PDA

View Full Version : NPVR not yet worth a try

RichU
2010-07-01, 02:34 AM
I briefly installed 1.5.21 NPVR. I saw nothing for configuration or settings, and without any documentation I found it to be a waste of time to fiddle with it.

Sorry - I hoped it would work better, but it didn't seem to work hardly at all.

Uninstalled it 5 or 10 minutes after I installed it. With no options to control it wasn't even marginally useful. Not an indictment of the beta version, just a comment re functionality, or lack thereof.

carpeVideo
2010-07-01, 02:39 AM
It is a little confusing - the key is to right click to get to config which is documented but not obvious. Once you are through that you will appreciate all of Sub's underpaid hard work. :0) As any programmer knows the fun part is the app not the documentation.

Waynesm
2010-07-01, 02:40 AM
Right Click settings should get you started....well worth the effort. Good progress in development so far

siliconaudio
2010-07-01, 02:51 AM
I briefly installed 1.5.21 NPVR. I saw nothing for configuration or settings, and without any documentation I found it to be a waste of time to fiddle with it.

Uninstalled it 5 or 10 minutes after I installed it. With no options to control it wasn't even marginally useful. Not an indictment of the beta version, just a comment re functionality, or lack thereof.

If you'd asked here before removing, I'm sure someone would have come to your aid. Until the Wiki catches up, you have to be willing to have a look through the forums for your info. Failing that, just ask, most of us are only too keen to help if we can.

Aside from one issue, which is probably with my PC, NPVR feels more solid than GBPVR and I think it will be a winner. But it's a work in progress and with any beta, you have to accept the fact that there will be loose ends.

pcostanza
2010-07-01, 03:13 AM
I'm another one who feels, even in beta, it's very robust. It's not exactly meant to be on it's own yet and there's no problem with having both GBPVR and NPVR installed. Use GBPVR while you learn the ropes of NPVR (won't take long) and soon, the beta will mature enough for a final version.

johnsonx42
2010-07-01, 03:29 AM

Translation courtesy of babelfish:

I downloaded this new release of the software, and couldn't figure out what to do in 5 or 10 minutes. I'm too lazy or arrogant to read the many threads on the forums that clearly show many people are using it moderately successfully, nor am I willing to ask for any help from what is known to be the most helpful, noob friendly forum on the internet. I'm going to assume instead that sub has simply wasted my time by releasing software that doesn't actually do anything at all yet, and further toyed with me by releasing a further update to the software that actually does nothing also. But I do have time and inclination to come here and complain, but only after stating I'm not interested in any assistance because I've already declared the software to be beneath my further consideration.

Sincerely,

RichU

pBS
2010-07-01, 05:22 AM
was there a question?

it's labeled 'Beta' boob... :p
go try Myth and talk to us later...lol

soccerdad
2010-07-01, 03:45 PM
translation courtesy of babelfish:

I downloaded this new release of the software, and couldn't figure out what to do in 5 or 10 minutes. I'm too lazy or arrogant to read the many threads on the forums that clearly show many people are using it moderately successfully, nor am i willing to ask for any help from what is known to be the most helpful, noob friendly forum on the internet. I'm going to assume instead that sub has simply wasted my time by releasing software that doesn't actually do anything at all yet, and further toyed with me by releasing a further update to the software that actually does nothing also. But i do have time and inclination to come here and complain, but only after stating i'm not interested in any assistance because i've already declared the software to be beneath my further consideration.

Sincerely,

richu

:) :)

RichU
2010-07-01, 11:13 PM
Hey, chill with the harsh responses, OK! I wrote in a simple message saying unusable as is. And no documentation, nor even a mention on a website, other than this forum, which deals with mostly specific technical details. Not even some "basic" FAQs or tips in the forum introduction, as is common.

Given the comment that a right-click was needed to get to Settings, I made headway, and found it much more automatic than GBPVR, but still with some info gaps. The initial settings "tips" giving the normal major steps is a big help. Like including a statement that right-clicking is needed to get to settings..... a Readme.txt would have eased that part for me and probably others.

I have stumbled into telling it how to EPG, via XMLTV like GB did, and hope to get TV showing soon.

Tips on decoders would be appreciated, but I'll be looking at the forum and my own WinXP SP3 system for options to try.

Thanks for the right-click comment. For some of the other snobs who like to sneer at "noobs," like babelfsh and pBS, you obviously are free to get your jollies however you like, but unhelpful comments are just that: unhelpful, and so primarily a waste of space. A beta is often used to figure out where people get stuck. If I was good at GB-PVR already, or NPVR, then I wouldn't make a post saying "can't even see how to get started."

sub
2010-07-02, 12:03 AM
Hey, chill with the harsh responses, OK! I wrote in a simple message saying unusable as is. And no documentation, nor even a mention on a website, other than this forum, which deals with mostly specific technical details. Not even some "basic" FAQs or tips in the forum introduction, as is common.

Given the comment that a right-click was needed to get to Settings, I made headway, and found it much more automatic than GBPVR, but still with some info gaps. The initial settings "tips" giving the normal major steps is a big help. Like including a statement that right-clicking is needed to get to settings..... a Readme.txt would have eased that part for me and probably others.I've modified the next build to auto start the setting screen the first time you run the application, and to show you a message box to tell you that the setting screen can be accessed again at any time by right clicking and selecting 'Settings'.

Thanks for the right-click comment. For some of the other snobs who like to sneer at "noobs," like babelfsh and pBS, you obviously are free to get your jollies however you like, but unhelpful comments are just that: unhelpful, and so primarily a waste of space. A beta is often used to figure out where people get stuck. If I was good at GB-PVR already, or NPVR, then I wouldn't make a post saying "can't even see how to get started."In fairness, I think it was your original tone that prompted these types of replies. In general the community is very new-user-friendly, but it gets people's backs up when they see things like "waste of time" etc.

Regardless, I'm glad to hear you're now making some headway.

soccerdad
2010-07-02, 12:05 AM
As noted, help is plentiful on this forum. And it is typically friendly, however if you were looking for support, you might want to reread your post. You slam the forum, and you will either get slammed back or ignored.

Anyway, you might want to check out this link. http://forums.gbpvr.com//showthread.php?46876-1.5.19-available-%28beta%29 It explains the release and in post 3 it CLEARLY states what is needed and what to do.

The new application requires an updated vcredist_x86, since I've switched to using VS2008. This can be downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9b2da534-3e03-4391-8a4d-074b9f2bc1bf&displaylang=en

It also requires an updated DirectX runtime from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2da43d38-db71-4c1b-bc6a-9b6652cd92a3&displaylang=en

The application installer can be downloaded from http://www.gbpvr.com/NPVRSetup.exe

After installing the application, run NPVR, right click on the window and click Settings from the context menu. From there you click Devices to configure the channels on each device etc. The bold was mine, but it was spelled out pretty clearly. So, welcome to the forum, show a little respect (it is donateware) and ask any question you can think of. You won't believe how fast you get answers. :cool:

time_lord
2010-07-02, 12:11 AM
I've modified the next build to auto start the setting screen the first time you run the application
Fantastic :) I was going to suggest that, it seems to have been the thing to trip most people up.

In fairness, I think it was your original tone that prompted these types of replies
Yeah, saying 'not yet worth a try' was always going to evoke a response like that ;-)

RichU
2010-07-02, 03:44 AM
Thanks, Sub! Points noted!

(Thought I was "just sayin" "can't see how to go forward," but black and white text really doesn't convey nuances well.)

Still working at it.....

johnsonx42
2010-07-02, 04:23 AM
For some of the other snobs who like to sneer at "noobs," like babelfsh and pBS, you obviously are free to get your jollies however you like, but unhelpful comments are just that: unhelpful, and so primarily a waste of space.
Hello, Kettle? This is Pot. You're Black!

If I was good at GB-PVR already, or NPVR, then I wouldn't make a post saying "can't even see how to get started."
But you didn't make such a post, did you? You made a post saying NPVR was a waste of your time, and that you'd already uninstalled it because it doesn't work (seems unhelpful, and a waste of space, yes?). "Hi, I just installed NPVR, but after launching the app I can't even see how to get started. Can someone fill me in on the how I get started configuring things? Thanks in advance." would have served much better, wouldn't you think?

That said, props for manning up and coming back. I've put my knives away now. Indeed, that may have been the first time in over 1,100 posts I've had the sharps out here.... once the idea popped in my head I fancied myself quite clever and wasn't willing to put them away unbloodied. You'd know what a babelfish was if you were a cool frood with any clue where your towel is, but I digress.

Peace.

griffy
2010-07-02, 05:26 AM
Well I downloaded it, got it working to its max (except for problem with Acamd) and then uninstalled it. Its not good enough, yet.
My GB-PVR setup is perfect, just slower than nPVR.
My nPVR started interfering with my GB-PVR tuners so I uninstalled it, my wife is a red head - you want to be here when I miss a recording?.

I will install again though, just waiting on tuner priority movement.
Its a beta, for testing, and its 90% working for me. But at least I found the config menu :)

Keep up the great work SUB
nPVR is a streamlined beast.

whurlston
2010-07-02, 07:13 AM
People, I just want to say, you know, can we all get along? Can we get along? Can we stop making it, making it horrible for the older people and the kids?...Itís just not right. Itís not right. Itís not, itís not going to change anything. Weíll, weíll get our justice....Please, we can get along here. We all can get along. I mean, weíre all stuck here for a while. Letís try to work it out. Letís try to beat it. Letís try to beat it. Letís try to work it out.
-Rodney King

pcostanza
2010-07-02, 11:28 AM
my wife is a red head - you want to be here when I miss a recording?.

As a red head (well, what hair I still have left) I could take offense to that statement but instead, I'll congratulate you for marrying up!:D

sub
2010-07-02, 05:00 PM
As a red head (well, what hair I still have left) I could take offense to that statement but instead, I'll congratulate you for marrying up!lol :D

ShiningDragon
2010-07-02, 05:40 PM
Phew, what a nice subject for a "free of charge" software..., in threads like this i have every time to think about moving to trash. ;D

I would say, that nPVR FOR NOW is no alternate if using analog tv cards (problems with channel, muxxer, decoders <only Microsoft MPEG-1 decoder plays audio track of live tv, but not of the recording etc.). For this, and of course because of the network functions, i will stay at gb-pvr.

As i know sub, all little bugs/problems with nPVR (which is indicated as BETA) will be solved soon enough. We shouldn't forget, that nPVR is a fully rewrite (and a fully new software), which of course has some bugs. ;)

agerdin
2010-07-02, 09:40 PM
my wife is a red head - you want to be here when I miss a recording?.

My wife is Israeli, when it comes to GBPVR, I am scared all the time......

Ahhh, I have not even told her about NPVR yet. Planning on doing this 2011.....

\\Agerdin

peter_h
2010-07-03, 02:37 AM
Tips on decoders would be appreciated, but I'll be looking at the forum and my own WinXP SP3 system for options to try.

I'm on XP too, Hauppauge cards, and GeForce 8600GT and have tried out decoders on MediaPortal 1.1 too. I have had major headaches trying to find a good decoder that handles channel changes, 1080p HD, hardware acceleration, and does so without stuttering.

For video, I've ruled out:
- MPC Decoder
- coreAVC with CUDA acceleration
- CyberLink decoder (PowerDVD8)
- DivX 7 HD decoder

Not perfect, but best success is with:
- ArcSoft decoder (you'll need to find yourself a copy of ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 2)(Sub also uses ArcSoft apparently, so may be some coincidence there)

CoreAVC 2.0 was the best non-accelerated codec, but crashed too often when I turned on the CUDA acceleration.

I haven't put my finger on the exact causes yet, but I also seemed to have improved a lot of the worst of the stuttering by:
- closing down other apps (and a fresh reboot may have helped too, so may be memory-sensitive) (Also not sure yet if any one app is more responsible than another).
- making sure that the folders used for video and timeshifting are included in the exceptions with my on-access anti-virus scanner.

ShiningDragon
2010-07-03, 02:53 AM
@peter_h

For my opinion, Power DVD 7.3 Ultra codec is "the way it meant to be played" (hi nvidia... XD). It`s hardwareacceleration is reliable, the directshowfilter can be used in other programs, it can playback BluRay and HD-DVD media.

As an advise: Never use codecpacks and don't try to mix too many codecs. Just install as much as you (really) need. Should you have a nero 6.6 installation on your system, unregister the NeVideo.ax and NeDVD.ax filters in your system. They are really buggy (com surrogates error within explorer) and don`t respect the filtermerits.
If you have any game from Blizzard Entertainment on your pc (WoW, Diablo etc.) then you have to look for a hidden DivX Installation within the gamefolders. They place themselves even before a full bought Pro Version from DivX.