PDA

View Full Version : Optimize network

petewxm
2008-01-30, 01:08 PM
Hi just wondering is there any settings i can change to optimize my network. Most of the time it works great but now and then I get stuttering.

My system is a pentium 4 3000 and I`m running 2 MVP`s via homeplugs, I get 70+ on each homeplug, and my computer will even allow to transcode 2 xvids on the fly at 98%.

I`m planning on putting a 3rd MVP, so just curious if I can optimize the network at all?

PS I`m using MVPMC dongle

Thanks for any advice

Pete

HarryH3
2008-01-30, 01:42 PM
It seems that many people have stuttering problems when using homeplugs. It has been reported quite a few times here.

However, if you're using 98% CPU to transcode the 2 shows, then adding a 3rd isn't going to work. Also, running at 98% could create some problems when other background apps request time from the CPU, thus stealing cycles away from the transcoding processes.

As for network optimization, I only see 400-650 kBps of data streaming to each of my MVP's while watching a show. That shouldn't put much strain on the network, unless there is also a lot of other traffic at the same time.

petewxm
2008-01-30, 05:09 PM
Cheers harry,

Must be the homeplugs then, not much of a problem only happens from time to time.

Yeah I was just supprise that it could handle transcoding 2 shows at the same time, Most things that will be watched via the mvp`s will be mpeg`s..

I read somewhere about half duplex and full duplex and wondered if I changed it to full duplex would it make a difference, Not sure how to though

Cheers pete

mvallevand
2008-01-30, 05:31 PM
Unfortunately nobody responded to Lindsay's post http://forums.gbpvr.com/showpost.php?p=251886&postcount=12 so I don't know if there is a consensus or not but I found this Vista change useful or I wouldn't have suggested he try it. It's at least worth a shot it doesn't cost anything.

I have the older 14 Mbs Homeplug and it can vary between 9 Mbs and 3 Mbs using the iomega tool that came with it. When I first used it I found one plug that gave the full 14Mbs ... until someone turned on a light in the bathroom and it dropped under 2.

Martin