PDA

View Full Version : WMA via MVP

UncleJohnsBand
2005-02-21, 12:00 AM
Why cant WMA files be seen or played via the MVP? The MVP native interface now supports this.

sub
2005-02-21, 12:11 AM
The MVP only natively supports MPEG1/MPEG2/MP3.

The Hauppauge software does have some functionality to on the fly convert WMA files to MP3's before sending them to the MVP. Why doesnt GB-PVR also do this?...because I havn't got around to it yet. I might implement it one day, but there's a lot of other things I'd like to do first.

UncleJohnsBand
2005-02-21, 01:05 AM
Thanks Sub......I wasn't sure how the MVP actually was handling the WMA's.

jorm
2005-02-21, 01:48 AM
if you find a wma to mpeg converter that is command line and free we can attach it to xrecord and get it to play over the mvp.

ArfurAnt
2005-03-07, 09:00 PM
The lack of WMA support using GBPVR and the MVP is a showstopper for me as all my music is stored in this format.
I currently use the Hauppauge software on the MVP which can play WMA files but also run SlimServer on my Shuttle which uses LAME to transcode to MP3 on the fly that I can access and control from my NetGem iPlayer.
I can use Net Radio in GBPVR to stream a playlist of WMA's from SlimServer to the MVP but this has to be set up on the PC which is not ideal.
Could LAME be used to transcode WMA to MP3 on the fly for the GBPVR plugins on the MVP, I believe it has a command line interface.
This would make me, and I am sure many others, very happy!

2005-03-08, 03:18 AM
aac (or m4a) format would be nice too, since all my music is in that format

I don't have a iPod by the way

ArfurAnt
2005-03-08, 06:56 AM
The lines in my convert.conf to convert wma to mp3 are as follows, it looks like this uses wmadec from SlimServer as well as LAME:
wma mp3 * *
[wmadec] -r 44100 -b 16 -n 2 $FILE$ | [lame] -x --resample 44100 *--silent -q 9 -b 320 - -

For more details look at *The LAME Project (http://lame.sourceforge.net/) and

SlimServer wmadec (http://svn.slimdevices.com/branches/BRANCH_5_4_x/tools/wmadec/)

I hope someone can incorporate these into a suitable plugin.

UncleJohnsBand
2005-03-10, 02:54 AM
This would be great...I am able to transcode the WMA to MP3 without problem. I am hoping reven can use these two tools to provide streaming of WMA via the MVP.

2005-03-10, 09:34 AM
Hi,

I love this application... It really is brilliant... but I am like a lot of other people out there, who for whatever foolish reason have encoded their entire music collection into WMA and not MP3... if GBPVR or a plugin could be made to transcode from WMA to MP3 on the fly, like the Hauppauge software does, then GBPVR would be the creme de la creme (as the english say http://gbpvr.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif )... This is this softwares only 'limitation' and it's only because I've encoded everything in WMA http://gbpvr.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif .

re-encoding on mass is not really an option... unfortunately...

George

reven
2005-03-10, 09:54 AM
Quote[/b] ] am hoping reven can use these two tools to provide streaming of WMA via the MVP.

sorry not really possible, i think sub has added wma support to the mvp in the next version thou (might just be wmv, if not its probably on his todolist).

ArfurAnt
2005-03-10, 09:59 PM
Not sure what you mean by 'not really possible' . . .
For a media product running on a windows platform I think WMA support is essential. If it is not technically possible then that is different.
Hopefully Sub will include WMA support in a future release but from earlier posts it seems low down in his list of priorities. If it is included will we get this 'for free' in My Music or will we have to use the vanilla Music Library?
Sorry to be a pain, I think the My Music plugin is excellent, it is a real shame that I can see but not play 95% of my music from my MVP!

reven
2005-03-10, 11:02 PM
its not really possible the way gbpvr and my music play music, my music creates a playlist using gbpvr, for me to allow real time conversion for wma to mp3, i would have to stop using the gbpvr playlist, create my own, add one song at a time to the gbpvr playlist, detect when a song finishes, start another, every other plugin will only see it as a one song playlist, if you quit my music the playlist will most likely fail and stop after the current song finishes. so its not possible (well it is, but to be honest its much more trouble than its worth, its better to wait for sub to include this into gbpvrs core).

if i say its not possible, that just means im not going to do it.

ArfurAnt
2005-03-11, 06:40 AM
I thought that was what you meant, just wanted to clarify, thank you for your comments though, we shall just wait and see if sub addresses this in the future.
Cheers.
ArfurAnt.

2005-03-11, 08:49 AM
Reven...

I'm sure your last statement will become an all-time classic quote for all those guru coders out there http://gbpvr.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

"If i say it's not possible, that just means I'm not going to do it."

You can't really argue with that...

Brought a smile to my face this morning...

George

reven
2005-03-11, 10:55 AM
Quote[/b] ]Brought a smile to my face this morning...
glad i made you smile http://gbpvr.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

cliffw
2005-03-27, 01:49 PM
absolubtly - this is a real annoyance in my opinion :( I love this software but I like using ms Photostory to make little video/slideshows of my pictures which output as .wmv files (no option to change this) so playing these are important to me.

Hauppage software is still my only option at the minute because of this which is a real shame because I'm dying to switch!!

UncleJohnsBand
2005-04-13, 01:32 AM
Since its been a while since this thread has surfaced to the top of the list I thought I would throw out the question:

Is WMA via MVP being worked on.....or at least on a short to-do list? :D

sub
2005-04-13, 01:42 AM
No, its not being worked on.

This is not to say I wont do it, but I just havnt decided if/when yet.