PDA

View Full Version : Odd and Poor Performance so far...

RenegadeELEN
2008-11-24, 01:51 AM
Well I finally got GBPVR to come up on my PCH A110. I can only do it when browsing to my server and choosing GBPVR through network share otherwise I get the Request cannot be processed message. When in the GBPVR app the menu runs slow and none of my mkv videos play (though I'm not saying that is a problem to focus on right now).

I have uploaded my logs but considering I can't play much through normal shares on the PCH (only through myihome) and I am having so much trouble with getting to my server in the first place I think right now my PCH and server aren't getting along

I'm assuming correctly that I should have responsive menus and be able to playback mkvs, right?

psycik
2008-11-24, 01:58 AM
yes you should be able to use the menus, they are slower than the server, but mine would be a keypress per second..

And I playback mkvs fine, bit since mkvs are a container format they could have almost anything in side them.

You'll have to five a bit more information about what internal format is. My mkvs are x264 with AC3 and some with DTS (but only having a A100 I dont get downmixed sound)

RenegadeELEN
2008-11-24, 02:09 AM
My mkvs that I'm trying (which play fine through myihome) are ac3 and h264 or VC1.

The menus are a key press and 10 or more seconds later it responds. Most of the time it was over 20-30 seconds.

mvallevand
2008-11-24, 02:37 AM
Change to the blue skin and then try and play a file again and send the logs. These logs don't show when you played a file

Martin

RenegadeELEN
2008-11-24, 03:26 AM
Well, now I am unable to get it to work via any method including the one I mentioned earlier. Back to figuring out what is going on.

sub
2008-11-24, 11:17 AM
Out of curiousity, what CPU and RAM do you have in your PC? The server speed has a big impact on the menu responsiveness.

I get several screen updates a second though if I sit on the menu or a file list and hold either Up or Down keys. Definitely not 10-20 seconds a screen you're reporting - something wrong there...

RenegadeELEN
2008-11-24, 01:22 PM
My System is a 2.4 GHz Intel Q6600 (Quad Core) with 4 GB of ram. I kept checking my processes and my network speed when I was in there but I couldn't see anything spike.

sub
2008-11-24, 01:58 PM
It definitely wont be related to slow server then.

In your logs and I can see it only taking a couple of hundred milliseconds (or less) to respond to keystrokes, so it doesnt appear to be going slow. There is some error messages in your logs related to the skin you're using, so it'd probably be worth trying the blue skin (as martin suggested above), to see if it makes any difference.

RenegadeELEN
2008-11-24, 02:04 PM
Well my plan is to try the other skins when I'm able to get it to work again. Thanks for the check though. Any ideas about the mkv files? They try to play, buffer then go back to the GBPVR screen.

sub
2008-11-24, 02:17 PM
I'm not really sure. mkv files play fine here.

Do the same files play ok on the PCH via a fileshare or other streamer?

mvallevand
2008-11-24, 04:29 PM
RenegadeELEN, are you running the Hauppauge MVP server software by any chance?

Martin

RenegadeELEN
2008-11-24, 07:39 PM
Sub:

They play fine via myihome (http streamer) but stutter or stop 20 seconds in when playing via a SMB (Windows) share.

RenegadeELEN
2008-11-24, 07:40 PM
Martin:

No I was under the impression that I could run the Dummy install (which doesn't include the MVP server from Hauppauge) and that would work with the PCH.

mvallevand
2008-11-24, 08:16 PM
That's true, I was just speculating on why you might be having this difficulty.

Martin

RenegadeELEN
2008-11-24, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the help though. When I get home tonight I will give more ideas a try.

RenegadeELEN
2008-11-25, 04:42 AM
So an update. I am now able to consistently bring up the network browser and find my server. I am able to get good menu response from both the blue skin and the slick skin. I can even get good video play back from most files using this. I still cannot play the hi def mkv files though. They actually play but stutter bad now.

I still can't get access to GBPVR through any other method other than the network browser and the 2nd option in the html choice.

The hi def mkvs I try play fine using myihome and comparing the two and their bandwidth use I think I have found why it doesn't work well in GBPVR. When using myihome I get a consistent high bandwidth pull from the PCH, always between 10Mbs-40Mbs. But when using GBPVR I get spikes and low levels where it ranges from less than 10 Mbs to above 50Mbs and I think it tops out the bandwidth of the PCH.

Any thoughts?

mvallevand
2008-11-25, 05:06 AM
The only think I can think of is this, my one tweak to Vista

http://forums.gbpvr.com/showpost.php?p=251886&postcount=12

Martin

RenegadeELEN
2008-11-25, 01:08 PM
I'll give it a try later today.

RenegadeELEN
2008-11-26, 12:38 AM
Tried it and it didn't improve anything. I have now found that the only reason I could get the network browser to work was because I installed a hard drive and installed the NMT applications. I removed the drive and now I can't see my server through the network browser which means that I can't get GBPVR to work. This is getting very frustrating.

Like before I can manually add a share but GBPVR doesn't work from those shares.

mvallevand
2008-11-26, 12:52 AM
The hard drive has nothing to do with it. You have another fundamental problem that I can't explain. The fact that you can't play video from a share clearly shows something is not working. that has nothing to do with mvpmcx2 Can you try running using dhcp instead of static, perhaps your subnet is not set properly?

In any case I am out of ideas.

Martin

RenegadeELEN
2008-11-26, 01:08 AM
Well from what it is saying in the network settings the subnet is correct but I will give it a try. Thanks for the help even if it doesn't get me to a solution.

RenegadeELEN
2008-11-26, 01:21 AM
Nope didn't work. You're right though I think something, networking wise is off about my server. I just turned on my laptop while having the PCH on and it found that but not my server. Now on my laptop I can find it through the "Network" section of Vista but that doesn't mean much. I guess I will have to try to get to the bottom of things.

RenegadeELEN
2008-12-03, 01:43 PM
Just as an update to my own problem/post.

I have successfully tested videos of different sizes from a different Vista box in my house and they all worked flawlessly. I haven't installed GBPVR on it since it isn't an always on PC but I have a feeling it would work better as well.

So now I need to sort out where the differences lie. That may be a big undertaking since I like to tweak my server a lot and there is no telling what could be causing the problem.

RenegadeELEN
2008-12-10, 01:34 AM
SUCCESS!!!

I installed a new NIC in my system and now everything works great.