PDA

View Full Version : Grabing a frame from the recorded movie?

joche
2005-02-15, 10:20 PM
It should be fairly easy using the postprecess batch file to run a program that grabs a fram let's say 60 seconds in to the recording and then save it as a jpeg with same name as the show.

Can anyone recommend a specific software for this?

Also, are there any chances at all to have this image file to be generated as soon as the show has been recorded enough?

reven
2005-02-16, 05:12 AM
yeah i to would like this, i want to add a option to the menu in my videos to generate a thumbnail for the video.

jorm
2005-02-16, 10:10 AM
I wanted to find an app to do this so I can create a scene selection for a video. Preferably where I specify a time or a frame number.

Mplayer claims it can do it but whenever I do it only grabs the first frame.

If you find one please let me know.

yuss
2005-02-16, 11:28 AM
I do this with PowerDVD (for any taped mpg show - not only DVD's). It has a "capture" option. I hit the capture button, and paste it into MSPaint (I know it's weak, but serves this purpose), edit and save. All done.

If you have any of these multimedia players, check it out, it may have a screen capture option.

Oh, I just tried Windows Movie Maker - free from Microsoft, it has a capture option and it works. It captured a frame directly to JPG.

reven
2005-02-16, 11:36 AM
thanks for the help but we are trying to find something that can be run from the command line so it can either be done in a the postprocessing.bat file or integrate into a plugin.

but your help is appreciated http://gbpvr.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

KingArgyle
2005-02-16, 12:31 PM
Not a free program, but it claims to do what you guys want and with a command line interface:

http://www.theedgeofforever.com/

Command Line info:
http://www.theedgeofforever.com/video-thumbnail-command-line.html

There is a free trial period.

colin
2005-02-18, 02:24 AM
virtualdubmod maybe worth looking into. I might look at writing something to do this next week - i have some free time on my hands now,

cheers,
Colin.

reven
2005-02-18, 02:45 AM
i looked at virtual dub, and the command line switches dont allow for this, might be different in virtualdub mod thou (i think you would need vitrual dub mpeg2 (its named something like that)).

joche
2005-02-18, 04:25 AM
Quote[/b] (reven @ Feb. 17 2005,22:45)]i looked at virtual dub, and the command line switches dont allow for this, might be different in virtualdub mod thou (i think you would need vitrual dub mpeg2 (its named something like that)).
I have been succesful using a software called yasa (http://www.meedio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=138497). Does frankly just what I requested above.

It took me some time getting it running, the catch was that the yasa.exe and *.mpg could NOT reside in the same folder. Which, ofcourse, they only did when I tested..........

reven
2005-02-18, 04:33 AM
did you get it to work with one specified mpeg file? it only seems to work with an entire folder.

joche
2005-02-18, 04:51 AM
Quote[/b] (reven @ Feb. 18 2005,00:33)]did you get it to work with one specified mpeg file? it only seems to work with an entire folder.
I haven't tried yet, can give it a shot later. The configuration file atleast aim for file-specific operations... But that's just the cfg then :-)

For me folder operations is just fine for now.

[UPDATE]
I gave it a quick shot now. Configuring FILE instead of FOLDER for the 'FileOrFolder' attribute and ran yasa.exe <path>\myfilm.mpg.

It gaved me a popup window with an error message. Might be a bug? Who will call the support? ;)

reven
2005-02-27, 12:28 AM
anyone had any joy with this yet? i downloaded the one KingArgyle found and it worked perfect, however US$30 for it, bugger off. anyone know of a free one, that can do individual files and works with xvid, divx, and mpeg (mov,real would be nice too, but not that important).

darrin75
2005-02-27, 12:33 AM
I think i do, but will have to try it when i get home, what i am using is a tool to use with the tivo, but may work with other films, so stay tuned....

reven
2005-02-27, 12:36 AM
it needs to work from the command line, thats only the real requirement, and be free.

colin
2005-02-28, 02:04 PM
ok, its crude but this should allow you to grab a frame from a mpg. No idea if avi's work, someone may like to try this.

try framegrabber (http://atlanticisle.com/framegrabber.exe)

two methods of operation.

1. run framegrabber.exe Will prompt you for a movie, then it will start playing this. Pause the film and hit capture. This will create c:\frame0.jpg
2. run framegrabber.exe movie frame_number. this will run the programe, open the move, grab the frame (hopefully) and save this to c:\frame0.jpg

anyother methods of execution are untested, and i have only tried this with mpg's recorded with gbpvr. This is crude and nasty but if this is what people are after, then we can put anice user interface on it, and a nice cli,

cheers,
Colin.