PDA

View Full Version : Possible N-PVR Wiki

steeb
2010-07-22, 02:09 PM
Dear all,

firstly apologies if there has been some confusion over all the talk of a new N-PVR wiki. I think the release of N-PVR caught some by surprise (certainly me!) as it appears to be dramatically different from its predecessors. I could not see how a lot of documentation pertaining to N-PVR would sit (and work) well alongside the current wiki content.

I don't think what was grasped was the need for an immediate solution for the developers wishing to publish new content related to N-PVR.

I have created here: http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/N-PVR/N-PVR

a new group as N-PVR (don't know if I should have called it N-PVR, I have seen many permutations!)

Perhaps a downside is that it really does demand for the creation of new content as in effect it is a possible start of a new wiki solely for N-PVR, the upsides are that it leaves the existing wiki intact for GB-PVR as it is, it is a 'clean slate' and is easily portable to any future 'new wiki'.

Is this perhaps the way to go?
If so for me the first questions would be about structure, specifically for now 'plugins' and 'skins' in which case what would be the best way to approach this, through a poll or just from comments?

best cheers

Steeb

Fatman_do
2010-07-22, 05:01 PM
The left menu may need a different organizational structure to help separate the two. How does one know where to go for skins and plugins for N-PVR, ect.

Maybe the main page should be a "fork" page? Looking for GBPVR, click here, Looking for N-PVR, click here. Those take you to new "Start Pages" for each application. Wiki magic would have to be applied to get the left menus to be application specific.

steeb
2010-07-22, 08:10 PM
Hiya Fatman_do

The left menu may need a different organizational structure to help separate the two. How does one know where to go for skins and plugins for N-PVR, ect.

I included a 'link' to N-PVR in the left menu, perhaps I could have placed it in a more visible place? In theory (he said with fingers crossed!) by creating a new group for N-PVR we can now place any links we like to newly created pages for skins/plugins within the new N-PVR group under that N-PVR link exactly as we would have with the existing wiki. However they would all be N-PVR specific and contained within the N-PVR group which in effect means what will be created is a totally separate N-PVR wiki within the existing wiki! If that makes sense, I'm not too great at explaining myself sometimes.

Maybe the main page should be a "fork" page? Looking for GBPVR, click here, Looking for N-PVR, click here. Those take you to new "Start Pages" for each application. Wiki magic would have to be applied to get the left menus to be application specific.

I was a bit previous here too and re-wrote the blurb at the top of the main page to point to what is in effect an N-PVR homepage as per link at start of thread. What I do not know is whether wiki magic can be worked so that once entering the N-PVR section the GB-PVR stuff could disappear or this could be confusing for even if you were on the N-PVR homepage if you looked left you would see skins/etc but of course these would be referring to GB-PVR stuff, the new skins section would only appear under the N-PVR link?! Once again I hope that makes sense?

Steeb

steeb
2010-07-22, 08:53 PM
What I do not know is whether wiki magic can be worked so that once entering the N-PVR section the GB-PVR stuff could disappear or this could be confusing for even if you were on the N-PVR homepage if you looked left you would see skins/etc but of course these would be referring to GB-PVR stuff, the new skins section would only appear under the N-PVR link?! Once again I hope that makes sense?

Actually, as usual, I realise how rubbish my posts are :(

In my haste to find a way for the devs to find a new wiki home for their N-PVR creations I haven't said everything! I didn't mean to with-hold information really, just wanted to see if there were takers for this idea before putting time & effort into helping create it.

What I should have added!

By creating N-PVR as a group it holds itself in a separate folder on the wiki and therefore everything contained within it can become a 'wiki' within itself. By creation of this 'group' there is another stage possible within pmwiki which is to create a 'farm', in essence this means that 2 entirely separate wikis can co-exist on the same server but with 2 separate identities i.e. ...../pmwiki/gbpvr and ...../pmwiki/N-PVR

But in order to achieve the 'farm' this does require ftp access to sub's server and some 'tweaking' of pmwiki config.php etc.

So if we went with N-PVR 'group' on the wiki for now, in the long term it in effect does become a separate wiki with no need to worry about different nav issues etc

I bet I've done it again and just confused everything, I do hope not!

best

Steeb

steeb
2010-07-26, 12:37 AM
Dear all,

I feel my life is complete now :D

Seriously, have done my last bit of tweaking with this for now, possible N-PVR wiki seems to work and it is set up as before here: http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/N-PVR/N-PVR

Even has its own sidebar navigation!

I know I may have come across a bit grumpy with my posts in the recent few weeks but only 'cos I love the wiki and wanted to protect the current one yet find a way forward.

I understand if 'my ideas' may not wash, but hey I always said anyone taking on board a new wiki would have an uphill struggle ;)

Very best

Steeb

mvallevand
2010-07-26, 12:58 AM
I'm writing documentation for my next NPVR plugin and I can tell you categorically that I will not add everything needed to make it to that page. It will be available from the Television Plugins page on the GBPVR forum as well on the maintained Plugin list.

Martin

Jaggy
2010-07-26, 01:05 AM
I think that is just the main page for it as he did say

So to me that sounds like it going to expand from there........

steeb
2010-07-26, 01:13 AM
Hiya Martin

I'm writing documentation for my next NPVR plugin and I can tell you categorically that I will not add everything needed to make it to that page. It will be available from the Television Plugins page on the GBPVR forum as well on the maintained Plugin list.

I think I've read your post right here :D

I really need to work on my posts! And the way I write them!

What would you need to 'make it to that page'? Or are you saying you just wouldn't?

As per another post I replied to you with, current wiki enables you to do whatever you like, BUT even if you link to 'maintained plugin' list I can't see that anyone is working on a 'maintained' list compatible with N-PVR on the current wiki. I wish they were and then I would simply be shush!

The current wiki simply cannot handle the change between GB-PVR and N-PVR without defeating everybody?

very best

Steeb

steeb
2010-07-26, 01:17 AM
I think that is just the main page for it as he did say

So to me that sounds like it going to expand from there........

Thanks Jaggy, as usual I say my posts are rubbish, but Mrs Steeb always says I talk about stuff like everyone knows what I'm talking about, even though I've rushed ahead 40 places!

Quite correct, what I have shown is a main page for N-PVR, we work onwards and upwards from this, if community wants!

cheers

Steeb

steeb
2010-07-26, 02:00 AM

Hi Martin,

now I think I really understand. This is just a homepage for possible N-PVR wiki, as per old wiki all skins/plugins etc etc etc would have individual pages! I can't act without the community agreeing to layout, and in fact wouldn't want to. But I have worked very hard at trying to find a solution for wiki things..........

very best

Steeb

steeb
2010-07-26, 02:43 AM
Dear all,

I really think I have played with this enough now! I wouldn't want to add any more pages without feedback :D

Just to make sure what I showed was an example of a starting page, just like the old wiki this can be populated as we like. I always thought it wasn't quite clear for some newbies that 'plugins' 'skins' and 'utilities' were actually 3rd party enhancements, so as a demonstration they are now under that placement on the possible N-PVR example wiki in the left nav:

http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/N-PVR/N-PVR

Cheers

Steeb

mvallevand
2010-07-26, 03:06 AM
Steeb I will write up my plugin after the next NPVR betat and then we can see what the wiki issues are.

Martin

steeb
2010-07-26, 03:20 AM
Martin, your inbox is full ;)

mvallevand
2010-07-26, 03:55 AM
I did get your PM, I want to see if the world is turned upside down if I take the simple approach on the GBPVR wiki. I also don't want to waste a lot of time discussing this further, feel free to move it around afterwards if you want.

Martin

steeb
2010-07-26, 03:58 AM
Thanks Martin, superb, I'll keep an eye out!

Hairy
2010-07-26, 11:02 AM
I'm a little surprised at the general reaction steeb is getting, to the enthusiasm he is showing, for wanting to make some changes.

When nPVR does reach a more final stage, I feel it should have a new webpage and a new wiki, it is after all a new application. I believe that any new wiki should be aimed at those folks that don't frequent the forums regularly.

sub, I completely respect that you are focused on getting nPVR, as an application, where you would like it to be. I do feel that it would be helpful if you weighed in on this one. Do you envisage a new wiki for nPVR? or do you feel that the current infrastructure can handle any new information/community created content?

Cheers

pcostanza
2010-07-26, 12:30 PM
I feel a new NPVR wiki is in order. The app is different enough to warrant one.

mvallevand
2010-07-26, 01:22 PM
It makes no sense for me to add one link on a main NPVR page to my plugin. Nothing on this page http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Plugin/TelevisionPlugins screams "GB-PVR" so that is why I thought I'd try it to see how it works.

Hairy I agree that steeb has done a lot of great work, but no one has done anything for the NPVR wiki but I've read a lot of posts from people saying they won't (and I am one of those) so I am looking for a compromise until it is a useful tool.

Martin

steeb
2010-07-26, 02:00 PM
Hi Martin,

It makes no sense for me to add one link on a main NPVR page to my plugin.

this was not my suggestion, my suggestion was to find the correct navigational structure so that you could have a completely new home for your N-PVR compatible plugin within an N-PVR wiki eg. .....//gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/N-PVR/Thirdparty/Plugins/Plugins/'Yourpluginname'

Nothing on this page http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/P...evisionPlugins screams "GB-PVR" so that is why I thought I'd try it to see how it works.

Quite right, there is no reason not to put your plugin in this category and nothing indeed screams either GB-PVR or N-PVR but a link from this page to your new plugin will still take you to the plugin section on the existing GB-PVR wiki.

Also from the page you quoted (http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Plugin/TelevisionPlugins) you are only 2 mouse clicks away from this:

http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Plugin/Plugin#toc4

and one further click away from this:

http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Config/Plugins

which from what I can see bears no relation to N-PVR at all. So how will a new user understand it?

very best

Steeb

Hairy
2010-07-26, 03:32 PM
Martin, I want to stress I wasn't having a pop at you. I have just been a little surprised at the general response to steeb's enthusiasm over, granted, 4 threads (get on with it steeb :D). Overall it just seems do-able to me, to get something - anything rolling.

------

So here is my wiki page for "Wave": http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/N-PVR/Wave.

Steeb if you could just double check that I haven't made a mess. I'm definitely gonna need a beginners course from you :).

Here is my 2c on what we need to take it forward:

A short blurb on the main gbpvr wiki page explaining that sub had started from scratch with a new application (so existing stuff won't work with nPVR).
A short blurb on the nPVR wiki section, introducing the app and stressing it's (and any third party community contributions) beta nature.
Links to sections in the leftbar (I couldn't work out how the hell to do this).

I'm happy to try an spit ball the language, I'm just a little rubbish at knowing where to start.

Hopefully, off it goes from there. With the added benefit of being able to copy and paste any content added during the beta phase to any new/official/separate nPVR wiki.

mvallevand
2010-07-26, 05:14 PM
Also from the page you quoted (http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Plugin/TelevisionPlugins) you are only 2 mouse clicks away from this:

http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Plugin/Plugin#toc4

I think users know enough about hyperlinking to deal with this. I don't worry too much about the ads for bed-wetting solutions I see on the forums.gbpvr.com. It's the pee in PVR I guess.

Martin

steeb
2010-07-26, 05:50 PM
Steeb if you could just double check that I haven't made a mess. I'm definitely gonna need a beginners course from you

Certainly not a mess and great to see a 'starter'! We would need to look at overall structure before too many pages get added though to preserve the integrity of a correct structure. You have added Wave as a page at the top of the group directory for N-PVR whereas it should really be in a 'skin' group within the N-PVR group directory, but you couldn't do that because that group doesn't exist yet :D

Think of a group as a folder, I have created the folder N-PVR, from this point anything created within:

http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/N-PVR/

will be inside the N-PVR folder, so the pages you created here:

http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/N-PVR/Skins

and here:

http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/N-PVR/Wave

is just a page at the top level of the N-PVR folder.

but we need to do some housekeeping ;) otherwise that folder will just become full of random pages all to do with N-PVR but with no ability to keep track of them. So we need a filesystem to keep everything tidy. The best way to do this will be to put more folders inside the N-PVR folder, giving them specific names, hence something like:

.....//gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/N-PVR/Skins/Skins (I don't give proper URL here otherwise if you click on it as a wiki author it will be created!!!)

this way all skins will now be inside the folder (group) skins which in turn is inside the folder (group) N-PVR, wrapping everything up nicely and making it fairly seamless to shift this wiki around wherever it may go in the future. (The current wiki works on exactly the same principle)

What would need to be decided is how this folder structure may work best.

I do hope you take this for what it is which is 100% positive criticism :D Fantastic to see some content up there!

Links to sections in the leftbar (I couldn't work out how the hell to do this).

In the words of Fatman_do 'wiki magic' ;)

very best

Steeb

imilne
2010-07-26, 06:28 PM
I'm willing to take a stab at writing up my System plugin for nPVR. Obviously it would go in plugins, but should we be subdividing beyond that again like GBPVR did with the different types of plugin (even though there aren't that many plugins yet)?

I'm obviously missing how to log in (or register) for the wiki though, as my forum username/password doesn't work.

Iain

sub
2010-07-26, 06:54 PM
sub, I completely respect that you are focused on getting nPVR, as an application, where you would like it to be. I do feel that it would be helpful if you weighed in on this one. Do you envisage a new wiki for nPVR? or do you feel that the current infrastructure can handle any new information/community created content?I dont mind if its done in the current wiki with an alternate contents page, or new wiki, but I would like to see a wiki just discussing NPVR stuff with a link to the old legacy GBPVR wiki information. I'm effectively killing GBPVR, and I'd prefer not having info about it mixed in with the current stuff - giving the user's the incorrect impression that this older stuff is being maintained etc. The links on the website will be pretty quickly be changed to point to the NPVR contents page.

At the rate we're going so far, it isnt going to take long for most people to be using NPVR, and at that stage the old wiki info will start to become a thorn in our side if its all mixed in together.

steeb
2010-07-26, 07:26 PM
Hi Iain

I'm willing to take a stab at writing up my System plugin for nPVR. Obviously it would go in plugins, but should we be subdividing beyond that again like GBPVR did with the different types of plugin (even though there aren't that many plugins yet)?

please see my previous post to Hairy about structure, I cannot emphasise enough how important it is to get this correct right from the start! So you are totally right to be thinking about this.

I'm obviously missing how to log in (or register) for the wiki though, as my forum username/password doesn't work.

The wiki uses a separate log in from the forums, contact blader_se and he shall provide your wish!

http://forums.gbpvr.com/member.php?u=2848

cheers

Steeb

Hairy
2010-07-26, 08:19 PM
You have added Wave as a page at the top of the group directory for N-PVR whereas it should really be in a 'skin' group within the N-PVR group directory, but you couldn't do that because that group doesn't exist yet :D

That's what I thought from reading the beginners guide on the pmwiki site. I was trying to place the wave page inside the skins folder. I was afraid I'd left a bit of a noob mess :)

What would need to be decided is how this folder structure may work best

Do you have any suggestions? We could concentrate on skins and plugins for now, just as that's where the demand is. ???

Hairy
2010-07-26, 08:22 PM
I dont mind if its done in the current wiki with an alternate contents page, or new wiki, but I would like to see a wiki just discussing NPVR stuff with a link to the old legacy GBPVR wiki information. I'm effectively killing GBPVR, and I'd prefer not having info about it mixed in with the current stuff - giving the user's the incorrect impression that this older stuff is being maintained etc. The links on the website will be pretty quickly be changed to point to the NPVR contents page.

At the rate we're going so far, it isnt going to take long for most people to be using NPVR, and at that stage the old wiki info will start to become a thorn in our side if its all mixed in together.

Cheers sub, I think this will help people focus in on which way to go.

steeb
2010-07-26, 08:32 PM
That's what I thought from reading the beginners guide on the pmwiki site. I was trying to place the wave page inside the skins folder. I was afraid I'd left a bit of a noob mess

Not at all, no mess, just some tidying to do!

Do you have any suggestions? We could concentrate on skins and plugins for now, just as that's where the demand is. ???

I would absolutely concentrate ONLY on Skins/Plugins and perhaps Utilities (If anyone is creating one, I know I've seen a GB-PVR to N-PVR utility or some such on the forums) for now as per my comment at the start of this thread. I will put suggestions forward v soon (just getting the old grey matter churning away to devise a plan :D Back soon :eek:

[Edit]
just getting the old grey matter churning away to devise a plan Back soon

What I should have said is I have many plans just working out the best ones! [/End Edit

best wishes

Steeb

Jaggy
2010-07-26, 10:19 PM
OK here's my .01c worth.

Firstly I really dislike plugins/skins/utilities being under a heading "3rd party additions" for a couple of reasons, it is another unnecessary click to get to them & it makes them hidden away & it is hard enough getting new users to have a play with the tack'ons as it is. Because most users get there first introduction to plugins & skins from the forum & often the messages are negative towards them ie. "if you select the default skin does that fix it" type messages (lets be honest the plugins & skins are what really put the icing on the cake for your PVR) I would like to see more users trying them out. I also really do think sub should add a few instructions to his new release messages to suggest some plugins & skins may be broken until they are updated & to select the default skin before updating etc. etc.

Why not basically set it up like the current wiki is now, after Fatman_do's last modifications to the basic structure it is working well & is fairly new user friendly....isn't it?

steeb
2010-07-26, 10:24 PM
@ Jaggy,

exactly the type of comment needed to drive this forward :D

Steeb

Jaggy
2010-07-26, 10:26 PM
Why not basically set it up like the current wiki is now, after Fatman_do's last modifications to the basic structure it is working well & is fairly new user friendly....isn't it?

I just thought I better make sure it was clear what I meant by this comment.

That is have the NPVR sub wiki setup like the GB-PVR wiki is now.

mvallevand
2010-07-26, 10:30 PM
I take a more drastic approach. I think the old GBPVR wiki should simply morph into the NPVR wiki. Old pages could be updated refreshed etc to reflect new information by new contributors and early adopters if the old guard is reluctant to take the role on. GB-PVR works but it is dead sub doesn't support it (think about it this time last year I remember beta testing 1.4.x. ), "maintained plugins" does not mean it works because Fatman_do has updated a skin, it means the author is around making changes. Most instructions are obsolete and not Win7 compatible. A have not read one post from saying one skin or plugin for GBPVR is even active.

This would happen much more smoothly if people were more accepting of the fact that NPVR is the way to go.

Martin

steeb
2010-07-26, 10:36 PM
I just thought I better make sure it was clear what I meant by this comment.

That is have the NPVR sub wiki setup like the GB-PVR wiki is now.

I am completely clear with your comments, in all awe and respect to what Fatman_do did he is an absolute genius with tinkering 'behind the scenes' to make the wiki system look flawless, I am only suggesting looking at the structure again, now when we have the chance, to see if there may be a better way to structure it so that in essence it functions and looks just like it does now? But from the start?

Excellent debate!

Steeb

sub
2010-07-26, 10:51 PM
OK here's my .01c worth.

Firstly I really dislike plugins/skins/utilities being under a heading "3rd party additions" for a couple of reasons, it is another unnecessary click to get to them & it makes them hidden away & it is hard enough getting new users to have a play with the tack'ons as it is. Yeah, I'd probably get rid of the "3rd part additions" link and just directly have 'Skins', 'Plugins', 'Utilities' instead.

"if you select the default skin does that fix it" type messagesThats not meant to sounds negative, and is a pretty good way to work out whether is skin related or a generic issue in the app. At the end of the day, I dont have time (or energy) to download and install a skin or plugin each time a problem is reported, so its hard for me fault find outside of the default install.

Jaggy
2010-07-26, 11:01 PM
I take a more drastic approach. I think the old GBPVR wiki should simply morph into the NPVR wiki

I think this will happen naturally but not the way you are suggesting "I" feel that would be very confusing & especially so for new users.

What I see happening is NPVR will be a link on the GB-PVR wiki at the moment (it needs to be up the top though not down the bottom) & not too far in the future GB-PVR will be a link on the NPVR wiki.

"maintained plugins" does not mean it works because Fatman_do has updated a skin, it means the author is around making changes.

I agree but I also think as well as maintained we should have a "tested working with 1.x.xx" as for most of us that is actually more important than if it is maintained.

A have not read one post from saying one skin or plugin for GBPVR is even active.

Well my skins are still active & if someone asked for something it would most likely be added, as I am still using 1.4.7 myself & could well be for quite some time I have actually been doing some updating on my GB-PVR "HV" skin anyway (I am undecided if I will release it or not though)

Jaggy
2010-07-26, 11:10 PM
"if you select the default skin does that fix it" type messages

Thats not meant to sounds negative, and is a pretty good way to work out whether is skin related or a generic issue in the app. At the end of the day, I dont have time (or energy) to download and install a skin or plugin each time a problem is reported, so its hard for me fault find outside of the default install.

I wasn't suggesting there was anything wrong with that comment & it is the only practical way to work out if it is a skin or plugin problem, all I know is as a "new user" many moons ago because most of the messages were to me negative towards skins & plugins I was to scared to add any to my PVR in case I broke it..........now look at me developing skins & helping develop plugins....how things change :D
I am not sure there is anyway to change this it is just the nature of a support forum, people message when things go wrong & are quite when everything is working right.

steeb
2010-07-26, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by mvallevand
I take a more drastic approach. I think the old GBPVR wiki should simply morph into the NPVR wiki
I think this will happen naturally but not the way you are suggesting "I" feel that would be very confusing & especially so for new users.

I think I understand Jaggy here if you mean happen naturally by a morph to a new wiki?

Once again Martin, I cannot see how you would like the existing wiki to morph into an N-PVR one without a complete re-write of at least 40% of all the pages and something like 75% of all the categories? N-PVR will naturally take over but I would love to see the person that takes on changing the current wiki to fit it, and keeps everything clarified and everyone sane in the meantime :D

But as I said, I would love to see that person declare themselves now and I would give up on my wiki quest!

Still enjoying the debate :)

Steeb

mvallevand
2010-07-27, 12:31 AM
Never mind, I don't want to rock the boat anymore. Being a fan of sub's work, I want to do my best to make NPVR a success even if it meant "throwing away" a product that is as stellar as PVRx2. I'll be quiet now and go back to documenting in the forums the way I prefer anyway. That way you guys build the wiki without my interference.

Martin

steeb
2010-07-27, 12:48 AM
That way you guys build the wiki without my interference.

You may call it interference, I don't, and anyway I don't know why I'm pushing this new wiki as I'm still on PVRX2 and won't be shifting for ages! Not with my MVP's that work with live TV :cool:

I can't see anyone in a better place to help with new documentation than you.

Actually I do know why I keep pushing for N-PVR wiki, so that PVRX2 wiki can live on, unblemished, and not get chopped about, I think I said this before somewhere else! Too many people spent too much time getting it pretty spot on, now why lose that?!

Let's not lose it, preservation I say, GB-PVR wiki intact, new wiki for N-PVR?

I personally would love you to get on board with any idea on new documentation, if only because I would love to see the plugin you're working on ;)

Steeb

Jaggy
2010-07-27, 01:00 AM
steeb that's a rather large contradiction
I'm still on PVRX2 and won't be shifting for ages!
if only because I would love to see the plugin you're working on

without using NPVR you are not going to see those plugins ;)

Seriously I think the important thing now is to get the new wiki pages up & running "like NOW" so they can be used by both developers & users alike.

stustunz
2010-07-27, 01:01 AM
i cant see why the home page for wiki just doesnt have two links one for gbpvr and for npvr
why is that so hard am i missing something

steeb
2010-07-27, 01:21 AM
i cant see why the home page for wiki just doesnt have two links one for gbpvr and for npvr

You're not missing anything, I set up a simple example of this over a week ago with a header at the top of current wiki. You tell me what you think is missing and if no dissent to your POV anything is achievable, after all only words!

Steeb

steeb
2010-07-27, 01:39 AM
I've been dying to respond to this Jaggy! Well actually I hope not dying!

steeb that's a rather large contradiction

That's me an enigma!

I'm still on PVRX2 and won't be shifting for ages! if only because I would love to see the plugin you're working on

without using NPVR you are not going to see those plugins

Well I would at least know what I was being offered to make my N-PVR experience even better! By helping to create N-PVR wiki, then I would understand it better!

I refer to a fairly recent but old post of mine:

http://forums.gbpvr.com//showthread.php?47105-N-PVR-Wiki&p=380540#post380540

Seriously I think the important thing now is to get the new wiki pages up & running "like NOW" so they can be used by both developers & users alike.

Absolutely, and I think we may be getting close now, this has gone round and round, and let's face it who actually put the initial pages up there (with some prompting from a few sacred wiki elves), me, I really don't want to waste any more time with the community going round and round in endless discussions, there's a nice tight knit group here now discussing this and I am very open to all suggestions but I think just needs to be 'pushed forward'.

still enjoying this debate!

Steeb

stustunz
2010-07-27, 02:00 AM
The main page should have no other links but
1>gbpvr and 2>npvr
Then when you click on one you get either the links for gbpvr or the links for npvr
(very simple no flashy crap to confuse people)

At present the links are all on the left still. They need to be gone on the home page.
People need only 2 options otherwise you will still get the mess that you are talking about
2 options with a picture of the home screen default home screen from gbpvr and the default home screen of npvr
as these are the screens people will see first when they install the program and run it for the first time

but i dont think npvr should get its own new wiki

steeb
2010-07-27, 02:17 AM
Hi stustunz,

never forget you were one of the people that said 'do it'!

So I 'dun it :D

Let's work this through in the debate:

the main page should have no other links but gbpvr and npvr

Do you really mean this? I mean I or anyone could just delete the main page and just say 'GB-PVR here'. 'N-PVR here'.

Or are you referring to the sidebar nav?

then when you click on one you get either the links for gbpvr or the links for npvr
very simple no flashy crap to confuse people

I think you are referring to the sidebar nav?

at present the links are all on the left still they need to be gone on the home page
people need only 2 options otherwise you will still get the mess that you are talking about
2 options with a picture of the home screen default home screen from gbpvr and the homescreen of npvr

In fact I'm sure you are and if this is the case I think your's is the best suggestion so far?

but i dont think npvr should get its own new wiki

I don't 'think' it should, but I cannot see how else to do it. How would you integrate current GB-PVR wiki with N-PVR? And not make the 'mess' that came with PVRX2 even more complex by introducing N-PVR that as its core has a whole different configuration set up?

Steeb

stustunz
2010-07-27, 02:47 AM
ive just thought it through some more and forget what i said
its not going to work because eventually gbpvr wont really be used
so instead I think maybe for now my option above would work
But in the future say 3 months it should change again (or now)
the main page should be all npvr
and if you want to get to gbpvr it should be a link on the left at the bottom

Link something like "legacy gbpvr" which matches the forum
lets face it who looks up stuff from gbpvr since it changed to pvrx2

now i see why its going around in circles lol

steeb
2010-07-27, 03:18 AM
now i see why its going around in circles

How's that song go? 'like a circle within a circle like a wheel within a wheel.....'

:D

ive just thought it through some more and forget what i said
its not going to work because eventually gbpvr wont really be used

It won't, Martin said this, Sub has backed it up, and a few others, however I'm a sad old git that will hold onto GB-PVR and my MVP's until I can afford NMT's to replace them all! Having said that I know this is going to happen sooner rather than later!

so instead I think maybe for now my option above would work

It could and why not so!

But in the future say 3 months it should change again (or now)
the main page should be all npvr
and if you want to get to gbpvr it should be a link on the left at the bottom

I'll take that in 1 bite! Or is that byte? For now I think everything should point at GB-PVR while a wiki for N-PVR is in its infancy. N-PVR is in its beta stage for now, so is a possible wiki. For now GB-PVR exists can we leave it that way and its wiki? I think we would all be much better placed this way for when N-PVR becomes official then hopefully so too does its wiki?

still thoroughly enjoying this debate!

Steeb

McBainUK
2010-07-27, 08:22 AM
Wiki sites work on a group / subgroup structure so to have a split for GBPVR / NPVR would be a bad solutiuon as you would end up with a structure like this:

* GBPVR\Manual
* NPVR\Manual

* Manual\Live TV
* Manual\Videos

IMO it would be best for the current wiki to be archived and then the NPVR wiki created 'in-place'. OR a new, separate, pmwiki installation created on the webserver.
Only a wiki admin with server access can do this (I know this because I run my own pmwiki). I would also like to offer my assistance with wiki admin tasks as I'm aware of the burden it can be on sub - who would rather be programming (by his own and our admission) then doing boring admin tasks :).

FWIW: I'm currently trailing (for WAF) NPVR and use GB-PVR every day.

steeb
2010-07-27, 02:21 PM
Dear all,

I think there are some really good comments here all round, enough to set up the structure for plugins and skins, so if people are happy for me to do this I'll go away and have another 'tinker'.

@ McBain

IMO it would be best for the current wiki to be archived and then the NPVR wiki created 'in-place'. OR a new, separate, pmwiki installation created on the webserver.

Hopefully that is what we are working towards, the current set up is an idea for a plan to try and please everyone, while retaining the current wiki for now and beginning the creation of a new one. The theory being -

Create N-PVR as a group on current wiki, with correct structure in place

In the near future then create a wiki farm enabling both wiki's to co-exist with separate identities (but as you rightly point out this will need admin server access)

In the meantime work 'offsite' on a new wiki look using latest pmwiki engine and adding any recipes that would be of use. Then when the time is right and there is a new permanent home for New wiki this can be uploaded AND populated with the content that has been created in 'temporary' N-PVR wiki. Phew, does that make any sense :eek:

Only a wiki admin with server access can do this (I know this because I run my own pmwiki). I would also like to offer my assistance with wiki admin tasks as I'm aware of the burden it can be on sub - who would rather be programming (by his own and our admission) then doing boring admin tasks

I have a suspicion that someone will take you up on that :D

cheers

Steeb

steeb
2010-08-11, 01:12 AM
It's a work in progress!

Progress is slow! That's me holding the Llama (not really, my trousers cover my boots)

Steeb

steeb
2010-08-13, 11:46 PM
Dear all,

Jaggy has found a home for his new BlueRetroVE+ skin in the N-PVR section of the wiki:

http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/N-PVR/N-PVR

this may well just be a temporary space for collating any N-PVR related stuff but if anyone wants to contribute to these pages, or has suggestions, it could be a good place to keep it all together for now until a permanent documentation solution for N-PVR is found?

all the best

Steeb

steeb
2010-08-15, 03:30 AM
Dear all,

this doesn't look right either?

have shifted N-PVR homepage to top of current GB-PVR homepage:

http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php

discussion?

cheers

Steeb

sub
2010-08-15, 03:34 AM
In a couple of weeks I'll update the wiki link on the home page, and the top of the forum, to point to http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/N-PVR/N-PVR and well create a link from there to the old legacy GBPVR information.

mvallevand
2010-08-15, 05:25 AM
Steeb, I give up. I got your PM and feel free to do whatever you want with the two wikis. I am completely done contributing anything to it, it's not worth the trouble nor the time.

Martin

steeb
2010-08-15, 05:39 AM
Steeb, I give up. I got your PM and feel free to do whatever you want with the two wikis. I am completely done contributing anything to it, it's not worth the trouble nor the time.

???????

You give up what here? I am not 'free to do whatever' ? There are not 2 wiki's only one, but with differences.

I am completely done contributing anything to it,

Well if you are then I am too, I really don't understand, you inspired me, so you are saying you are ducking out, OK well I will too in respect for you?

it's not worth the trouble nor the time

You may be right, like I may be wrong or right, what is the trouble and where is the time? You never actually asked me 'where do 'I' ' put my Plugin on this N-PVR page? Well you didn't, I would walk over oceans for you (if I could) but I cannot, for I am mortal.

Come on put your Plugin up there :-)

Steeb

mvallevand
2010-08-15, 03:17 PM
To clarify, I have NEVER been interested in writing for the wiki, but I continued to get dragged into it, almost against my will, I don't know how many "last messages" I've written. Public and private messages won't help, so please respect my wishes this time. It's not personal against anything steeb has done, I just don't feel like making time for the wiki. I sense that is the general communities feeling, there has been little overall user participation. Getting users to make update to the wiki would far more constructive.

Martin

steeb
2010-08-15, 09:23 PM
Hi Martin

To clarify, I have NEVER been interested in writing for the wiki, but I continued to get dragged into it, almost against my will, I don't know how many "last messages" I've written. Public and private messages won't help, so please respect my wishes this time.

Thank you for the clarification, on my part all I can say is it was a classic case of 'cyber space mis-understanding'. I did not realise that you did not want to document your plugins on the wiki. Your wishes are of course fully respected now that I understand. This message is really just an apology for the mis-understanding and nothing more.

very best wishes

Steeb

steeb
2010-08-16, 08:10 PM
The nomenclature - does it matter at this point?

N-PVR - that's how I've been addressing everything
NPVR - some others
nPVR - some others

It is just that my sense of wiki consistency made me ask the question :D

I may have made in error in calling the wiki page and groups N-PVR etc

If it does matter should I try and get this changed?

I have a suspicion that only one person can really answer this...... :)

cheers

Steeb

sub
2010-08-16, 08:27 PM
Given I own the nextpvr.com domain, so the official name is NextPVR but I type NPVR for something shorter. "npvr.com" was going to cost me about $1000 US, so I'll pass on that one.

I still have a nagging thought about possibly using the 'G3PVR' when we get out of beta. I also have the g3pvr.com domain name.

Undecided at this stage...

sub
2010-08-16, 08:38 PM
Whatever happens, I promise to stop changing the name after we're out of beta :D

steeb
2010-08-16, 08:55 PM
"npvr.com" was going to cost me about $1000 US, so I'll pass on that one.

LOL (but what about all the donations) ;)

I think really the answer is as it is only a temporary wiki it really doesn't matter at the moment!

Quite honestly whether for now:

N-PVR
NPVR
nPVR

we all know we're talking about the same great software :D

cheers

Steeb

sub
2010-08-16, 09:00 PM
LOL (but what about all the donations) ;)I wish. After paying hosting costs, we'd probably need to save the left over donations for about three years :( (sad but true)

martint123
2010-08-16, 10:26 PM
. I also have the g3pvr.com domain name.
Close, but not close enough ;) http://hamcall.net/call?callsign=g3pvr

sub
2010-08-16, 10:32 PM
Close, but not close enough ;) http://hamcall.net/call?callsign=g3pvrI'm not bothered by some ham radio user in UK having the same callsign as my domain name though. I'm not planning on launching a "g3pvr" pirate radio station :D

steeb
2010-08-17, 02:06 AM
Close, but not close enough http://hamcall.net/call?callsign=g3pvr

Blimey, that website is like a shout in the face! I had to put on shades and back out quick :-)

I'm not planning on launching a "g3pvr" pirate radio station

Shame, it could take off, but I would hope your 'tunes' wouldn't be as loud as that website :-)

best

Steeb

McBainUK
2010-08-17, 09:00 AM
In a couple of weeks I'll update the wiki link on the home page, and the top of the forum, to point to http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/N-PVR/N-PVR and well create a link from there to the old legacy GBPVR information.
Is this to be the permanent solution, to have GBPVR and NPVR share 1 wiki?

If you see post #48 I've stated why the N-PVR group approach is far from ideal. Having said that, there maybe a way to improve on steeb's approach by using some wiki tricks (which I'm happy to investigate and implement if indeed a shared wiki is going to be the approach here).

steeb
2010-08-17, 11:36 AM
Is this to be the permanent solution, to have GBPVR and NPVR share 1 wiki?

If you see post #48 I've stated why the N-PVR group approach is far from ideal. Having said that, there maybe a way to improve on steeb's approach by using some wiki tricks (which I'm happy to investigate and implement if indeed a shared wiki is going to be the approach here).

Hiya McBain,

did you not get my email of last week?

AFAIAC this was only ever to be a temporary solution (I have put temporary all over my posts!) to have somewhere immediately for dev's to put their skins and plugins. And for some basic advice on installing and configuring N-PVR, nothing more. I totally agree with you, the group approach may not be ideal but it is what we have for now until there is a permanent home for a new wiki. I did not take the group approach decision by myself, it was the preferred solution offered up to me by blader_se as a way of ensuring the N-PVR stuff was kept separate from the existing main wiki.

I think as soon as it is decided where and what a new home for the wiki is the better. New wiki engine, recipes etc. And I think you are the ideal person to take this role on (if you want it ;)

cheers

Steeb

McBainUK
2010-08-17, 11:42 AM
did you not get my email of last week?
Yes, but I wanted sub's viewpoint as I wanted to know what the future holds - talk of changing forum links smacks a little of permanency.

steeb
2010-08-17, 12:03 PM
Yes, but I wanted sub's viewpoint as I wanted to know what the future holds - talk of changing forum links smacks of a little of permanency.

Hmmm yes good point, I never read it that way, now I see! I'll keep quiet then. (I really do hope this will only be a VERY temporary solution. My vote is for new wiki!

Steeb

sub
2010-08-17, 05:21 PM
Is this to be the permanent solution, to have GBPVR and NPVR share 1 wiki? To be honest, I dont care if the files are physically in the same wiki, or a separate one, as long as long as the pages arent all mixed together in a GBPVR/PVRX2/NEXTPVR mess. Steeb provided this http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/N-PVR/N-PVR link and when I click on it I only see NPVR stuff, and left side contents is only about NPVR, which is perfect - so something like that, with a single link back to the old wiki home is fine with me. I wouldnt have liked to see a home page with index of pages from mixture of old (GBPVR/PVRX2) and new stuff (NPVR), and the user has to read carefully to see which is applicable to which of the app.

McBainUK
2010-08-17, 05:26 PM
I would strongly suggest a physically separate NPVR wiki as steeb's link is a hack at best and would be a nightmare to maintain long term.

sub
2010-08-17, 09:40 PM
I would strongly suggest a physically separate NPVR wiki as steeb's link is a hack at best and would be a nightmare to maintain long term.I'm not bothered how its done behind the scenes. If a separate wiki make it easiest for those that maintain it, then I'm fine with that. I just want an end user experience giving them information solely about NPVR, with little more than a link back to the old GBPVR wiki (or part of the wiki if its done in the same wiki).

McBainUK
2010-08-17, 09:49 PM
Ok, a seperate wiki would be a better experience for both users and authors. When can this be setup?

sub
2010-08-17, 09:58 PM
Ok, a seperate wiki would be a better experience for both users and authors. When can this be setup?Last I heard Steeb was going to try setting it up on another server and let me know when he has something I could upload to the main server. ie, nothing for me to do at this stage.

steeb
2010-08-18, 01:57 AM
Hiya Sub

Last I heard Steeb was going to try setting it up on another server and let me know when he has something I could upload to the main server. ie, nothing for me to do at this stage.

Unfortunately last I heard some weeks back was that you had received contact from someone other than me about this, who IMO was better qualified than me to set about a new wiki construction. So I passed on any further work on this, apologies if I made an error in not telling you, but from what I understood this was a discussion in progress with you and other parties that did not need my involvement?

Hence no work from my point of view has been done on a 'brand new' wiki, just in trying to maintain some sort of N-PVR documents for now in a sensible location :-)

all the best

Steeb

sub
2010-08-18, 02:33 AM
Unfortunately last I heard some weeks back was that you had received contact from someone other than me about this, who IMO was better qualified than me to set about a new wiki construction. So I passed on any further work on this, apologies if I made an error in not telling you, but from what I understood this was a discussion in progress with you and other parties that did not need my involvement?
To be honest, I have no idea what you're talking about.

I just checked my private messages to/from steeb and we've only had the one brief exchange about the wiki, which consisted of you asking:

I hope all is going well in you world! I know it is not your bag but if some of us got an N-PVR wiki going in beta format on a web server would you consider uploading it to the 'new' domain of N-PVR or (whatever) when the time was right?

and me replying:

Yep, sure.

McBainUK
2010-08-18, 08:55 AM
Last I heard Steeb was going to try setting it up on another server and let me know when he has something I could upload to the main server. ie, nothing for me to do at this stage.
Steeb, Hariy and myself have been working this (http://www.googy.co.uk/npvrwiki/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Manual.Manual) the last few weeks.

Here it is packaged up as a zip file ready to be uploaded to the main server. Rename the pmwiki folder to npvrwiki (or whatever), as you already have http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/. It has account control turned on with steeb and Hairy as editors and myself as admin. It's easy to add anyone to either group on request.

steeb
2010-08-18, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by steeb

To be honest, I have no idea what you're talking about.

I just checked my private messages to/from steeb and we've only had the one brief exchange about the wiki, which consisted of you asking:

I hope all is going well in you world! I know it is not your bag but if some of us got an N-PVR wiki going in beta format on a web server would you consider uploading it to the 'new' domain of N-PVR or (whatever) when the time was right?

and me replying:

Yep, sure.

Yup that was the only exchange! I was simply under the impression that McBain had contacted you about a new wiki since we had that exchange, anyway doesn't matter now anyway.

best

Steeb

sub
2010-08-18, 06:04 PM
Yup that was the only exchange! I was simply under the impression that McBain had contacted you about a new wiki since we had that exchange, anyway doesn't matter now anyway.He had contacted me earlier than your PM, asking if BladerSE was the still the person to talk to about wiki stuff, like setting up a new wiki. I replied that I was reluctant to ask too much of him, since I dont think he actively uses GBPVR these days, so I was probably going to be the person that would need to do anything required on the server. Soon after that I got your PM saying saying you were working on a wiki that I could upload when it was ready, so I was waiting for that to upload. As you say, it doesnt matter now.

sub
2010-08-18, 06:14 PM
Steeb, Hariy and myself have been working this (http://www.googy.co.uk/npvrwiki/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Manual.Manual) the last few weeks.

Here it is packaged up as a zip file ready to be uploaded to the main server. Rename the pmwiki folder to npvrwiki (or whatever), as you already have http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/. It has account control turned on with steeb and Hairy as editors and myself as admin. It's easy to add anyone to either group on request.Thanks. I've uploaded it to www.gbpvr.com/nwiki. Unfortunately I'm having some permission error which I havnt worked out the cause of yet.

McBainUK
2010-08-19, 06:02 PM
Unfortunately I'm having some permission error which I havnt worked out the cause of yet.
You may just need to give write access to the wiki.d folder (ie "chmod 777 wiki.d").

Or it might require a bit more:

http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/Installation
http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/RestorePmWiki

Northpole
2010-08-20, 02:30 AM
This seems like a dumb question but how would I go about posting my skin (NextBlue) on the npvr Wiki?

Thanks.

steeb
2010-08-20, 02:36 AM
This seems like a dumb question but how would I go about posting my skin (NextBlue) on the npvr Wiki?

Thanks.

This is not a dumb question at all. In fact a very poignant one. Hold off attempting this for a few hours, days at most hopefully, and it will be worked out :-)

Steeb

steeb
2010-08-20, 02:46 AM
Thanks. I've uploaded it to www.gbpvr.com/nwiki. Unfortunately I'm having some permission error which I havnt worked out the cause of yet.

Just for the record, I do not agree with instigating this new wiki as 'live' quite yet.

I am convinced it is the the way to go and should be implemented soon, but with a few more tweaks. The 'hack' that I set up with the existing wiki is a perfectly manageable solution for the next few weeks as a depository for skins and plugins and a few pages of initial documentation, that can all be moved to a new wiki home when needed.

I suspect that even as I write this my voice may not be heard, but I will sleep better having had my say :-)

very best

Steeb

sub
2010-08-20, 02:50 AM
Just for the record, I do not agree with instigating this new wiki as 'live' quite yet.

I am convinced it is the the way to go and should be implemented soon, but with a few more tweaks. The 'hack' that I set up with the existing wiki is a perfectly manageable solution for the next few weeks as a depository for skins and plugins and a few pages of initial documentation, that can all be moved to a new wiki home when needed.
I'm fine with whatever you guys prefer. I'm not going to change any of the existing page links to it at this stage.

I still havnt got to the bottom of this permissions error yet, but I have been trying.

sub
2010-08-20, 03:03 AM

Here it is packaged up as a zip file ready to be uploaded to the main server. Rename the pmwiki folder to npvrwiki (or whatever), as you already have http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/. It has account control turned on with steeb and Hairy as editors and myself as admin. It's easy to add anyone to either group on request.I think I got past the permission problem. Give http://www.gbpvr.com/nwiki a go.

scb147
2010-08-20, 03:16 AM
I think I got past the permission problem. Give http://www.gbpvr.com/nwiki a go.
Works here

steeb
2010-08-20, 03:16 AM
I think I got past the permission problem. Give http://www.gbpvr.com/nwiki a go.

Yup you did!

was it just a chmod?

My comment from before still stands, I would prefer a little more work was put into this before making it official, let's see how McBain feels about my previous comment? Otherwise if I am over-ruled, that is the new wiki!?

very best

Steeb

steeb
2010-08-20, 03:29 AM
Looking good,

errors are thrown up on clicking some left nav linx

PmWiki can't process your request
Cannot acquire lockfile

We are sorry for any inconvenience.

More information

Return to http://www.gbpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php

error hint brings us here:

http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/ErrorMessages#flock

just the usual migration troubles :-)

Steeb

sub
2010-08-20, 03:30 AM
Yup you did!

was it just a chmod?I'm not sure, it didnt help when I tried fixing it. I had to end up deleting the directory, and uploading it again, and it went much smoother the second time. I'm not sure what went wrong the first time.

My comment from before still stands, I would prefer a little more work was put into this before making it official, let's see how McBain feels about my previous comment? Otherwise if I am over-ruled, that is the new wiki!?As I said, I wont change the web site links to point to the new wiki at this stage (or the npvr section of the old wiki). ie, You let me know what you want something changed, and I wont dont anything right now.

steeb
2010-08-20, 03:47 AM
As I said, I wont change the web site links to point to the new wiki at this stage (or the npvr section of the old wiki). ie, You let me know what you want something changed, and I wont dont anything right now.

Yup all good in that respect.

Still getting the lockfile error, on Nav Links, just teething troubles no doubt!

Am hoping McBain will reach a decision in the morning as to whether push for this now ASAP or hold back a little until some 'tweaks' are done.

I guess it is a kind of 'watch this space' thing now?!

p.s. (Northpole) haven't forgotten your question, just waiting to see what the best thing to do is for now.

Steeb

McBainUK
2010-08-20, 08:41 AM
Still getting the lockfile error, on Nav Links, just teething troubles no doubt!
Sub, I suggest following the steps here: http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/RestorePmWiki

Am hoping McBain will reach a decision in the morning as to whether push for this now ASAP or hold back a little until some 'tweaks' are done.
A wiki by it's very definition is always a work-in-progress so I don't know of any reason not to start using it. Any tweaks can be made on the live wiki, depending on what you had in mind?

scb147
2010-08-20, 02:38 PM
Is the login the same as the old wiki? My login does not appear to be working...

McBainUK
2010-08-20, 02:50 PM
I don't have any access to the admin side of the old wiki so wasn't able to transfer accounts over. You'll need to PM me with the password you want to use.

Although before I can add any accounts Sub will need to fix the permissions errors first - currently the wiki is read only.

Northpole
2010-08-20, 03:16 PM
p.s. (Northpole) haven't forgotten your question, just waiting to see what the best thing to do is for now.
Steeb

No hurry, I'll wait until you guys get it worked out.

steeb
2010-08-20, 03:20 PM
A wiki by it's very definition is always a work-in-progress so I don't know of any reason not to start using it. Any tweaks can be made on the live wiki, depending on what you had in mind?

Yup absolutely, I thought it may have been good to have a look at the structure of the left hand sidebar and try a few more recipes and see if Hairy wanted to do more with the skin but yes no reason not to go live with it now I guess!

Out of interest has the ability to change passwords been implemented? If not could it be?

cheers

Steeb

McBainUK
2010-08-20, 03:33 PM
I did look into a cookbook to change account passwords but it wasn't much cop. Once the wiki has write access I'll be able to change your password for you, or make you admin so you can add users and do it yourself.

sub
2010-08-20, 04:49 PM
Sub, I suggest following the steps here: http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/RestorePmWikiOk, done. Give it another go.

McBainUK
2010-08-20, 04:51 PM
Still no joy. http://www.gbpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?n=QuickStart.QuickStart?action=edit

sub
2010-08-20, 05:27 PM
I think it's sorted now.

steeb
2010-08-20, 07:08 PM
I think it's sorted now.

Looks good from here :D

cheers

Steeb

McBainUK
2010-08-20, 07:13 PM
Looks good here also.

steeb
2010-08-20, 07:43 PM
I did look into a cookbook to change account passwords but it wasn't much cop. Once the wiki has write access I'll be able to change your password for you, or make you admin so you can add users and do it yourself.

No worries, some of the recipes aren't much cop or outdated. Just one less password to remember is good for my brain and easier if it is same as forum! Having said that I rather like my new wiki password! I did see a recipe that was able to use the vBulletin user database to pull users and passwords from that into pmwiki but that looks very outdated and unsupported:

http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/AuthUserVBulletin

I'll stay with my new wiki password for now :-)

great work, looks good

best

Steeb

steeb
2010-08-21, 08:55 PM
McBain,

how can we test any possible new recipes? On your set up on your server? See if they any good before seeing if they are worth trying to implement?

cheers

Steeb

steeb
2010-08-22, 12:40 AM
McBain,

probably just a bug in the new wiki but just as an 'author' experience I tried creating a new page for a skin to see if you had implemented a skin template. (So this is just using author permissions.) I used Hairy's wave skin as an example name. I noticed no template had been added yet but as soon as I created a page it kept it without me ever saving it. Neither 'delete' in the page contents or ?action=delete at end of URL would appear to delete it for me?

http://www.gbpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Skin.Wave

Cheers

Steeb

McBainUK
2010-08-22, 08:39 AM
'delete' as the page content worked for me: http://www.gbpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Skin.Wave

Recipes can be tested on my server first, although I must say I scanned through some a few days ago and nothing caught my attention.

steeb
2010-08-22, 12:43 PM
'delete' as the page content worked for me: http://www.gbpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Skin.Wave

Hmm strange, page says it does not exist:

The page "Skin.Wave" doesn't exist. (Create Skin.Wave).

yet it is displaying it in left hand nav as an entry under skins?

Recipes can be tested on my server first, although I must say I scanned through some a few days ago and nothing caught my attention.

I had a list of a few to look at, I'm not sure what ones you have installed apart from those listed on 'author' mode bar?

Have you tried:

http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/AdvancedTableDirectives

I've been itching to give this one a go to help with page layout displays, or is this already in there?

cheers

Steeb

McBainUK
2010-08-22, 03:31 PM
[QUOTE=steeb;386389]Hmm strange, page says it does not exist: The page "Skin.Wave" doesn't exist. (Create Skin.Wave). yet it is displaying it in left hand nav as an entry under skins?/QUOTE]
Because I deleted it. It still has an entry in the side bar because it's defined here: http://www.gbpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Site.SideBar?action=edit

Only recipies listed in the author bar are currently installed.

steeb
2010-08-22, 03:48 PM
[QUOTE=steeb;386389]Hmm strange, page says it does not exist: The page "Skin.Wave" doesn't exist. (Create Skin.Wave). yet it is displaying it in left hand nav as an entry under skins?/QUOTE]
Because I deleted it. It still has an entry in the side bar because it's defined here: http://www.gbpvr.com/nwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Site.SideBar?action=edit

Only recipies listed in the author bar are currently installed.

Ah ha, but presumably there is no need to have to manually define it? If it exists in the group then it will display automatically? Why did you manually define it?

Can we please try the advanced table directive then?

cheers

Steeb