PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Record Two Simultaneous Programs

tjb
2010-07-13, 07:53 PM
Every time I try to record two shows at the same time, Nprv seems to crash and generates a crash.mdmp file. Single recordings seem to work okay. I have included the logs and dump file in case this helps.

sub
2010-07-13, 07:58 PM
What type of tuner?

tjb
2010-07-13, 08:06 PM
What type of tuner?

Oops, sorry - guess that would help. I have an HR Homerun tuner recording over the air (ATSC). The OS is Windows 7. I disabled UAC thinking maybe this was the culprit, but it still fails.

tjb
2010-07-14, 12:27 PM
Sub,

I forgot to mention that after the failures occur, the recording screen gives the same message that many other people have described - "Recording service not running at recording time", and that the recording service then needed to be started (the error appeared to have stopped it).

tjb
2010-07-28, 02:50 PM
Since no one else has similar reported problems, I decided the issue had to be related to my setup. So I decided to bite the bullet and reinstall my system from scratch. The system itself is a Zotac dual core atom processor with Nvidia ION graphics, operating system is Windows 7 ultimate.

I just finished the reinstall and tried my first test at recording using Nprv. I started two Quick recordings from the TV Guide screen, one right after the other. Both shows on the TV Guide screen turned red to indicate they were recording. The first recording appeared to start normally and recorded approximately 30 MB of data before hanging, the 2nd created a directory for the recording, but did not even create a zero length file for the recording itself. I tried to view the status from the ntay.exe menu but it would not display. I went into settings for Npvr and tried to show the status from there, and this hung the NextPvr.exe application. I checked the Nrecord.exe service and it was still running, using about 2% cpu utilization, but nothing was being recorded. I tried to stop the service, but received a message that the service was not responding. I have attached the logs but it doesn't look to me like they contain anything useful to troubleshoot the problem.

Is there a way to increase the logging level in Npvr or anything else I can do or provide to help figure out why I cannot record?

Note: Unlike previously, there was no system crash, system just hung. When I did restart the system and went into the recordings screen, both recordings had the message that the recording service was not running at recording time.

tjb
2010-07-28, 03:46 PM
Not sure why I didn't think of this last time, but I decided to swap the priority of the two tuners in Npvr setup so that the first recording would occur on the 2nd tuner. I did this and attempted another recording, the recording never started and the recording service stopped.

Both of these tuners work fine in GbPvr so I do not think it is a hardware problem. Once again I posted the Nrecord.log file. Next I will try rescanning the channels on the 2nd tuner and see if this makes a difference (the 2nd tuner was setup as a copy config from the first).

tjb
2010-07-28, 03:50 PM
Hmmm. I just restarted the recording service so I could rescan the channels (I did this before the previous failed recording was over). When the recording service was restarted, the previously failed recording started recording successfully on the 2nd tuner, so apparently the hardware is not a problem. Now I am more confused than ever.

tjb
2010-07-28, 04:21 PM
Hmmm. I just restarted the recording service so I could rescan the channels (I did this before the previous failed recording was over). When the recording service was restarted, the previously failed recording started recording successfully on the 2nd tuner, so apparently the hardware is not a problem. Now I am more confused than ever.

I was able to reproduce this repeatedly (3 or 4 times) although sometimes the recording service would hang, other times just stop. The last time it hung, and when I tried to stop the service I got a Microsoft .NET Framework unhandled exception. Just in case it helps, the text was:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

Server stack trace:
at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Receive(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size, SocketFlags socketFlags)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.SocketStream.Read (Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.SocketHandler.Rea dFromSocket(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.SocketHandler.Rea d(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.SocketHandler.Rea dAndMatchFourBytes(Byte[] buffer)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp.TcpSocketHand ler.ReadAndMatchPreamble()
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp.TcpSocketHand ler.ReadVersionAndOperation(UInt16& operation)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp.TcpClientSock etHandler.ReadHeaders()
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp.TcpClientTran sportSink.ProcessMessage(IMessage msg, ITransportHeaders requestHeaders, Stream requestStream, ITransportHeaders& responseHeaders, Stream& responseStream)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.BinaryClientForma tterSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleRe turnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateI nvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
at NShared.IRecordingService.CancelRecording(Schedule dRecording scheduledRecording)
at NShared.RecordingServiceProxy.CancelRecording(Sche duledRecording scheduledRecording)
at NextPVR.TV.ShowDetailsPopup.HandleCommand(String command)
at NextPVR.TV.ShowDetailsPopup.HandleButtonCommand(St ring buttonName)
at NUtility.Controls.UiButtonList.OnKeyDown(KeyEventA rgs e)
at NextPVR.TV.ShowDetailsPopup.OnKeyDown(KeyEventArgs e)
at NextPVR.ControllerForm.OnKeyDown(Object sender, KeyEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnKeyDown(KeyEventArg s e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyEventArgs(M essage& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ProcessKeyMessage(Mes sage& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmKeyChar(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Mes sage& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Mess age& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at NextPVR.ControllerForm.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.O nMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.W ndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.4927 (NetFXspW7.050727-4900)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
NextPVR
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/NPVR/NextPVR.exe
NShared
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/NPVR/NShared.DLL
NUtility
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/NPVR/NUtility.DLL
System.Data
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Data.SQLite
Assembly Version: 1.0.65.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.65.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/NPVR/System.Data.SQLite.DLL
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
System.Data.Entity
Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.4926 built by: NetFXw7
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Data.Entity/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.Entity.dll
System.Core
Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.4926 built by: NetFXw7
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
Test1
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/NPVR/NUtility.dll
Test2
Test3
SlimDX
Assembly Version: 2.0.8.42
Win32 Version:
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/NPVR/SlimDX.DLL
msvcm90
Assembly Version: 9.0.30729.4926
Win32 Version: 9.00.30729.4926
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/WinSxS/x86_microsoft.vc90.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_9.0.30729. 4926_none_508ed732bcbc0e5a/msvcm90.dll
taglib-sharp
Assembly Version: 2.0.3.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.3.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/NPVR/taglib-sharp.DLL
System.Transactions
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_32/System.Transactions/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Transactions.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.EnterpriseServices
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_32/System.EnterpriseServices/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.EnterpriseServices.dll
Unmanaged
Assembly Version: 1.0.3840.25090
Win32 Version:
CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/NPVR/Unmanaged.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box

whurlston
2010-07-28, 09:38 PM
Do you have dynamic tuner allocation enabled in the HDHomeRun setup?

tjb
2010-07-28, 09:47 PM
Do you have dynamic tuner allocation enabled in the HDHomeRun setup?

Yes, I do. Is that the correct setting? I also have the application set to GbPrv

whurlston
2010-07-28, 09:50 PM
The dynamic tuner allocation should be disabled. If that still doesn't help, set the application to "ATSC/QAM - Other".

tjb
2010-07-28, 10:15 PM
The dynamic tuner allocation should be disabled. If that still doesn't help, set the application to "ATSC/QAM - Other".

Now that I disabled dynamic tuner allocation, I am back to my original problem (that's probably how I had the HDHR configured before the rebuild. Now I can start the first recording OK, but as soon as I start a second, Npvr crashes and creates a crash.mdmp file

whurlston
2010-07-28, 11:02 PM
Did you try changing the application?

tjb
2010-07-29, 12:40 PM
Did you try changing the application?

Yes, I tried several settings but they did not seem to make a difference. I appreciate the thoughts, and I think you may have steered me in the right direction. I believe now the problem is in my HDHR setup, not in Npvr. I have an idea that I want to try out and I will post the results when done.

tjb
2010-07-29, 02:02 PM
Whurlston,

Once again, thanks for your help so far. The idea I had did not help. I do have another question about the HDHR setup. Under the advanced setting. the option for "Windows Media Center background channel scan" was enabled. I tried to disable it, but it appears to not take effect. I disable it, click Apply, then exit out - when I restart the HDHR setyp it is always reenabled. Could this be the cause of my problems? Also, under Advanced settings, what should "BDA Drivers" be set to, Auto or Normal?

whurlston
2010-07-29, 05:23 PM
To disable the background channel scan manually, do the following:

Open Regedit (run as admin if UAC is enabled) and browse to
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Med ia Center\Service\BackgroundScanner
Create a new DWORD value, and name it PeriodicScanEnabled and set the ValueData to 0
Close Regedit, and reboot the box.

For the BDA Driver setting, I actually use "Inject CVTC" but I'm on QAM cable. Either "Auto" or "Normal" should be fine for OTA ATSC.

I'm not sure either of those are the issue though. Do you have a software firewall running by any chance?

tjb
2010-07-29, 05:29 PM
Just the windows firewall, and Nrecord as well as NextPvr are both open. I can scan the channels and they all come up fine. Most of the time, the first record (after a reboot) will work. Earlier today I actually got two recordings at one time, but it was a fluke. The next single recording I tried caused a crash.mdmp. I will try disabling the scan manually, but as you said, I don't have a lot of hope any more. May have to stick with GbPvr. I have spent days and days trying to figure out why only my system crashes with Npvr.

BTW, even when Nprv recording is not working, I can view stations using the HDHR setup utility, so the HDHR is working.

whurlston
2010-07-29, 05:30 PM
When it causes the crash dump, does it pop up a window showing the call stack?

sub
2010-07-29, 05:34 PM
I loaded up the dump file from earlier in the thread, but unfortunately the stack frame showed nothing useful. It was dying inside ntdll.dll somewhere, and there were no NPVR components in that stack trace.

tjb
2010-07-29, 05:35 PM
When it causes the crash dump, does it pop up a window showing the call stack?

No, in fact I only get something in the task bar, which if I click on it it says there is a process that wants to display a message. I click on view message and get a message box about the crash.mdmp file (which I included one of these back on the first post in this thread. No call stack though, unless it is contained in the dmp file.

Other times, the recording service simply stops, and if I'm lucky, restarting it will actually cause both recordings to start (but not always). Still other times the recording service hangs (although the first program is still recording) and it cannot be stopped. Also, NextPvr and Ntray are hung.

tjb
2010-07-29, 05:37 PM
I loaded up the dump file from earlier in the thread, but unfortunately the stack frame showed nothing useful. It was dying inside ntdll.dll somewhere, and there were no NPVR components in that stack trace.

That was the original error, since then I have completely rebuilt my system. I will try to post another one when I can just in case the symptoms are different.

sub
2010-07-29, 05:37 PM
Maybe try posting another crash.mdmp. We might get a more useful stack out of it.

EDIT: you be me to it.

whurlston
2010-07-29, 05:48 PM
Also, which OS are you running and which HDHR software version? I'll try to reallocate one of my HDHRs to OTA and try to reproduce the issue.

tjb
2010-07-29, 05:52 PM
Also, which OS are you running and which HDHR software version? I'll try to reallocate one of my HDHRs to OTA and try to reproduce the issue.

That is an extremely generous offer! OS is Windows 7 Ultimate Edition and the HDHR version is, I believe, the latest released version (20100213). I did just see there were a number of beta releases available, I may try that if nothing else helps.

whurlston
2010-07-29, 06:08 PM
That is an extremely generous offer! OS is Windows 7 Ultimate Edition and the HDHR version is, I believe, the latest released version (20100213). I did just see there were a number of beta releases available, I may try that if nothing else helps.I'm running HRHR 20100609beta1.

tjb
2010-07-29, 06:47 PM
I just upgraded to HDHR 20100609beta1. As soon as I started a 2nd recording it crashed again and generated the attached dump file.

sub
2010-07-29, 07:15 PM
Unfortunately still no good clues in there.

Are you using any 3rd party firewall/antivirus software on your machine?

tjb
2010-07-29, 07:20 PM
No, not at all. Just what comes with Windows 7 - Firewall and Defender. The only thing I can think of out of the ordinary may be TwonkyServer. I also run an ssh server for remote access tunneling (via vnc), MagicJack, and Acronis for backups. A few other apps that really shouldn't have any affect.

Anyway, thanks for checking the dmp file, sub.

whurlston
2010-07-29, 07:22 PM
Does it also happen if you start a recording and then attempt to watch a second channel via Live TV?

tjb
2010-07-29, 07:41 PM
Does it also happen if you start a recording and then attempt to watch a second channel via Live TV?

It doesn't work, but I get different results. I have attached logs that show the attempt. After starting the first recording, and then trying to watch live tv I get an error from NextPvr that says "Unable to communicate with recording device". But the system does not crash and it continues on (by continues on I mean the GUI is still responsive and I can retry Live TV or switch to another menu).

tjb
2010-07-30, 01:30 PM
Sub,

I generally never use Live TV, so I had not tested it with Npvr up until this point. After additional testing, it looks like Live TV will always work the first time (after a reboot or restart of Nrecord). If I escape out of Live TV and then restart it, I get the error "Unable to Communicate with Recording Service". Any further attempts will then report the error "Failed to Start Stream". I have attached log files that reflect trying to start Live TV 4 successive times immediately after a reboot of the system.

I still think it must have something to do with my HDHR setup, but for the life of me I cannot figure out what it could be. There are not that many options to configure, and no options when installing the drivers. Seems like the tuners are not reallocating or something? Anyway, hopefully these logs will show something.

It appears when it works, the log shows the following:

2010-07-30 09:14:23.740 [DEBUG][5] StartStream(7173:WLWT-HD)
2010-07-30 09:14:23.753 [INFO][5] DigitalRecorder.StartStream(LIVE&C:\Temp\live-WLWT-HD-3401.ts)
2010-07-30 09:14:23.753 [INFO][5] Creating BDA graph
2010-07-30 09:14:23.904 [DEBUG][5] Using tuner Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner 10117487-0 (1)
2010-07-30 09:14:23.959 [DEBUG][5] About to auto detect capture filter
2010-07-30 09:14:24.249 [DEBUG][5] No BDA capture filter for this device
2010-07-30 09:14:24.357 [DEBUG][5] Graph filter list:
2010-07-30 09:14:24.357 [DEBUG][5] - BDA MPEG2 Transport Information Filter
2010-07-30 09:14:24.357 [DEBUG][5] - MPEG-2 Demultiplexer
2010-07-30 09:14:24.357 [DEBUG][5] - NPVR TS Mon
2010-07-30 09:14:24.357 [DEBUG][5] - Tuner
2010-07-30 09:14:24.357 [DEBUG][5] - Network Provider
2010-07-30 09:14:24.361 [INFO][5] About to start BDA graph
2010-07-30 09:14:24.363 [DEBUG][5] Starting graph...
2010-07-30 09:14:24.367 [DEBUG][5] About to tune BDA graph:
<tuning>
<type>ATSC</type>
<locator>
<physical_channel>35</physical_channel>
</locator>
<service_id>1</service_id>
<tsid>2243</tsid>
<service_type>1</service_type>
</tuning>

2010-07-30 09:14:25.701 [DEBUG][5] locked=1, present=1, strength=95, quality=97 (took 1185ms to check)
2010-07-30 09:14:25.732 [INFO][5] DigitalRecorder.StartStream() allocated handle: 0x1
2010-07-30 09:14:25.743 [DEBUG][5] Live TV handle: 0x140001
2010-07-30 09:14:25.792 [DEBUG][13] GetQuality()
2010-07-30 09:14:25.792 [DEBUG][13] GetQuality()@exit

When it fails, I get this (a number of steps are missing after the line "About to auto detect capture filter":

2010-07-30 09:14:52.240 [DEBUG][13] StartStream(7173:WLWT-HD)
2010-07-30 09:14:52.240 [INFO][13] DigitalRecorder.StartStream(LIVE&C:\Temp\live-WLWT-HD-3402.ts)
2010-07-30 09:14:52.240 [INFO][13] Creating BDA graph
2010-07-30 09:14:52.247 [DEBUG][13] Using tuner Silicondust HDHomeRun Tuner 10117487-0 (1)
2010-07-30 09:14:52.285 [DEBUG][13] About to auto detect capture filter
2010-07-30 09:14:52.937 [DEBUG][13] GetQuality()
2010-07-30 09:14:52.937 [DEBUG][13] GetQuality()@exit
2010-07-30 09:14:53.952 [DEBUG][13] GetQuality()

tjb
2010-07-30, 02:25 PM
Removed (thought changing one of the decoder settings fixed the problem, but it didn't)

whurlston
2010-07-30, 10:22 PM
I'll be setting up the test platform either tonight or tomorrow (most likely tomorrow).

bdshaffer
2011-07-04, 12:02 AM
Is there any resolution to this problem? I have the same symptoms as OP, intermittent failure of second recording and a crash dump message. Same HDHR and Win7. It has been happening for quite awhile, but I'm just now trying to fix it.

bdshaffer
2011-07-04, 08:47 PM
After setting HDHR application to "GBPVR", I can no longer make this happen on demand. I'll report back if I get any random messages about crash dump files in the future.

Is there any resolution to this problem? I have the same symptoms as OP, intermittent failure of second recording and a crash dump message. Same HDHR and Win7. It has been happening for quite awhile, but I'm just now trying to fix it.