PDA

View Full Version : Live TV display mode?

86atc250r
2010-07-10, 10:47 PM
How do I make my display normal instead of like pictured?

Using latest beta of npvr, XP Pro, VMR9, nVidia decoders & Hauppauge PVR500 if that matters.

sub
2010-07-10, 11:01 PM
I suspect it'll display normally if you switch to EVR, or disable hardware acceleration in the video decoder settings.

86atc250r
2010-07-10, 11:08 PM
If I use EVR, the hardware acceleration appears to go away and video quality is awful, especially for watching anything with action.

Any other workarounds without having to disable the hardware acceleration of the nVidia decoders - it makes a huge difference in the quality & "fluidity" of the playback.

sub
2010-07-10, 11:08 PM
Its just a bug in the nvidia drivers, and there is nothing I can do about it (without a lot of effort which I dont have time for at this stage).

86atc250r
2010-07-10, 11:12 PM
One thing that is interesting is that if I view a recording in progress - the display is correct for a split second, then goes to what you see above...

86atc250r
2010-07-10, 11:14 PM
Is there something different that WMP would be doing? It's using the nvidia decoders as well and doesn't exhibit this issue on the same file

sub
2010-07-10, 11:19 PM
The bug only effects applications a that call VMR9's SetOutputRect() API with a value other than 0,0,1,1 (these values tell VMR9 to use all the video window for displaying video). WMP doesnt every uses values other than that since it's video always fills the Window.

Another work around is to F7 NPVR to the 'Fill' aspect ration mode (which also passes 0,0,1,1 to SetOutputRect()).

86atc250r
2010-07-11, 07:00 AM
When I use F7, it works when I go to fill but the screen is stretched the full width of my 16:9 display --- in WMP when I do full screen, I have the appropriate black bars on either side.

Is WMP not using VMR9 maybe?

sub
2010-07-11, 06:06 PM
WMP is using VMR9, but doesnt have to call SetOutputRect() API with values other than 0,0,1,1. Its needs in NPVR for the OSD later. WMP doesnt mix OSD graphics with the video, so instead always resizes the video window to match the shape of the video, so you never see this problem in WMP.

pBS
2010-07-11, 06:43 PM
good news with latest version, Overlay with acceleration works in XP...:D [ati,cyberlink codecs]

also, it has transparency in osd, and f7 works as it should and osd isn't oddly positioned like evr...:)
and deinterlacing looks great...

i should say 'semi-acceleration' as it looks pretty high but deinterlacing is working...
pretty much exactly same as evr on my machine..

86atc250r
2010-07-11, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the explanation Sub. pBS - does that mean I should try Overlay with the nVidia deoders and see how it works, or overlay with cyberlink?

I'm off to do some experimenting. I've always used the nVidia decoders w/hardware accel because the video quality is SO much better, especially with anything that has a significant amount of motion. With nVidia, it looks as good as the source does without running through the computer. Without, it looks much worse & when (American) football season rolls around, the wife will be letting me know about it.

pBS
2010-07-11, 08:43 PM
yea, it should work ok with nvidia, but ya never know...lol [it has it's quirks too]
it looks like no actual decoding is available, but the hard part of deinterlacing is working, i get around 50% on both procs on a p4d playing...but it looks good...:)
[smooth motion and good PQ]
even mpchc mpeg2 decoder looks great [software decode only] if you check he interlaced output box...[so it'll get hw deinterlacing]

from what i've read about evr,, it's just an enhanced overlay renderer anyways...no wonder they act same..

86atc250r
2010-07-11, 09:18 PM
With overlay, I get the same look/feel as I do with EVR ---- that is, motion on screen is blurred or slow motion looking, scrollers are difficult to read, text is not sharp.

If I use VMR9, motion is smooth and fluid, as are scrollers, text is noticibly sharper and more defined. I've always assumed this is the effect of hardware acceleration because in GBPVR this always cleared up when I got the nVidia decoders working properly - but maybe it's not.

Are the cyberlink decoders free? If so, where to get them? any others I should try?

It's a catch 22 so far --- I can either run VMR9 w/nVidia and have good quality video -- but stretched or goofy with the onscreen trouble --- or I can get non-stretched video of poor quality.

sub
2010-07-11, 09:26 PM
Its a suggestion that might not be practical for you, but if you've got Windows 7 available, then that is an option for getting EVR and hardware acceleration.

pBS
2010-07-11, 10:02 PM
yea, in win7 all the modes work well...evr and vmr9 too...

Reddwarf
2010-07-11, 10:09 PM
It's a catch 22 so far --- I can either run VMR9 w/nVidia and have good quality video -- but stretched or goofy with the onscreen trouble --- or I can get non-stretched video of poor quality.

Yep, that's like choosing between burning or drowning ;) Pretty much the reason why I took the plunge to W7.

86atc250r
2010-07-12, 05:22 AM
Dammit guys... LOL

I guess I may just have to upgrade my first machine to win7 then :)

Thanks for the update, didn't know Win7 would do EVR & Hardware Acceleration.