PDA

View Full Version : All I get is a blank screen on my PCH!

hockings
2008-04-15, 01:04 PM
Hi!
I've just tried setting up gbpvr on my PC without any luck using the installation and survival guide.

I've gotten the telnet to work so my SMB settings etc are obviously correct.

However, when I select gbpvr off the "telnet.html" menu, my screen goes black and my PCH locks up.
I'd originally named my share "popcornhour" but changed it back to the standard "mvpmc" in case that was the cause (it wasn't).
I've tried turning off my firewall entirely, and that's not it either.
The files were edited with vim (vi for windows) so they're in "unix" format.

I've looked at the error logs, and they don't mean anything to me - I did spot this though :

2008-04-15 22:32:36.828 VERBOSE m_pD3DDev->Present() failed
Error code : 80004005
E_FAIL
An undetermined error occurred

Please find the logs attached with my cgi files and my config.xml.

I've tried changing the PCH resolution (within the default PCH interface) to 720p from my usual 1080p.

I have applied all (4?) updates in the thread for the incremental screen updates, HD interface etc, to a fresh install.

I hope you can help me to get this working!!!
Cheers!
Shane

mvallevand
2008-04-16, 02:25 AM
Sorry hockings I missed this post earlier, for some reason I can't get notifications as messages are posted to this forum.

Unfortunately I don't see anything obvious. Rather then running the gbpvr.cgi file from telnet could you run the following from telnet

killall gaya
/etc/mvpmc/mvpmcx2 -m 720 --frequency 50

If you see the message Querying host parameters repeating it would appear to be a firewall problem.

Martin

Lindsay
2008-04-16, 03:09 AM
At the risk of sounding like I am trying to teach my grandmother to suck eggs, Martin, shouldn't he be running Telnetd first? If I just run GBPVR first up I get what he appears to get - a black screen and a power up required.

mvallevand
2008-04-16, 03:14 AM
Lindsay is correct that each time you power up the PCH you must run the telnet script to initialize the system before you run the gbpvr script. I will modify the gbpvr script to avoid this.

Martin

hockings
2008-04-16, 03:34 AM
Martin - It'll probably be a couple of days before I can test this out unfortunately, but I'll give it a go and get back to you. Worst case I'll try a reinstall and see how it goes.
What do I need to execute on my pc? Anything? After I've run and exited the config / setup exe I get something sitting in the task bar. Do I need to run this (or some other gbpvr service/program), or is just having the share available sufficient?

Thanks for the help so far!!!

hockings
2008-04-16, 03:35 AM
Ah, I'll try running the telnet first as well. At a guess what's probably happened is that I've run telnet and tested successfully. I've then tried gbpvr and had the firewall on (or didn't have that m.... program whatever it is - in the right directory, I remember I'd put it in the wrong place originally) when I tried gbpvr, and it's locked up. I've then restarted the PCH, haven't rerun telnetd, and all subsequent attempts to run gbpvr have failed due to the telnetd problem.

Thanks for pointing this out, I'll try it and see if that sorts out the issue.

mvallevand
2008-04-16, 04:08 AM
hockings, by the looks of things you have done enough for mvpmcx2 to connect to GB-PVR. The only thing that might cause a problem is you are setup to use C:\Temp for Recordings and Livetv and it doesn't exist by default in Windows.

Martin

hockings
2008-04-16, 12:44 PM
Okey doke, here's the latest.

Windows and antivirus firewalls are turned off.
Telnetd started on the PCH.
Successfully telnetted to the PCH.

Please see attached output for the results of running

killall gaya
/etc/mvpmc/mvpmcx2 -m 720 --frequency 50
within the telnet window.

Here are the major errors it popped up in red to save you hunting for them :D

(!) SMP863x: em86_add_video_mode: Trying to add an unsupported video mode; ignoring
(*) SMP863x: HDMI: Adding VIC 34
(!) SMP863x: em86_add_video_mode: Trying to add an unsupported video mode; ignoring

(!) SMP863x: em86_check_encoders_compatibility FAILED: Not a valid standard-sign
al-connector combination: DSETV_HDTV50-DSOS_720p-DSOC_HDMI, DSETV_HDTV50-DSOS_72
0p-DSOC_YCrCb, DSETV_NTSC-DSOS_NTSC-DSOC_CVBS!
(!?!) *** BUG [em86_sglobals2dfb_generate_best_config: Encoder configs are not
compatible !
] *** [../../gfxdrivers/em86xx/em86xx_internals.c:6944 in em86_compute_best_comp
onent_encoder_config()]
(!) SMP863x: Couldn't compute best Component encoder configuration !
(!) SMP863x: Outputs configuration FAILED - attempting to restore the last worki
ng config...
(*) SMP863x: HDMI not specified (engine -1), no configuration required

This one wasn't red, but it still doesn't look healthy...

(!) DirectFB/Core: Could not initialize 'screens' core!

mvallevand
2008-04-16, 08:05 PM
I can only go by what your tv says

Not a valid standard-signal-connector combination: DSETV_HDTV50-DSOS_720p-DSOC_HDMI

So I'd try the following (in order) you can try them all from telnet

-m 720

-m 1080

-m 1080 --frequency 50

-m pal --edtv --display 1280x720

Martin

hockings
2008-04-16, 10:47 PM
Thanks Martin - I'll give those a try. I'm glad to see the errors mean something to someone because they surely didn't to me!!!!

hockings
2008-04-17, 10:29 AM
-m 1080 and it's working like a charm! Thanks for helping out on this!!!

I can't get music to work, and the text at the top of the screen is slightly cut off, and I started a picture slideshow and couldn't get it to stop... But movies work at least! I'll investigate whether the others are known bugs or whether I'm just "special".

mvallevand
2008-04-17, 03:02 PM
hockings, I don't think your problems are unque or even uncommon, they sound like configuratin issues and not bugs.

The screen resolution issue relate to the overscan of your monitor and should be able to be resolved by playing around with the screen offset settings in config.xml. If you have trouble with this there is a plugin on the GBPVR wiki called MVPPosition that makes this easy.

If all audio including mp3, doesn't play, the problem is most likely related to accessing files from a share, ie you have have configured a drive letter instead of a UNC \\##.##.##.## format. Your problem might also be that you haven't provided a user name and and password to allow connecting to a remote share that is password protected. If mp3's play but FLAC, wma,
don't the problem is most likely that you don't have a C:\TEMP folder. The audio portion of GBPVR still is doing on-the-fly transcoding of non-mp3 audio even though the source file going to the PCH is native format Zipping and attaching your GBPVR logs would help determine the cause.

To stop a photo slideshow use the Return key not Stop.

Martin

dragonlord76
2008-04-17, 04:28 PM
I can only go by what your tv says

Not a valid standard-signal-connector combination: DSETV_HDTV50-DSOS_720p-DSOC_HDMI

So I'd try the following (in order) you can try them all from telnet

-m 720

-m 1080

-m 1080 --frequency 50

-m pal --edtv --display 1280x720

Martin

I have the same problem with blank/black screen. You suggest telnet but telnet from within PCH? or how? where? or should I add to "startmeup" file?

My Sony lcd can handle up to 1080p24. Though my PCH current display setting is only 1080i60 due to my receiver limitation.

sub
2008-04-17, 04:37 PM
I have the same problem with blank/black screen. You suggest telnet but telnet from within PCH? or how? where?Basically you need to use a telnet client (like putty http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/latest/x86/putty.exe) to connect to the PCH. When you start putty, set the connection type to 'telnet', then type in the ip address of your PCH, then press connect.

Change to the correct directory by typing:

cd /etc/mvpmv

Then try manually running each of the command lines you want to test. For example:

./mvpmcx2 -m 1080

dragonlord76
2008-04-17, 09:53 PM
I couldn't wait so I drove home just now to try telnet command...guess what...it works with -m 720 but doesn't with -m 1080 (maybe I need to restart both PCH and GB-PVR?). This is GREAT!!! I love it, much better GUI then original PCH gui. Now it is time to mess around with my DVB-S...:D:D

Another question, I read other thread where you can combine the telnet to computer and run GB-PVR from PCH all in one. Is that possible? Is there a easier way to do it? I want to make it easy so my wife and kids can just run it with one click.

mvallevand
2008-04-17, 10:16 PM
I am so against people trying to combine scripts that I will leave this forum to work more on mvpmc if I see these discussions continuing. Now that the firmware supports the [] keys from the remote it is trivial to store the the two scripts as Media Source entries.

For example when I start here is what I need to do to get gbpvr.

Source
Return

After the pseudo power off of GBPVR to get back to the PCH it is just

Source

Martin

dragonlord76
2008-04-17, 11:23 PM
I am so against people trying to combine scripts that I will leave this forum to work more on mvpmc if I see these discussions continuing. Now that the firmware supports the [] keys from the remote it is trivial to store the the two scripts as Media Source entries.

For example when I start here is what I need to do to get gbpvr.

Source
Return

After the pseudo power off of GBPVR to get back to the PCH it is just

Source

Martin

Sorry, I don't intend to combine script or anything cuz I don't even know how...I just ran across the thread so I just brought it up to make it easier to use if possible for me and my family. Now as you mention using [], I don't even understand what to do as you describe above. Is there anywhere that I can find and read step by step?

hockings
2008-04-17, 11:37 PM
Hi Martin,
As I put in my post, I didn't think that I was necessarily the only one having these issues so I plan to look through the forums today to work out how to solve them. I appreciate setting up the PCH interface to gbpvr is is not (at least at this point) a one click install procedure and that the initial configuration does not necessarily suit everyones requirements.
I just found that, as far as I could tell, I followed the procedure listed for getting the PCH and gbprv to work and it's not working as I expected (eg. you have to run telnet before gbpvr each time you turn the PCH on is not intuitive). I plan to do some more investigation on the forums and some testing and I'll see where I go from there.

Without trying to upset you though, as a matter of interest I don't understand what you would have against people combining scripts? In an ideal world, I want to turn the PCH on and have gbpvr come straight up (or press 1 button to get there). From what I've found out about the PCH and gbpvr so far I don't see how that is going to be possible without a "one-stop-shop" script. Source-5-Return-6 is not exactly wife-friendly.
If people are continuing the discussions - it seems to me that they're doing it because there's something they want that doesn't work or exist with the existing setup - or it's not sufficiently described as to why combining script functions is not possible, or why it's a bad idea.
Not everyone wants this as a device to hack - some of us just want to turn it on and use it as simply as possible.

mvallevand
2008-04-18, 12:09 AM
You should really complain to Syabas about how hard it is to run user apps and not me, they promised it last November.

That being said the reason that it is two fold is simple,

1. Initialize shares and all user apps
2. Run GBPVR.

Maybe calling step 1 Telnet is confusing.

I am against combining scripts right now because having two apps isn't the problem, the problem is people missing important steps in the survival guide setup. The reality is you have to get a share working in step 1 before going on to step 2 and many people have trouble with this. Once you combine them you are going to end up in situations where won't be able to start telnet to run startmeup or mvpcmx2 to actually test things.

It's not a question of being upset, I don't want complicate things even more than they are already.

That being said if you use an internal HDD it is easy to write instructions where GBPVR comes up on power up. I just figured most people wouldn't want this. My bet is this is going to be the Syabas solution.

Martin

mvallevand
2008-04-18, 12:21 AM
Sorry, I don't intend to combine script or anything cuz I don't even know how...I just ran across the thread so I just brought it up to make it easier to use if possible for me and my family. Now as you mention using [], I don't even understand what to do as you describe above. Is there anywhere that I can find and read step by step?

(Sorry I also make a mistake on this I mean Web Services, not Media Source)

To do this, on the PCH go to the Web Service screen. At the top left there is a choice Edit. Choose this option and scroll to an empty one and enter the name you want that you think has the best WAF and then the url taken from telnet.html (the line that is http://.../script.cgi or http://.../gbpvr.cgi. You wouldn't want to do this until the telnet.html file is working of course. Note you don't need %20 these will accept spaces.

I you have a USB keyboard plugging this in makes it a heck of a lot easier

Martin

hockings
2008-04-18, 12:39 AM
Hi Martin,
Thanks for the reply. I understand what you were saying now and why you wouldn't want them combined.

Thanks again for all your help!
Shane

haripj
2008-05-16, 04:50 PM
(Sorry I also make a mistake on this I mean Web Services, not Media Source)

To do this, on the PCH go to the Web Service screen. At the top left there is a choice Edit. Choose this option and scroll to an empty one and enter the name you want that you think has the best WAF and then the url taken from telnet.html (the line that is http://.../script.cgi or http://.../gbpvr.cgi. You wouldn't want to do this until the telnet.html file is working of course. Note you don't need %20 these will accept spaces.

I you have a USB keyboard plugging this in makes it a heck of a lot easier

Martin

I have to manually get to the Web services screen each time. Pressing "Source" takes me to the Media Source screen where the mvpmc folder shows up as a share. I have already set up GBPVR as a URL in the Web services screen and it works from that screen. Is there a button on the remote that would take me straight to the Web services screen (not the Media Source screen)?