PDA

View Full Version : PCH Clogging up network

Blue Racer
2008-07-03, 02:39 PM
Ever since I've purchased the pch I've been getting "Unable to connect" messages when I'm browsing the internet with mozilla firefox. I usually reboot my router and cable modem and the problem goes away for a little while. But then it comes back. I'm usually rebooting my router and cable modem 2 or 3 times a day or so. I temporarily disconnected my pch and the problem appears to have gone away, at least so far. I was just wondering if anybody else has had this problem? I posted a similar message on the pch message boards but never got any replies.

mvallevand
2008-07-03, 03:23 PM
I have been having a major no connect problem for a while now with Mozilla 2 and now 3 but only with forums.gbpvr.com so I relate it to some combination of vbulletin, Firefox, NoScript or AdAware.

Martin

philly_phenom
2008-07-03, 04:32 PM
During the time you are experience problems, can you still communicate with the router? Does the PCH still work (ie: can you run gbpvr on the PCH)?

Is your router in a place where it can breath? Sometimes switches & routers can fail (or run in extremely diminished capacity) if they get to hot. I had an issue with one of my switches, but when I moved it outside of the cabinet, I haven't had a problem since.

HtV
2008-07-03, 04:34 PM
I only use Firefox 3 (no Adaware or NoScript) and don't have any problems.
So I'd search in the anti-virus/spyware direction.

Hans

zed
2008-07-03, 04:34 PM
Hmmm...I've been having connect problems between my GB-PVR client box and the server. Cycling the router and or switch clears it up for a while. It's very annoying and I thought that it was a bad switch but replacing it didn't fix it. I also have a PCH on the same segment as the server. I'll try shutting it down & seeing if it makes a difference. A look at the network with a sniffer might be interesting too...

Blue Racer
2008-07-03, 05:17 PM
philly_phenom,
Yes I can still use gbpvr on the pch when it happens. I haven't change the location of my router. Its just under my computer desk, not enclosed in anything. The only thing that really changed was the addition of the pch. It hasn't really happened since I unplugged the pch, but I'll have to see how it goes the rest of the day.

mvallevand
2008-07-03, 05:31 PM
I've had ethereal sniffing going on several times and the PCH doesn't seem to generate a lot of traffic. There is the UPnP nonsense, and if mvpmcx2 is running there will be Hauppauge protocol heartbeat and the GBPVR screensaver the same as for the MVP, but these shouldn't affect the network.

Edit: If you are running BT then network use is really up to you.

Martin

zed
2008-07-03, 08:08 PM
Edit: If you are running BT then network use is really up to you.

BT? :confused:

philly_phenom
2008-07-03, 08:47 PM
BT? :confused:

BitTorrent

Blue Racer
2008-07-17, 11:44 AM
Zed,
Did you ever determine if the PCH was causing the problem? I unplugged my pch for about a week and didn't have any problems with mozilla pulling up screens. But within 24 hours of restarting up the PCH the problem returned. Maybe I'll play around with the ethereal sniffing that Martin did to see what I see on my system.

Blue Racer
2008-07-17, 02:23 PM
Martin,
I ran ethereal sniffer (WireShark) on my computer to check out the network activity going on. I ran it for about 5 minutes and captured the output to the attached file. During this time I was not using the computer or the PCH. I don't know much about this. I see a lot of activity between my gbpvr computer and the PCH. I am not sure if its normal activity or something wrong is going on. If you or anyone else could take a look I would greatly appreciate it. The IP addresses are:
PCH 192.168.0.6
GBPVR Computer 192.168.0.4

zed
2008-07-17, 03:20 PM
Zed,
Did you ever determine if the PCH was causing the problem? ...

I unplugged the PCH and still had issues. I think it's my router...if I power-cycle it when I have problems it seems to fix it for a while. I did do some network sniffing and the PCH did not seem to be generating an inordinate amount of network traffic.

martint123
2008-07-17, 04:01 PM
<i>I think it's my router.</i>

I think using DNS services of a router can be troublesome. I now setup my PC's to use either ISP or public DNS servers. I've had a number of oddities with a few routers and it seems to be cleared up by avoiding the in-built DNS servers.

mvallevand
2008-07-17, 05:45 PM
There's nothing unusual or at all excessive that I can see in the network trace it actually seems quite tame. There is the normal 10 seconds handshake, the screen saver and UPnP. Perhaps you aren't use network traces?

Martin

zed
2008-07-17, 11:29 PM
<i>I think it's my router.</i>

I think using DNS services of a router can be troublesome. ...

My problem is with my internal lan. I have a router and two switches. The switches are connected to the router and the various computers are connected to the switches. One of the switches loses contact with the router periodically. It's the switch that has my GB-PVR server attached to it. It's as if the cable was disconnected. The other switch never seems to have a problem and the wireless part of the router works fine as well. If I power cycle the router, it will all work again for a while, anywhere from a few minutes to a couple weeks. I've replaced both switches without any effect. I've upgraded the router (Linksys WRT54GL) firmware but no effect there either. It looks like the router may be hosed so the next step is to swap it out. If that doesn't do it, it must be a cable or connector. It's quite a PITA.

stustunz
2008-07-18, 01:25 AM
I have been having a major no connect problem for a while now with Mozilla 2 and now 3 but only with forums.gbpvr.com so I relate it to some combination of vbulletin, Firefox, NoScript or AdAware.

Martin
no thats to do with our shit telecom service here in new zealand i reckon :)