PDA

View Full Version : Question on using suspend

MaBo
2004-03-17, 03:39 PM
Hi,
I'm using the pvr350 with gbpvr with great pleasure. But I have a problem with using the pvr and suspend. When I let te pc go to sleep and wake it up, all programs work nicely, except for the programs using the pvr. I get sound and a black screen on the tv. (gbpvr, wintv, wintvcap records only sound etc.)
From gbpvr I got lots of error messages "set ivac errors".
Only solution till now: restart the pc after which everything is fine.
Anyone got a clue what I could do??
greets,
MaBo

jui
2004-03-17, 03:48 PM
Hi MaBo,

I stopped using suspend mode. Initially it worked fine on my machine being a clean XP installation. Then I installed a new version of hauppauges drivers etc. and suddenly it did not wake up anymore. Neither with Scheduler nor with myhtpc or GBPVR. I checked everything, BIOS, software, drivers, even did a BIOS upgrade but nothing worked. So I gave up on this. Maybe I try it again after a couple of months showing ignorance to the machine ;)

Greetings
Jui

Dai
2004-03-17, 05:02 PM
I found that on XP, my computer wuld crash whenever it came out of standby.

I put 2000 on instead and found the same as you, that any application which tried to use the TV out failed after using standby.

I found that if I changed the suspend mode in my BIOS from S3 to S1, it made it so that I could go into stanby, come out and still use the TV out.

Only problem is that S1 is not as low power a state as S3. S3 saves the system state to memory and the powers down everything else, this is nice because it also turns of the power suply fan and makes the system silent when it is in standby. I also found that I can put the system into standby now by pressing the powr button on the PC or by selecting standby from the shutdown menu but it wont automatically go to standby it it is not used even if that is set in the Power Options dialog.

MaBo
2004-03-19, 09:20 AM
Dai,
I tried changing the suspend mode in the bios. However there is nothing there to choose from...

I have an asus pundit. Is there a windows utility to change the suspend mode?

Greetz,
MaBo

Dai
2004-03-19, 12:42 PM
Mabo

I don't know of one.

I went throught just about every BIOS setting to do with power setting I could find, set them to each value, restrated and tried going into standby again. Took ages :o(

The suspend mode was the only one which made a difference.

I have a VIA EPIA-M motherboard, so nothing like yours.

I think that the real problem is in the PVR 350 drivers but as I have downloaded the latest ones, there's not a lot that can be done about that.

Dai

colin
2004-03-19, 02:34 PM
I run XP (not by choice:) and use hibernate all the time. GB-PVR works great for me. I have not touched the bios on my machine, it has via chipset but i have not looked to see what the motherboard is.

I set up through the power options for the machine to got to standby then to hibernate mode.

I'll check tonight what the hauppauge drivers are but they are not the latest ones. They are from a few months ago. Basically they work for me, so i'm not in any hurry to change them.

Cheers,

Dai
2004-03-19, 03:45 PM
If you can tell me the version you're using I'll put back on XP and and try it with that version. I'd be much happier with suspend working properly rather than using a work round. Also, have you got SP1 installed on XP?

Thanks for your help

Dai

Ironic that I try to help out Mabo and get some help on my own problem :o)

MaBo
2004-03-23, 07:14 AM
Dai, yes sometimes the helper is helped more than the one that wanted to be helped...

BUT, I've been fidling around with my system, and now it can go into suspend and out of it and then the pvr is working. I don't know what I've changed but it seems that both in suspend to RAM enabled and disabled it works... Very strange.

However, now gbpvr doesn't wake the system to record a show. Sub, is there something I should do to enable this??

MaBo

colin
2004-03-23, 12:14 PM
@Dai:

sorry for not getting back sooner. Can anyone remind me where I get driver version details for the hauppage drivers? http://gbpvr.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

BTW, my setup in XP (home edition, sp1 and most other security patches that are available) for the power section is:

Under Power Schemes:
I have configured a scheme for recording which is:

"Turn of monitor: After 2 minutes"
"Turn off hard disks: After 3 minutes"
"System standby: After 5 minutes"
"System hibernates: After 10 minutes"

Under Advanced:
I have not enabled "Always show icon on the the taskbar"
I have not enabled "Prompt for password when computer resumes from standby"

For "When i press the power button on my computer" I have this set to "Shut down"

For " When I press the sleep button on my computer" I have this set to "Hibernate"

Under Hibernate:
I have enabled Hibernate

So basically, once a recording has finished and the computer is basically idling, it will go to standby in 5 minutes, then to hibernate after 10 minutes.

This works fine for me, I'll check my bios settings at some stage, but seeing as my computer is never off but lives in hibernate mode, this may be near the end of the week before I get around to this,

Cheers,

Dai
2004-03-30, 07:27 AM
Colin, thanks for the info, do you use TV out on the PVR350, cos thats the only thing causing me problems after standby by now. (unfortunately, thats pretty important for me too!)

I've been on holiday, thats why it took so long to reply.

Dai

colin
2004-03-30, 11:08 AM
ah, I've just realised that I am using a 250. Have you checked over on shspvr's forum about this? Those guys know these cards pretty much inside out.

Cheers,