PDA

View Full Version : Zprocess transcode onMVP - "Transcoder died early"

the.tangoman
2008-03-28, 11:18 PM
dear Frank Z,

I hope you can offer some help, i have been trying everything to get my setup working - i think i have aready and tried all your posts and Wiki's, not sure what am i missing?.

I have a H4 MVP (via UTP), using the latest versions of GBPVR and Zprocess.
Router is a wrt54gs (running dd-wrt, but test all sorts of other firmware.)
Laptop is a winXP (all updated SP's), 1Gb ram, p4 M 2.4Ghz. tested via 54g wifi and 100mb wired.

I cannot initiate a transcoding via the MVP. It works fine when i test everything via the zproccess2.exe interface and also if i execute the runtranscode.cmd file.

The error after a failed request from the MVP seems very similar in all cases, i have attached some log for you to see. "Transcoder died early.."

Some of the other tests - with the same error:

I have tried both the trans2mvp.exe install and the .reg type install
I have played with the pre-start delay times and pushed to max
I have tried mplayer rc1 and 3,
ffmpeg (stock version and your suggest version),
i have also tried VLC.
excutting "RunTranscode.cmd" on the PC and the transcodeing fires off and runs perfectly - producing a correct output file.
Moved and renamed files to 8.3 standard (file and directory)

Any thoughts i what else i can try?
S.

the.tangoman
2008-04-04, 03:38 PM
Must be a hard problem, No replies at all. Not even any suggestions?!

An update:

I have now (hopefully) ruled out the laptop/PC side setup. I had a 2nd clean install (OEM) HP lappie from work. Loaded up BPPVR and then all the Zprocess stuff as per instrutions. Exactly the same problem.

I now hope/think it is a MVP issue.

I am using the WirelessMVP H4 model (although i am using it wired).

Does anyone else have Zproces working with a H4 wMVP?

Thanks,
S.

zehd
2008-04-04, 04:45 PM

An update:

I have now (hopefully) ruled out the laptop/PC side setup. I had a 2nd clean install (OEM) HP lappie from work. Loaded up BPPVR and then all the Zprocess stuff as per instrutions. Exactly the same problem.

I am using the WirelessMVP H3 model (although i am using it wired).

Does anyone else have Zproces working with a H3 wMVP?

Thanks,
S.

It's not a hard problem. It's difficult to explain. I'm still trying to figure out5 what to have you do next...

What I did notice is that you haven't sent me the complete ZProcess.log. Nor the ZERITECHRegSettings.txt file. If you wouln't mind.

Also, I do have a day job. I can't always get back to people as quick as other times... Have patience

zehd
2008-04-04, 04:54 PM
Opi is having a similar problem to this, from this thread...
http://forums.gbpvr.com/showthread.php?p=268310#post268310

I have a couple of things for both of you to do, while I finish my day of work and have a hard look.

Yes, ZProcess does things a bit different lately, in recent versions. It reads a log file generated by the transcoder, and discerns the fps and percentage complete...

I have noticed that this technique has made the default version of FFmpeg that comes with GB-PVR obsolete. Two versions of ffmpeg that I know work for me are linked on the wiki. I would create a different folder for the ffmpeg, like 'FFmpeg_rev12665'...

I think that both of you are using MEncoder, and you're having troubles, so I would like you to download the FFmpg, and change the settings in ZProcess over to FFmpeg.

Tangoman, download the test videos from my wiki page too, and test them...

Then when you are finished testing I'd like you both to send me all the logs again,. The ZProcess2.log will show the versions of the programs you are using. That's why You shouldn't be cutting them up...

IN the mean time, I'll think some more.

zehd
2008-04-05, 02:30 AM
I've been thinking about this all day, and I've decided to write a couple of posts regarding installation. I'll probably be putting this on the wiki. If I talk about things that you already know, I apologize. I just don't want to miss anything...

Without ZProcess...
When ZProcess is not installed, GB-PVR calls FFmpeg.exe directly. It is installed by default in the [Program Files]\devnz\gbpvr\Third Party\ffmpeg folder. The file size of the version that with GB-PVR is 6477312

(Many of the files have version numbers, but are not easily attained. I use file size for comparison)

Inside the config.xml there will be a few lines of interest:

<MVPTranscodeUsingFFmpeg>true</MVPTranscodeUsingFFmpeg>
(Must be set to true to have either ZProcess or FFmpeg transcode on- the- fly)

<MVPFFmpegTranscodeCmdLinePAL>-y -i "{SOURCE_FILE}" -b 2400k -ar 48000 -ac 2 -ab 128 -r 25 -s 352x288 -f svcd "{DEST_FILE}"</MVPFFmpegTranscodeCmdLinePAL>
<MVPFFmpegTranscodeCmdLineNTSC>-y -i "{SOURCE_FILE}" -b 2400k -ar 48000 -ac 2 -ab 128 -r 29.97 -s 352x240 -f svcd "{DEST_FILE}"</MVPFFmpegTranscodeCmdLineNTSC>

With this configuration, when you try to play a non-mpg video with your MVP, GB-PVR will call ffmpeg and use the defaults stored in the above strings.

Of course wide screen videos will not play correctly on a 4x3 TV and everyone will be tall and skinny....

But a key thing to check is, does GB-PVR play the videos straight through?

When you click the 'blue' key on the remote and see the status bar, is the end time increasing faster than the current position?

If your computer cannot play a video straight through, you shouldn't bother with ZProcess yet. ZProcess can improve your processing, and in some cases may speed up the transcode, but if your computer is struggling now, find out why.

Maybe you have a very powerful computer, but your have many programs running at the same time. Maybe there is just one program that is cranking on your Hard Drive and CPU, and your computer can't breathe... Whatever the reason, you have to find out at this point before proceeding...

zehd
2008-04-05, 02:39 AM
ZProcess - using default version of FFmpeg...

ZProcess and ZTranscode can still use the default versioni of ffmpeg that comes with GB-PVR. I've just started using a couple of altrenate versions that I find are better, faster, and can do dvr-ms files.

And it spits out a current frame rate that ZProcess can read and display. So for troubleshooting purposes I would prefer you to use an alternate version of FFmpeg. I will discuss that in the next post...

The ZProcess is set to use exactly the same default settings that one would find in the config.xml for use with the default ffmpeg. All except for the output dimensions.

ZProcess has set the defaults for output dimensions of 640x480 (NTSC) and 640x576 (PAL). The actual original defaults are 352x240 and 352x288 respectively. These lower specs are much easier on a processor, but the quality is not as good.

If you are having trouble getting ZProcess to work, try changing the output dimensions to the smaller rectangles...

zehd
2008-04-05, 02:45 AM
ZProcess - Alternate FFmpeg...

Last year, someone gave me a version of ffmpeg that would do dvr-ms files. That version is still available on the wiki.
http://gbpvr.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Utility/ZProcess?action=downloadman&upname=ffmpeg-alt.zip

Just recently, I discovered a version of ffmpeg that I like very much. It seems to also handle dvr-ms files very well, but also transcodes a variety of file formats. And I have found some files transcoding much much faster than the original...

http://tirnanog.fate.jp/mirror/ffmpeg/ffmpeg.rev12665.7z

I strongly suggest that you download the latter of the two versions. But do not bother overwriting the default version of ffmpeg. I would create a brand new folder to hold the alternate version of ffmpeg.

I use: C:\Program Files\devnz\gbpvr\Third Party\FFmpeg_rev12665

(International users can use their native folder convetion ('c:\programme...')

To tell ZProcess to start using the newer version of ffmpeg, open the config settings and click Paths, and then double click on the ffmpeg path. Locate and OK the new file...

The alternate version of FFmpeg has a file size of 7945216

Of course to be sure that ZProcess is always using FFMPeg, you must change the preferred transcoder in the config, from MEncoder (the default) to FFmpeg...

zehd
2008-04-05, 03:01 AM
Testing with ZProcess and the Alt FFmpeg...

Assuming that your are with me still, you got through a succesful on-the-fly transcode with the defaults with GB-PVR using ffmpeg, and with the picture being squished...

And you have downloaded the alternate ffmpeg, and told ZProcess to use it.

Let's manually transcode something. I have several test videos that I'd like to use for this walkthrough.

http://www.epgtools.com/Zehd/16-9%20Pattern-tests.zip

In the zip are two transcoded mpgs, that you can check to be sure your MVP can play, and one test wmv file.

Run ZTranscode and double click on the Input File text box and load the 16x9 pattern.wmv file... The file information should show that it is a 16x9 video...

(There is one thing that is assumed here. You have Mencoder already installed. We will discuss using it later, but for now, it's sister, mplayer is used to get the file information of the wmv, so if you don't have it installed, your better back up and get that done)

Click the start and pay attention to the percentage and the framerate...

As discussed previously, the framerate MUST be faster than the video playback framerate. In fact it really should be A LOT faster than the playback framerate. NTSC usually plays back at 23.97 or 29.97 Frame Per Second, while PAL usually has a fps of 25...

But just a couple frames faster, just ain't gonna cut it. Make sure that it is at least around 45 give or take.

A way to see what the framerate would be under load would be to start Viewing the file while it's being transcoded. (You'll notice how it slows down a bit when you view the file)

zehd
2008-04-05, 03:24 AM
Troubleshooting

OK, so now if it is working OK, we can take a moment and get familiarized with some log files that I might need if things don't work so well later...

The main one is usually ZProcess2.log found in your 'mvp_cache' folder which was created in your GB-PVR Recordings directory. Actually there's a dated folder that contains the files. The cache will last only as long as set in the config (later)

There will also be a fps log that is associated with the file you just transcoded. This can give you a clear idea of when the file started having trouble...(if the fps starts out fast and then slowly decelerates, you have a problem you have to look for...)

In the Application directory, the folder containing ZProcess and ZTranscode, you will find ZERITECH-Regsettings.txt, transcode.log, GetDimensions.bat, dimensions.info, and RunTranscode.cmd. All of these files can be used to help understand what problems you may be having and provide clues.

It's a lot to zip together. Try not to edit any of the files.

Now, once we have ZTranscode manually transcoding a file, we can try using ZProcess. In a way it's the same operation. Open the program, load a show, and click start. ZProcess should call ZTranscode, and you should see a flashing green icon in the system tray. (That's ZTranscode working away)

Now let's take a look at the logs. In the ZProcess2log, look for something that reads like this...

'2008-04-04 9:16:29 PM : ZT: *** 1.421875 'First Frames from Transcoder'.'

(That's 1.42 seconds from first starting ZProcess, to the first frames of video being generated. BTW, this is where I spent an awful lot of time, to get it faster and faster. I finally realized that the real bottle neck was the transcoder itself (ffmpeg or mencoder) that takes a majority of the time before first frames...)

You can use this to help decide how much PrePlay Delay you need with GB-PVR. By Default, a 5.5 second delay should give ZProcess/ZTranscode/FFmpeg enough time to start transcoding and build up enough of a lead, before the MVP starts displaying video... But sometimes it's not. If your 'seconds to first frames' is much more than mine (1.5 secs) than increase your preplay to about 7500 milliseconds...

It's at this point, if ZProcess doesn't create enough video in time, that the MVP would crash. (It might play the sorry video if you have that installed)

zehd
2008-04-05, 03:32 AM
Trying out MEncoder

If you like FFmpeg, then you might just wanna stay with it. But Mencoder can help with subtitles, picture quality adjustment, sound normalization, and for many file formats, is much faster.

(Actaully, ZProcess will auto switch between the two transcoders for some file formats. Eg: Even if you have the preferred transcoder set to MEncoder, if you want to see a dvr-ms, it auto switches to FFmpeg... Currently mp4 is the same)

The version that I have been using very successfully is RC2.

http://www3.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/releases/win32/MPlayer-mingw32-1.0rc1.zip

I have it saved to a folder 'C:\Program Files\MPlayer-1.0rc2' and I pointed ZProcess to that non default folder...

Some people have reported trouble using rc2. I don't know why. I'm starting to suspect that there are processor specific versions of MEncoder out there. I'm developing on a AMD Sempron, but the same build runs for me on two other Pentiums... Go figure.

RC2 file size is 12246016.

You could try RC1. It's file size is 9544704

When you have ZProcess pointed to MEncoder's path and set the preffered transcoder to MEncoder, we can try another batch of tests...

By using the defaults, you should be able to manually transcode the file. You can compare notes and see the framerate that MEncoder achieves.

I hope that your computer will be able to run with MEncoder. I do like it better than ffmpeg. I like the subtitle and colour correction support. Pehaps that will be built into ffmpeg soon enough

zehd
2008-04-05, 03:47 AM
Summary

There are several other options that we could have tried, but mostly this should get you started with trying a couple of different things...

ZProcess is supposed to be a turn key install. It asks two questions on first run and then is ready to go.

If it doesn't work for you, you have to see whether your computer is even transcoding files properly in the first place.

Check if GB-PVR and the MVP can play on-the-fly videos using default configuration

Check if ZProcess can manually transcode with default ffmpeg

Check if ZProcess can manually transcode at a quick frame rate using the alt ffmpeg

Try viewing a file with MVP. Try increasing PrePlay delay so that the video plays completely.

Try again with MEncoder...

Good luck

zehd
2008-04-05, 03:53 AM

An update:

I am using the WirelessMVP H3 model (although i am using it wired).

Does anyone else have Zproces working with a H3 wMVP?

Thanks,
S.

Have you tried defaults? have you tried the Hauppauge software?

I'm sure that it shouldn't be the wireless model, although something could be wrong with your particular unit...

opi
2008-04-06, 09:56 AM
Hi Frank,

thank you for this detail explanation.
So I made several test as you requested and find ot following:

Default GBPVR without ZProcess are working fine but Picture ratio by .avi are not corrrect. Both version from FFmpeg working.

GBPVR with ZProcess and FFmpeg (both version) working manually but via MVP the MVP crashed.

GBPVR with ZProcess and MEncoder (ver. RC2) crashed manually and also via MVP.

GBPVR with ZProcess and MEncoder (ver. RC1) works perfect manually and crashed via MVP.

Final results is:
For me works FFmpeg manually, but I dont like the Picture ratio.
MEncoder version RC1 works also manually and the pic ratio is perfect.
So I will use MEncoder RC1 for transcoding.

But: No version from MEncoder and FFmpeg works via MVP.
Every time i get " Trancoder died early" regardless wich transcoder version I used.

So I can transcode all my avi files manually in .mpg but I think thats not the solutions what do you want to arrive.

I guess that GBPVR have a problem with ZProcess or backwards?
Now I am complett helpless.

Did you need some logs??

zehd
2008-04-06, 03:08 PM
Did you need some logs??

You're right. GB-PVR doesn't like ZProcess. It' doesn't mind calling ffmpeg. but doesn't like calling ZProcess.

I would like all the ZProcess logs and files mentioned in my instructions, plus, config.xml...

Try one more time with the MVP, ZProcess and MEncoder RC1 and then gather all gbpvr logs fro the devnz/gbpvr.logs folder...

I'll look, but we might have to bring sub into this...

the.tangoman
2008-04-06, 09:50 PM
Frank,

Thanks for your long and thorough reply. your many suggestions have at least help me understand the issues a little more.

Though i can help in the software development side of things, i hope that i am about to help with this testing stuff.

Some are the answers to your questions, some more observations, and all the logs. (the logs a named with the tests you asked for, they should all contain all the files and configs you need)

1. Check if GB-PVR and the MVP can play on-the-fly videos using default configuration
Yes - i can play the MPG videos you provided and all other MPG videos

2. Check if ZProcess can manually transcode with default ffmpeg
I thought it was working with my long sample clip, but with you short wmv it doesnt. It freezes at 71% and keeps generating log files, looks like it is a endless loop until i manualy stop it

3. Check if ZProcess can manually transcode at a quick frame rate using the alt ffmpeg
Same as above

4. Try viewing a file with MVP. Try increasing PrePlay delay so that the video plays completely.

5. Try again with MEncoder...
I can transcode the .wmv file with mencoder, but not through the MVP.

My MVP is a H4 wMVP
I have now also tested on a Different Ethernet switch
Installed newest version of Zprocess2
Tested and tested with all versions of FFmpeg (see logs)
hauppauge MediaMVP version 3.3.25.032 installed
Transcoding works fine with Hauppauge (but with normal picture in the top only of the screen issues)
Your test videos were very helpfull. My test video yas 45min long, and i also stopped the testing before it finished. With your .wmv i let it run all the way through, and it always but stuck at 71% with FFMpeg (mencode works OK).

I am starting to think that maybe my machine is not up to the task and the FPS rate is droppping too low when GBPVR need to transcode and stream it to the MVP at the same time? But It does work with the hauppauge software?

Let me know if i can do any other tests for you, i may not be able to get back right away will ASAP (I also have a job and a new little baby ;-)

Thanks again for your excellent work in the project, I hope my little bit helps to make it even better.
S.

zehd
2008-04-07, 04:02 AM
Frank,

Thanks for your long and thorough reply. your many suggestions have at least help me understand the issues a little more.

Though i can help in the software development side of things, i hope that i am about to help with this testing stuff.

Some are the answers to your questions, some more observations, and all the logs. (the logs a named with the tests you asked for, they should all contain all the files and configs you need)

1. Check if GB-PVR and the MVP can play on-the-fly videos using default configuration
Yes - i can play the MPG videos you provided and all other MPG videos

2. Check if ZProcess can manually transcode with default ffmpeg
I thought it was working with my long sample clip, but with you short wmv it doesnt. It freezes at 71% and keeps generating log files, looks like it is a endless loop until i manualy stop it

3. Check if ZProcess can manually transcode at a quick frame rate using the alt ffmpeg
Same as above

4. Try viewing a file with MVP. Try increasing PrePlay delay so that the video plays completely.

5. Try again with MEncoder...
I can transcode the .wmv file with mencoder, but not through the MVP.

My MVP is a H4 wMVP
I have now also tested on a Different Ethernet switch
Installed newest version of Zprocess2
Tested and tested with all versions of FFmpeg (see logs)
hauppauge MediaMVP version 3.3.25.032 installed
Transcoding works fine with Hauppauge (but with normal picture in the top only of the screen issues)
Your test videos were very helpfull. My test video yas 45min long, and i also stopped the testing before it finished. With your .wmv i let it run all the way through, and it always but stuck at 71% with FFMpeg (mencode works OK).

I am starting to think that maybe my machine is not up to the task and the FPS rate is droppping too low when GBPVR need to transcode and stream it to the MVP at the same time? But It does work with the hauppauge software?

Let me know if i can do any other tests for you, i may not be able to get back right away will ASAP (I also have a job and a new little baby ;-)

Thanks again for your excellent work in the project, I hope my little bit helps to make it even better.
S.

Thanks for your help. I think I know why my test video is failing at ~71 % with FFmpeg, I will be trying to add some more checking to a new version soon...

You've been quite thorough, thanks. Give me some time to read the logs.

In the meantime, what are your system specifications?

the.tangoman
2008-04-07, 07:16 PM
Frank,

Jut re-reading my post from yesterday - My English was very bad. I hope it made sense, it was a late night and i had a crying baby on one arm.

As Requested my system specs are:

HiGrade laptop Pentium 4 2.4 with 1gb RAM (all the tech details in the Logs) 80gb HDD. Nvidia geforce4 440 go 64M - strange OEM card that i cant find updated drivers for, PVRx2 doesnt fully work on it (some menu items get all artifact'd) but does effect anything else i have ever run.
XP Pro - SP2 (plus all other patches)
Heaps of other software installed - nothing wildly strange.
AVG free virus scanner (tested with it turned off)
I also turned off the windows firewall and dont have any other firewall installed.
I normally use a 802.11 G wifi card, but all my testing is done with a 100mb wired connection
Router is a linksyswrt54gs with dd-wrt. I also tested with a plan wired switch.
I have a wMVP H4, connected via UTP. (strange thing about the MVP is that when it gets a DHCP address, it has no host name registered in the DHCP DB and therefor i have to use the IP address not a nice DNS name)

Happy hunting, let me know if i can help or assist with anything else.

S.

zehd
2008-04-07, 10:30 PM
Frank,

Jut re-reading my post from yesterday - My English was very bad. I hope it made sense, it was a late night and i had a crying baby on one arm.

As Requested my system specs are:

HiGrade laptop Pentium 4 2.4 with 1gb RAM (all the tech details in the Logs) 80gb HDD. Nvidia geforce4 440 go 64M - strange OEM card that i cant find updated drivers for, PVRx2 doesnt fully work on it (some menu items get all artifact'd) but does effect anything else i have ever run.
XP Pro - SP2 (plus all other patches)
Heaps of other software installed - nothing wildly strange.
AVG free virus scanner (tested with it turned off)
I also turned off the windows firewall and dont have any other firewall installed.
I normally use a 802.11 G wifi card, but all my testing is done with a 100mb wired connection
Router is a linksyswrt54gs with dd-wrt. I also tested with a plan wired switch.
I have a wMVP H4, connected via UTP. (strange thing about the MVP is that when it gets a DHCP address, it has no host name registered in the DHCP DB and therefor i have to use the IP address not a nice DNS name)

Happy hunting, let me know if i can help or assist with anything else.

S.

Just a couple of thoughts before I crack into the logs... Your system should be fast enough, but, with heaps of software, I wonder if there is a service or running program that is competing with ZProcess. You actually have a faster computer than me, and as such you should be transcoding at a fps close to 90....

what you could do is run msconfig, and disable all non micorosoft services, and all items in startup folder (make note of what you disabled so you can reenable later)... With nothing else running, you might have much better speed and therefore a much better chance...

Also, the rest of your network should be fine (even wirelessly) but you could have network tweaks that are bottlenecking your speed, even with a wired connection.

the.tangoman
2008-04-13, 07:56 AM
Frank,

Just ran MSconfig and restarted with all the 3rd party services turned off except all but the MS core essential services.

No difference at all - ran at the same fps and still no success on trancoding via MVP.

Let me know if you need any other tests.

S.

zehd
2008-04-13, 08:21 PM
Frank,

Just ran MSconfig and restarted with all the 3rd party services turned off except all but the MS core essential services.

No difference at all - ran at the same fps and still no success on trancoding via MVP.

Let me know if you need any other tests.

S.

I hate to say, but I'm at the end of my tests. I can't think of anything else.

It would be a lot of work, I'm not sure if you wanna do it, but I know that ZProcess works well, and is easy to configure. There's something wrong on your system. So I would actually reinstall your system. I know I had nothing but trouble using mvpmc, so I bit the bullet, reinstalled and it started working lickety split...

Good luck

rblumell
2008-06-02, 03:45 AM
Has anyone had any luck fixing this problem? Manual transcodings work perfectly, but I get the "Transcoder died early" error on the MVP. My logs look very similar to those posted previously in this thread.

I'm completely stuck at this point so any ideas would be great!

zehd
2008-06-02, 03:27 PM
Has anyone had any luck fixing this problem? Manual transcodings work perfectly, but I get the "Transcoder died early" error on the MVP. My logs look very similar to those posted previously in this thread.

I'm completely stuck at this point so any ideas would be great!

Hey there!

As mentioned before, on a normal system, there should be no problem getting a higher than realtime frames per second rate. How does the default ffmpeg work, not using ZProcess at all?

I hinted before that I botched my system using a few network tweaks that were suggested on this forum from a (now banished) user. THese tweaks would not have affected ZProcess, but it shows how a tweak here and there can compromise a system. A complete resinstall fixed the botch and all was well...

That said, I still lean heavily toward something competing with ZProcess.

GB-PVR needs several programs and services to run, including an MVP session. When you view a non-mpeg, it calls ZProcess, which then calls either ffmpeg or mencoder, and the transcode starts. If those programs aren't free to breathe, they run slowly, and therefore the fps is down.

It might all come down to CPU priority.

Within ZProcess, I set GB-PVR Recoreding Service to high, Client to High, MVP server to high. (Remember to restart the recording service after you make the changes)

Also within ZProcess, and the Transcode profile, I make sure the cpu priority is set to 'below normal'. There is an auto trottle that will make this cpu rofile float as needed...

You might want to play with those settings. But remember that this all assumes that there aren't other 3rd party services running that are also competing...

rblumell
2008-06-03, 04:01 AM
How does the default ffmpeg work, not using ZProcess at all?

I'm trying to get this running on an older machine that struggles with the default ffmpeg. The settings I have in the Transcode profile work well manually so I was hoping it would work with GBPVR. I'm sure you are right about it being a competition problem.

Thanks for the suggetions, I'm going to keep on trying different settings and I'll report back if here if I have any luck.

Christopher Lee
2008-06-17, 09:46 PM
I too have this problem... If I use Mender as the transcoder, I will get a few seconds of the movie before it ends abruptly. Zprocess2.exe will terminate without running the actual transcoding if I were to use ffmpeg.

I change the ZProcess2.exe reference in the config.xml file to point to a Zprocess2.cmd instead. The content of the Zprocess2.cmd is as follows:

"C:\Program Files\devnz\GBPVR\Third Party\ZTools\Zprocess2.exe" %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
"C:\Program Files\devnz\GBPVR\Third Party\ZTools\RunTranscode.cmd"

Basically, I run the Zprocess2.exe with all the parameters and then "force" it to run the runTranscode.cmd. So far this works nicely, but the runtranscode.cmd doesn't get the interrupt signal from the GBPVR application when I press "stop" on the remote...

Hopefully this is helpful to others who are trying to solve this puzzle.

Chris

zehd
2008-06-17, 11:20 PM
I too have this problem... If I use Mender as the transcoder, I will get a few seconds of the movie before it ends abruptly. Zprocess2.exe will terminate without running the actual transcoding if I were to use ffmpeg.

I change the ZProcess2.exe reference in the config.xml file to point to a Zprocess2.cmd instead. The content of the Zprocess2.cmd is as follows:

"C:\Program Files\devnz\GBPVR\Third Party\ZTools\Zprocess2.exe" %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
"C:\Program Files\devnz\GBPVR\Third Party\ZTools\RunTranscode.cmd"

Basically, I run the Zprocess2.exe with all the parameters and then "force" it to run the runTranscode.cmd. So far this works nicely, but the runtranscode.cmd doesn't get the interrupt signal from the GBPVR application when I press "stop" on the remote...

Hopefully this is helpful to others who are trying to solve this puzzle.

Chris

That's an interesting hack! It does explain that ZProcess is unable to watch the trancode it and cancel it when you stop viewing the movie

THe runtranscode.cmd is generated each time Zprocess is called, and so this may not work if the aspect ratios inconsistent.

Christopher Lee
2008-07-05, 10:01 PM
What I noticed is that zprocess did run but terminated shortly after it creates the runtranscode.cmd file. By running the runtranscode.cmd manually after the fact, I was able to get the decoding to take place and create the file before MVP times out looking for it.

What this is telling me is that whatever problem we have been having has nothing to do with MVP die waiting too early (the zprocess run and die right after it measure the aspect ratio and generate the .cmd file). Running the zprocess manually works fine as well.

Chris

Fluxman
2008-07-26, 12:50 PM
Hello!

I have the above mentioned problem also. I had GPBPVR 1.1.5 with ZProcess 2.0.72 and had no issues for a longer time, but in the past few days I had some problems with the Media Guide. I thought the upgrade will solve this problem so i did an upgrade to GBPVR 1.2.13 and ZProcess 2.0.247. Now when trying to play any video on my MVP only the first ~3 seconds is decoded then ZProcess exits, and in the logs I get this error:

7/26/2008 1:31:24 PM : 'ZProcess starts'.
7/26/2008 1:31:24 PM : Trans2MVP "F:\Series\Futurama\Futurama - 05 - Fear Of A Bot Planet.avi" "F:\Recordings\MVP000DFE0045972.mpg"
7/26/2008 1:31:24 PM : 0.125 secs from last sub. This sub 'Extracted Filespecs from Command'.
7/26/2008 1:31:24 PM : 0.125 secs from last sub. This sub 'Got Output filename'.
7/26/2008 1:31:24 PM : 0.140625 secs from last sub. This sub 'Killed old MEncoder, FFmpeg, ZTranscode windows'.
7/26/2008 1:31:24 PM : 0.140625 secs from last sub. This sub 'Automode, hidden forms'.
7/26/2008 1:31:24 PM : 0.140625 secs from last sub. This sub 'cmdStart_click'.
7/26/2008 1:31:24 PM : Sending to ZTranscode: "C:\Program Files\Devnz\GBPVR\Third Party\ZProcess\ZTranscode.exe" "F:\Series\Futurama\Futurama - 05 - Fear Of A Bot Planet.avi" "F:\Recordings\MVP000DFE0045972.mpg" ZProcess_hWnd4457094
7/26/2008 1:31:25 PM : ZT: 0.221250000002328 secs from last sub. This sub 'Purge Cache'.
7/26/2008 1:31:25 PM : ZT: 0.315000000002328 secs from last sub. This sub 'Loaded Settings'.
7/26/2008 1:31:25 PM : ZT: 0.315000000002328 secs from last sub. This sub 'Loaded frmConfig'.
7/26/2008 1:31:25 PM : ZT: 0.315000000002328 secs from last sub. This sub 'Set Normal Priority on ZTranscode'.
7/26/2008 1:31:25 PM : ZT: "F:\Series\Futurama\Futurama - 05 - Fear Of A Bot Planet.avi" "F:\Recordings\MVP000DFE0045972.mpg" ZProcess_hWnd4457094
7/26/2008 1:31:25 PM : ZT: 0.330625000002328 secs from last sub. This sub 'Extracted FilesPecs from Command'.
7/26/2008 1:31:25 PM : ZT: 0.330625000002328 secs from last sub. This sub 'Stop Toggle'.
7/26/2008 1:31:25 PM : ZT: 0.330625000002328 secs from last sub. This sub 'FindFirstLargeVOB'.
7/26/2008 1:31:25 PM : ZT: 0.330625000002328 secs from last sub. This sub 'Got Output file'.
7/26/2008 1:31:25 PM : ZT: 0.346250000002328 secs from last sub. This sub 'NewFile'.
7/26/2008 1:31:25 PM : ZT: 0.346250000002328 secs from last sub. This sub 'GetFileInfo'.
7/26/2008 1:31:25 PM : ZT: 0.346250000002328 secs from last sub. This sub 'Written GetFileInfo batch'.
7/26/2008 1:31:25 PM : ZT: 0.486875000002328 secs from last sub. This sub 'Ran and waited for Batch: GetDimensions.bat'.
7/26/2008 1:31:25 PM : ZT: 0.502500000002328 secs from last sub. This sub 'GetRect'.
7/26/2008 1:31:25 PM : ZT: 0.502500000002328 secs from last sub. This sub 'Read Dimensions.info'.
7/26/2008 1:31:25 PM : ZT: 0.502500000002328 secs from last sub. This sub 'CalcNewRect'.
7/26/2008 1:31:25 PM : ZT: 0.721250000002328 secs from last sub. This sub 'cboProfile_click'.
7/26/2008 1:31:25 PM : ZT: 0.721250000002328 secs from last sub. This sub 'Automode, hidden forms'.
7/26/2008 1:31:25 PM : ZT: 0.768125000002328 secs from last sub. This sub 'cmdStart_click'.
7/26/2008 1:31:25 PM : ZT: 0.768125000002328 secs from last sub. This sub 'Check for Cached file.'.
7/26/2008 1:31:25 PM : ZT: 0.768125000002328 secs from last sub. This sub 'Wrote RunTranscode.cmd (including Doevents)'.
7/26/2008 1:31:25 PM : ZT: Transcoding: F:\Series\Futurama\Futurama - 05 - Fear Of A Bot Planet.avi
7/26/2008 1:31:25 PM : ZT: 0.768125000002328 secs from last sub. This sub 'SetPriority to selected, ZTranscode'.
7/26/2008 1:31:25 PM : ZT: 0.768125000002328 secs from last sub. This sub 'Shelled Transcode'.
7/26/2008 1:31:25 PM : ZT: 0.768125000002328 seconds to start transcode
7/26/2008 1:31:25 PM : ZT: 0.768125000002328 secs from last sub. This sub 'Timer1 was enabled'.
7/26/2008 1:31:25 PM : ZT: 0.783750000002328 secs from last sub. This sub 'Hid Windows'.
7/26/2008 1:31:25 PM : ZT: 0.783750000002328 secs from last sub. This sub 'Set Priority to selected, MEncoder.exe'.
7/26/2008 1:31:25 PM : ZT: 0.783750000002328 secs from last sub. This sub 'Set Priority Normal, ZTranscode'.
7/26/2008 1:31:25 PM : ZT: Transcoder died early.. Kill ZProcess and tell ZTranscode to close
7/26/2008 1:31:25 PM : ZT: Playing 'Sorry' video...
7/26/2008 1:31:28 PM : ZT: 53 File not found : during copy of Sorry video...
7/26/2008 1:31:28 PM : ZT: Closes properly
7/26/2008 1:31:28 PM : ZT: Closes properly

The Frame Rates that ZProcess logs:

*** FPS Log Started: 7/26/2008 1:31:25 PM
*** (Polling fps at .25 seconds)

When starting the ZProcess manually everything works fine, the decoding stops only when GBPVR starts ZProcess. The more interesting thing is that, when now I downgrade back to the older version of GBPVR and/or ZProcess i get the same problem. ZProcess decodes only a few sec, then exists without a reason.

I have experimented, running the ZProcess manually, starting the encoding then closing ZProcess while ZTranscode still running in the background. The ZTranscode does not stop, it continues to run in the background, but getting into a loop and restarts the decoding after few seconds of decoding the video, until i manually close it.

Log:

7/26/2008 1:41:27 PM : ***************************************
7/26/2008 1:41:27 PM : 'ZProcess starts'.

7/26/2008 1:41:27 PM : 0.34375 secs from last sub. This sub 'Extracted Filespecs from Command'.
7/26/2008 1:41:27 PM : 0.34375 secs from last sub. This sub 'Got Output filename'.
7/26/2008 1:41:27 PM : 0.34375 secs from last sub. This sub 'Killed old MEncoder, FFmpeg, ZTranscode windows'.
7/26/2008 1:41:42 PM : 14.54688 secs from last sub. This sub 'cmdStart_click'.
7/26/2008 1:41:42 PM : Sending to ZTranscode: "C:\Program Files\Devnz\GBPVR\Third Party\ZProcess\ZTranscode.exe" "F:\Series\Futurama\Futurama - 05 - Fear Of A Bot Planet.avi" "F:\Test.mpg"
7/26/2008 1:41:42 PM : ZT: "F:\Series\Futurama\Futurama - 05 - Fear Of A Bot Planet.avi" "F:\Test.mpg"
7/26/2008 1:41:43 PM : ZT: 0.109375 secs from last sub. This sub 'cmdStart_click'.
7/26/2008 1:41:43 PM : ZT: 0.109375 secs from last sub. This sub 'Wrote RunTranscode.cmd (including Doevents)'.
7/26/2008 1:41:43 PM : ZT: Transcoding: F:\Series\Futurama\Futurama - 05 - Fear Of A Bot Planet.avi
7/26/2008 1:41:43 PM : ZT: 0.109375 secs from last sub. This sub 'SetPriority to selected, ZTranscode'.
7/26/2008 1:41:43 PM : ZT: 0.109375 secs from last sub. This sub 'Shelled Transcode'.
7/26/2008 1:41:43 PM : ZT: 0.109375 seconds to start transcode
7/26/2008 1:41:43 PM : ZT: 0.109375 secs from last sub. This sub 'Timer1 was enabled'.
7/26/2008 1:41:43 PM : ZT: 0.109375 secs from last sub. This sub 'Hid Windows'.
7/26/2008 1:41:43 PM : ZT: 0.109375 secs from last sub. This sub 'Set Priority to selected, MEncoder.exe'.
7/26/2008 1:41:43 PM : ZT: 0.109375 secs from last sub. This sub 'Set Priority Normal, ZTranscode'.
7/26/2008 1:41:44 PM : ZT: *** 1.421875 'First Frames from Transcoder'.
7/26/2008 1:41:52 PM : ZT: Transcoder died early.. Tell ZTranscode to close. Leave ZProcess running
7/26/2008 1:41:52 PM : ZT: Transcoder died early.. Tell ZTranscode to close. Leave ZProcess running
7/26/2008 1:41:53 PM : ZT: Transcoder died early.. Tell ZTranscode to close. Leave ZProcess running
7/26/2008 1:41:53 PM : ZT: 93 fps is fast enough that we will try the default CPU Priority again.
7/26/2008 1:41:53 PM : ZT: Transcoder died early.. Tell ZTranscode to close. Leave ZProcess running
.... and writes this until closing ZTranscode manually.

In the case, ZTranscode produces nearly the same log. I'm only speculating at this point, but i think the following is happening: When the MVP starts the video play, ZProcess starts normally, it generates the needed command files, calculates the dimensions, and starts the ZTranscode. But then for some strange reason it exists ZProcess and leaves the ZTranscode running for a few sec until ZT stops because it detects that there is no ZProcess running... When ZT exits with this error, something deletes the decoded (MVPSOMETHING.mpg) video file too from the recordings. (FFMpeg and the older version leaves the decoded video in the Recordings folder in a normal case...)

Don't know what the problem is, does anybody have an idea what i can do to run ZProcess again ?

Thanks.

zehd
2008-07-26, 09:06 PM
Hello!

I have the above mentioned problem also. I had GPBPVR 1.1.5 with ZProcess 2.0.72 and had no issues for a longer time, but in the past few days I had some problems with the Media Guide. I thought the upgrade will solve this problem so i did an upgrade to GBPVR 1.2.13 and ZProcess 2.0.247. Now when trying to play any video on my MVP only the first ~3 seconds is decoded then ZProcess exits, and in the logs I get this error:

The Frame Rates that ZProcess logs:

When starting the ZProcess manually everything works fine, the decoding stops only when GBPVR starts ZProcess. The more interesting thing is that, when now I downgrade back to the older version of GBPVR and/or ZProcess i get the same problem. ZProcess decodes only a few sec, then exists without a reason.

I have experimented, running the ZProcess manually, starting the encoding then closing ZProcess while ZTranscode still running in the background. The ZTranscode does not stop, it continues to run in the background, but getting into a loop and restarts the decoding after few seconds of decoding the video, until i manually close it.

Log:

In the case, ZTranscode produces nearly the same log. I'm only speculating at this point, but i think the following is happening: When the MVP starts the video play, ZProcess starts normally, it generates the needed command files, calculates the dimensions, and starts the ZTranscode. But then for some strange reason it exists ZProcess and leaves the ZTranscode running for a few sec until ZT stops because it detects that there is no ZProcess running... When ZT exits with this error, something deletes the decoded (MVPSOMETHING.mpg) video file too from the recordings. (FFMpeg and the older version leaves the decoded video in the Recordings folder in a normal case...)

Don't know what the problem is, does anybody have an idea what i can do to run ZProcess again ?

Thanks.

You have described the problem very well. Yes that's exactly how ZProcess works

On MVP, you request to view a non-mpeg
GBPVR calls ZProcess (it holds the handle to that program so it can cancel it if you choose 'Stop' on the MVP)
ZProcess calls ZTranscode. ZTranscode does most of all the work. It is able to detect if ZProcess is still running and if it is not (as in you press 'stop' and GB-PVR 'kills' ZProcess) it closes the transcode and then closes itself. GB-PVR then removes the temp file.

It would appear that the latest versions of GB-PVR is cancelling ZProcess just as if you click 'Stop'. Though I have all the latest versions, and have pretty much version tested straight through develeopment. I can say that my own system is all up to date and everything works well.

I did notice one bug that I think I was able to fix by running 'Remove ZProcess settings.bat' and then running ZProcess to reinitialize all defaults. I then tweak a couple fo settings like position, (no biggy) and everything works fine.

I usually use MEncoder, but there is a newer version of FFmpeg that ships with GBPVR. I actually use the version of FFmpeg suggested on the wiki.

THis has hapened enough that it might be time for sub to look at your logs. So can you snag your gbpvr mvp logs, zip and attach and we'll have sub look.

BTW, ZProcess and Ztranscode share the same log file...

Fluxman
2008-07-28, 03:38 AM
Hi!

Thank you for your answer! Yesterday I've continued investigate the problem further, and I think I've found it! First I've downgraded back to the 1.1.5 and ZProcess 2.0.47 (the old, working config) but the problem remained. After that I was suspected that the problem is nor in the ZProcess, or at the GBPVR. I read through all the logs, and even tried the Sysinternal's Process monitor to see what happens before ZProcess dies. Nothing.

Then I've got an idea to look at the properties of the GB-PVR Recording Service, and there I've found my problem. When upgraded to 1.2.13, I don't know why, but the installer (?) has revoked the permission from the GBPVR Service to interact with the desktop. Normally this is not a problem, but the ZProcess does lot of things on the desktop so it needs that permission to work. However because GBPVR's Service called it didn't have a permission to do it, so the windows killed the process immediately.

I gave back the permission to the GBPVR, and everything returned to normal! Now ZProcess runs again flawlessly! :)

zehd
2008-07-28, 05:23 AM
Hi!

Thank you for your answer! Yesterday I've continued investigate the problem further, and I think I've found it! First I've downgraded back to the 1.1.5 and ZProcess 2.0.47 (the old, working config) but the problem remained. After that I was suspected that the problem is nor in the ZProcess, or at the GBPVR. I read through all the logs, and even tried the Sysinternal's Process monitor to see what happens before ZProcess dies. Nothing.

Then I've got an idea to look at the properties of the GB-PVR Recording Service, and there I've found my problem. When upgraded to 1.2.13, I don't know why, but the installer (?) has revoked the permission from the GBPVR Service to interact with the desktop. Normally this is not a problem, but the ZProcess does lot of things on the desktop so it needs that permission to work. However because GBPVR's Service called it didn't have a permission to do it, so the windows killed the process immediately.

I gave back the permission to the GBPVR, and everything returned to normal! Now ZProcess runs again flawlessly! :)

Thanks. Yes, I write most of my stuff to run in a desktop session. That all makes very good sense...

opi
2008-07-31, 08:33 PM
It is incredible.. it works for me also...all the long time we search the bug and try so much settings and nobody found this small fix !!

I will say THANK YOU FLUXMANN!!!!!!!!!!!

It works and i am happy. :):):):

zehd
2008-07-31, 10:15 PM
It is incredible.. it works for me also...all the long time we search the bug and try so much settings and nobody found this small fix !!

I will say THANK YOU FLUXMANN!!!!!!!!!!!

It works and i am happy. :):):):

This is great. I will add a note to the wiki. Thanks for finding the solution

mag72
2008-08-03, 05:27 PM
That solved it for me too. Thanks so much! I've been trying to figure this out, off and on, for months.

zehd
2008-08-03, 11:18 PM
That solved it for me too. Thanks so much! I've been trying to figure this out, off and on, for months.

That was a needle in the haystack and one of those slap your forehead moments...

Confirm that you have your GB-PVR Recording Service (this handle the MVP Servers too) is set to 'Interact with Desktop'

Open 'Computer Management' and then open Services. Scroll to GB-PVR Recording Service, Right-Click on it and select Properties. Click the 'LogOn' tab and then check the 'Allow service to interact with desktop'.