PDA

View Full Version : Scheduled EPG Update - TV Guide not always updating from XMLTV

Graham_Shepherd
2010-06-23, 12:49 PM
Hi

I've been successfully using DVBGuide to generate DVB-S XMLTV data - see my earlier post.

But....

n-PVR is not always updating the data when scheduled to do so.

My channel mapping sets two epg data sources;

DVB EPG for my DVB-T card

&

XMLTV for my DVB-S cards

If I manually update the EPG Data from the settings - channels page I get all the right show info.

When n-PVR updates at a scheduled time I get DVB EPG data but all show info from XMLTV sources is blank with no show data.

Seems odd when the scheduled setting is using the same XMLTV data and settings as the manual update?

Any ideas please??

BigMoose
2010-06-23, 12:58 PM
I have the exact same setup (except Irish DVB-T and UK DVB-S) and the exact same problem... which doesn't help you at all, but does show it's not just you!

Graham_Shepherd
2010-07-01, 07:50 PM
Quick Bump...

Hi Sub

This is an ongoing problem with the latest beta version still. Do you have any ideas on the cause or a solution please?

Reddwarf
2010-07-01, 10:37 PM
Quick Bump...

Hi Sub

This is an ongoing problem with the latest beta version still. Do you have any ideas on the cause or a solution please?

I'm having the same problem as well. The temporary solution is to manually push the "Update EPG" button once a day :D

sub
2010-07-01, 10:42 PM
What is the easiest way to reproduce it?

If you set you EPG update hour to be the current hour, then restart the recording service (to force it to start the EPG update), then wait a few minutes, then start NPVR and view the TV Guide, has the problem recurred?

Reddwarf
2010-07-01, 10:54 PM

If you set you EPG update hour to be the current hour, then restart the recording service (to force it to start the EPG update), then wait a few minutes, then start NPVR and view the TV Guide, has the problem recurred?

Hard to tell without leaving npvr for a couple of days so the epg gets a bit outdated...
I'v attached a log you might find interesting, the first part shows the auto-epgupdate.

Reddwarf
2010-07-02, 12:33 PM
Here's the log from last night's automatic epg-update. Looking at the Guide I can see that the channels that have DVB-EPG is updated to one week of data, but the channels relying on xmltv has not got no new shows since last time I updated manually, even the xmltv-file was updated (from EPGCollector) a couple of hours earĝier and contains the same data as the DVB-channels has got.

Graham_Shepherd
2010-07-02, 06:00 PM

Hi Sub

I have checked again and can see that my XMLTV data is only updating when I do a manual update. When a scheduled daily EPG update takes place my DVB-S show data is blank. If I then do a manual update everything is fine, until the next scheduled update when the TV Guide is again blank except for the DVB-T EPG listings.

Silly question, but is the scheduled update looking for an XMLTV file in a different location than that specified when we do a manual scan?

sub
2010-07-02, 06:44 PM
Do you guys possibly have the xmltv file in a directory that the NextPVR.exe (running as the logged in user) can access, but isnt accessible from NRecord.exe (running as a service under a different user account)? ie, like in your user directory?

sub
2010-07-02, 06:45 PM
Hi Sub

I have checked again and can see that my XMLTV data is only updating when I do a manual update. When a scheduled daily EPG update takes place my DVB-S show data is blank. If I then do a manual update everything is fine, until the next scheduled update when the TV Guide is again blank except for the DVB-T EPG listings.

Silly question, but is the scheduled update looking for an XMLTV file in a different location than that specified when we do a manual scan?The manual update epg function, and the automated one, both call the same function, so should behave identically.

Reddwarf
2010-07-02, 07:14 PM
Do you guys possibly have the xmltv file in a directory that the NextPVR.exe (running as the logged in user) can access, but isnt accessible from NRecord.exe (running as a service under a different user account)? ie, like in your user directory?

Now THAT is quite possible! In XP everything about access was easy, eighter you had access or not, but in W7 there are all shades of access. I'll try to copy the xmltv file to a location where if definitly can be read by Nrecord and see what happends.

sub
2010-07-02, 08:53 PM
Looking at the code, I'm wondering if its related to channels with more than one capture source associated with it. Do you guys have it happening on channels that are set up on only one device?

Reddwarf
2010-07-02, 09:02 PM
Looking at the code, I'm wondering if its related to channels with more than one capture source associated with it. Do you guys have it happening on channels that are set up on only one device?

Definitly yes, I have only one analog capturecard in each computer and the analog channels are not merged with other channels.

Edit: But it could be more than one reason for the problem.

sub
2010-07-02, 09:05 PM
Definitly yes, I have only one analog capturecard in each computer and the analog channels are not merged with other channels.Did you checkout my other suggestion about the directory?

sub
2010-07-02, 09:06 PM
I've added some more logging for the next build which should help me track down what is happening.

johnsonx42
2010-07-02, 09:20 PM

I have mine in the directory C:\users\public\npvr\epg. Shouldn't that be fine? Nrecord.exe can access everything else there.

I have the same basic problem as everyone else here, my EPG shows "No Show Details" every morning, and all the pending recordings are gone.

Graham_Shepherd
2010-07-02, 09:31 PM

Although clearly a possible cause I don't think this is the problem, I'm using XP so access rights are not too much of an issue. In any event the XMLTV file is not in a user directory but in a sub-directory of my c: windows-programs-npvr folder.

Graham_Shepherd
2010-07-02, 09:36 PM
Definitly yes, I have only one analog capturecard in each computer and the analog channels are not merged with other channels.

Edit: But it could be more than one reason for the problem.

Sorry Sub... I do not have any single device channels so cannot say whether this is an issue. I have 2 DVB-T devices which update EPG via DVB and these are ok, plus 4 DVB-S devices which update EPG via XMLTV which are the problem.

Hope this helps and is not going round in circles - the extra logging facility will surely help solve the problem in the next build.

ps: None of my channels are merged between EPG sources &/or device types.

sub
2010-07-02, 09:44 PM
For whatever reason, I dont seem to have this problem here on either of my machine running NPVR, so I'm going to need more info to find the cause.

If you do a manual 'update epg', check the tv guide to confirm you have listings, then set the automated epg update hour to the current hour, close NPVR, then restart the 'NPVR Recording Service' (which will start updating the EPG about 20 seconds later), then wait a few minutes start NPVR and view the tv guide - has th problem occurred? If so, can we try the same steps, but instead of restarting 'NPVR Recording Service', manually run "NRecord.exe RUN" from a command prompt, and see if it happens then?

Graham_Shepherd
2010-07-02, 09:49 PM
For whatever reason, I dont seem to have this problem here on either of my machine running NPVR, so I'm going to need more info to find the cause.

If you do a manual 'update epg', check the tv guide to confirm you have listings, then set the automated epg update hour to the current hour, close NPVR, then restart the 'NPVR Recording Service' (which will start updating the EPG about 20 seconds later), then wait a few minutes start NPVR and view the tv guide - has th problem occurred? If so, can we try the same steps, but instead of restarting 'NPVR Recording Service', manually run "NRecord.exe RUN" from a command prompt, and see if it happens then?

Thanks for your speedy guidance - sorry to be dim, but how best to restart the 'NPVR Recording Service'?

Reddwarf
2010-07-02, 11:35 PM
Did you checkout my other suggestion about the directory?

I'm in the process, but I won't know until after tomorrow mornings automatic update.

Reddwarf
2010-07-03, 12:28 AM
I'm in the process, but I won't know until after tomorrow mornings automatic update.

On second thought, I decided not to wait, but backed up my database and deleted all epg. I then stopped Nrecord and set the update hour to current and restarted Nrecord. Only the dvbc-epg channels got updated. I stopped Nrecord, put back the backup, deleted epg and started Nrecord with the RUN parameter from a command prompt. This time ALL the channels got updated.
This was on W7. I had previously moved the xmltv file to a local folder and set permissions to "Full Control" for everyone, but that's obviously not sufficient.

So how do I give the local system account permission to read the xmltv-file? Or is there something else that you can do with Nrecord?

Graham_Shepherd
2010-07-03, 01:14 PM
Thanks for your speedy guidance - sorry to be dim, but how best to restart the 'NPVR Recording Service'?

WHOOPS!! Sorry I was not using the machine with N-PVR on, I can now see that this is available from the Start Menu !!!

I will check this out this evening.

sub
2010-07-03, 06:27 PM
Good news - this bug is now fixed for the next build.

Reddwarf
2010-07-03, 06:30 PM
Really? Was it connected to permissions or something different?

sub
2010-07-03, 06:36 PM
It was some logic flaw that could sometimes occur on the second or subsequent automated epg update.

Graham_Shepherd
2010-07-03, 08:23 PM
Good news - this bug is now fixed for the next build.

Well done, thanks Sub.

pcostanza
2010-07-04, 01:22 AM
So, let me see if I understand all that's been said about this. I have my xml file on my D partition (same as NPVR) and use mc2xml (until SD is supported). If I tell NPVR to update, should I not be seeing the xml file update? I'm not. I have had to manually update by telling mx2xml to do so. Am I missing something?

sub
2010-07-04, 01:27 AM
So, let me see if I understand all that's been said about this. I have my xml file on my D partition (same as NPVR) and use mc2xml (until SD is supported). If I tell NPVR to update, should I not be seeing the xml file update? I'm not. I have had to manually update by telling mx2xml to do so. Am I missing something?You should see your xmltv file being updated. NPVR doesnt run the mc2xml grabber for you. You have to do this yourself. All NPVR does is read your xmltv file.

NPVR does run an UpdateEPG.bat file though (if it exists), before running its update epg process, which is a convenient place to add any commands like running mc2xml etc.

pcostanza
2010-07-04, 01:30 AM
Ahhh, that's what I'm missing....the UpdateEPG.bat. I'll take care of that.
Thanks

whurlston
2010-07-04, 04:40 AM
Remember that it now goes in the \Users\Public\NPVR\Scripts folder.

pcostanza
2010-07-04, 04:51 AM
Can't seem to make NPVR call on the UpdateEPG.bat file when running Update EPG. Exactly where should this bat file be placed? I have it in program files (x86)\npvr folder.

whurlston
2010-07-04, 04:52 AM
In the "[DataFolder]\Scripts".

pcostanza
2010-07-04, 05:05 AM
Thanks. That did it!

Graham_Shepherd
2010-07-04, 12:19 PM
NPVR does run an UpdateEPG.bat file though (if it exists), before running its update epg process, which is a convenient place to add any commands like running mc2xml etc.

I had not realised this! Very handy, I was relying upon Windows Task Scheduler unnecessarily.

pcostanza
2010-07-04, 06:23 PM
I've been using mc2xml to grab my data until SD is supported and I've chosen Microsoft Legacy which seems to update faster than SD but the file size of the xml with MS Legacy is more than twice the size of SD (which takes longer to download). What's the major difference? I can't see any difference in show detail when I compare.

whurlston
2010-07-04, 06:35 PM
I'm not sure about the legacy. I'm using the enhanced (donate version) and it includes things like the show icons.

pcostanza
2010-07-04, 06:42 PM
No icons for me with SD but I'll give a donation and see how it works. You'd think that if you pay SD, you'd get all that's out there already.