PDA

View Full Version : North American digital closed caption support

petercooperjr
2010-07-18, 12:57 AM
I've been searching everywhere and can't seem to find it.
The release notes for the initial beta of NPVR said that there was support for North American digital closed captions. How do I enable it?

Is there a manual somewhere I'm missing?

Thank you.

mvallevand
2010-07-18, 01:12 AM
On some files, I've had success by right clicking the screen and selecting the cc1 or cc2 stream.

Martin

sub
2010-07-18, 01:27 AM
Yep, what he said. From memory, Ctrl-X also enables it. It does depend on whether the video decoder you're using has a CC output.

sgilani
2010-07-18, 07:23 AM
ATSC captions work great with the MainConcept decoder. NPVR is going to be absolutely rocking as it goes forward. :) too bad the HD-PVR can't embed CC in the stream though.

sub, is there a command we can "hack" into the key mappings to enable disabling/toggling of CC?

mvallevand
2010-07-18, 01:07 PM
ATSC captions work great with the MainConcept decoder. NPVR is going to be absolutely rocking as it goes forward. :) too bad the HD-PVR can't embed CC in the stream though.

sub, is there a command we can "hack" into the key mappings to enable disabling/toggling of CC?

It won't work for all households, but my STB can be configured to output CC'ing and these are recorded as part of the video by the HDPVR

Martin

sgilani
2010-07-18, 10:02 PM
It won't work for all households, but my STB can be configured to output CC'ing and these are recorded as part of the video by the HDPVR

Martin

hmm.. do you mean you have the STB plaster the captions onto the video? that of course would work, but then they obviously cannot be turned off since they're part of the picture itself.

mvallevand
2010-07-18, 11:41 PM
hmm.. do you mean you have the STB plaster the captions onto the video? that of course would work, but then they obviously cannot be turned off since they're part of the picture itself.

I did say it wouldn't work for all households.

Martin

sgilani
2010-07-19, 05:18 AM
I did say it wouldn't work for all households.

Martin

true that. :)

petercooperjr
2010-07-19, 09:02 PM
Yep, what he said. From memory, Ctrl-X also enables it. It does depend on whether the video decoder you're using has a CC output.

I could get it by right-clicking and choosing to have the Subtitle stream be "Closed Captions". It seems to work well, although the text is wider than GB-PVR's. (That is, I think for a HD 16:9 program, GB-PVR placed the text within the 4:3 center portion, whereas NPVR stretches the it to fill the whole 16:9 space. I don't know as one is more or less correct than the other.)

But I couldn't get the Ctrl-X to work to toggle. Is there a chance that your memory is wrong, or am I missing something else?

Thank you so much.

sub
2010-07-19, 09:07 PM
I just checked, and it looks like Ctrl-X should do it in USA/Canada.

If it doesnt, remind me after the next beta is out and I'll add some logging for you.

petercooperjr
2010-07-20, 01:05 AM
I just checked, and it looks like Ctrl-X should do it in USA/Canada.

Yes, it does look like it works now. I think I was confused by thinking Ctrl+X toggled it on and off, whereas it seems to only toggle it on (and in fact, that is all you said). But I think that's all I need.

Thank you again.

sgilani
2010-07-27, 12:46 AM
just a sidenote, the only decoder I could get captions to work on is the MainConcept one, but it doesn't seem to be playing nicely with DXVA+EVR on Win7, getting horrible judders instead of inverse telecine (despite turning acceleration 'on' in the settings).

I remember back in WinXP and PVR-150 days there was some registry setting to force it on.. is that still needed on Windows 7 with the latest drivers?

petercooperjr
2010-07-27, 05:32 PM
I'm using WinXP with the MainConcept decoder and EVR. I used to use the ATI MPEG Decoder and VMR9, and I think captions worked there too. (I am using an ATI card.)
I do have the Deinterlacing setting in MainConcept set to "VMR" (I think), since I was getting some odd deinterlacing. You might want to try some of the settings in there.

On a side note, I didn't have the MainConcept decoder on my system at all until I installed the latest drivers from Hauppauge, so I'd like to thank Sub for releasing N-PVR and thus forcing me to get the latest drivers for the analog recorder to work. I think my playback quality is the best it's ever been. But I spent quite a lot of time playing with different settings in the MainConcept decoder, so I'd suggest playing around to see what works best for you.

sgilani
2010-08-03, 11:44 PM
Cool, I'll try tinkering with more settings in there.

I knew I used to have the ATI Video Decoder, but after rebuilding my system and re-installing everything, it's not there anymore? I've installed CCC as well as avivo, but can't find that filter anymore in GraphStudio. Can you lookup the .ax name for me? this is strange..