totals in the graph and see who voted for each name.... hope that doesn't lead to civil war between the blue and the red... hmmmm... reminds me of a bit of history:

Four score and seven(teen) days ago our sub brought forth on this forum, a new application, conceived in .NET, and dedicated to the proposition that all TV shows should be recorded equally.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that application, or any application so conceived and so dedicated, can be named. We are met on a great forum-thread of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that thread, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that application might get a name. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this thread. The brave users, present and past, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the users, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored users we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these users shall not have used in vain -- that this application, under sub, shall have a new name -- and that recording of TV shows of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

johnsonx42
2010-09-19, 07:25 AM
(johnsonx42 begins to worry quietly that non-US forum members won't know the original speech well enough to find it funny, and that US readers might in turn know it all too well and find such abuse of the Address to be unfunny... perhaps johnsonx42 isn't always so clever as he thinks he is)

nia
2010-09-19, 10:26 AM
Johnson - you're absolutely right about at least me being clueless about any historical reference :o But we'll all get to the point where we'll look back at The Great Battle for the New Name of 2010, remembering the harsh battles and personal flames penetrating the darkness of the period without an official name. And to that point:

(I know, its not gepvr - but that is how it is pronounced.)
Ewieman, you made my point exactly. Even thought you're a fellow Dane, I read "G3PVR" as "geethreepvr"... :rolleyes:

My support for the nPVR/NextPVR has strengthened - D34th t0 411 13tt3r5 r3p14c3d 8y num83r5!!! ;)

McBainUK
2010-09-19, 10:45 AM
I'd like to change my vote to NextPVR as G3PVR is too much like GBPVR. But, try and avoid refering to it as NPVR as that means NetworkPVR in some circles.

NumberFive
2010-09-19, 11:01 AM
G3PVR, it means I can get away with saying "GBPVR box" and not totally confusing people! :D

rwnz
2010-09-19, 11:32 AM
I've been using the name NPVR and have got quite used to it so I'll vote for NextPVR as you have that domain and the abbreviation seems to have been accepted for general use. Also, you (sub) have a concern about the GBPVR code base ownership and G3 is close to GB (especially if you ever see my handwriting) so NPVR is a clearer differentiation.

ACTCMS
2010-09-19, 02:26 PM
Mrs ACTCMS only sees the MVPs or the NMT which she just calls 'The TV Box in the [Kitchen|Bedroom|Livingroom]' ...

mulletback
2010-09-19, 04:25 PM
While I like G3PVR for sentimental reasons, NextPVR gets my vote for a few reasons:

Although G3PVR does have a certain appeal, some will consider it |3375p34k (which irritates the **** out of me).

Yes, and I believe that G3PVR is a cousin to 3CPO as well.

ACTCMS
2010-09-19, 04:43 PM
Yes, and I believe that G3PVR is a cousin to 3CPO as well.and let's not forget C-3PO :D

mulletback
2010-09-19, 04:46 PM
and let's not forget C-3PO :D

oh, the whole bunch of 'em :-\

soccerdad
2010-09-19, 06:13 PM
After all of this, it looks like many are looking for another name. From the above post, I figured GeekBox would be good, but it is already taken....

I still think it is much more than a PVR and the name should reflect that. The trick is to keep away from "media center" while showing that it is a Total Media Center....GBTMC?

soccerdad
2010-09-19, 06:19 PM
I guess you cant edit poll threads.... Total media center is alreay taken by the way. Maybe it should just be called Comet or Lucy

Anthony
2010-09-19, 07:23 PM
Of the two options, I prefer nextPvr. The other just sounds too cryptic. Might as well call it 3XP49QRT. :)

Two new possibilities to consider...

PVR3 - pvr3.com is available and indicates a third generation PVR. It's also easy to type.

SubPVR - subpvr.com is available, and lets the world know "sub" makes this one. :)

Just a thought...

Anthony

whurlston
2010-09-19, 08:11 PM
SubPVR - subpvr.com is available, and lets the world know "sub" makes this one. :)

I never thought to go the "sub" route. SubTheater/SubTheatre or SubMC could be cool. (SubMedia and SubCenter domains are taken.)

whurlston
2010-09-19, 08:12 PM
Arg, can't edit...

Those would also sound less "computer techie".

nia
2010-09-19, 09:15 PM
I like the Sub-route! Very late to the game, but really a good suggestion. I like SubPVR as well as SubMediaCenter/SubMC. SubTheater/SubTeatre not so much, not least because of the ambigous spelling.

UncleJohnsBand
2010-09-19, 11:27 PM
Of the two options I voted for nextpvr....it provides a break from the GBPVR realm since the underlying codebase is in-fact a next generation. It could support future releases via generation usage i.e. NextPVR Gen-1, NextPVR Gen-2.

That said.....the late bloomer subxxxx route did make me think.

Personally I don't like using the handle in the name...... However.....

GB-MediaCentre sounds like an attractive alternative keeping a implied connection to GBPVR while changing enough to know it is new and improved.

steeb
2010-09-20, 12:34 AM
I voted for 'none of the above' (even though that wasn't an option, call it a spoiled ballot paper)

I would be interested to hear the voice of the creator!

Sub does have a certain kudos, in many many many ways.

Is it worth persuing a 3rd way or is it just the choice G3PVR or NPVR?

If it really is just that choice then I will cast a vote.....

cheers Sub for everything that makes my 'PC based Home Entertainment System' rock!

Steeb

steeb
2010-09-20, 12:38 AM
LOL, I see the point now about not being able to edit! I don't mean Sub has a certain Kudos as in GB himself, AKA Sub, we know he has :) I mean the abbreviation has many levels that all sound sturdy!

Hmm

Steeb

sub
2010-09-20, 01:08 AM
I voted for 'none of the above' (even though that wasn't an option, call it a spoiled ballot paper)

I would be interested to hear the voice of the creator!This thread pretty much already gave my opinion. The best options I'd heard were sticking with NextPVR, or going with G3PVR. Both have pros and cons, and I couldnt really identify a favourite between these two.

Unfortunately the votes seems pretty evenly split at this stage, with no clear favourite.

Is it worth persuing a 3rd way or is it just the choice G3PVR or NPVR?It doenst have to be those two. If someone post a suggestion that seems popular, then I'd certainly consider it an option.

If we end up having to do another round of voting with other options, that's something we can do. I want to get the name right.

soccerdad
2010-09-20, 01:15 AM
What does Mrs. Sub like?

steeb
2010-09-20, 01:21 AM
It doenst have to be those two. If someone post a suggestion that seems popular, then I'd certainly consider it an option.

If we end up having to do another round of voting with other options, that's something we can do. I want to get the name right.

Well I for one will keep my spoiled ballot paper where it was for now then! How would you go about a possible 3rd option? Just suggestions on this thread? I really want you to get the name for this right and am sorry for being so provocactive about it. Are you insisting on having PVR as part of it? (Nothing wrong with that just need to know what your thoughts are!)

Cheers

Steeb

sub
2010-09-20, 01:40 AM
Well How would you go about a possible 3rd option? Just suggestions on this thread? Just post the name here and hope you get a few people saying that name is cool. If other users dont pipe up for it, then it wont be an option.

Are you insisting on having PVR as part of it? No.

steeb
2010-09-20, 02:04 AM
Just post the name here and hope you get a few people saying that name is cool. If other users dont pipe up for it, then it wont be an option.

Of course I never suggested I had another name! I just didn't think the other 2 were quite right. So if anyone is up for a serious stab at a new name then guess the chance is now! Otherwise it will be G3PVR or NPVR and there's nothing wrong with those but if anyone has something more hooky (and no need to use PVR in the name!)

Steeb

whurlston
2010-09-20, 06:37 AM
GB-MediaCentre

That's not a bad one IMO. I personally like the idea of trying to move away from "PVR" in the name.

johnsonx42
2010-09-20, 07:08 AM
I've had a few names pop into my head, not one includes "PVR"; they all seem corny to me, but perhaps one may strike someone's fancy.

First, a few based on... well, you know:
TVGram
TVProGram
Telly-Gram
GramTV
GBTV or GB-TV or TVGB
SubTV (or did someone already say that?)
(no, I'm not fond of any of those)

"TV Twaddler" (any Bloom County fans around here?)

AsSeenOnTV

RecallTV
RecollecTV
ReacTV
AcTVity

TVMemory or MemoryTV
TVMemoir
TVShow
PCShow
TVShowPC

TVTime
TVShowTime
TVHour
TVMax
MaxTV
TVNow

ok, it's sort of become a stream-of-consciousness thing now. I'll stop.

CWJTUCK
2010-09-20, 07:19 AM
I vote for AsSeenOnTV

johnsonx42
2010-09-20, 07:27 AM
I vote for AsSeenOnTV
Actually that one is no good anyway, it's an established company and website - they sell all the products advertised on TV Informercials.

I didn't research any of those names, or even give them a lot of thought... just tossing them into the fray.

johnsonx42
2010-09-20, 07:42 AM
oh, another one...

RetroacTV

siliconaudio
2010-09-20, 07:44 AM
PVR3 - pvr3.com is available and indicates a third generation PVR. It's also easy to type.

Hmm, I think I like PVR3:)

McBainUK
2010-09-20, 08:58 AM
I never thought to go the "sub" route. SubTheater/SubTheatre or SubMC could be cool. (SubMedia and SubCenter domains are taken.)
If there was another round of voting I would go with SubMediaCentre. This software is much more than a PVR so the name should reflect that. People know what a media centre is due to Windows Media Centre.

GBTV or GB-TV or TVGB
GBMediaCentre would also be an option. Although when first encountered GBPVR I assumed the GB was for Great Britain :rolleyes:.

agerdin
2010-09-20, 09:02 AM
So if we now are starting to add new candidates I am thinking to pitch in. Personally I would like to move away from both personal references (no offence sub) as well as PVR as I think GBPVR/NPVR does so much more than TV and Video Recording.

My first thought was "EntCent" (Entertainment Central) but that seem to already be taken. My next option would then be "EntPort" (Entertainment Portal) or "EntHub" (Entertainment Hub).

I also thought about using "Medi" (MediCent, MediHub) but "Medi" seems strongly associated to Medical terms and some of the domains with Medi are already taken.

Just my 2 cents,

\\Agerdin

whurlston
2010-09-20, 10:01 AM
This software is much more than a PVR so the name should reflect that. People know what a media centre is due to Windows Media Centre.That was my thinking as well.

Although when first encountered GBPVR I assumed the GB was for Great Britain :rolleyes:.So I wasn't the only one. :D

chalkster99
2010-09-20, 10:41 AM
If there was another round of voting I would go with SubMediaCentre. This software is much more than a PVR so the name should reflect that. People know what a media centre is due to Windows Media Centre.

+1 .
the capabilities of the product has broadened widely since inception. and perhaps even some thing denoting its growing role at the hub of a fuller media centre environment would be approp

GBMediaCentre would also be an option.

would be submc or gbmc in ordinary use ... which is easy to use.

imilne
2010-09-20, 10:42 AM
So I wasn't the only one. :D

Not by a long way :D

My vote is still for G3PVR. I never had a problem with GBPVR, and it seems a nice and simple way of carrying that name forward.

garyeuph
2010-09-20, 01:13 PM
Although I already voted, I think the idea of GBMediaCentre (GBMC) has much more going for it with all that the software does.

I don't think that SubMediaCentre works aswell though as in this context, 'Sub' to me suggests 'Less than a' Mediacentre (as in substandard)

Gary

2010-09-20, 01:48 PM
Might as well call it WifePVR for me!

I like nPVR

soccerdad
2010-09-20, 06:06 PM
Although I already voted, I think the idea of GBMediaCentre (GBMC) has much more going for it with all that the software does.

I don't think that SubMediaCentre works aswell though as in this context, 'Sub' to me suggests 'Less than a' Mediacentre (as in substandard)

Gary

The Sub issue is exactly as I was thinking as well.

+1 for GBMC It is much easier to say than G3PVR and as I said before, it is much more than a PVR.

soccerdad
2010-09-20, 06:08 PM
Of course I just checked and gbmc.com is taken:mad:

Sheik Yerbouti
2010-09-20, 06:33 PM
HWMC, High WAF Media Centre, although my wife prefers NAHWMC (Not Always High WAF Media Centre).

Chris

whurlston
2010-09-20, 06:56 PM

That was why I never suggested that abbreviation. It's registered to a mortgage company until 2020.

sub
2010-09-20, 06:59 PM
I really prefer having short domain names.

Fatman_do
2010-09-20, 09:51 PM
Although when first encountered GBPVR I assumed the GB was for Great Britain :rolleyes:.

NZpvr is available, but lame.

steeb
2010-09-20, 10:23 PM
Dear all,

if from reading the thread there was a 3rd alternative????

Not using PVR in the name (which Sub's software has IMO and some others) 'grown' beyond into much much more than a PVR and more of a total MC.
Not using GB as I too thought it stood for Great Britain when I 1st came across it.
Not using Sub in the name as per one comment (which could denote in some ways 'below par' though not to my mind I can see that people could see it that way)

Given that it is a full Media Centre application worked on by a guru and supported by a community of geniuses with plugins and skins and I have no doubt in the months to come that it will simply be blowing all competition 'out of the water' as it were.

And keeping the name short just something like:

UltraMC
MCUltra

?

Prob no good, I'm still happy to cast my vote with one of the PVR options but worth a stab :D

cheers

Sub and all

Steeb

Haggis
2010-09-20, 10:43 PM
Of the two given, I would go for G3PVR, but only marginally, and actually prefer neither.

I agree with those who say that it is better to move away from the GB and PVR forms. So we need to look for another form. When sub released NPVR, I had a few ideas but nothing concrete, but they were along the following lines.

A few years ago the network analyser Ethereal had to undergo a name change for legal reasons, or whatever, and they came up with the excellent name of Wireshark, which then followed on with the simple but well conceived logo using the outline of a shark fin.

So in this vein, I would suggest something like MuxEagle, obviously mux from multiplex, and eagles have excellent eyesight for good viewing.

Also:
MuxKite (.com avail)
Avkite (.com avail)
MuxMamba (.com avail)
Aveagle (.com avail)

My preference here would be Avkite, a.k.a AudioVideoKite. Its short and snappy, and im sure a good logo could be created.

Haggis
2010-09-20, 10:51 PM
Should have pointed out that the Kite is also a bird of prey, but the mamba is a snake ;)

johnsonx42
2010-09-20, 11:57 PM
When I first encountered GB-PVR, I didn't exactly think GB stood for Great Britain, since that didn't really make sense, but I sure couldn't think of what else it stood for (GigaByte? GopherBalls? considering what's available to watch on TV most of the time "Grotesque Banality" sort of fit). Once I figured it out, any possible letdown was tempered by the fact that I had joined the somewhat exclusive club of "those who know what the GB stands for".

gEd
2010-09-21, 12:06 AM
I agree with some of the above comments in as much as I do not think we should try to include the function of the software (PVR,MC) in the name but think of something a little more abstract or "funky" instead. You want to be able to tell people the name of the cool software you are using without feeling like you are having to spell it out for them (G B P V R).

A good example (that I have used before) is Handbrake. It's catchy, easy to say and memorable (so you can google it later). Or Hadoop (for the database geeks).

That being said, my brain isn't wired up like that so instead how about... Substation :-) or mediagizmo or allmymedia

sub
2010-09-21, 12:43 AM
I do like Substation. Zero chance of getting that domain name though.

johnsonx42
2010-09-21, 12:49 AM
SubjecTV? SubverTV? InfiniteTV?

I've always liked the names "BeyondTV" and "DirecTV", so somethingTV keeps popping into my head.

steeb
2010-09-21, 12:55 AM
Blimey this is hard!

All very well voting for none of the above but can see why easier to stick with what we know works!

My vote on a 3rd way was about to go for Substation too but then looked it up :(

Got to thinking about transport though and then bus's (Bus - Sub backwards ;) )

MyMediaBus

agerdin
2010-09-21, 03:05 AM
SubjecTV? SubverTV? InfiniteTV?

I've always liked the names "BeyondTV" and "DirecTV", so somethingTV keeps popping into my head.

In that case "NexTV"???

\\Agerdin

roy
2010-09-21, 03:18 AM
Now this is like a contest. Trying to get away from pvr, media may be too long, I go to AV (audio/video).

I thought AV Bus (from above) but seems to be used elsewhere. AVTorch - looks like it's available. Don't want folks to think antivirus though.

drugstore_cowboy
2010-09-21, 05:24 AM
Well one could keep with sub as the prefix and add an appropriate adjoining word. e.g. subtube, subview, subvision, subsee etc.

MixMan
2010-09-21, 08:54 AM
Some reflections to this tread.
Newcomers to GBPVR thought GB was short for Great Britain, so ... how about nzPVR.
Then newcomers could think that nz would be short for New Zealand.
A real global name wuld be unPVR. un could ne micro next PVR ....or why not uPVR.
Sub's a minimalist so prefix u (micro) would fit good, but nPVR is also good in my ears.

Haggis
2010-09-21, 10:49 AM
Using sub as the prefix makes me think of Subversion, the version control program.

McBainUK
2010-09-21, 11:58 AM
gb-mc.com isn't.

Hairy
2010-09-21, 01:00 PM
In the spirit of blue sky thinking, I may as well throw out a couple of suggestions.

Some made-ie up words

Acen -as in Acen Mediacentre
Aveen -comes from Aoibheann (a-veen/ee-veen would be the phonetic english pronounciation), the Irish for radient, shining, beautiful.

Some not so made-ie up words

Acroama -acroama is the latin for entertainment/entertainer.
Manawa -is Māori for heart/center

McBainUK
2010-09-21, 02:38 PM
Some interesting ideas there Hairy.

Tower
2010-09-21, 04:20 PM
Using sub as the prefix makes me think of Subversion, the version control program.

That was my first thought as well...

I like G3VR (Gee-three-vee-arr). Short, registerable, hearkens back to GBPVR, but different. G³VR for display/logo purposes (think the superscript 3 where the * is today in the logo)

jam_zhou
2010-09-21, 04:33 PM
oooh, I like Acroama...Acroama PVR sounds really simple and elegant.

roy
2010-09-21, 06:49 PM
PV-Kiwi
PV-Station
PV-Control - ctrl-PV

???

roy
2010-09-21, 06:53 PM
I like G³VR (Gee-three-vee-arr).
x2

trummel
2010-09-21, 07:24 PM
I like G3VR (Gee-three-vee-arr).

x3

ShiningDragon
2010-09-21, 10:23 PM
What is your preference for the official name?

Simple: nextPVR aká nPVR ; g3pvr sounds like a hip hop drug version of an 11 years old child. ^^;

skycyclepilot
2010-09-21, 10:26 PM
I voted for G3pvr because "next" sounds too much like a Macintosh/Apple product.

Tower
2010-09-21, 10:31 PM
g3pvr sounds like a hip hop drug version of an 11 years old child. ^^;
Ha! Maybe mcgb (though that reminds me of CBGB). Simpler is better, though. We wouldn't want sub to end up like the auto industry and call it Super-MC-GBPVR-Ultimate-Max-2.0-Turbo_DOHC.Net

ShiningDragon
2010-09-21, 10:34 PM
I voted for G3pvr because "next" sounds too much like a Macintosh/Apple product.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Macintosh_G3
*buck*

sub
2010-09-21, 10:44 PM
sigh.... I'm quickly coming to the conclusion this thread hasnt helped at all. Its just made things even cloudier. :confused:

ShiningDragon
2010-09-21, 10:48 PM
What did you expected sub? Start a thread with 20 names and you will get 20 different thoughts. *smile*

How about "truePVR"? "freePVR"? "bestPVR"? ^.^

Or we just go away from "PVR", because your product is a lot more then just "only" a PVR. ;)

liteswap
2010-09-21, 11:09 PM
How about Media SubStation?

steeb
2010-09-22, 12:24 AM
What did you expected sub? Start a thread with 20 names and you will get 20 different thoughts. *smile*

Or we just go away from "PVR", because your product is a lot more then just "only" a PVR. ;)

I think this was one issue, to see if there was something else without PVR in the title, but most other things then indicate that if it is more than a PVR it is a 'Media Centre' or MC? Which seems to be a very common abbreviation added to the names of domains on the web. Could use things like ME for Media Experience or MS for Media System but of course these aren't in common usage like Media Centre (Center) is. But it really is so much more than a PVR.

But also seems it is all about keeping it really short and punchy and not something like.

The Best Media Centre Software That Works With Windows

TBMCSTWWW

I fear for Sub's sanity with all of us chucking out names ;)

Steeb

steeb
2010-09-22, 01:08 AM
sigh.... I'm quickly coming to the conclusion this thread hasnt helped at all. Its just made things even cloudier. :confused:

If things are cloudy why not look to Hairy's Blue Sky thinking.

Blue Sky Media Centre

blueskymc.com

reminds me of nice days and what I always thought the weather in New Zealand would be like :D No GB or Sub in it though :(

Steeb

nia
2010-09-22, 01:40 AM
Thank you for letting us in on the process - sorry to have failed you miserably... :rolleyes:

soccerdad
2010-09-22, 01:59 AM
Actually I think we are getting closer. I really like media substation. And it is available. It is a little long as a domain name, but it is good. mss.com,medias and mediass.com are taken. I also really like blueskymc.

Fatman_do
2010-09-22, 04:13 AM
More possilbly useless sugestions that are open.

mepvr (pronoun sounding Media-Entertainment)
mipvr (pronoun sounding)
hmpvr (Home Media)
htpvr (HomeTheater)

JonnyCam
2010-09-22, 04:34 AM
I like MeVR, (or Mee-VR, Me-VR)
because Subs product changes the way you watch content, broadcasting to times when it's convenient for me.

Oh - and it seems that 'mevr' means Mrs in dutch.
Appropriate consider the number of times the term WAF comes up on the board!

7ore
2010-09-22, 07:00 AM
Blue Sky Media Centre

blueskymc.com

This I like. it is more a Media Center than a PVR so I think it is a good idea to change.
And this is a name that a new visitor actually may remember for later. :D

Else I think G³VR is a good suggestion.

johnsonx42
2010-09-22, 07:36 AM
All your fault of course ;) once you allowed people to suggest alternative names, and further said they didn't even have to include 'PVR', the result was inevitable.

NextPVR isn't a bad name at all, and it has the advantage of being already in use... think about how much stuff will have to be changed, and how many times we'll have to explain to new users that all the forum posts talking about 'NPVR' and 'NextPVR' may also pertain to 'InsertNameHere'.

I don't really agree with the notion expressed in a lot of posts that the program is inadequately described as a PVR, and that we need to drop 'PVR' from the name. The program pretty much IS a PVR program; at it's core it does very little other than record and playback TV shows; surely 90% of it's code pertains to that function, and probably 90% of the users use it that way 90% of the time (90% of those percentages were 90% guesses, but probably pretty good guesses). Being able to play videos that weren't originally recorded by the program is a pretty obvious extension of PVR functionality, and the additional functions like Music and Photos, along with what plugins can add in the future really don't change the primary reason a user would install it. If a user wants media library functions without recording TV shows, there are probably better programs out there.

So my vote for the name ultimately comes back to "NextPVR" as the common name, "NPVR" for short, and "NextPVR Mediacenter" as the full, complete name (or Mediacentre if you must). It's a name with marketing potential too... it's the year 2010, and while we don't yet have rotating space stations, pan am passenger space shuttles, moon bases nor intelligent computers on spaceships that make routine trips to Jupiter, most people have had some form of PVR/DVR device already. "You've had a PVR, it worked ok... but it wasn't truly yours. Now it's time for your NextPVR." Ok, so I'm not a marketing genius, but you get the idea.

liteswap
2010-09-22, 08:58 AM
I see what you're getting at, but I'm not sure that ease of support on the forum is a big enough justification for a name. Au contraire, you want to draw people in who aren't on the forum, to really grow the user base. I'm sure sub has his eye on the eventual commercialisation of the product, once it's mature enough - maybe a big software house will buy it.

So I think my suggestion (Media SubStation) offers everything: it sound big and powerful, it says what it does, and it's got sub in it. What more could you want? :)

johnsonx42
2010-09-22, 09:23 AM
I see what you're getting at, but I'm not sure that ease of support on the forum is a big enough justification for a name.
You're taking a minor point and putting it center stage. My more general point was that we're already using the name, so if we're going to go through the trouble of changing it then the new name ought to be a lot better than what we started with; I think "NextPVR Mediacenter" is actually pretty good, and requires no changes.

So I think my suggestion (Media SubStation) offers everything: it sound big and powerful, it says what it does, and it's got sub in it. What more could you want? :)
Among the alternatives suggested so far, that one is probably best. I'm not sure if I like it better than NextPVR Mediacenter though.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion of course, but I'm actually rather surprised G3-PVR is ahead in the voting. I suppose I'll have to consider the possibility that not everyone thinks the same way I do, a point my wife has been trying to make to me for years :rolleyes:

McBainUK
2010-09-22, 09:33 AM
Each time I come back to this thread I want to vote for a different name!

Blue Sky Media Centre blueskymc.com
I like this because it's easy to remember, meaningful but meaningless and uses the Media Centre phrase so people already know what it does because of Windows Media Centre.

Also, the default skin is Blue and it wouldn't take much to make the default background sky-like :)

stustunz
2010-09-22, 09:39 AM
quak- pvr it will rock you

stustunz
2010-09-22, 09:40 AM
crap not edit lol
It was meant to be quake-pvr

martint123
2010-09-22, 02:12 PM
TV When You Like It. tvwyli / tv-wyli (both available - no surprise ;)

peter_h
2010-09-22, 02:32 PM
A little more original than "KiwiPVR" :D

For those outside of NZ, "Aotearoa" is the indigenous name for NZ. (Pronounced [aoˌteaˈroa] )

And no, it's not a serious suggestion. Just thought it kind of amusing :)

peter_h
2010-09-22, 02:47 PM
- SubStation -

ShiningDragon
2010-09-22, 04:10 PM
- SubStation -

http://mceer.buffalo.edu/publications/bulletin/08/22-01/images/04Substation-350.jpg
Mhhm... *smile*

soccerdad
2010-09-22, 05:34 PM
You can always combine substation and blue sky and get bluesubmc.com. It is available.

carpeVideo
2010-09-22, 06:00 PM
How about just 3vr?

Is it really personal anymore (dang its already copyrighted)

pathfinder
2010-09-22, 09:09 PM
I did a google search - results
g3pvr = 84 hits
nextpvr = 1840 hits
npvr = 19700 hits

I like the g3pvr name as it represents the third generation and the limited search hits. should make it easy to search for help.

steeb
2010-09-22, 11:24 PM
I did a google search - results
g3pvr = 84 hits
nextpvr = 1840 hits
npvr = 19700 hits

I like the g3pvr name as it represents the third generation and the limited search hits. should make it easy to search for help.

Good point, google does have many things to answer for.

Never tried that with npvr myself until now.

Interestingly for me the top 3 hits with npvr as search item bring up these:

1) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_DVR
2) http://www.iptv-industry.com/ar/3t.htm
3) http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/NPVR

Which begs the question to me again is NPVR really 'out there' as a separate identity. i.e. I chat to someone about my Media System, I tell them NPVR 'google' it.

What will the google bring? Of course if it is not about the separate identity of NPVR not a problem ;

Next PVR as search term gives a better response.

Steeb

steeb
2010-09-22, 11:30 PM
Damn, can't edit post (forgot) I would add that am sure McBainUK pointed this out much earlier in this thread that so far on the web NPVR stands for Network-Based Personal Video Recorder/ing however many of us know the N stands for Next

Steeb

OldFox41
2010-09-23, 12:06 AM
I vote G3PVR.

trummel
2010-09-23, 10:07 PM
Yet another name suggestion: - aoPVRoa

For those outside of NZ, "Aotearoa" is the indigenous name for NZ.

So does that translate to 'land of the long television advert'

liteswap
2010-09-23, 11:34 PM
If I might say so - I think tying it so obviously to one country risks making it appear too parochial and unsuited to people all over the globe....

steeb
2010-09-24, 12:11 AM
Having looked through this thread so many times :D

Important to get the name right but not forsaking Sub's sanity!

Looks like G3PVR is going to be the winner, but for reasons of not using NPVR or, in fact, the PVR extension at all, as some comments hint at it being more than a PVR (which appears mainly to be now locked in Techie terms to SA (Stand Alone) devices/boxes.)

Everything hints at this being a Media Centre.

Picking up on the Blue thing, then thinking about Hairy's use of Latin, (thinking about usage of new beginnings, phoenix from flames etc) gave 'New Dawn' which doesn't always translate well 'Eos' I think in Greek. But never worked well so didn't post that one (SubEos????)

Blue Sky came about from Sub's clouded statement.

Blue is nice and always the colour of the default skin.

New Dawn, new beginnings, GB-PVR, NPVR, G3PVR something very unusual like a ...... Blue Moon?

No Sub or GB in that but then there isn't in G3PVR or G3VR.

Blue Moon Media Centre

bluemoonmc.com

much longer than Sub would like and if it comes down to it my vote will be with G3PVR

Just had to push that one out before my 'short-weekend break' :D

Steeb

fred250
2010-09-24, 12:29 AM
+1 on SubMC/SubMediaCenter

siliconaudio
2010-09-24, 12:30 AM
There sure are some bizarre name suggestions being made around here! PVR needs to be in the name IMHO; that's how I found GBPVR - I was looking for a PVR. With all its plugins, GBPVR was approaching a media centre, but to be honest, in it's current form, NPVR is basically a PVR much more than a full media centre. Windows Media Centre is much more a media centre, but is a crap PVR.

So, I don't think there is any reason to radically change the name. It is what it is and does it very well - a very good PVR with some media-centre like attributes.

CWJTUCK
2010-09-24, 05:16 AM
What about something like

Showing Now
or
Tee-V
or
TV-Time

hondophred
2010-09-24, 05:56 AM
MorePVR

Fatman_do
2010-09-24, 10:31 PM
gbdvr ...probably too close to "legal" grey line.

peter_h
2010-09-24, 11:27 PM
WWW = Watch Whatever Whenever.

Yeah. Clear as mud. :p

peter_h
2010-09-24, 11:31 PM
Reliable. Ubiquitous. Cheap ... McPVR !!

:D

peter_h
2010-09-24, 11:33 PM
Though I don't think "Sub" would like the competition. :p

peter_h
2010-09-24, 11:39 PM
Blue Moon Media Centre

bluemoonmc.com

Just had to push that one out before my 'short-weekend break' :D

Steeb

Every so often a bus goes past my place. On rare occasions a teenage smurf at the back shoves his naked ass to the glass.

soccerdad
2010-09-25, 01:09 AM
Every so often a bus goes past my place. On rare occasions a teenage smurf at the back shoves his naked ass to the glass. Well since your are in Wellington, maybe the smurf is related to sub... if so, we go full circle and the name works perfectly:D

wodger
2010-09-25, 04:06 AM

I like MeVR, (or Mee-VR, Me-VR) because Subs product changes the way you watch content, broadcasting to times when it's convenient for me.

The program pretty much IS a PVR program; at it's core it does very little other than record and playback TV shows; surely 90% of it's code pertains to that function, and probably 90% of the users use it that way 90% of the time (90% of those percentages were 90% guesses, but probably pretty good guesses). Being able to play videos that weren't originally recorded by the program is a pretty obvious extension of PVR functionality, and the additional functions like Music and Photos, along with what plugins can add in the future really don't change the primary reason a user would install it. If a user wants media library functions without recording TV shows, there are probably better programs out there.

I agree that having PVR in the title isn't a bad idea seeing as that is primarily what it does. Someone mentioned the word globe before too .. how about GlobePVR? nzPVR or some name localised on an NZ theme might fool people into thinking that it doesn't have the international capabilities that it does.

I was thinking "BestPVR" while reading through the thread as well. :)

Of the original options I like NextPVR more than G3PVR.

wodger
2010-09-25, 04:13 AM
If you could capatalise on the WAF theme as well it would be cool, I think :)

wodger
2010-09-25, 04:15 AM
Maybe you could do another poll with the new name ideas that have surfaced..

re-Barr
2010-09-25, 07:42 AM
I like the Blue Sky one the best. it goes with the blue theme.
G3VR rolls off the tongue easier than G3PVR... If it was G3PVR that was chosen I would want to call it G3 for short and that conjures up the old mac as was posted earlier which is not a supported system. And I wonder if sub is trying to get away from all of the GB-PVR stuff does that get accomplished by either of those.
nPVR never really did anything for me and calling it NextPVR doesn't really do it either. I kinda like NexTV better as Agerdin suggested awhile back but this does so much more than tv.
Anything AV will be confused with Antivirus software.
Acroama (Hairy) isn't bad either but acroama.com is taken. Maybe sub you could look at the .tv domain. It could shorten a domain like blueskymc.com could be bluesky.tv or acroama.tv or whatever is chosen.
I do like pvr better than media center as it seems to be the core function of the system, um okay so maybe NextPVR is a good choice as it is the next level of a pvr. oh crap! now I think NextPVR is a pretty good choice. Decisions decisions.

I am totally not serious about this but I can't help myself. hebeGB (HEE-bee-JEE-bee). I am sorry sub but afterall he be GB.

siliconaudio
2010-09-25, 09:28 AM
I do like pvr better than media center as it seems to be the core function of the system, um okay so maybe NextPVR is a good choice as it is the next level of a pvr. oh crap! now I think NextPVR is a pretty good choice. Decisions decisions.

Yup, that is exactly where I ended up too. All said & done, NextPVR is the best choice. This is a PVR app first and foremost.

wodger
2010-09-25, 01:46 PM
NextPVR
BestPVR
AwesomePVR
MiPVR
MePVR
GoldPVR
PVRGold
BlueSkyPVR
WAF-PVR
ThisPVR4WAF

wodger
2010-09-25, 01:52 PM
ooh - FuturePVR ?

Google: "Your search - futurepvr - did not match any documents. "

baj1
2010-09-25, 02:16 PM
Given the choices, I vote G3PVR. To be honest, I don't see what is wrong with GBPVR v 3.0, but I guess I'm kind of a boring guy that way:). Staying with GBPVR would allow the same web page and avoid all kinds of potential misunderstandings and shows the longer heritage of the project.

+1 on keeping GBPVR. Most who do PC-based PVR are familiar with the name, makes sense to me.

baj1
2010-09-25, 02:19 PM
I am totally not serious about this but I can't help myself. hebeGB (HEE-bee-JEE-bee). I am sorry sub but afterall he be GB.

LOL, I like this one best now!

johnsonx42
2010-09-25, 05:15 PM
+1 on keeping GBPVR. Most who do PC-based PVR are familiar with the name, makes sense to me.
It bears repeating that keeping GBPVR is simply not an option. Sub has stated that there are long-running problems pertaining to the legal ownership of the gbpvr name and code-base.

SteveTyrakowski
2010-09-25, 05:44 PM
gWiz

tomper
2010-09-27, 06:33 PM
G3PVR isn't the best name but it would allow the tray icon to go back to looking like it used to. So it gets my vote.

BTJustice
2010-09-28, 02:44 AM
How about HDPVR?

BTJustice
2010-09-28, 02:47 AM
Or PVRHD?

stustunz
2010-09-28, 02:54 AM
Or PVRHD?

i think haupauge have already taken that one

wodger
2010-09-28, 07:52 AM
hey what about futurePVR ? :D (I quite like it :) )

Bluetick
2010-09-28, 09:19 PM
SSN -- Subs Sleepless Nights

reven
2010-09-28, 10:59 PM
i voted g3pvr, just because when referring to it, i would drop "pvr" and call it "g3" and i couldnt really do that with "next" (ppl wouldnt know what i was talking about).

my only reservation is g3 and 3g.

i would rather it be called just "G3", using the g3pvr domain (i doubt you could manage to buy g3.com) or make the new logo focus on G3 and the PVR very small. "G3 PVR" is a little long to say, like "xbmc" just saying letters makes it difficult, a word is better...

just my 2 cents, feel free to ignore them :P

Azimuth
2010-09-29, 04:07 AM
iopvr, fireiotv, fireiomc, netiopvr, netiotv, netiomc, iomediacenter, iomediacentre, gbvue, ionvr, subnvr

all are available

liteswap
2010-09-29, 07:37 AM
Let me just mention Media SubStation again :)

wodger
2010-09-29, 09:32 AM
futurePVR, pvrFuture
ok i'll stop, but I think it's a good name. :)

Barsk
2010-09-30, 11:45 PM
I think a good brand or product name needs to give the audience the right kinds of associations as well as telling what it is. And I came up with the word "sense". We use our senses when we use npvr/gbpvr. And the tool makes sense of all the media for us.

Unfortunately the domains SenseMedia and MediaSense were taken. I think they were really good. But what about:

SensePvr
or
SenseCenter

They both appear available as domains.

Of the other two available options, g3pvr and nextPVR I would choose none. I think it is wrong to "bake in" versioning into the product name. What happens when we go to the next major version? g4pvr? A new domain, changing all the docs etc? I seriously think this is a bad idea for a name. NextPvr is slightly better. But how long is it going to be the "next". When the next new version comes along, the name looses its justification, or at least the one that one has not upgraded yet ( it will be the prevPVR :)).
I think that because nextPVR has that versioning baked in too it should be avoided for that reason.

steeb
2010-09-30, 11:53 PM
Comment from Sub needed?

this could go round and round again.... 14 pages for me at last Forum count

Is the choice just NPVR or G3PVR?

GB what's you're thinking?

Steeb

sub
2010-10-01, 12:13 AM
Of the other two available options, g3pvr and nextPVR I would choose none. I think it is wrong to "bake in" versioning into the product name. What happens when we go to the next major version? g4pvr? A new domain, changing all the docs etc? I seriously think this is a bad idea for a name. NextPvr is slightly better. But how long is it going to be the "next". When the next new version comes along, the name looses its justification, or at least the one that one has not upgraded yet ( it will be the prevPVR :)).Just to be clear, this process is nothing to do with the version. Its about rebranding to get rid of the "GBPVR" name, due to possible ownership issues. Whatever name we choose is going to be used from then on. A new version would just get a version number like 2.x, or 3.x, etc, and wont change the name.

steeb
2010-10-01, 12:23 AM
Just to be clear, this process is nothing to do with the version. Its about rebranding to get rid of the "GBPVR" name, due to possible ownership issues. Whatever name we choose is going to be used from then on. A new version would just get a version number like 2.x, or 3.x, etc, and wont change the name.

One would hope that anyone reading this thread had realised it was beyond version. If not it was because the thread was not read. A simple question GB is it just down to NPVR and G3PVR now?

sub
2010-10-01, 12:24 AM
Comment from Sub needed?

this could go round and round again.... 14 pages for me at last Forum count

Is the choice just NPVR or G3PVR?

GB what's you're thinking?Unfortunately this thread just helped make the decision harder. :D

There hasnt really been any other suggestions posted in the thread seemed to be widely popular. I did quite like 'substation', but I really wanted a name I could get the domain name for, and the alternative names like SubstationMC etc just werent as good.

At this stage, I'm tempted to respect the outcome of the poll and just go with g3pvr, or just leave it as nextpvr... ie, clear as mud. :D

steeb
2010-10-01, 12:28 AM
Unfortunately this thread just helped make the decision harder. :D

There hasnt really been any other suggestions posted in the thread seemed to be widely popular. I did quite like 'substation', but I really wanted a name I could get the domain name for, and the alternative names like SubstationMC etc just werent as good.

At this stage, I'm tempted to respect the outcome of the poll and just go with g3pvr, or just leave it as nextpvr... ie, clear as mud. :D

Cross posts again!

Obviously this is your call is it a PVR or Media Centre?

If you could decide this?

Or is it a DVR (by Fatman_do)

This will help to slim it down....

sub
2010-10-01, 12:34 AM
If I'm not going with a generic name, then I'm quite happy to stick with "PVR" being the core part of the name since that is the primary feature. I'm not trying to the best Media Center out there. I just want the app to be a good personal video recoder, with some basic music/photo features.

steeb
2010-10-01, 12:42 AM
If I'm not going with a generic name, then I'm quite happy to stick with "PVR" being the core part of the name since that is the primary feature. I'm not trying to the best Media Center out there. I just want the app to be a good personal video recoder, with some basic music/photo features.

Brilliant. How about DVR instead of PVR? Only saying that because with release of NPVR this is really a DVR solution not a PVR solution. And PVR seems old, DVR seems new? Understand that this is not a Media Centre, though I think in the months to come it will be :-)

sub
2010-10-01, 01:04 AM
DVR vs PVR are about the same from a name perspective. I'm a lot more use to using 'PVR' after typing it for 7 years, so probably wouldnt bother switching to a name with DVR.

steeb
2010-10-01, 01:25 AM
DVR vs PVR are about the same from a name perspective. I'm a lot more use to using 'PVR' after typing it for 7 years, so probably wouldnt bother switching to a name with DVR.

Again your call. Should 7 years of typing PVR restrict you? It is only one letter. If you are honestly loking for re-branding you're still (IMHO) still looking inside the box :-)

Steeb

peter_h
2010-10-01, 01:29 AM
An Aussie guy call Aaron White has the SUBSTATION.TV domain registered, but it's unused.
http://whois.domaintools.com/substation.tv

I wonder...would it be worth emailing him and asking if he'd release the name, for our good not-for-profit cause?

sub
2010-10-01, 01:43 AM
If you are honestly loking for re-branding you're still (IMHO) still looking inside the box :-)I was pretty open minded when I started the thread, but sea of non-interesting names has made me think "just go with what you'd originally thought, they're no better or worse than the other options I've heard". :D

I'm still reading everything posted though, so still a chance someone will post something cool. It doesnt have to have PVR or DVR or MC or anything specific.

crossnet
2010-10-01, 01:53 AM
DVR is too generic. Every cable company here offers a DVR. NGBR or NPVR are unique.

em

steeb
2010-10-01, 02:06 AM
DVR is too generic. Every cable company here offers a DVR. NGBR or NPVR are unique.

em

Well there are not on a google search. Once again this is so awkward. NPVR is in no means unique. Read the the whole thread!

NGBR, for that matter may be different but what is the thought there?

Steeb

chewy747
2010-10-01, 02:26 AM
any idea when the beeta will be gone? I am looking to redo my whole setup and would like to start clean with npvr or whatever is decided. I hope I dont have to hobble along too much longer!

I think we're getting close to being able to remove that "Beta" status from NPVR, and at the same time I want to finalise the name the project will use going forward.

The options are nextpvr or g3pvr. What is your preference for the official name? I own both the nextpvr.com and g3pvr.com domain names.

"nextpvr" was originally a working name for the next pvr application I was creating, but its hard to change a name once you start using it.

"g3pvr" was a suggestion by bgowland a few months back which I really liked, since its similar to gbpvr, but also implies 3rd generation etc.

steeb
2010-10-01, 02:43 AM
any idea when the beeta will be gone? I am looking to redo my whole setup and would like to start clean with npvr or whatever is decided. I hope I dont have to hobble along too much longer!

I wouldn't post this here, I may be inclined to post this here:

http://forums.gbpvr.com//forumdisplay.php?48-NPVR-Support

But what do you mean by hobble? NPVR though still in beta is still much more so. Offer your set-up and I think you will find alot of help.

siliconaudio
2010-10-01, 02:55 AM

I'm very happy to hear that Sub. IMHO, you are on the right track. There are a few full "media centre" projects out there, but quite honestly, they suck badly for PVR use. I like the focus you currently have.

Speaking of things that suck, I would put most of the name suggestions made in this thread into that category. So I say stick to your guns in regards to the name.

steeb
2010-10-01, 03:03 AM

Quote from siliconaudio

steeb
2010-10-01, 03:04 AM

Quote from siliconaudio Voted PVR the whole way!

steeb
2010-10-01, 03:18 AM
Quote from siliconaudio Voted PVR the whole way!

Realised again that you cannot edit these poll things. My vote would be with Siliconaudio. This is just a PVR. Nothing spectacular or clever. In fact most votes head for PVR. Not a DVR. And certainly not a Media Centre. So back down to the basics? NPVR or G3PVR? The votes look like G3PVR, I must dust off my old Mac PC and see what it can do :-)

siliconaudio
2010-10-01, 03:30 AM
Realised again that you cannot edit these poll things. My vote would be with Siliconaudio. This is just a PVR. Nothing spectacular or clever. In fact most votes head for PVR. Not a DVR. And certainly not a Media Centre. So back down to the basics? NPVR or G3PVR? The votes look like G3PVR, I must dust off my old Mac PC and see what it can do :-)

Well, I do think it's spectacular & clever, but that's another thread ;) (don't worry, I know what you meant) :D

Someone noted earlier in this thread that having a "3" in the name locks the version into the title. I think that I agree that could be a problem (what if sub comes up with the 4th iteration?).

NextPVR wouldn't suffer this potential problem, as next generation is always next generation, so it doesn't date so easily.

I don't much care for "npvr", but NextPVR with the correct casing has a rather nice aesthetic, I think. It lends itself to logo design.

steeb
2010-10-01, 03:41 AM
Well, I do think it's spectacular & clever, but that's another thread ;) (don't worry, I know what you meant) :D

Someone noted earlier in this thread that having a "3" in the name locks the version into the title. I think that I agree that could be a problem (what if sub comes up with the 4th iteration?).

NextPVR wouldn't suffer this potential problem, as next generation is always next generation, so it doesn't date so easily.

I don't much care for "npvr", but NextPVR with the correct casing has a rather nice aesthetic, I think. It lends itself to logo design.

A google search reveals all.

Any variaton on NPVR will bring up something before Sub can fight back on limited budget.

NextPVR has better results on google but will never place it centre stage....

Steeb

steeb
2010-10-01, 03:51 AM

Any variaton on NPVR will bring up something before Sub can fight back on limited budget.

NextPVR has better results on google but will never place it centre stage....

Steeb

[Edit] Try it you'll see. Apparently something like 60% of people using a web search will use google. Tap in NPVR or any permutations and see what you get, it won't be Sub's software at the top, in fact not even on the first page! Or even the 2nd!

sub
2010-10-01, 04:02 AM

NextPVR has better results on google but will never place it centre stage....As I said earlier in the thread, it was never going to be "NPVR". It was going to offically be "NextPVR", even if we abbrevieate to "NPVR" on the forums.

steeb
2010-10-01, 04:04 AM
Oh yeah and then obviously try NextPVR as search! Results better but not good. Still depends on what Sub wants

steeb
2010-10-01, 04:07 AM
As I said earlier in the thread, it was never going to be "NPVR". It was going to offically be "NextPVR", even if we abbrevieate to "NPVR" on the forums.

Sub whatever you want it to be is your creation. We will all follow :-)

Barsk
2010-10-01, 04:16 PM
Ok, some new suggestions after some thoughts:

SubTastic
CentreHub
SubHub (Funny, but taken :D)
SubMaxPVR

Sub, with all these people mangling their heads, sooner or later something that sticks will come out.

jam_zhou
2010-10-01, 06:33 PM
How about:

RightOnPVR-->RO-PVR
SpotOnPVR --> SO-PVR

GoPVR
GotPVR

Go2PVR <--oooh I like this one.

Barsk
2010-10-01, 07:23 PM
go2pvr is quite cool! Me like too.

I'll toss in one more here ( I hade several, but hey were all taken): FriendlyPVR, it is what this PVR and community is all about...

Barsk
2010-10-01, 07:25 PM
Sorry, but at the same moment I pressed submit I came up with this, so I'll toss in this too (and then will be quiet for a while): SelectPVR
Not to shaggy?

stustunz
2010-10-01, 09:03 PM
ezpvr

wannabepvr
2010-10-01, 10:39 PM
This is what happens when you go to the video shop with more than 2 people. Not that I remember going to the video shop since GBPVR!
And fortunately this is not a democracy. It would be just like the Australian / Swedish parliament. Even the Australian Football final. No clear winner.

I always found GBPVR a bit clumsy to say. It;s too many letters in an acronym without making a word. When I have told people about it the name was difficult to remember so I was always sending them a link. (not that that is a problem)

My vote would be for "sub"-something. -
- I like the in-joke type reference to our leader,
- I can say it as a word,
- it leads to other word associations superb, sublime, sub culture, and many others. It is easy to make a cool subzero association in branding if you were to choose to go that way.

My only hesitation is that 'sub' has a meaning of 'below' or 'less than' so there needs to be a positive link in the tag.

"SubMC" the coolest way to watch!

But I have no experience in marketing or related disciplines to take it for what it is worth..

chewy747
2010-10-02, 12:10 AM
by hobble I meant my winodws install. there is something wacked about it and was hoping to wait to put the final release on after I redo windows.

Barsk
2010-10-02, 09:21 AM
SubCentre?

dljones8053
2010-10-02, 08:45 PM
NGPVR Short for Next Generation Personal Video Recorder

steeb
2010-10-03, 01:42 AM
Sub,

just could be me but have a suspicion that this is getting really boring for a few of us now. You asked for a Poll that has been responded to. WHAT is the name you are going for? You don't like alternative names on this Poll soooo... When are you going to decide tomorrow, next week, next year....

sub
2010-10-03, 02:00 AM
Sub,

just could be me but have a suspicion that this is getting really boring for a few of us now. You asked for a Poll that has been responded to. WHAT is the name you are going for?To be honest I dont know. I'll most likely end up going with the g3pvr which proved most popular in the poll.

I was initially happy with the idea of going with whatever won the poll, but there has been a couple of well-reasoned arguments against both g3pvr and nextpvr... well-reasoned enough to give me some doubts. Given the lack of popular alternatives though, it will most likely end up with one of these.

You don't like alternative names on this Poll soooo... There was more to it than just my opinion. As I said earlier in the thread, users are free to post alternative names, and if there are any that seemed popular, then they'd been considered. The community didnt seem to show out strong support for any of the alternative names posted.

When are you going to decide tomorrow, next week, next year....I need to decide before I remove the 'beta' from the name. There will be at least 1 more beta before that happens, so we've probably got a month or so before I need to make the decision. I had initially planned to have decided by now, but it didnt end up being as clear cut as I'd hoped.

steeb
2010-10-03, 02:08 AM
This is still not a definitve answer :D

But closer ;)

You need to simply grab the bull by the horns as it were.

g3pvr has won, surely? By votes?

You like PVR in title?

A lot of comments don't like NPVR or G3PVR now is last ditch attempt.....????

Outside the Box thinking again?

Steeb

sub
2010-10-03, 02:17 AM
I cant give you anything more than I've already told you - I havnt made up my mind yet, but I'll most likely go with the poll result. I'm not in any hurry, and dont need to decide right now.

steeb
2010-10-03, 02:20 AM
I cant give you anything more than I've already told you - I havnt made up my mind yet, but I'll most likely go with the poll result. I'm not in any hurry, and dont need to decide right now.

Yup understood, thank you for making that clear. Always good to know that your clarity of thinking will help all of us know where we are.

Cheers

Steeb

ACTCMS
2010-10-03, 02:36 AM
To be honest I dont know. I'll most likely end up going with the g3pvr which proved most popular in the poll.

I was initially happy with the idea of going with whatever won the poll, but there has been a couple of well-reasoned arguments against both g3pvr and nextpvr... well-reasoned enough to give me some doubts. Given the lack of popular alternatives though, it will most likely end up with one of these.
I don't know if I'm the only one with this problem, but I originally voted for g3pvr - however, having considered the arguments I've read over the last two weeks for and against the two original options, I would now vote for NextPVR (popular name nPVR) - it's version proof, no reference to GB (or NZ or anyplace else :)) and it's a PVR. I just googled NextPVR and the top two results were for the forum...

PS The best I could come up with was FreePVR, but it looks like some squatter has got it...

re-Barr
2010-10-03, 04:39 AM
um... doing a google search on NextPVR as steeb suggested I found this link
http://www.systemexplorer.net/fileinfo2/nextpvr.exe.html

where it states that nextpvr.exe is a microsoft product. But I can't find much past that... I see one other link that references ms' nextpvr but that is all can anyone confirm a nextpvr.exe in Win 7?

stustunz
2010-10-03, 07:28 AM
mypvr

7ore
2010-10-03, 08:39 AM
I see one other link that references ms' nextpvr but that is all can anyone confirm a nextpvr.exe in Win 7?

I did a search on my win7, and found a "NEXTPVR.EXE-B1FD80ED.pf" in the C:\Windows\Prefetch library.

McBainUK
2010-10-03, 08:42 AM
To be honest I dont know. I'll most likely end up going with the g3pvr which proved most popular in the poll.

I don't know if I'm the only one with this problem, but I originally voted for g3pvr - however, having considered the arguments I've read over the last two weeks for and against the two original options, I would now vote for NextPVR (popular name nPVR) - it's version proof, no reference to GB (or NZ or anyplace else :)) and it's a PVR.
Sub, would you consider a repoll?

McBainUK
2010-10-03, 08:44 AM
I did a search on my win7, and found a "NEXTPVR.EXE-B1FD80ED.pf" in the C:\Windows\Prefetch library.
Isn't that just the prefetch copy of the NPVR exe..?

7ore
2010-10-03, 09:37 AM

Yep, probably is. Initially I thought the folder were for ms stuff, but it seems to be other stuff as well.

And I too have considered the arguments, and lean towards NextPVR as a better name than g3pvr (the one I initially voted for)...

shaunpatrick77
2010-10-03, 11:22 AM
g3pvr just sounds messy to me, almost like it's a dyslexic 3G phone app. NextPVR is much cleaner and easier to remember, and/or google.

Just my 2 cents!

re-Barr
2010-10-03, 02:34 PM

The website said it was @ %PROGRAMFILES%\N DVR\NextPVR.exe

If you redo the poll add substation so that I can vote for it. I still like blue sky but could get behind substation because it makes me think of the clients or "substations".

johnsonx42
2010-10-03, 09:59 PM
I would also suggest re-running the poll (with additional choices or not as you see fit). I think a few opinions have changed since the initial vote. For myself my opinion has only gotten stronger in the same direction I first voted (I was slightly in favor of NextPVR over G3PVR, but now I strongly favor NextPVR and distinctly dislike G3PVR), but I see several people posting that they would change their vote.

steeb
2010-10-03, 11:29 PM
I would also suggest re-running the poll (with additional choices or not as you see fit). I think a few opinions have changed since the initial vote. For myself my opinion has only gotten stronger in the same direction I first voted (I was slightly in favor of NextPVR over G3PVR, but now I strongly favor NextPVR and distinctly dislike G3PVR), but I see several people posting that they would change their vote.

As you are in no hurry Sub

I'm not in any hurry, and dont need to decide right now.

Would a re-poll be an answer?

If not then it would surely be G3PVR according to the poll results? And how long will this poll keep going just another month? And apart from a few dedicated members how much of this thread is being read anyway now that it has gone over 20 page posts? :D

soccerdad
2010-10-04, 01:57 AM
I would now revote to NextPVR. I originally voted for G3, but now really dislike it. Go figure. Media Substation is also cool.

Azimuth
2010-10-04, 08:08 AM
Sub, I also like SubStation.
you could register mysubstation as a domain.

Azimuth
2010-10-04, 08:11 AM
additionally sspvr is available for registration if you wanted something short for a domain to go with substation.

Barsk
2010-10-04, 08:18 AM
Yes, I consider the original poll a descision between two options I did not really like, and it lacked the "I prefer neither of these" option that I would have chosen. So it' s like in the game of statistics. You get the outcome that you read into it...

My suggestion would be a re-poll with some of the options given that you Sub feel is right for you. It is your product, not ours. Surely there are some choices that are more appealing than others and those would qualify. I would not mind if the list got long. And do include the "I prefer neither of these" choice tooo.
And then of course, the final call is yours even if the vote points in another direction.

And I got another suggestion for a name too. If nothing else it good for a laugh. Since you had that earthquake nearby, why not go for EpicenterPVR. The PVR that really shakes your ground! :D

whurlston
2010-10-07, 10:58 PM
um... doing a google search on NextPVR as steeb suggested I found this link
http://www.systemexplorer.net/fileinfo2/nextpvr.exe.html

where it states that nextpvr.exe is a microsoft product. But I can't find much past that... I see one other link that references ms' nextpvr but that is all can anyone confirm a nextpvr.exe in Win 7?

In the original builds, sub had not changed the default Name/Company data for the compiler. Visual Studio uses "Microsoft" as the default.

drugstore_cowboy
2010-10-08, 03:28 AM
I like nextpvr over the G3pvr but also really like the name Substation - good luck on choosing ;)

iggyoggy
2010-10-08, 06:13 AM
changing my vote from G3pvr to substation

7ore
2010-10-08, 07:12 AM
I really don't like substation.
Aside for the fact that substation.com is in use, the name gives me associations to programs and sites for downloading subtitles. And there are a lot of those and most have "sub" somwhere in their name: sublight, divxstation - subtitles, subscene etc.

moymike
2010-10-08, 06:45 PM
How about "GBPVR". Version 2.0?

"G3PVR" doesn't reallly make much sense to me. The "netPRV" or "nextPVR" are okay, but I kind of like sticking with the brand name I have become accustomed with.

My vote is to keep "GBPVR".

sub
2010-10-08, 07:12 PM
How about "GBPVR". Version 2.0?

"G3PVR" doesn't reallly make much sense to me. The "netPRV" or "nextPVR" are okay, but I kind of like sticking with the brand name I have become accustomed with.

My vote is to keep "GBPVR".As mentioned earlier in the thread, there are ownership issues with the GBPVR (software and name) which is why I wrote the entirely new application, and we need a new name to go with the new software.

re-Barr
2010-10-09, 01:10 AM
In the original builds, sub had not changed the default Name/Company data for the compiler. Visual Studio uses "Microsoft" as the default.

AH thanks for the clarification.

steeb
2010-10-09, 01:25 AM
This is torture Sub.

Are you going to close the vote?

How long will you keep it running?

Are you going for a re-poll?

When will you decide :D

paf077
2010-10-09, 01:59 AM
Ok Sub opw about GBEEC? for GB EASY ENTERTAINMENT CENTER. Or GBBEC GB Best Entertainment Center?

Just my offering to alternative names. Seeing I'm from Quebec, my mind is wired differently than most. :)

Paf

sub
2010-10-09, 02:50 AM
This is torture Sub.

Are you going to close the vote?No, I'm not going to do anything about it at this stage. I'm still thinking about what to do, and we're still getting the occasional useful comment in this thread.

How long will you keep it running?Undecided at this stage.

Are you going for a re-poll?No - its too hard to pick alternative options. There didnt appear to be any well supported alternatives in among the names other users suggested.

When will you decide :DI'll decide when I decide. :D

To be honest, I've found the process of picking a new name particularly painful. There is a good chance I'm going to nothing, and just leave the name as nextpvr.

steeb
2010-10-09, 03:03 AM
No, I'm not going to do anything about it at this stage. I'm still thinking about what to do, and we're still getting the occasional useful comment in this thread.

Really? I haven't seen that from your comments....

Undecided at this stage.

Great, helps all of us

No - its too hard to pick alternative options. There didnt appear to be any well supported alternatives in among the names other users suggested.

How could there be? This thread is soooooo long and as you know much repition, ooooh I like GB-PVR etc

I'll decide when I decide. :D

Nice. But I think you've decided already

To be honest, I've found the process of picking a new name particularly painful. There is a good chance I'm going to nothing, and just leave the name as nextpvr.

Exactly. So then just do it. This is getting really boring and losing time.

Humph

Steeb

ACTCMS
2010-10-09, 03:04 AM
To be honest, I've found the process of picking a new name particularly painful. There is a good chance I'm going to nothing, and just leave the name as nextpvr.+1

sub
2010-10-09, 03:11 AM
steeb, I'm not sure why you're so worried about it. I've already said I'm in no hurry. Personally I'm still getting something out of thread - every couple of days there is a new post with some useful words of wisdom. I'm also very busy with day job stuff recently, and dont need the distraction of trying to rename the project right now.

Jaggy
2010-10-09, 03:15 AM
There is a good chance I'm going to nothing, and just leave the name as nextpvr.

Even though I voted for G3PVR I have never had a problem with "NextPVR" (when it is done like this)

I have always had a problem with NPVR for the main names for the forums etc. as it leads users to use NPVR instead of NextPVR but if we basically stuck to calling it NextPVR I wouldn't have a problem with some users shortening it to npvr. Does that sort of make some small amount of sense to anybody as it is rather hard to put into print?

steeb
2010-10-09, 03:21 AM
While I think of my a missive response to Sub!

What would you tell friends etc Jaggy?

NextPVR, NPVR? Let 'em google it?

steeb
2010-10-09, 03:25 AM
steeb, I'm not sure why you're so worried about it.

I'll break that down into separate responses, may be easier and save wasting time. I'm not worried. Concerned may be the word. I really don't know what goes on in your head Sub and if it was that simple as NextPVR why even put it to a poll in the first place?

johnsonx42
2010-10-09, 03:46 AM
I'll break that down into separate responses, may be easier and save wasting time. I'm not worried. Concerned may be the word. I really don't know what goes on in your head Sub and if it was that simple as NextPVR why even put it to a poll in the first place?
good grief steeb, I think sub is telling you to just let it go for awhile

steeb
2010-10-09, 03:50 AM
good grief steeb, I think sub is telling you to just let it go for awhile

Good call, I'll let it go again :D

Jaggy
2010-10-09, 04:03 AM
What would you tell friends etc Jaggy?

NextPVR, NPVR? Let 'em google it?

Definitely "NextPVR" & googling it should bring up the main page once there is one.

cathrynm
2010-10-16, 11:28 PM
Because everything starts off the 'next new thing' but after many years though no fault of its own becomes the 'last old thing'. I suggest you pick one feature, that is the thing that is most important about this release, abbreviate that, and then append pvr.

steeb
2010-10-16, 11:52 PM
Because everything starts off the 'next new thing' but after many years though no fault of its own becomes the 'last old thing'. I suggest you pick one feature, that is the thing that is most important about this release, abbreviate that, and then append pvr.

Great words of wisdom. And there was me thinking this thread was dead. How about it was called 'Last PVR'? Then the Next would never get old. And Last could never get older. In my own clunky way I've been trying to say this all along. But what is important about this new release as opposed to it being 'New' or 'Next'?

Steeb

steeb
2010-10-17, 01:25 AM
for fear of rocking the boat again I'm going to (simply because I have nothing better to do on a Saturday night :D )

Personally I'm still not sure about the 'PVR' thing. I can understand why not an 'MC' ('Media Centre' thing) but I would have thought given Sub's whole new approach to this it really is a 'DVR' not a 'PVR'

Surely the philosophy behind NPVR has been digital? Therefore DVR?

Some people liked 'BlueSky' as a possibility. Blue is default skin. Sky maybe not so good as BSkyB may have something to say about it!

BlueMoon was a rubbish suggestion of mine :D

Digital Heavens

BlueStarDVR?

I really know it doesn't mean anything but if Sub has kept the thread open........

whurlston
2010-10-17, 02:28 AM
PVR = Personal Video Recorder.
DVR = Digital Video Recorder.

Basically, they are the same thing. My point about moving away from PVR/DVR was that this software is so much more than just a P/Dvr now. It's my entire media hub.

steeb
2010-10-17, 02:43 AM
PVR = Personal Video Recorder.
DVR = Digital Video Recorder.

Basically, they are the same thing. My point about moving away from PVR/DVR was that this software is so much more than just a P/Dvr now. It's my entire media hub.

Absolutely. But having read through this thread now from start to finish, many many times it seems Sub just seems to like PVR?

I have pointed out that I use nothing other than GB-PVR to fuel my whole Media Experience at home. I'm not a tinkerer dipping into MP, XBMC, Sage etc. GB-PVR has been the whole experience at home for 4 years now. And N-PVR is about to replace that. BUT I just think 'NextPVR' is lame as a name.

Media Hub, Media Station yes this is surely better than PVR or DVR?

But Sub no like this stuff!

Steeb

Loomy
2010-10-18, 01:42 AM
I haven't used this new software yet, but I'm logging in to say that "PVR" is a deprecated term in the english language, and will never be commonly used again. "PVR" might as well be random characters like "VLC", as far as normal people are concerned.

Something like "g3hub" would make more sense to regular people, because at least one of the terms in it is recognizable.

nextv, g3tv, newtv, mytv... we'll be lucky if people are still saying "TV" in ten years, but at least it makes sense today.

That said, NPVR looks kind of cool to me, like a secret branch of the government that makes people disappear

andematt
2010-10-20, 04:29 AM
I always found GBPVR a bit clumsy to say. It;s too many letters in an acronym without making a word. When I have told people about it the name was difficult to remember so I was always sending them a link. (not that that is a problem)

Haven't read to the end of this thread yet so I'm not sure if something has already been decided but this is exactly what I wanted to say and think it is important for you to consider sub. Many times while talking about "dvr" setups at work or where ever I've noted how, although it does roll of the tongue alright, it is just a little too long in conversation. Not having a better idea I'd probably go with NextPVR. Although, NextVR (probably NVR in the forums) would be nice (I see google searches aren't the best - nextvr is ok but nvr is definitely taken) as I don't see the need for Personal anymore - video recorder would be sufficient.
my two cents.

johnsonx42
2010-10-20, 04:36 AM
VR is already pretty well equated to "Virtual Reality". PVR may not be perfectly descriptive, but most people know what it is.

andematt
2010-10-20, 05:23 AM
VR is already pretty well equated to "Virtual Reality". PVR may not be perfectly descriptive, but most people know what it is.

Yeah, I'm plenty familiar with that term and I won't disagree (much) mainly because I didn't think NVR was the best anyways (and I'm still appreciative of your help this weekend ;-)) but I would like it if the brainstorm stayed toward the shorter, more clever, more recognizable names/abbreviations. Although I don't care for BlueSky or BlueMoon I think this is a great piece of software that could take on a name similar in concept to those that isn't blatantly descriptive and people would pick it up just fine. AGAIN, even in saying all of this I don't have any better ideas right now and would still choose NextPVR.

liteswap
2010-10-20, 09:07 AM
For what it's worth (and I'm sorry if I'm treading on anyone's corns) but NextPVR is lame and sounds as if the author (and, by association, the product) lacks imagination. And the objections raised earlier about 'Next' pretty soon becoming 'Last' (and the problem of where you go after 'Next') torpedoes this option. Sub, whatever you do, please don't choose NextPVR or one of its variants.

ShiningDragon
2010-10-26, 04:47 AM
My vote again:

This time with logo. :D

johnsonx42
2010-10-26, 07:32 AM
Well you know I'm in agreement with NextPVR, and that's a nice logo... but if the logo looks like that wouldn't we have to call it "neXtPVR" and "XPVR"? That's isn't too bad actually, but is that what you're going for?

ShiningDragon
2010-10-26, 02:10 PM
Ok, of course the logo isn't offical, finished or anything like this. But i call myself nPVR from 1st day on "neXt PVR". Perhaps it has something to do with my shop, i onced had: "neXt-Com" (Callshop, InternetCafé, PC and Copy Shop). I like the word "neXt" and you're right: This logo suggests "X PVR". I am not sure, if this were good.

To give something a name and makes all people heavy seems to be a hard task for sub. ^.^

Barsk
2010-10-26, 02:16 PM
Well, my mind took another loop and out came:

PvrCenter
or
PvrCentre

The name associates to both the PVR functionality and the (media) center functionality.
Another name in line with the "hub" naming and with nods to Blue as the default skin is: SkyHub
or what about ShinyPVR? Something to make a logo for... :)

ShiningDragon
2010-10-26, 05:42 PM
Mhm, hub could be problematic because of its many meanings in german: http://dict.leo.org/ende?lp=ende&lang=de&searchLoc=0&cmpType=relaxed&sectHdr=on&spellToler=&search=hub

roy
2010-10-26, 07:51 PM
I actually think I like XPVR. Rolls off the tongue well, like 'Excalibur'.

xPVR, X-PVR

Barsk
2010-10-26, 10:19 PM
In practice any name you come up with will have a translation in some foreign language. One name that would be quite good is MediaHub. But google for it and you will find lots and lots of uses. Domain name taken too. So hub is fairly common and used.

Barsk
2010-10-27, 08:11 AM
Ok, I'll rest a while after this. But I just came up with another alternative. In line with Sub's goals of this program being about TV viewing and recording first and foremost.

TvCentric

DennyS
2010-10-27, 10:15 PM
PrimePVR

Of course PPVR makes the 6 year old in me giggle.

SWK
2010-10-28, 08:47 AM
Hi, sorry for the late reply.

How about iPvr - just kidding.

What about 3gpvr, nxpvr or ngpvr?

Apologises if any of these have already been suggested.

Sean

steeb
2010-11-18, 12:12 AM
Is this thread dead?

Has Sub decided?

Could perhaps be a bit annoying for anyone trying to document this great new software what the name is:

g3pvr as per poll result?
'NextPVR' or NPVR or npvr or nPVR?

Has it been decided at last?

If not decided my last ditch attempt. (Does not involve Sub's name (sorry) )

Taking everything on board, I still think with beta 'NPVR' we moved from a PVR to a DVR and some say this is less of a media centre (or center) and more of a TV thing, which it probably is before adding all the great plugins etc supplied by the community....

mytvdvr

mytvdvr.com

short sweet simple and available I think (did check) (and gives the linux boys a run for their money of you know what I mean ;) )

Steeb

sub
2010-11-18, 12:20 AM
Has Sub decided?No, he has put it in the 'too hard basket'.

Those two seem a bit too 'mythtv'