PDA

View Full Version : MVP Model Numbers

srhutch
2008-10-20, 08:16 AM
Can somebody confirm which model I should be looking for.

I have seen reference to 1000, and 1004.

Looking to hardwire, just want to ensure I get the best model

or should I be looking at Popcorn Hour, for HD for the future?

thanks

sub
2008-10-20, 04:24 PM
The MVP is pretty old now. I'd probably be looking at the Popcorn Hour myself.

srhutch
2008-10-20, 07:52 PM
Sub

I'm not to worried about HD at present as I dont have a HD TV, also the cost of the MVP is around 40, where as the PopCorn is 200.

So from a financil point of view it's a no brainer, question is does the MVP do a good job with SD.

pz1
2008-10-20, 08:08 PM
I have seen reference to 1000, and 1004.

Looking to hardwire, just want to ensure I get the best model

The 100X series are the hardwired initial releases
The 1016 has WLAN in addition

trummel
2008-10-20, 08:21 PM
The MVP is good if you just need a cheap SD desktop box. The PCH is in a different league though, especially if you have an High Def TV and want to use HD and HDMI (the MVP is SD only and svideo at best). If you really want MVP, the you should be looking for a Rev H4 hard wired only. You are right not to waste your money on the wireless version unless you have a full strength signal or like stutter.

My opinion is that despite the waiting list and a small number of missing features, the PCH is much more future proof, nicer to use and great value. Plus Martin is doing a real nice job of the development and because it's current technology, it will hopefully continue to be enhanced.

One observation though. Perhaps it's just mine, but the remote on the PCH is a bit notchy. I've found that it works much better if you remove the front panel of the case. I'm thinking of drilling a hole in the front plastic cover. I've just ordered 2x PCH B-110's to put in some mATX cases I have. It will be interesting to see if the remotes on those are any nicer to use.

martint123
2008-10-20, 08:32 PM
I still think the MVP has a snappier response if you only have an SD TV.
With my PCH and HD TV at startup of the TV, the two seem to spend quite a time with HDMI handshaking and often need kicking to work (with a remote keypress) whereas the MVP just seems to work.

srhutch
2008-10-20, 09:47 PM
There are a couple ov MVP's on ebay both Model 86002, one lists Rev D3A lot 4203.

Hauppage website only lists 86XXX as part numbers so I'm slightly confused.

mvallevand
2008-10-20, 10:33 PM
The D3A is certainly ok but it doesn't have the newer style remote or digital out. There was an update E series and then with the model H's with H4 being current (I think) with RoHS approval.

Even though I would never buy a new MVP again, even from ebay I would never buy a D3 because of hardware problems or the wireless version if you have to pay a premium (for something that isn't worth the aggravation)

I disagree with martin123's comment on the PCH about snappier response. I have a PCH on an SD TV and it is much more responsive than the MVP on the same SD TV. You do get used to the slow responses to the remote and the slower OSD updates on the MVP though and certainly the video media 6-8 seconds faster but is overall they probably even out in time lost in an evening.

Still the MVP gives better integration with GBPVR and if you don't care about downloaded video, digital video, DVD or HD media it is still a bargain. No on can convince me that transoding makes the experience better on the MVP.

Martin

Elmo Putney
2008-10-21, 09:33 PM
Learning from mistakes made, I would just like to say MVP is not a good option if your capture sources are digital.
I just thought this was worth a mention because I dont think the wiki really expicitley points this out.

ACTCMS
2008-10-21, 10:00 PM
Learning from mistakes made, I would just like to say MVP is not a good option if your capture sources are digital.
I just thought this was worth a mention because I dont think the wiki really expicitley points this out.Do you mean HD? I have two MVPs doing a great job showing the output from Nova-T 500's (freeview)

srhutch
2008-10-21, 10:27 PM
Cant see what difference the capture source would make, as digital or analogue it's converted to mpeg or divx etc, which is what the MVP uses.

sub
2008-10-21, 10:33 PM
Cant see what difference the capture source would make, as digital or analogueIt depends what you're trying to use it for. Playing recordings is typically fine with files from either digital or analog capture source. For live tv, digital vs analog does have an impact, with digital having much slower channel change times (due to few extra seconds added by mux).

it's converted to mpeg or divx etc, which is what the MVP uses.
The device doesnt natively support divx. It only plays MPEG1/MPEG2/MP3 files. Any other file type, like divx, is converted to one of these supported types on the fly for playback (which means no skipping beyond the transcoding position etc).

mvallevand
2008-10-21, 10:39 PM
For video, the MVP only supports in hardware SD MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 program stream files with mp2 or mp3 audio. All the digital captures are actually transport stream files which are not supported and need to be muxed to a mpeg ps format. This is not a function of Windows, nor is it provided by GBPVR, and there is no freeware mux, but many people do use a specific mux that can do a decent job in some SD content.

Here in North America there is no solution for digital captures SD or HD because of the lack of AC3 support in the MVP.

Don't be fooled by the Hauppauge web site divx support is by transcoding.

Edit: curses beaten again!

Martin

Elmo Putney
2008-10-22, 08:08 AM
Do you mean HD? I have two MVPs doing a great job showing the output from Nova-T 500's (freeview)

Interesting that you are doing ok setup, I have the same setup even down to the Nova t 500 and I get very frequent lockups when channel changing. This often requires me to re-boot the server otherwise I get the "no capture devices" warning.

ACTCMS
2008-10-22, 01:22 PM
Are you using mvpmc?

srhutch
2008-10-22, 01:42 PM
OK, so I have learnt something new, and that is you can watch live TV thorugh this box.

I assume you can watc live TV through NMT.

Elmo Putney
2008-10-22, 08:16 PM
At risk of highjacking the thread:

Are you using mvpmc?

Yes I am, with the standard dongle I got very corrupted audio/video on certain channels.

What version of the mvpmc are you using?

ACTCMS
2008-10-22, 10:40 PM
What version of the mvpmc are you using?The one dated 5th april 2008

srhutch
2008-10-24, 10:24 PM
Well I have just bought a PCH with 200GB HD, so hope it works better than the Philips unit I have. Should have it Tuesday/Wednesday

SFX Group
2008-11-02, 11:25 AM
The MVP is pretty old now. I'd probably be looking at the Popcorn Hour myself.

Does this device work like MVP able to pull menus and everything?

It looks nice, like the HDD so it streams to it and uses it as a cache (cure network issues)....

I assume you will be integrating this in to the "media server" part of GBPVR?

martint123
2008-11-02, 11:41 AM

After an initial step to get the software onboard, it looks identical to an MVP, and much better on an HD TV.

It looks nice, like the HDD so it streams to it and uses it as a cache (cure network issues)....I suspect the majority of users don't have an HDD installed. GBPVR does not utilise the HDD.

mvallevand
2008-11-02, 02:26 PM

It looks nice, like the HDD so it streams to it and uses it as a cache (cure network issues)....

I assume you will be integrating this in to the "media server" part of GBPVR?

The PCH is a much better MVP. When media isn't playing, you get exactly the same UI, except it is HD capable. The networking on the MVP is crap and is the source of many problems. The PCH still uses embedded SoC networking but it is more than 5 times faster and more error free.

Martin

SFX Group
2008-11-03, 01:50 AM
The PCH is a much better MVP. When media isn't playing, you get exactly the same UI, except it is HD capable. The networking on the MVP is crap and is the source of many problems. The PCH still uses embedded SoC networking but it is more than 5 times faster and more error free.

Martin

Being a network engineer i can confirm the MVP so much a dumb client if it so much as looses one packet it will crash, my PVR is fast enough to get it back in seconds but its still a pain, ive got some huge 3COM gigabit switches here which means down time is like once a month, still a pain when your in the middle of watching a movie.

SFX Group
2008-11-03, 01:51 AM

Martin

So its the installed BIOS (software) that tells it what to do, will there be a re-write to allow the HDD to be used as a cache?

Where do we get this software from?

mvallevand
2008-11-03, 04:50 AM
Personally I don't see any need for the PCH to cache more, I think it does too much as it is right now. The cpu can handle about 48 Mbs now for hardware decoding.

The PCH and the MVP are basically linux machines, For the PCH they use Sigma Design microcode and boot loader which is more than the bios, it is all the hardware codec on system info. On top of that there are custom linux kernel drivers, Sigma libraries, Syabas libraries and applications and then you get mvpmcx2

Martin

Martin

SLR_65
2009-01-03, 05:11 PM
Hi Guys,

I have my GBPVR system up and running well. :)

We currently have it in the family room and like having it there. However, it would be nice to have it in the living room too. My son visits with his lap top occasionally and I've played with it setup as a client and it's worked well upstairs.

We are just running 27" tvs for now and for the forseeable future, along with analog cable. I was considering a bare bones pc for a client but I see the MVP on fleaBay for around $50. For that kind of money I can't even buy a motherboard, let alone a cpu, memory, case, etc. for a barebones system.

I do occasionally watch some avis that come from hdtv though, would the mvp be able to play those?

What are the thoughts - yay or nay for cheap SD client in an mostly analog system with a wired network connection or save my pennies and build a client?

Thanks!

Steve

martint123
2009-01-03, 06:16 PM
For the price an MVP would take a lot of beating. Wired though, wireless seems less reliable. For SD, I'd certainly go for an MVP over a client PC.

HDTV AVI files won't play directly, but might do with on-the-fly transcoding. Our HDTV is different to the USA, so someone else would be better able to answer your HDTV question.

SLR_65
2009-01-04, 03:42 PM
For the price an MVP would take a lot of beating. Wired though, wireless seems less reliable. For SD, I'd certainly go for an MVP over a client PC.

HDTV AVI files won't play directly, but might do with on-the-fly transcoding. Our HDTV is different to the USA, so someone else would be better able to answer your HDTV question.

Thanks Martin.

I'm on the fence. It's cheap and would probably do 90% of what I want, it appears I'd just lose compatibility with files from hd/digital sources and the ability to play dvds. Still, those are two important issues!

I just need to hide and latch onto my son's lap top next time he's over as it works fine on the living room tv! ;)

Steve

martint123
2009-01-04, 05:48 PM
Other than nicking his laptop, you could rip the DVD's to MPGs (as I do) and transcode the HD recordings.

Other than that you only have the comparatively expensive HD remotes like the PCH. It would still be a cheaper option than a laptop or PC I guess.

ACTCMS
2009-01-04, 06:02 PM
Other than nicking his laptop, you could rip the DVD's to MPGs (as I do)I'm just about to look at watching DVDs on the MVP (Mrs ACTCMS got a boxed set from Santa)... what do you use to rip them to MPG?

SLR_65
2009-01-04, 07:25 PM
Other than nicking his laptop, you could rip the DVD's to MPGs (as I do) and transcode the HD recordings.

Other than that you only have the comparatively expensive HD remotes like the PCH. It would still be a cheaper option than a laptop or PC I guess.

Hi Martin,

I thought about that, but there are times I think I get too cheap and end up costing myself more in effort in the long run.

My main pc uses an Asus M2NPV and it has a built in video card with SVHS output and stuff. Works fine for SD stuff. That board is discontinued but shows up frequently on fleaBay and I could probably get one for $50 or so. I have an old mini tower case not doing anything and I have a couple 40 gb harddrives and a couple BenQ dvd burners spare (the old BenQs were EXCELLENT drives so I bought a couple when LiteOn bought them out), as well as a copy of Windows XP spare. Sooo, I'm down to what, a cpu, memory, and remote control and eye (my son stole my extra ones for his lap top!). I magine I could get by with a fairly whimpy cpu and not much memory as all I'm doing is playing stuff, it'd never record or transcode anything (anyone care to make suggestions on cpu and memory?).

There's always incidentals - maybe fan upgrades to quiet the case down a bit or something, but I could probably put a client together for $150 and then it would play whatever was loaded on my main htpc without issue.

With the MVP it would be about $100 cheaper to get into, but I'd end up spending time, which I have little of, converting dvds over to mpegs or transcoding avis. It's doable, but I think I'd probably get tired of it in a hurry and I'd end up kicking myself for not just doing a client in the first place.

On the other hand, it's cheap and really doesn't take much to install. And it'd play 90% of what I have on the main htpc . . . the Jack Benny in me really wants to pick one up, but in the back of my mind I keep thinking I'm settling for something I wont be 100% happy with and for the hundred bucks or so it'd probably just be best to build the client.

Decisions, decisions . . .

I was hoping for more input. I've done some research and it seems there are some problems with the units, but I also realize that those who are happy with their units tend not to say anything, it's the ones who have trouble that post more.

So far the pros are:

*) Cheap - about $50 shipped.
*) Plays 90% of what's on my htpc.

cons:

*) Wont play dvds unless they are converted to mpegs.
*) Wont play material sourced from hd sources unless transcoded.
*) wifi on the new models doesn't work well (not a big issue for me)
*) They sometimes get a funky picture and need a few reboots to get running correctly again.

Did I miss anything? I'd appreciate any and all inputs from MVP users!

Steve

martint123
2009-01-04, 09:44 PM
I can't remember what I used to rip DVD's - I didn't do it much and changed around a lot and now with a PCH......

I use PC clients, but not for main viewing - just garage and shack - too big, noisy and power consuming. Until I splashed out for an HD LCD, I was happy with a pair of MVP's.

You will have to start a poll :D

mvallevand
2009-01-05, 12:27 AM
If it was me deciding between an SD compatible MVP for $50 or a low-end PC for $150, I'd go for the MVP, and watch 90%. Really SD is throwaway now in the US so save your money for later. Of course if you are trying to eek out AVI's etc with the MVP the transcoding is going to "steal" power from your main machine during the transcoding.

Regarding the "wimpy" CPU, I'd suggest that a client needs more processing power and especially more video power then a GPBVR backend.

Another Martin

martint123
2009-01-05, 10:07 AM
Ah, yes, I was forgetting the client PC would need big legs for your HD content from recordings and DVD's. So I'd say beefy CPU and video card minimum.