PDA

View Full Version : Blank Screen on Popcorn Hour starting GBPVR

richard_mk
2008-05-27, 04:52 PM
Hi all - excuse the newbie questions.

I have a PCH A-100 with latest stable firmware and my server is a Windows Home Server (currently not firewalled)

I have installed latest GBVPR, all necessary patches and config.xml changes and installed scripts and mvpmcx2 on the appropriate share. PCH can run telnet script successfully - I can telnet into the PCH without problems. But when I select the gbpvr script I get a blank screen and no remote keys will recover the PCH menus - I have to unlug/replug the PCH power lead.

I have noticed that your survival guide says that PVXR2.exe should be in the firewall exceptions (does not apply to me as I have firewall disabled). However because my WHS is headless it has only basic onboard Intel 945GC graphics and does not therefore have the VMR9 renderer. So to test GBPVR on my WHS I usually run GBPVR.exe (old interface). Could this be the cause of my problems?

Thanks
Richard

mvallevand
2008-05-27, 05:41 PM
I originally tested both PVRx2.exe and GBPVR.exe to confirm compatibility with emulation mode code, however GBPVR.exe can only supports SD menus which explains your black screens.

Most of the other PCH enhancements won't work anyway so PVRx2.exe is the only support MVPServer now, and with the release of 1.2.13 this is a moot point.

Martin

richard_mk
2008-05-27, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the quick reply Martin.

Just to be clear then - using the current mvpmcx2 code, my PCH will be served by PVRx2.exe regardless. If PVRx2.exe will not run for me on the PC (due to lack of VMR9), will that stop it working as a networked server too? If this is the case, I will need to get a minimal spec graphics card to get VMR9 capability.

Does this sound right?
Thanks again
Richard

sub
2008-05-27, 05:58 PM
It doesnt need VMR9 support to run as a MVP/PCH server. If you have the auto start server setting set to at least one, then look in the process list you'll see PVRX2.exe running.

haripj
2008-05-28, 02:20 PM
PCH can run telnet script successfully - I can telnet into the PCH without problems. But when I select the gbpvr script I get a blank screen and no remote keys will recover the PCH menus - I have to unlug/replug the PCH power lead.

I know its basic stuff, but you did not use Notepad to do any editing of the script files correct?

Sheik Yerbouti
2008-05-28, 02:47 PM
Could it be that Windows home server has the same problem as Vista?

Survival guide:

Some Vista have reported they have had to replace username=guest with username=root and if their share is read/write they needed to replace ,ro with ,rw too.

Chris

dirkomatic
2008-05-28, 07:41 PM
That was a problem when I put it on my WHS... Use the root solution as documented for Vista.

richard_mk
2008-05-30, 02:16 PM
Thanks sheikh and dirkomatic - that did the trick. I get the telnetd started message and can access the GBPVR interface well. :)

However I don't seem to have the telnet access at all - just fails to connect when i telnet <pocorn ip>:23

It may be permissions as I have been trying to use a hard disk version of the scripts etc rather than the network share version. The mvpmc directory on my popcorn HD is seems to be read-only from Windows/Samba and as telnet is not working i can't seem to change any files.

Still progress is great and looking forward to using 1.2.13 next.

Sheik Yerbouti
2008-05-30, 06:13 PM
Thanks sheikh and dirkomatic - that did the trick. I get the telnetd started message and can access the GBPVR interface well. :)

Great news!

mvallevand
2008-05-31, 05:22 AM
It may be permissions as I have been trying to use a hard disk version of the scripts etc rather than the network share version. The mvpmc directory on my popcorn HD is seems to be read-only from Windows/Samba and as telnet is not working i can't seem to change any files.

If you installed a pre-formatted NTFS drive into a PCH it will be read-only.
You would need to use the PCH utilities to setup it up and reformat it with a linux file system if you want it to be easily read-write.

Martin