PDA

View Full Version : reboot using telnet

steveum
2008-10-15, 04:39 PM
Does somebody know how to reboot the PCH using telnet? I have seen this mentioned in a couple of threads. I would like to be able to reboot my PCH using my IPod Touch. I have heard there are some IPhone/IPod touch apps that support telnet, so I suspect this I should be able to do this.

mvallevand
2008-10-15, 05:28 PM
Linux is easy type

reboot

Martin

martint123
2008-10-15, 10:15 PM
I use putty on a PDA for telnet and as Martin says, reboot works a treat.
I don't think I've had to power off/on for a long time now - it still hangs at times, but the kernel still seems to be running enough to login and reboot it.

replaytv
2008-10-17, 12:01 AM
I often have to remember the ip of the NMT to telnet and reboot. Is there any way to make NMT session with a symbolic name so that I don't have to remember the ip address?

Thanks.

Dan L.

martint123
2008-10-17, 08:42 AM
I just telnet pch-a100 or whatever name you may have renamed it to.

mvallevand
2008-10-17, 12:27 PM
I think the named method only works if you have a harddisk installed because it really is coming via the samba share process and not dns.

The safest way would be to use dns but most home routers don't support this. The alternative is to add the ip to your hosts file which on Windows is usually
C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

Martin

martint123
2008-10-17, 01:18 PM
I think the named method only works if you have a harddisk installed because it really is coming via the samba share process and not dns.

Of course, sorry, it's from nmbd I guess. (I've got too accustomed to the internal drive).

The other option is a shortcut to telnet with the IP address as the command tail. Or putty, where it is configurable for each client.