PDA

View Full Version : big round PAUSE button

mvallevand
2008-07-24, 04:32 AM
The captioned thread is active on the NMT forums http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=5929 and I am curious about this

a) Do you want this in mvpmcx2 now?

b) Does it matter that you won't be able to use Enter in livetv or in any potential OSD?

c) What key would you want to replace Enter with in mvpmcx2 if Syabas implement this? mvpmcx2 wouldn't be able to intercept the pause.

Martin

Sheik Yerbouti
2008-07-24, 06:53 AM
Not for me! But I don't use the Popcorn remote, since I have a OneForAll. So my pause button is the same for every device and I've gotten quite used to it.

Chris

jksmurf
2008-07-24, 07:12 AM
The captioned thread is active on the NMT forums http://www.networkedmediatank.com/viewtopic.php?t=6215&highlight= and I am curious about this

a) Do you want this in mvpmcx2 now? NO

b) Does it matter that you won't be able to use Enter in livetv or in any potential OSD? YES. My RC is a an extension of the KB for me so Enter means "Enter". It's one of my most common keys..

c) What key would you want to replace Enter with in mvpmcx2 if Syabas implement this? mvpmcx2 wouldn't be able to intercept the pause. [caps/num]

Martin

k.

whurlston
2008-07-24, 08:02 AM
Ooh, SO not a good idea. This would seriously drop the WAF. I can see it now... "No honey, pause doesn't pause it, Enter pauses it... No, play doesn't play it, Enter plays it... Yes, Enter is Pause but it's also Play... No, only on this remote."

macgyver
2008-07-24, 08:37 AM
Ooh, SO not a good idea. This would seriously drop the WAF. I can see it now... "No honey, pause doesn't pause it, Enter pauses it... No, play doesn't play it, Enter plays it... Yes, Enter is Pause but it's also Play... No, only on this remote."
- presumably this would be in addition to the pause/play buttons so wouldn't cause that particular WAF problem?
I agree that it would appear to be a good idea but that the ENTER key may not be the best choice of key. Mind you, the real problem is obviously the lack of resume and they should put efforts into implementing that before bodging workarounds to reduce the chances of accidentally hitting STOP with no resume.

martint123
2008-07-24, 09:11 AM
If there was an option to turn this feature on/off then I suppose so.

the real problem is obviously the lack of resume

The snag is their resume is proposed as a big database thing requiring an internal drive and not a lot of use to us?

hakras
2008-07-24, 01:32 PM

This is definitely how it would go!

Ted the Penguin
2008-07-24, 03:33 PM
I too say that is is a bad idea

mvallevand
2008-07-24, 04:20 PM
I am surprised (and pleased) by these responses. I am worried that Syabas is going to react to all the "+1" comments with a "that's easy let's do it to make people happy" It's just as easy for me and no one loves the idea. I don't want to make this kind of setting configurable either, the command line will get out of control.

TtP I don't think that it necessarily a GB-PVR issue as you wrote, I don't usually like overloading function keys. A good example is the Syabas remote sharing the Volume Up/Down with Page Up/Down, it made using using this as a channel selection key impossible. I actually identifed to Syabas that having some PVR function keys on their remote would be useful if they are considering redesigning the remote (as mentionned on mpcclub).

Sheik Yerbouti, it would impact OneForAll users too because the key you have mapped for Enter will still be a Pause.

Martin

Sheik Yerbouti
2008-07-24, 05:53 PM
Sheik Yerbouti, it would impact OneForAll users too because the key you have mapped for Enter will still be a Pause.
That's the reason I don't want this to change, I like it just the way it is right now.

Chris

whurlston
2008-07-24, 06:21 PM
I am surprised (and pleased) by these responses. I am worried that Syabas is going to react to all the "+1" comments with a "that's easy let's do it to make people happy" It's just as easy for me and no one loves the idea. I don't want to make this kind of setting configurable either, the command line will get out of control.

Martin
I think those opposed should also post to that thread.

Ted the Penguin
2008-07-24, 06:29 PM
oh we have ;)

whurlston
2008-07-24, 07:14 PM
oh we have ;)I see that now. A page refresh helped. :D

steveum
2008-07-30, 04:43 PM
It seems like a nice feature to me. I find myself searching for that little pause botton all the time.

mvallevand
2008-07-30, 10:14 PM
I actually agree, my wife hits stop half the time, but I just can't see the caps button having high WAF.

Martin

mvallevand
2008-08-25, 03:06 AM
The people wanting this are very vocal. Here is the second go'round.

http://www.networkedmediatank.com/showthread.php?tid=7258

Martin

martint123
2008-08-25, 03:29 PM
It is certainly very frustrating to accidentally hit the stop key instead of pause or play when watching a time-shifted show and then find you have no way to catch up to where you where.

Ted the Penguin
2008-08-25, 03:30 PM
are we going to mention that it will break some third party apps again? or do we want to trust that the developers will remember that from the first thread?

Barsk
2008-08-26, 07:05 AM
Well, I have looked at the responses and I see mostly are negative to this feature. I however think it would be a nice feature.

Previously being a gb-pvr buff I use Zoom Player a lot with just the mouse interface. There it was just a matter of hitting the left mouse button to play/pause. Quick, intuitive and simple. I find it tedious to find these little pause and play buttons on the PCH remote. And the fact that neither of them works as a toggle is even more frustrating

/Barsk

sub
2008-08-26, 07:11 AM
Well, I have looked at the responses and I see mostly are negative to this feature. I however think it would be a nice feature.

I find it tedious to find these little pause and play buttons on the PCH remote. And the fact that neither of them works as a toggle is even more frustratingI entirely agree. The issues was really that we already use the enter button for another task in GB-PVR though. (after typing channel number in live tv, pressing the enter key triggers a channel change)

Barsk
2008-08-26, 07:18 AM
I entirely agree. The issues was really that we already use the enter button for another task in GB-PVR though. (after typing channel number in live tv, pressing the enter key triggers a channel change)

Hmm, I see. A possible solution to that may be to skip to a channel WITHOUT hitting enter. I.e hit nr 5 and after half a sec the channel changes automatically. If during that half a sec you push another number it is added. I.e 2 + 4 = channel 24. Not sure it is possible to implement though? But it would free the enter key for a pause/play toggle.

sub
2008-08-26, 07:28 AM
That was an option I've thought about, but unfortunately thats at odds with other things we hope to be able to do. For example, with GB-PVR on the PC, what you type after a number dictates a different action (for example, 6+enter=change to channel 6, 6+skipforward=skip forward 6 minutes, 6+skipback=skip back 6 minutes etc....).

It also make things seem slower because you have wait a second or so to decide if the user is going to press another key or not. (and sometimes they were going to, but were quick enough etc)

Barsk
2008-08-26, 07:31 AM
That was an option I've thought about, but unfortunately thats at odds with other things we hope to be able to do. For example, with GB-PVR on the PC, what you type after a number dictates a different action (for example, 6+enter=change to channel 6, 6+skipforward=skip forward 6 minutes, 6+skipback=skip back 6 minutes etc....).

It also make things seem slower because you have wait a second or so to decide if the user is going to press another key or not. (and sometimes they were going to, but were quick enough etc)

Hmm again. Ok, maybe we a out of luck finding a good solution on the enter key. But is there another key that can be used? Or is it possible to at least change that darn pause or play button to work as a toggle?

mvallevand
2008-08-26, 10:58 AM
Hmm again. Ok, maybe we a out of luck finding a good solution on the enter key. But is there another key that can be used? Or is it possible to at least change that darn pause or play button to work as a toggle?

We have come in full circle to my first post. I actually aren't as concerned with losing it during live tv as I am if and when we get an OSD while media is playing.

The Pause key is overloaded too, it turns pause into single frame play, so it can't really be a toggle.

Martin

Barsk
2008-08-26, 11:26 AM
We have come in full circle to my first post. I actually aren't as concerned with losing it during live tv as I am if and when we get an OSD while media is playing.

The Pause key is overloaded too, it turns pause into single frame play, so it can't really be a toggle.

Martin
Yep, I am aware of the single frame play. However I can easily loose that for a pause/play toggle. On the other hand, the play button is not overloaded is it?

Other than that, I realize you guys have more knowledge than me in how this should be implemented. So I'll leave it to you. If an OSD is the solution I say, go for it.

mvallevand
2008-08-27, 04:46 AM
This is actually one thing I am going to push or fight for, I leave that to GB-PVR users. I am not optimizing the remote for GB-PVR, since the concept of emulation mode is to be a "dumb client" that makes the best use of what the vendor provides.

The play key is too complicated, it also toggles the state of ffwd and rewind and frame step.

Martin